GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Borla vs. Corsa: Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/06, 05:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by max2000jp
Okay I've got a dilemma. My car was rear-ended and insurance is paying for new mufflers. My body shop guy said that the Magnaflows on the car are 617.00(yes I know I can find them cheaper). I liked the Maganflows, but I am thinking of running something different. I am thinking of running Corsa's or Bassani's. I thought Tom ran Corsa's with an OR X. Please provide me with some insight!! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Jason

JEEZZZZ!! I bet your bodyman would sell you the Corsa'a or Bassani for about $850.00. Why not buy them yourself and just take them to him and say "INSTALL THESE"
Scott
Old 12/18/06, 05:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
JEEZZZZ!! I bet your bodyman would sell you the Corsa'a or Bassani for about $850.00. Why not buy them yourself and just take them to him and say "INSTALL THESE"
Scott
I am not paying for them, insurance is. He just went on Magnaflow's website and found the MSRP. I am going to be buying the mufflers myself and having them dropped shipped at the body shop.
Old 12/18/06, 05:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am not paying for them, insurance is. He just went on Magnaflow's website and found the MSRP. I am going to be buying the mufflers myself and having them dropped shipped at the body shop.

Well, in that case get the best!!! Borla catback system!! You won't be disappointed!!!!
Scott
Old 12/18/06, 06:36 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Well, in that case get the best!!! Borla catback system!! You won't be disappointed!!!!
Scott
..+1
Old 12/18/06, 06:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

How do the Borlas sound with an OR X-Pipe? I know Tom said they were a bit raspy, but all exhausts with an X will be. I want something deeper and a bit louder than my Magnaflows.
Old 12/18/06, 06:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I gotta catch a flight home- I'll post my thoughts late tonight or tomorrow morning- I've ahd all 3 on this car- bassani, borla, and corsa.
Old 12/18/06, 07:03 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do the Borlas sound with an OR X-Pipe? I know Tom said they were a bit raspy, but all exhausts with an X will be. I want something deeper and a bit louder than my Magnaflows.
Deeper and louder will definently be frpp/stingers
Old 12/18/06, 08:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok I'm back.....

The Bassanis with factory H were pretty good sounding. When ran with an offroad H, I didn't care much for the sound. It trumpeted badly at 2500rpm, enough that I didn't eventually get used to it but rather ended up hating it. So I bought the Corsas.....

The Corsas were just as deep as the Bassanis but at WOT, were noticeably louder. At cruising speed, they were quieter. Really the Corsas are definetly unique- they truly can be quiet and LOUD at the same time, just depending on throttle.

The Borlas by comparison are noticeably deeper than both the Bassani and Corsa. When compared directly against the Corsa, the Stingers have more rumble while the Corsas have more of a "mechanical" sound. They both however sounded better with the offroad H than the Bassanis did, for sure.

And remember my comment about the Borlas and offroad X being raspy? Like you said, most o/r X's will have some rasp to them. And that was a direct comparison to the o/r H- so without hearing that comparison yourself, you may be perfectly happy with the Borlas. And they will, FOR SURE, be louder than Magnaflows.
Old 12/18/06, 10:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Ok I'm back.....

The Bassanis with factory H were pretty good sounding. When ran with an offroad H, I didn't care much for the sound. It trumpeted badly at 2500rpm, enough that I didn't eventually get used to it but rather ended up hating it. So I bought the Corsas.....

The Corsas were just as deep as the Bassanis but at WOT, were noticeably louder. At cruising speed, they were quieter. Really the Corsas are definetly unique- they truly can be quiet and LOUD at the same time, just depending on throttle.

The Borlas by comparison are noticeably deeper than both the Bassani and Corsa. When compared directly against the Corsa, the Stingers have more rumble while the Corsas have more of a "mechanical" sound. They both however sounded better with the offroad H than the Bassanis did, for sure.

And remember my comment about the Borlas and offroad X being raspy? Like you said, most o/r X's will have some rasp to them. And that was a direct comparison to the o/r H- so without hearing that comparison yourself, you may be perfectly happy with the Borlas. And they will, FOR SURE, be louder than Magnaflows.
Thanks a lot! It sounds like the Corsas are great. They are quiet when cruising and loud when you want them to be. Did the Corsas trumpet around 2500 with the OR pipes?
Old 12/18/06, 10:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Also we are talking about these Borla's(FRPP):
http://www.suttonhp.com/store/item.a...ARTMENT_ID=110
Old 12/19/06, 05:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks a lot! It sounds like the Corsas are great. They are quiet when cruising and loud when you want them to be. Did the Corsas trumpet around 2500 with the OR pipes?
The Corsas would trumpet very slightly at 2500rpm, only under certain conditions: mostly like when you really doggin' around town, running a gear higher than you could be (picture driving 35-40 mph in 5th gear). Other than that, I was really happy with the Corsas and offroad H- the only reason why I started messing around was because at times, it was just too loud for my tastes. I still say, and people may think that I'm crazy, but with the offroad H at WOT, the Corsas were louder than the Borlas.
Old 12/19/06, 05:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Also we are talking about these Borla's(FRPP):
http://www.suttonhp.com/store/item.a...ARTMENT_ID=110
Yep- I have the actual Borla brand but the mufflers are the same- only the tips are different. Heres a pic of the Corsa (left) and Borla (right):

