GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Borla vs. Corsa: Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/06, 04:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Ok you Borla lovers....... as soon as I regain feeling in my forearms, I'll be ready to get another set of clips- Borlas with the Bassani X, NO CATS. That's right, the cats are off and the race pipes (offroad pipes) are on- now just gotta finish the reinstallation and I'll be ready to roar!
Old 12/2/06, 05:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
score! I cant wait to hear borla w/ or X
Old 12/2/06, 05:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Great!! I have magnaflows and an OR X-pipe. I am thinking about doing Bassanis, but am eager to hear what the Borlas sound like.
Old 12/2/06, 06:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, this isn't the best clip but atleast its consistent with the other "garage" clips in this thread. I couldn't rev it much past 3500 rpm because it is LOUD and I have neighbors..... This X with no cats really woke the Borlas up; they are LOUD LOUD LOUD and after a quick test drive I think I'll keep it that way for a day or so while I try the Corsas- then likely the cats are going back in.

There is a noticeable rasp now, and what I wouldn't describe as drone but more like interior resonance overall. I'll take it out tomorrow morning for my normalSunday morning thrashing and see just how noticeable the resonance is. My immediate thoughts other than the loudness and the rasp is that the offroad H sounded alittle better with the Borlas than the X does; I'll continue my judgement tomorrow.

Garage clip:

Old 12/2/06, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tom,

You are the man! You also must be really sick of changing exhaust parts as well.
Old 12/2/06, 07:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05-1947
Tom,

You are the man! You also must be really sick of changing exhaust parts as well.
Yep, I'm getting alittle tired of it... but its pretty cool hearing the setups. I had to work hard to get the racepipes into the X- hopefully I can manage to get them out when it's time.
Old 12/3/06, 12:27 AM

That was going to be my next question.
How easy/hard is it to switch from race pipes to cats? It would be nice if you could take off the cats for some weekend fun then be able to slide under there and put them back on - granted it's not 1hr+ job.

When you take it out for soem fun with the o/r X and Borla see if you can film it i am interested in hearing it at WOT or close to it. Good time to grab the Mrs. for that. Thats what god gave them arms for - to hold the camera still
Old 12/3/06, 08:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, here is a clip of the Borlas with no cats at WOT. If it didn't have the trumpeting and resonance, it would be awesome.

I tried to capture some of the interior resonance of the Borlas with no cats- see if you can hear it:

Overall it would be a killer sound if it didn't have the trumpeting and resonance. Also as a side note, with this setup the car feels like its lost alittle lowend but gained alittle topend....weird.
Old 12/3/06, 09:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Brent would be proud of you. LOL

I think I liked the sound of the Borla's with the cats rather than without.

So what is next, the Corsa's with this same set up?

How easy/hard is it to switch from race pipes to cats?
It is not easy. If they made them to just bolt in with some type of flange yes, but they don't. You actually have to slide them on the down pipes, and then slide them into the X portion of the pipe, which then has to the catback pipes sliding into it.....

Like Tom said, if the catback attached to the x like the factory h, then it would be a lot easier.
Old 12/3/06, 09:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Brent would be proud of you. LOL

I think I liked the sound of the Borla's with the cats rather than without.

So what is next, the Corsa's with this same set up?

I don't know......I want to try the Corsas but I also just want to put the cats back on and do more evaluation between the Borlas and Corsas. We'll see- I'm heading out to the garage now.
Old 12/3/06, 11:44 AM
Cobra Member

Very cool...so far I like the O/r X with the stingers best...but its kind of hard to tell what it really sounds like with the wind in the driveby video
Old 12/3/06, 12:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
I don't know......I want to try the Corsas but I also just want to put the cats back on and do more evaluation between the Borlas and Corsas. We'll see- I'm heading out to the garage now.
Gooooooo..... Borla!!!
Old 12/3/06, 12:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, I got the cats back in. This is a good example of what to expect to when changing from cats to race pipes- it just took me about 2.5 hours non-stop. The biggest problem being trying to remove the cats and/or race pipes after inserting them into the X and down pipes and clamping them down- they are next to impossible to remove, atleast using the tools that I have- air, hammer, vise, etc. I've basically decided that I'm gonna leave the cats in, and when I feel like raisin' heck I'm just gonna drop the whole assembly and reinstall the offroad H- it sounds better than the offroad X anyway IMO. I can remove/reinstall the o/r H in about 45 minutes- much quicker than changing the configuration of the Bassani X.

So I've got the cats in and the Borlas on- I'm gonna leave it like that for a couple days and take a break from this exhaust work for now. I'll post back in a couple of days and run with the Corsas for a while then too. Hopefully this info and the clips have helped some of you out in your decision making; I'm gonna grab a beer and watch the Colts.

Tom
Old 12/3/06, 03:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yep, after watching my installer struggle with the pipe I knew it would stay in Cat form! I think if most people knew how hard the switch time is, they would not buy the pipe.

Hey Tom, I know that this helped a lot of people and I am sure they are thankful for your hard labor. I am drinking a beer too, so cheers to ya.
Old 12/3/06, 08:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow Tom...you must really love your car.I know how you feel.I've many a night installing headers,steel and free flow cast iron units on my older street machines.Its no fun but the reward is more performance and a better sounding car.Good Job!
Old 12/4/06, 08:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yep, after watching my installer struggle with the pipe I knew it would stay in Cat form! I think if most people knew how hard the switch time is, they would not buy the pipe.

Hey Tom, I know that this helped a lot of people and I am sure they are thankful for your hard labor. I am drinking a beer too, so cheers to ya.
Thanks for the kind words!

Originally Posted by GrabberOgre
Wow Tom...you must really love your car.I know how you feel.I've many a night installing headers,steel and free flow cast iron units on my older street machines.Its no fun but the reward is more performance and a better sounding car.Good Job!
I do love my car! I take great pride in how my car looks and is kept overall- and in my opinion how it sounds is just as important as how it looks. Changing all these setups and making clips was pretty fun overall. Plus, while I was under the car all that time I got to scope out other potential mods, like motor mounts and longtube headers, new upper control arm (would be much easier to change if you remove the overaxle pipes), rear springs and shocks, etc.
Old 12/4/06, 02:58 PM
FR500 Member

If and when you go longubes, it's a great time to change out the K-member and motor mounts. It makes the header install a lot easier
Old 12/4/06, 03:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SixtySix
If and when you go longubes, it's a great time to change out the K-member and motor mounts. It makes the header install a lot easier

Yep, sure looks that way! Thanks for the advice.
Old 12/6/06, 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you end up going with the Corsas and want to sell the Borlas let me know, because Im going dual with my car and want a set of stingers!
Old 12/18/06, 05:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Okay I've got a dilemma. My car was rear-ended and insurance is paying for new mufflers. My body shop guy said that the Magnaflows on the car are 617.00(yes I know I can find them cheaper). I liked the Maganflows, but I am thinking of running something different. I am thinking of running Corsa's or Bassani's. I thought Tom ran Corsa's with an OR X. Please provide me with some insight!! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Jason

Quick Reply: Borla vs. Corsa: Part 1