GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Anyone with idle issues please look inside...

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/07, 11:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do not touch sensor elements, you will damage it. Just spray with contact/MAF cleaner and it will evaporate without any residue.
Old 8/24/07, 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05BlackGT
Do not touch sensor elements, you will damage it. Just spray with contact/MAF cleaner and it will evaporate without any residue.
OK, thanks.
Old 10/7/09, 01:34 PM
Cobra Member

This thread deserves a bump, and IMO is sticky worthy.

My wife's car is an 05 with 68k miles. I recently installed a JTL CAI, JBA lt's + o/r h-pipe, and COMP NSR Stage II cams, with a tune from Doug. The car didn't want to idle very well, esp when cold, and the check engine light came on, with a P0506.

I happened across this thread last night and cleaned the TB today. HUGE difference. Car hasn't been cold enough to be 100% certain, but I cleared the code and it hasn't come back on. I also noticed a night and day difference in throttle response. There was a dead spot under light pedal pressure and that is GONE.

CLEAN YOUR THROTTLE BODIES!!!

Thanks again, Doug...
Old 11/12/09, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Took my throttle body off and cleaned it out good along with the MAF sensor. Car idles like it did the day it I picked it up from the Ford dealership. Thanks !!

Used both CRC products - Throttle Body Cleaner and Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner.
Old 2/5/10, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05BlackGT

So, no touching the MAF? Use electrical cleaning spray and the nastiness should just evaporate...

And I can use the same electrical spray on the throttle body?

Just give me a resounding YES if the above is correct
Old 2/8/10, 06:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I got both the MAF and throttle body spray when I did mine. I don't think you're supposed to use the MAF spray on the throttle body ...
Old 6/14/10, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
TB clean now she takes longer to setttle down to idle?

I cleaned the TB and while I am happy with the improvement in throttle response, I did notice two things:
  1. It take much longer for the idle to get back below 1K
  2. When decelerating in gear the idle stays high longer as well. The result is I am not decelerating as fast I was previously when in gear.
I do not have a CAI yet so it is still the stock tune, will the normal idle return after a few starts?

I did remove the TB since it made it much easier to clean it and I did open the butterflies and there seemed to be some controversy (maybe that's too strong) over whether it's OK to manually move the butterflies.

The only other thing I did at the same time was I replaced the air filter with a K&N drop-in. What do you guys think?
Old 6/16/10, 04:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
I cleaned the TB and while I am happy with the improvement in throttle response, I did notice two things:
  1. It take much longer for the idle to get back below 1K
  2. When decelerating in gear the idle stays high longer as well. The result is I am not decelerating as fast I was previously when in gear.
I do not have a CAI yet so it is still the stock tune, will the normal idle return after a few starts?

I did remove the TB since it made it much easier to clean it and I did open the butterflies and there seemed to be some controversy (maybe that's too strong) over whether it's OK to manually move the butterflies.

The only other thing I did at the same time was I replaced the air filter with a K&N drop-in. What do you guys think?
Man you nailed my car exactly. I cleaned the TB and got similar results. Unfortunately I have changed many things since then, (CIA and aftermarket tune) but I am curious what others have to say.
Old 6/20/10, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Anyone?
Old 6/20/10, 12:39 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you unplug the battery for ~10 minutes to allow the PCM to clear the bad idle trims and relearn those?
Did you allow the car to idle on its own for a couple minutes, idle with the AC on for a couple minutes after you reconnected the battery?

if not, you need to
Old 6/20/10, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by G.T
Did you unplug the battery for ~10 minutes to allow the PCM to clear the bad idle trims and relearn those?
Did you allow the car to idle on its own for a couple minutes, idle with the AC on for a couple minutes after you reconnected the battery?

if not, you need to
No I did not - does this apply to the stock tune as well?

