GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/06, 12:28 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That blows man!!!! Sorry to hear that Don! She wasn't a daily driver was she??
Old 2/24/06, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(S197 GT @ February 24, 2006, 11:31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
She wasn't a daily driver was she??
[/b][/quote]Absolutely a daily driver... 17,000+ miles in just under 10 months.
Old 2/24/06, 12:40 PM
3rd Times A Charm

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 24, 2006, 11:40 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Absolutely a daily driver... 17,000+ miles in just under 10 months.
[/b][/quote]

Sorry to hear that man! I wish you the best in your rebuild!
Old 2/24/06, 12:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don,
Sorry to see it blow [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img] Hope you get back on the road in time for racing season this year.

The Boss Hog
Old 2/24/06, 01:29 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Boss Hog @ February 24, 2006, 11:57 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hope you get back on the road in time for racing season this year.[/b][/quote]
Luckily for me, racing season is 12-months long here. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Although, my participation in the local Summit Series is in question now.
Old 2/24/06, 02:11 PM
Cobra Member

You are sure handling this well. I'd be upset, but it sounds like you alaready had plans for the funeral and rebirth of the engine in the back of your mind. Good luck with the stronger rebuild!
Old 2/24/06, 02:57 PM
GT Member

I am sorry to hear Don, I always enjoyed reading about your fun. I hope I will be reading about it once again - soon.

Do you think the CEL's you were getting could be at issue here? I do. There's something to think about anyway.... (I am sure you and Adam are scratching your heads on this continuously).
Old 2/24/06, 03:09 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lodom @ February 24, 2006, 1:14 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You are sure handling this well. I'd be upset, but it sounds like you alaready had plans for the funeral and rebirth of the engine in the back of your mind. Good luck with the stronger rebuild!
[/b][/quote]Well, to be honest, I was in a state of shock yesterday, but since it's irreversible I might as well look forward rather than back. I didn't expect to have to build the bottom end quite this soon, but I've always said if you want to play, you better be prepared to pay.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GIG4FUN @ February 24, 2006, 2:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I am sorry to hear Don, I always enjoyed reading about your fun. I hope I will be reading about it once again - soon.

Do you think the CEL's you were getting could be at issue here? I do. There's something to think about anyway.... (I am sure you and Adam are scratching your heads on this continuously).
[/b][/quote]
We're definitely going to investigate that CEL more. I have no idea if it contributed, but the thought has crossed my mind. The senors and connectors will be replaced, and the wiring thoroughly inspected.
Old 2/24/06, 03:19 PM
GT Member

Wow. Really sorry, Don.
Old 2/24/06, 03:29 PM
Cobra Member

I would either be ballin' like a little baby or staying really drunk for a week..... You are handling this well! Like you said, on to bigger, stronger and faster!!!! Now you have to decide what's gonna be the best set up.
Old 2/24/06, 03:55 PM
Cobra Member

What does it take to make our motor the same as the Terminator's motor? I'm serious help me out. They have an Iron block, correct? Our are aluminum. Ok, so an iron block won't go kablooie. Why will ours. Is it the block, or the internals? Can the internals be changed to over to forged and other material, keep the aluminum block and be ok? The z06 has an aluminum block with forged internals. They seem to be fine. Help me out here so I can understand this better.
Matt
Old 2/24/06, 03:57 PM
GT Member

Sorry to hear that Don. If you want the new motor to live a long and happy life think twice about a stroker. Weaker crank, more side loading on the rods, and piston scuffing is almost a certainty. If you want more cubes get a 5.4 block. Just my 2 cents from talking to some good engine builders.
Old 2/24/06, 04:22 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Route 66 @ February 24, 2006, 2:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What does it take to make our motor the same as the Terminator's motor? I'm serious help me out. They have an Iron block, correct? Our are aluminum. Ok, so an iron block won't go kablooie. Why will ours. Is it the block, or the internals? Can the internals be changed to over to forged and other material, keep the aluminum block and be ok? The z06 has an aluminum block with forged internals. They seem to be fine. Help me out here so I can understand this better.
Matt[/b][/quote]From everything I've been able to dtermine, is that the 3V aluminum block is not an issue. And yes, you can stuff the forged internals into the alum block and be OK. In my case, I have to replace the block now, so I'm weighing the cost vs. weight... a new alum block is a lot more money.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackonBlack @ February 24, 2006, 3:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Sorry to hear that Don. If you want the new motor to live a long and happy life think twice about a stroker. Weaker crank, more side loading on the rods, and piston scuffing is almost a certainty. If you want more cubes get a 5.4 block. Just my 2 cents from talking to some good engine builders.[/b][/quote]Interesting points on the stroker... anyone else have similar thoughts?

