GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Borla vs. Corsa: Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 12/19/06, 03:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by saimin
Wow! What a great read (and great soundtrack ). Tom, thanks for taking the time and effort to share all of this with us. My credit cards are rumbling in my wallet to add some rumble to the 'stang

My pleasure! Helping other Mustang fanatics (addicts?) spend their cash on upgrades is always worthwhile!

Besides, making some vids was pretty cool- I'm especially proud of the donut vid for some reason.......
Old 12/20/06, 05:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Tom, great write up, and it's great that your provided valuable experience for everyone looking for the perfect sound and setup.

I'm still looking for the perfect sound to replace my JBA's. The chambered JBA's are just too quite at WOT. I want DEEP first, then no drone, then quite inside while cruising, but LOUD at WOT. So far, sounds like the Corsa's are the best bet. Also seems like they are the most exensive, ha! Just my luck.

Thanks again for the write up!
Old 12/20/06, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

here is a used set that is on e-bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12/20/06, 03:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I just want to say, Tom, your video of the bassani x-pipe and stingers finally made pull the trigger and get a bassani o/r x-pipe. I live in massachusetts, so at some point i will have to get cats BUT since its a modular design, i was thinking of going with magnaflows hi-flo cats before my inspection (July) because they are much cheaper than bassani's. Any opinions would be great.
Old 12/20/06, 03:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Next step:

Best price on the Borlas and Corsas????

Thanks in advance!!
Old 12/20/06, 05:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 69_gt500
I just want to say, Tom, your video of the bassani x-pipe and stingers finally made pull the trigger and get a bassani o/r x-pipe. I live in massachusetts, so at some point i will have to get cats BUT since its a modular design, i was thinking of going with magnaflows hi-flo cats before my inspection (July) because they are much cheaper than bassani's. Any opinions would be great.
You can't go wrong with either Magnaflow or Bassani cats- they're both reputable I'm sure.

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Next step:

Best price on the Borlas and Corsas????

Thanks in advance!!
I bought my Corsas from autopartswarehouse.com last year for just over $600. If you want new check there, & Livernoismotorsports.com. For Borla, you can find them about anywhere but they're all roughly the same price unless you go to like rpmoutlet.com. I've had good experiences with them BUT alot of other people haven't, so be warned.

Otherwise, EBAY rules for what it's worth.
Old 12/20/06, 05:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Hatchman
Thanks Tom, great write up, and it's great that your provided valuable experience for everyone looking for the perfect sound and setup.

I'm still looking for the perfect sound to replace my JBA's. The chambered JBA's are just too quite at WOT. I want DEEP first, then no drone, then quite inside while cruising, but LOUD at WOT. So far, sounds like the Corsa's are the best bet. Also seems like they are the most exensive, ha! Just my luck.

Thanks again for the write up!

Brad, I would LOVE to hear either system with 450h pushing thru them! That's freakin' awesome, I'm so jealous of your car. You suck, LOL!
Old 1/2/07, 05:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great job and thanks, you have a bunch of the setups I was considering. Really appreciate it
Old 1/2/07, 06:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You're welcome! If anyone is wondering, I ran the Bassani X with cats and Borla mufflers for the past month and enjoyed them. However for the recent New Years celebrations, I took the catted X off and installed the offroad H with the Borlas. The sound is SO much meaner and has that "bad attitude" sound... I'm gonna keep it like this for a while.
Old 1/3/07, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tx2005gt
here is a used set that is on e-bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem

That was my old set. I ended up selling those used and made enough to cover the cost of my new exhaust system. As Tom has shown, the factory pipes are not what I would call "smooth" mandrel bent. I purchased the GMS H-Back exhaust system, which included new pipes with the mufflers, I can't believe people are spending so much on Corsa mufflers, and I did initially too, and at the time my main reason was because I didn't want any drone. Well, now that I have the GMS system, I can also say that these do not drone either, and it is a complete exhaust system, instead of just mufflers. The sound is actually a bit bassier/deeper and louder than the Corsa's, and I am very happy with these. So, you can spend ~$600 on mufflers, or almost half that for a complete exhaust system, that sounds and performs better.
Old 1/3/07, 10:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05GTRedfire
That was my old set. I ended up selling those used and made enough to cover the cost of my new exhaust system. As Tom has shown, the factory pipes are not what I would call "smooth" mandrel bent. I purchased the GMS H-Back exhaust system, which included new pipes with the mufflers, I can't believe people are spending so much on Corsa mufflers, and I did initially too, and at the time my main reason was because I didn't want any drone. Well, now that I have the GMS system, I can also say that these do not drone either, and it is a complete exhaust system, instead of just mufflers. The sound is actually a bit bassier/deeper and louder than the Corsa's, and I am very happy with these. So, you can spend ~$600 on mufflers, or almost half that for a complete exhaust system, that sounds and performs better.

Post some clips of those if you can!
Old 2/28/07, 06:29 PM
V6 Member

I can't remember where I read it but, would anyone be able to confirm that the Steeda axle-ack system is actually made by Borla just stamped differently and with different tips?

If so it is not a bad price on their website (sound clip there as well). I dont know if im all that crazy about their tips though. I like the look of the actual Borlas a bit better. I got a price of $809 with shipping to CA. for that and the Bassani X-pipe together (without discounts and all).
Old 2/28/07, 07:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yep, the Steeda system is made by Borla. $809 with shipping for the axle-back kit and X pipe seems like a good deal to me, FWIW.
Old 2/28/07, 07:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Yep, the Steeda system is made by Borla. $809 with shipping for the axle-back kit and X pipe seems like a good deal to me, FWIW.
+1 on that