If so I will try that tomorrow for sure!
Thanks.
Old 6/20/10, 10:18 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperTeece
First off, my thanks to Doug for posting this. I had the issue as stated in the initial post and a good cleaning did bring my idle back to where it should be. The second part of my issue is still occuring though.

When I release the throttle (changing gears, stopping, whatever) the RPMs rapidly fall. This rapid fall seems to also create a pressure surge in the exhaust causing loud popping, backfire like sounds.

I have now cleaned the TB / plenum, checked for vacuum leaks, and changed plugs and wires. I even went as far as running some Marvell Mystery Oil through my fuel system.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
TC
maybe I'm weird, but I'd love it if my car did this...as-is, it occasionally gives throttle closure when the engines cold, but the delay is there 99% of the time. Is this immediate throttle closure there in bamachips/dougs tunes? others? in the old carb days a strong engine would get that burble/cackle whatever when lifting the throttle...might be unrefined by todays standards, but I thought it was pretty cool
Old 6/21/10, 04:57 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
No I did not - does this apply to the stock tune as well?

If so I will try that tomorrow for sure!
Thanks.
Yes it does!
The PCM always tries to adapt the idle and fuel trims based on the feedback it gets.
and the values it was using to work with the dirty throttle body need to be relearned now with a clean, better flowing TB

Originally Posted by ford4v429
maybe I'm weird, but I'd love it if my car did this...as-is, it occasionally gives throttle closure when the engines cold, but the delay is there 99% of the time. Is this immediate throttle closure there in bamachips/dougs tunes? others? in the old carb days a strong engine would get that burble/cackle whatever when lifting the throttle...might be unrefined by todays standards, but I thought it was pretty cool
Most after market tunes try to improve throttle response which is quite laggy by default.
and most of the tuned mustangs i worked with, did what you're after (the exhaust burble as you lift off throttle) so i guess you gotta try getting an SCT X3 SF and see for yourself
Old 6/22/10, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Louie.

That did the trick! She's running awesome now, throttle response is fantastic. It really is amazing how bad it got and how it sneaks up on you daily so you don't notice that much over time.

I put a drop in K&N in but I really want to get a CAI now. Just gotta find room in the budget.
Old 12/30/10, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've received the P0506 code twice in the last week and three times in the last few months. Now I have a good idea as to why! Ordered the CRC cleaner and will pick it up on the way home and report results of RPM's both before and after. Anything other readings I should be looking at? I'm picking up the MAF cleaner as well. I have an Acron OBD reader that feeds me all kinds of info that I'm clueless about.

And yes, this really should be a sticky!
Old 12/30/10, 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I'm not sure it's made much of a difference in rpm's but WOW is the throttle response better. There's no hesitation or "dead zone" any more. Again, this should be a sticky. Thanks all!
Old 1/2/11, 07:59 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by atomic_il
If the car starts to die after it does the symptoms mentioned, take it to the dealership. that is what mine did and they replaced the TPS's which had gone bad.
Not getting the abbreviation.
What does TPS's stand for?

Also... I have had a P0300 code... random missfire that has been coming on and off like crazy since my cam install.
After having the car looked over big time, and having diagnostic tests on it done, and after changing plugs and having the COPS checked... I am being told it is a tuning issue due to something with the duration and rotation of the Hot Rod Cams.

So I am going back to have the tune looked at and adjusted.
I also have the hunting idle issue.
Could a dirty TB cause a random misfire code for some odd reason or is this more likely still a tune issue?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 1/2/11 at 08:11 PM.
Old 1/3/11, 06:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I think he means Throttle Position Sensor and since there's only one I'm not sure why he made it plural. I had idle issues and tried cleaning everything , but it was the electronics in the TB that went bad and once I replaced it they went away. I'm not sure about the TB causing a misfire code , but to me it doesn't seem like it would ...
Old 1/22/11, 04:52 PM

Hey 05 yellow...did you replace or upgrade your TB? I just got a 62mm frpp and was wondering if i need to adjust my tune.