Old 12/19/06, 07:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The Corsas would trumpet very slightly at 2500rpm, only under certain conditions: mostly like when you really doggin' around town, running a gear higher than you could be (picture driving 35-40 mph in 5th gear). Other than that, I was really happy with the Corsas and offroad H- the only reason why I started messing around was because at times, it was just too loud for my tastes. I still say, and people may think that I'm crazy, but with the offroad H at WOT, the Corsas were louder than the Borlas.
Sorry for all the questions, but I want to get this right. It's hard to pick a good setup when you have an OR mid-pipe. Right now, I've got a OR X-pipe and Magnaflows and it sounds pretty good, but I want something deeper. I am trying to not increase trumpeting though. I've read that Magnaflows are similar to the OEM mufflers with the OEM H-pipe. That means that the Corsas and FRRP/Borlas are going to be a bit louder, which I don't mind. Per your post above, it seems like the Corsas work well under normal conditions and when on the highway. This is a tough decision
Old 12/19/06, 08:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah dude I don't mean to sound wishy-washy but basically it comes down to this IMO:

-The Corsas are quieter at cruising, have no drone, have very little trumpeting, and are LOUD at WOT with the offroad pipe.

-The Borlas are little louder when cruising, have some done (not much with the offroad pipe), have some noticeable trumpeting, and are LOUD and DEEPER at WOT with the offroad pipe.

If I was going to run the offroad pipe everyday, I probably would've stayed with the Corsas. But since I'm running a catted X now, I've decided to keep the Borlas. I figure when I do put the offroad back on, I can live with the extra volume and noise. Either one of these systems is going to sound much different than your Magnaflows because these are both straight-thru designs, whereas your Mags are chambered.
Old 12/19/06, 08:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yeah dude I don't mean to sound wishy-washy but basically it comes down to this IMO:

-The Corsas are quieter at cruising, have no drone, have very little trumpeting, and are LOUD at WOT with the offroad pipe.

-The Borlas are little louder when cruising, have some done (not much with the offroad pipe), have some noticeable trumpeting, and are LOUD and DEEPER at WOT with the offroad pipe.

If I was going to run the offroad pipe everyday, I probably would've stayed with the Corsas. But since I'm running a catted X now, I've decided to keep the Borlas. I figure when I do put the offroad back on, I can live with the extra volume and noise. Either one of these systems is going to sound much different than your Magnaflows because these are both straight-thru designs, whereas your Mags are chambered.
Thanks! Both the Borlas and Corsas sound like winners. One correction though: The Magnaflows have a straight thru design as well.
Old 12/19/06, 10:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks! Both the Borlas and Corsas sound like winners. One correction though: The Magnaflows have a straight thru design as well.

DOH! I thought only the Magnapacks did. Sorry!
Old 12/19/06, 01:01 PM
V6 Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Not thread Hijacking, just had the Magnaflow Hi-Flow catted X installed. to go with my FRPP/Stingers. I'll try to get a clip up sometime this weekend.
Hi Gary!
Unless I missed it, I didn't see your clips with your combo. I'd really love to hear it for I already have the stingers on my car and I'm contemplating on purchasing the Magnaflow X with Hi-Flow cats next spring. How's the drone with that set up?
Thanks,
John.
Old 12/19/06, 01:58 PM
Cobra Member

Tom do you happen to have any clips from your camera that are just Borla Stingers and factory H? Because I think it would make an easier comparison to how much the catted X, O/R X, and O/R H actually changed the exhaust note.

Right now I am looking for a new mid pipe, but am really torn on what I should get. Ive always liked the little rasp that the X produces, but then again Im also a sucker for the O/R H with Stingers. Its also important, but not necessary that I stay legal, so I am considering a Catted X setup aswell. I may have missed it, but how would you say the catted X changed the overall exhaust note with the stingers? On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate Stock, Stingers, O/r H and Stingers, O/R X and stingers, and finally Catted X with stingers? Sorry for the long post, I just want to make sure I make a decision with exhaust that Im going to love.
Old 12/19/06, 02:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Matt-

As stupid as it sounds, believe it or not with all the different combos that I tried, I have never ran the factory catted H with the Borlas. I figured that if I run cats, it will be the hi-flow cats on the Bassani X so I never took the time.

I can say this: talking about the Corsas only, the Bassani catted X was louder than the factory catted H. BUT, I don't know if it was because of the difference in cats, or the difference in the pipes. It wasn't day-to-night different, but noticeably different anyhow.
Old 12/19/06, 02:50 PM

Wow! What a great read (and great soundtrack ). Tom, thanks for taking the time and effort to share all of this with us. My credit cards are rumbling in my wallet to add some rumble to the 'stang

Quick Reply: Borla vs. Corsa: Part 1