The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Which is Better (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f668/)
-   -   2010 mustang vs camaro (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f668/2010-mustang-vs-camaro-472826/)

MBK 10/7/08 10:27 AM

it runs 13s? i dont think it does stock

97GT03SVT 10/7/08 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by MBK (Post 5649854)
it runs 13s? i dont think it does stock

Several magazines and web sights have the G8 running between 13.8-14.00. Those are some serious numbers and even give the current Mustang GT a run for it's money.

m05fastbackGT 10/11/08 01:22 AM

Just bear in mind, when the 400HP 5.0L debuts in the 2011 GT. The GT500 will also get a significant HP bump as well, perhaps up to 600HP to be exact.

Should this become reality, I really don't see how the 2010 Camaro SS with it's 422HP 6.2L, can be a true GT500 fighter. Given the GT500 has both weight, and a distinct HP advantage over the SS !

97GT03SVT 10/11/08 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT (Post 5653378)
Just bear in mind, when the 400HP 5.0L debuts in the 2011 GT. The GT500 will also get a significant HP bump as well, perhaps up to 600HP to be exact.

Should this become reality, I really don't see how the 2010 Camaro SS with it's 422HP 6.2L, can be a true GT500 fighter. Given the GT500 has both weight, and a distinct HP advantage over the SS !

I understand the whole 11' 5.0 thing but Ford has been quiet, this may never happen. I also have total confidence from what I have seen and read about the new SS that it will destroy the GT500 in terms of handling. It has similar Brembo brakes along with the Challenger so that could all be a wash. In terms of straight line performance, anything can happen. In my opinion the GT500 isn't as fast as the specs suggest. The SRT8 Challenger and ever the previous 03-04 SVT Cobras run right with the GT500 in terms of 1/4 numbers despite producing less power and similar weight. I have a feeling that the SS will run between 12.7-13.0...... just a hunch.

I agree it is easy for Ford to quickly improve the GT500's HP but what it really needs is to go back to it's SVT roots and make it handle like a true sports car.

m05fastbackGT 10/11/08 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 5653509)
I agree it is easy for Ford to quickly improve the GT500's HP but what it really needs is to go back to it's SVT roots and make it handle like a true sports car.

Although I totally agree with your statement, it's highly unlikely will see an IRS before the next major platform change, which won't take place until 2014. As in the all new GRWD platform.

97GT03SVT 10/13/08 11:52 AM

OK guys it's official, GM has released the pricing of the new Camaro. I must admit it sounds like quite a bargain, i'm hoping this will keep Mustang prices down in the future.

The 300HP v6 Camaro will start at $22,995.

The 422HP SS Camaro will start at $30,995.

OK admit it guys, everyone was way off on pricing. As of right now the Camaro is the best buy in the muscle car war. I just hope Ford can give us a 400HP 5.0 for the same price as the current model or else I may be considering the competition.

stangfoeva 10/13/08 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 5654695)
OK guys it's official, GM has released the pricing of the new Camaro. I must admit it sounds like quite a bargain, i'm hoping this will keep Mustang prices down in the future.

OK admit it guys, everyone was way off on pricing. As of right now the Camaro is the best buy in the muscle car war. I just hope Ford can give us a 400HP 5.0 for the same price as the current model or else I may be considering the competition.

You wont be able to a camaro at these prices for at least 6 months after this car finally comes out

97GT03SVT 10/13/08 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by stangfoeva (Post 5654873)
You wont be able to a camaro at these prices for at least 6 months after this car finally comes out

So what, the same could be said for the 10' Mustang. I know the reason why I don't currently own an s197 Mustang is because of ADMs. I have a feeling that GM will drop them quicker than Ford did because of the crappy economy.

The GT500 carried ADMs for years, now after a few short months the SRT8 Challenger can be had at MSRP.

bob 10/13/08 11:26 PM

I dunno, alot of people really wanted the V8 Camaro to come in at 27-28k for a base car. The F5 is a really good deal, but I contend that its lost on the general public, who for the most part are interested in buying into the musclecar mystique rather than the outright performance something like the F5 offers and even then, its the stoplight to stoplight wars most will engage in.

Outgunned as it is, the GT can be had for 4-5k less and if your looking to hunt F5's most Ford dealerships will be glad to install an S/C pumping power up to around SS V8 levels (making the GT a faster car).

The IRS is enticing, but it really only matters in the ride department - I've yet to run into a twisty stretch of road that has turned into an impromptu road race with another car (well for more than 2 miles in any event).

m05fastbackGT 10/13/08 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 5654912)
So what, the same could be said for the 10' Mustang. I know the reason why I don't currently own an s197 Mustang is because of ADMs. I have a feeling that GM will drop them quicker than Ford did because of the crappy economy.

The GT500 carried ADMs for years, now after a few short months the SRT8 Challenger can be had at MSRP.

