GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Comparison of the GMS and C&L CAI's with detailed info...

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/06, 12:51 AM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,796 Posts
I agree with you and the mystery is what exactly is the purpose of this re-calibrated MAF sensor if we already know the jumper harness is what actually adjusts for the proper A/F ratio through its modified signal

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 11/3/06, 12:53 AM
eci
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I agree with you and the mystery is ? what exactly is the purpose of this re-calibrated MAF sensor if we already know the jumper harness is what actually adjusts for the proper A/F ratio through it's modified signal
The purpose is an additional 30 RWHP!!!
Old 11/3/06, 12:56 AM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Yea, that's the ticket
Old 11/3/06, 04:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So with C&L claiming..

Gains of 26 rear wheel HP and 22 ft/lbs of torque are realized in "peak to peak" comparison, and as much as 30 more rear wheel HP and 25 ft/lbs of torque in the upper RPM's have been measured, and should be expected.
How does that make them any different than GMS?

With some people falling 10+ HP short of C&L claims, why aren't they sending them back in droves?
Old 11/3/06, 07:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilder10h
Very interesting and very detailed offering Doug.

Which filter do you think is better in terms of leaving the dirt and dust at the door? I didn't order an intake when I bought my tuner from you because I've always heard those open filters don't work as good as a closed airbox and a paper filter. What are your thoughts?
That brings up a good question...
Does the GMS do a good enough job filtering the air? What about C&L? I just bought a Granatelli a couple weeks ago (long before I saw this thread). If GMS provides an inferior filter, will the C&L filter fit (since the two intake tubes are so similar? Like everyone I want more power, but not if it means an inferior filter...
Old 11/3/06, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by eci
My main point isn't about A/F, or whether the GMS CAI makes power. It's that it DOESN'T make twice the power of the C&L as they are basically the SAME THING, only C&L designed it two years earlier.

The bottom line here is msully has implied his GMS CAI and "h-back exhaust" has him at the equivalent of 315 RWHP on a Dynojet, which works to around 370 crank HP. This is a crock of ****.
But I thought all you cared about was the a/f?

Originally Posted by eci
Always dyno when adding a CAI. Canned tune, no tune, whatever. What we DO know is the stock tune is mega rich for headroom. I'd like to see a stock stang dyno'd, then a GMS CAI added and NOTHING else, and then dyno'd. F' the HP and TQ, I want to see the A/F.

You shouldn't just "trust Granatelli".
Jebus, this is getting way out of hand - my car is stock other than the GMS CAI and I can assure you that I didn't buy it because I expected 300+ RWHP.
Old 11/3/06, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, I just made an appointment for tomorrow morning, so I should know exactly where my a/f is, and if it's safe. But, when I actually post the dyno numbers, I'm just going to cut and paste the same dynosheet that GMS has on their website, and alter the graph to say 2005 Mustang GT, like every other GMS user does.
Old 11/3/06, 11:40 AM
GT Member

Hope this isn't a double post....Anyway, don't know if this relates to all the bickering, but last August I took my '07 to Granatelli and had a CAI/MAF installed and Dyno'd as a comparison to an '06. Granatelli was not out of my sight during the Dynos...here is a copy of a post back then:

Saturday as promised. Here are the results

stock for stock they are only 2.7hp apart from each other

after the install of just a Cold Air Intake

so the 2006 did +28.8 HP and +24.1 ft/lbs!
and the 2007 did +25.5 HP and +21.5 ft/lbs!
Old 11/3/06, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Red face

Originally Posted by 05GTRedfire
Well, I just made an appointment for tomorrow morning, so I should know exactly where my a/f is, and if it's safe. But, when I actually post the dyno numbers, I'm just going to cut and paste the same dynosheet that GMS has on their website, and alter the graph to say 2005 Mustang GT, like every other GMS user does.