And I'm thinking the deck height on a 5.4 might cause a lot of additional issues for a swap.
Old 2/24/06, 04:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackonBlack @ February 24, 2006, 6:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Sorry to hear that Don. If you want the new motor to live a long and happy life think twice about a stroker. Weaker crank, more side loading on the rods, and piston scuffing is almost a certainty. If you want more cubes get a 5.4 block. Just my 2 cents from talking to some good engine builders.
[/b][/quote]

Hey Don,
I agree with Bob about the stroker. Although going from 281 to 302 CI is not that great amount. I have seen 1st hand the extra wear that is created by stroking a motor. A friend of mine stroked a 94' 302 to 347 CI with a popular kit. It was an awesome motor early on. Power was great and it seemed there was no down side. It was a daily driver like yours and after about 20K on that motor it started using oil like an old Harley. I helped him tear that motor down and the sides of the pistons and cylinder walls were scuffed up very bad. For what my opinion is worth I think I would stay with the stock CI and go totally forged with a Teskid block or try and fit the 5.4 block in there with the KB supercharger. The standard 281 CI with forged internals and your KB blower will make more power for a daily driver than you will ever need. Another thought would be to try and find a 03 or 04 cobra motor that already has all the goodies and will mate to your transmission I think?? Just a thought. But I know some of the 03 and 04's are making 550-580 RWHP very safely. Some thing to consider.
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/24/06, 04:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 24, 2006, 5:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well, to be honest, I was in a state of shock yesterday, but since it's irreversible I might as well look forward rather than back. I didn't expect to have to build the bottom end quite this soon, but I've always said if you want to play, you better be prepared to pay.
[/b][/quote]

Don, I'm really sorry hear about this. I've enjoyed following your car getting vicarious enjoyment from it; heart breaking. You've a great attitude and yes, you've always cautioned those modding out their cars about paying to play. Wise words which gave me pause before I started my own modding and got me to think honestly about just how much I could afford to do. A speedy recovery and I'm looking forward to seeing her back. Bigger, stronger and faster [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/24/06, 06:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Wont be needing that eH20 anymore will ya?
Old 2/24/06, 06:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stoenr @ February 24, 2006, 8:09 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

That seems to be in poor taste at this time [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img]
Scott
Old 2/24/06, 06:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I know dons got a good sense of humor.
Old 2/24/06, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don, Very sorry to hear this. My sincere condolences and best of luck with the new bullet.
Michael
Old 2/24/06, 06:30 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stoenr @ February 24, 2006, 5:09 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

I'll sell it to you complete with a "vented" aluminum 3V block attached... $1,000 shipped. I take PayPal. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Actually, I will be reusing the pump. Forged shortblocks still require a water pump. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackonBlack @ February 24, 2006, 3:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(70MACH1OWNER @ February 24, 2006, 3:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hey Don,
I agree with Bob about the stroker. Although going from 281 to 302 CI is not that great amount. I have seen 1st hand the extra wear that is created by stroking a motor. A friend of mine stroked a 94' 302 to 347 CI with a popular kit. It was an awesome motor early on. Power was great and it seemed there was no down side. It was a daily driver like yours and after about 20K on that motor it started using oil like an old Harley. I helped him tear that motor down and the sides of the pistons and cylinder walls were scuffed up very bad. For what my opinion is worth I think I would stay with the stock CI and go totally forged with a Teskid block or try and fit the 5.4 block in there with the KB supercharger. The standard 281 CI with forged internals and your KB blower will make more power for a daily driver than you will ever need. Another thought would be to try and find a 03 or 04 cobra motor that already has all the goodies and will mate to your transmission I think?? Just a thought. But I know some of the 03 and 04's are making 550-580 RWHP very safely. Some thing to consider.
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Bob/Scott: In your opinion, would the "weaker crank, more side loading on the rods, and piston scuffing" be as much of an issue with the 281/302 stroker as compared to the 302/347 stroker. It seems like to me that the 302/347 combo would be much more susceptible just because of the much great CID change.

Quick Reply: Bigger, Stronger, Faster