GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Borla vs. Corsa: Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/06, 11:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I haven't heard Corsa's in person, I won't give up my Borlas EVER!! Everyone that hears them are impressed, and tell me, thats how a modern muscle car should sound like. I love it when I make a left onto an empty highway, and stand on it. WHAT A SOUND!!!!
Old 11/29/06, 01:06 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Tom, if the Borlas aren't loud enough for you, throw a blower on! Trust me, that'll wake them up!

I've heard the Corsa's in person and I couldn't imagine them being louder than my Stingers....
Old 11/29/06, 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by S197 GT
Hey Tom, if the Borlas aren't loud enough for you, throw a blower on! Trust me, that'll wake them up!

I've heard the Corsa's in person and I couldn't imagine them being louder than my Stingers....
I've bought the colder Autolite plugs for $70 delivered; a set of 39lb injectors for $50 delivered; a guage pod and other misc. items really cheap, alittle bit at a time...... guess what they're going towards? Next decision: blower or turbo....

Anyway back to the topic at hand, I know maybe I'm crazy but on my car with the same mid-pipe the Corsas are noticeably louder. I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't pitch related- the Borlas are noticeably lower pitched so maybe I'm not picking up on their total volume compared to what I hear with the Corsas? Who knows, maybe I'm just on drugs- or I need some. I'll be back once I try out the X with and w/o cats, and with both mufflers.
Old 11/29/06, 04:36 PM
Cobra Member

Im really anxious to hear the HiFloX and O/R X with the Stingers...Because this is the decision Ive been contemplating over and over again.

Honestly I will probably just buy a Bassani HiFlo X with O/R Sleeves to go in place of the cats.
Old 11/29/06, 04:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
Im really anxious to hear the HiFloX and O/R X with the Stingers...Because this is the decision Ive been contemplating over and over again.

Honestly I will probably just buy a Bassani HiFlo X with O/R Sleeves to go in place of the cats.

Well the Bassani X with cats and o/r sleeves is what I bought- so I'll be able to give you a good idea and hopefully good sound clips too.
Old 11/29/06, 05:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Borla's...

Originally Posted by tom281
Grab a drink, this could be a long one.... For those of you that are interested and those of you that are anxiously waiting (hey Scott!), here's part 1 of the story.

Background: I've been running Corsa mufflers with a Pypes offroad H pipe for months now. Overall I am happy with the sound but at times, its too loud for me. The Corsas with the factory Ford H is to quiet for me in comparison. So I thought I'd get a catted X pipe and I came across a good deal on the Bassani X with both removeable cats and offroad pipes; best of both worlds. While I was looking I also came across a great deal on a complete Borla "stinger" catback (with the over-axle pipes) so I bought it too. No toys for the kids at Christmas this year...... hopefully they're young enough to not remember it (JOKING!).

Anyway so tonight I installed the Borlas inplace of the Corsas. Knowing how the stingers are loud I was expecting it to be MUCH LOUDER and have drone compared to the Corsas. After starting the car, I was **** near speachless; instantly the car was much deeper but also MUCH QUIETER than the Corsas! I am really amazed at how quiet they are with the same offroad H compared to Corsa; they're almost too quiet for my liking. They are much deeper, which is great- but man I wish they were louder. I honestly can not imagine the people that are running the Borla mufflers with the factory cats; if you think your setup is loud, you would faint if you heard my Corsas with an offroad H! No joking, it is much different than what I expected; partially a disappointment. Not taking anything away from the Borlas- they're awesome quality but really they with the o/r H are not much louder than Corsas with factory Ford H.

Pix:

Factory over-axle pipes / Borla replacments:

Why you should get the replacement pipes:

Pypes offroad H:

Corsa / Borla comparison:

I will get soundclips of the Borlas and o/r H later this week; you can compare them to the Corsas and o/r H clip here:

Steps yet to come once the Bassani midpipe arrives:

1) Borlas with Bassani offroad X
2) Borlas with Bassani catted X
3) Corsas with Bassani offroad X
4) Corsas with Bassani catted X

Thanks,

Tom
w/Catback I have had numerous Mustang enthusisats tell me its the best sounding mustang they've heard...of course that is with a JLT intake and tune.....to me, that is just fine...i do not need obnoxious sound under load..may be just me....at 25K miles it turns heads ...period....
Old 11/29/06, 06:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Don't misinterpret what I'm saying- I'm not bashing the Borlas at all and I don't want an obnoxious sounding system either. I'm just reporting what I've found to be accurate between the 2 exhausts.
Old 11/29/06, 06:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm very happy with the Stingers,very deep as mentioned and just for appearance sake I like the fact that the mufflers are hard to see from the back,nothing but exhuast tips is all you see.I'm in the geezer club(50) ,if I can handle these grunty Stingers you otta hear my pro-street car.
Old 11/29/06, 07:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That's a great point about the Borlas; they are pretty much hidden compared to the Corsas. I personnally like the Corsa tips better, but they are much harder to keep clean.
Old 11/29/06, 07:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow Tom, this topic seems to have really attracted a lot of attention.
Old 11/29/06, 08:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As of right now, whats the call? Borla or Corsa?
Old 11/29/06, 08:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

he hasn't received his x pipe yet, so he won't have a answer yet.
Old 11/30/06, 07:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05-1947
he hasn't received his x pipe yet, so he won't have a answer yet.

I did just received my Bassani X pipe today and let me tell you, it is a complete, royal PITA to install. I've spent over 3 hours tonight putting it in and I'm not even done yet- gotta go back and align the tips, tighten the clamps, etc. I can not believe how much of a ***** it is to install- I can remove and reinstall my offroad H in 45 minutes! I know alot of it has to do with the kit being modular and having to piece it together, so maybe after I r&r it a couple of times it will go easier. I don't want to mess with it without any help again though, for sure.

I'm too tired to document it now- I'll do a write up about the results tomorrow........

Tom
Old 11/30/06, 09:32 PM

I'm excited too! Make sure to post vids of the Xpipe with the Borla's!

Your doing your Mustang brothers a real service by what you are doing!
Old 12/1/06, 02:04 PM

Can't wait ... just wanna know what the off road X sounds like with the Corsas.
Old 12/1/06, 02:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Not thread Hijacking, just had the Magnaflow Hi-Flow catted X installed. to go with my FRPP/Stingers. I'll try to get a clip up sometime this weekend.
Old 12/1/06, 02:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tom how much is that mid pipe replacement from Borla? I looked on they're site and couldn't find it.
Old 12/1/06, 02:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
While I haven't heard Corsa's in person, I won't give up my Borlas EVER!! Everyone that hears them are impressed, and tell me, thats how a modern muscle car should sound like. I love it when I make a left onto an empty highway, and stand on it. WHAT A SOUND!!!!
+1

Tom, I understand your exhaust experiment. Keep us posted with vid clips of the various combinations you're trying.
Old 12/1/06, 03:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Not thread Hijacking, just had the Magnaflow Hi-Flow catted X installed. to go with my FRPP/Stingers. I'll try to get a clip up sometime this weekend.
how did the sound grow with the X in comparison to just the stingers?
Old 12/1/06, 05:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by tom281
That's a great point about the Borlas; they are pretty much hidden compared to the Corsas. I personnally like the Corsa tips better, but they are much harder to keep clean.
Tom,

When you complete this project and if you decide not to keep the Corsas, send me a PM please - I'd like to buy them.

I've got Flowmasters on the stock piping now and the Corsas seem to be the best choice for the stock environment.

Thanks, Chris.

Quick Reply: Borla vs. Corsa: Part 1