Uhm, wow. OK, maybe I'll be a little bit more careful about what I say. I just got a PM from another user with a GMS CAI, and he pointed out the times on the two dyno graphs. If you look at the date and time on one of the dynoruns on the GMS website, which says it is on a 2006 Mustang GT here http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...yno27small.jpg it shows the base run being done on 10 August, at 1:44:19 PM. Now, the one that msully posted here which says its on a 2007 GT vert http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...0&d=1162271757 shows the same base HP and torque numbers, and exactly the same date and time, 10 Auguest at 1:44:19 PM. So now I see what eci was referring to, and my apologies. I saw the different cars listed, and also the different HP and torque peaks. Obviously someone really is altering some stuff around here, I just had a hard time believing someone actually would. Msully, if you're still around, would you like to try and clarify this a little? This just gives me more reason to get dynod, so tomorrow, I will have a better idea of what I'm actually putting down. For now, I'm going to go eat a large slice of humble pie. Got milk?
Old 11/3/06, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Blitz
Hope this isn't a double post....Anyway, don't know if this relates to all the bickering, but last August I took my '07 to Granatelli and had a CAI/MAF installed and Dyno'd as a comparison to an '06. Granatelli was not out of my sight during the Dynos...here is a copy of a post back then:

Saturday as promised. Here are the results

stock for stock they are only 2.7hp apart from each other

after the install of just a Cold Air Intake

so the 2006 did +28.8 HP and +24.1 ft/lbs!
and the 2007 did +25.5 HP and +21.5 ft/lbs!
Blitz, I'm not trying to call you a liar or anything, but again, here we have another dyno with the same date and time for a base run, August 10, at 1:44:19 PM. I think I've warped into the Twilight Zone

Edit: OK, I see what you're saying now, first was comparison between the 2006, but still, the date/time thing gives me the heebie jeebies
Old 11/3/06, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eci
At this point I think I am going to remove my C&L, buy a GMS, and install it. I will then take the car to the same dyno, and you will see the same HP.

This still won't prove anything to the GMS shills though, they'll just say my muffler bearings must be bad.
Are you saying you haven't upgraded your muffler bearings yet?

I don't see how just becasue I haven't jumped on the GMS bashing bandwagon that makes us GMS shills.

If you read most of my posts, all I said was it would be nice to see a fair comparison of each product on a dyno so we can see all of the numbers, a/f ratio included.
Old 11/3/06, 12:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Are you saying you haven't upgraded your muffler bearings yet?

I don't see how just becasue I haven't jumped on the GMS bashing bandwagon that makes us GMS shills.

If you read most of my posts, all I said was it would be nice to see a fair comparison of each product on a dyno so we can see all of the numbers, a/f ratio included.
Well I know there were at least 2 people with the GMS CAI who were going to be getting dynod by Doug at the SEMA show, so hopefully we will see some posts from those as well. I wont' have a base run to reference to, but after tomorrow I'll at least be able to know where I'm at now. In spite of all the shenanigans, I do still believe that it is making around the horsepower I think it is. My only real concern right now is the a/f mixture(which I'll know tomorrow), and the effectiveness of the filter itself.
Old 11/3/06, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LBJay
So with C&L claiming..
Gains of 26 rear wheel HP and 22 ft/lbs of torque are realized in "peak to peak" comparison, and as much as 30 more rear wheel HP and 25 ft/lbs of torque in the upper RPM's have been measured, and should be expected.

How does that make them any different than GMS?

With some people falling 10+ HP short of C&L claims, why aren't they sending them back in droves?
It doesn't, every manufacture makes these claims. Have you noticed that even the people that are "pro" GMS are not saying C&L sucks, or Doug's tunes suck, etc. But the pro C&L people are just plain GMS haters.

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Oh, and BTW - ask anyone familiar with dynos, they will pretty much tell you that within reason, you can make them say whatever you want to prove or disprove whatever you are trying to do that day.
I certainly understand your point but that also means that no dyno anyone posts here can be trusted unless by some chance you can get some very independent third party along with a GMS hater in addition to a normal person to witness.
Old 11/3/06, 12:50 PM
Cobra R Member

I can't believe you guys are still worked up so much on this cai. It works. It feels good etc. Looks great. If you like it buy it , you wont be disappointed. Then when your ready to tune, swap out the MAF's install a tune from doug, and be even better. Why is there so much talk about this dyno, that dyno, dates etc. I was a mechanic for about 8 years. I have worked on just about every kind of car. I like the CAI, best looking on the market, other than the plastic C&L racer in my opinion. Polished and shiny. Works Well whatever way you want to run it. I can't wait till doug dyno's my car next weekend, hopefully you all will trust that dyno graph. We will have plenty of witnesses there for the dyno day. So I guess just wait till then. Will post numbers as soon as available. Two thumbs up on this CAI.
Old 11/3/06, 01:11 PM
ski
Bullitt Member

Have you noticed that even the people that are "pro" GMS are not saying C&L sucks, or Doug's tunes suck, etc.
GMS brought this onto itself by deceiving consumers with performance claims for its products that are based on false and misleading test results.

But the pro C&L people are just plain GMS haters.
Even if I used a JLT intake I would still be a GMS hater, simply because I cannot tolerate deceitful people.
Old 11/3/06, 01:33 PM
GT Member

Blitz, I'm not trying to call you a liar or anything, but again, here we have another dyno with the same date and time for a base run, August 10, at 1:44:19 PM. I think I've warped into the Twilight Zone

Edit: OK, I see what you're saying now, first was comparison between the 2006, but still, the date/time thing gives me the heebie jeebies
Redfire--

As I think you realize mine is the'07 Dyno on Aug 12. The "numbers" were "copied"-literally and exactly from a post on this website a few days later..it was posted by Granatelli as a comparison to an '06 that was in his shop a few days earlier. I have copies of my runs at home...we also did a run with one of his throttle bodies which added another 12 RWHP...I stayed with the stock throttle body for now, but will be adding it later. If I remember correctly it brought the total RWHP to 298+a hair.

I posted the info here simply as a point if interest. I must say however I am happy with the set-up, have had no problems, and that my dealer views GMS as a quality operation.

FYI...I just realized my "join" date is the same as my "DYNO date"..I had followed the different topics on TMS since learning way back in March, from this site, that I could order an '07 as early as 3/17...which I did a few days later, takinf delivery 7/20. Never had a reason to post here earlier, although had a lot to say on Blue Oval looking for my car!
Old 11/3/06, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Redfire if its not too much trouble it would be great to see a dyno run with the CAI & TB to see if the 298 # is accurate as well
Old 11/3/06, 01:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Blitz
Redfire--

As I think you realize mine is the'07 Dyno on Aug 12. The "numbers" were "copied"-literally and exactly from a post on this website a few days later..it was posted by Granatelli as a comparison to an '06 that was in his shop a few days earlier. I have copies of my runs at home...we also did a run with one of his throttle bodies which added another 12 RWHP...I stayed with the stock throttle body for now, but will be adding it later. If I remember correctly it brought the total RWHP to 298+a hair.

I posted the info here simply as a point if interest. I must say however I am happy with the set-up, have had no problems, and that my dealer views GMS as a quality operation.

FYI...I just realized my "join" date is the same as my "DYNO date"..I had followed the different topics on TMS since learning way back in March, from this site, that I could order an '07 as early as 3/17...which I did a few days later, takinf delivery 7/20. Never had a reason to post here earlier, although had a lot to say on Blue Oval looking for my car!
Think you could post your copies please?
Old 11/3/06, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by NDHESQ
Redfire if its not too much trouble it would be great to see a dyno run with the CAI & TB to see if the 298 # is accurate as well
Unfortunately no, I have removed my GMS t-body and reverted back to stock. While looking very nice, the idle thing just wore me down on a daily driver.
Old 11/3/06, 02:46 PM
GT Member

Think you could post your copies please?
Redfire....I do not have a scanner...if you PM or e-mail a fax I'll get it to you over the week-end or whenever.

What was your TB doing @ idle??

Quick Reply: Comparison of the GMS and C&L CAI's with detailed info...