Perhaps in your local area, that may be true. However in my local area, Challenger R/T versions are being marked up to 5k above sticker, and if you really think that GM will drop their ADM markups quicker than Ford. I wouldn't bet on it, as certain Chevy dealers are also going to exploit the retro theme towards baby boomers, just as Ford did with the S-197 Mustang.

As for the Challenger SRT8, being had at MSRP. Well never the less, we're still looking at $42,390 not including options.

Btw: GT500's can now also be had at MSRP as well, at least within my local area anyhow !

m05fastbackGT 10/14/08 12:31 AM

Well for starters, you didn't mention the Camaro 2SS, which starts at $34,180.00. Nor did you mention options. By the time you include all your options, that starting price of $30,992, for the Camaro 1SS will put you close to $34-37k. Which of course, is providing there isn't any addtional ADM markups, otherwise you can also expect to add another 5-7k as well.

As for your claim about the Camaro, as being the best buy in the muscle car wars. Ford will NOT allow that to happen, as Mustang has always offered the best bang for the buck performance value, and will continue to do so.

IMHO, the 2011 Mustang GT. will start at around the same price as the current model, or perhaps just slightly higher. Due to the new 400HP 5.0L along with 6spd. tranny !

stangfoeva 10/14/08 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 5654912)

The same cannot be said for the '10. The camaro has been hyped FAR more and GM boys have been waiting on this car since 2002 when the camaro died. The ADM's will be far worse than on the '10 stang

97GT03SVT 10/14/08 09:32 AM

OK, for starters.......... no I don't work for GM lol. I just disagree with everyone's reasoning here. ADMs are temporary so I don't consider it a deal breaker. I think it will be similar to the 05' Mustang. Many old school Mustang guys came out of the wood work with the new stang' along with the guys how have been loyal buyers for the 3rd and 4th gen cars.

If I want a Camaro at MSRP I'll just wait. As far as options go the 2SS model is pretty much topped out not much else you can get. The 2SS comes with all the goodies (leather, premium sound etc...) I think the most expensive Camaro is a 2ss with the RS package. You guys should remember that a fully loaded GT is also in the mid $30k range. If you don't trust me check it out on Ford's web sight. Build a GT with every option you will be surprised how expensive they can get.

You guys, along with me :shame: are going to have your tails between our legs when all the major car magazines do the 10' Camaro VS. 10' Mustang comparisons.

My hope is that the 11' GT is all that everyone is building it up to be, I'd hate to be as disapointed as I am now with the little info I know about the 10' model.

sgt d 10/14/08 07:36 PM

umm, for the gt500 adm comment, the dealerships are STILL charging over msrp! sure you can find deals on them but there are definitely dealerships asking over...........

FordBlueHeart 10/15/08 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by sgt d (Post 5655778)
umm, for the gt500 adm comment, the dealerships are STILL charging over msrp! sure you can find deals on them but there are definitely dealerships asking over...........

That maybe the case about GT500 ADM's, but it still has to do with supply and demand. I guarantee that you will be able to get 2010 mustangs without an ADM. Not all dealers believe in making a quick buck versus long term relationships with customers.

bob 10/16/08 03:51 AM

Yet the GT500 has beat the Terminator and the Challenger in track comparo's when it comes to a road course and is barely edged out by the Terminator in the quarter.

97GT03SVT 10/16/08 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by bob (Post 5657018)
Yet the GT500 has beat the Terminator and the Challenger in track comparo's when it comes to a road course and is barely edged out by the Terminator in the quarter.

I will admit that the 03-04 Cobras are not the greatest handling Mustangs off all time. This is probably because of the poor weight distribution that it shares with the GT500. What I meant was make the next GT500 a balanced car that the 01' Cobra was. Though not nearly as powerful as the 03-09 SVTs a The 2001 Cobra is in my opinion one of the best handling Mustang of all time. The car is very tossible without plowing into the corners. It would be great for Ford to lighten up the front end with an all aluminum engine for the GT500.

bob 10/16/08 11:27 PM

Isn't the scuttlebutt for the '11 GT500 giving it an aluminum block? That'd help a bit. Then again a 7.0 32v VVT DI AL V10 putting out 500+ HP would be even better :D Ditching all that extra plumbing required for the S/C you know.

Klay 10/17/08 01:19 AM

I understand the whole 11' 5.0 thing but Ford has been quiet, this may never happen. I also have total confidence from what I have seen and read about the new SS that it will destroy the GT500 in terms of handling. It has similar Brembo brakes along with the Challenger so that could all be a wash. In terms of straight line performance, anything can happen. In my opinion the GT500 isn't as fast as the specs suggest. The SRT8 Challenger and ever the previous 03-04 SVT Cobras run right with the GT500 in terms of 1/4 numbers despite producing less power and similar weight. I have a feeling that the SS will run between 12.7-13.0...... just a hunch.

The bolded part is simply a false statement. The while the previous cobra can run close to the gt500, it clearly is the slower car. The srt-8 challenger is slower than both. Start modding and it goes even more in favor of the GT500 so I'm not sure where you get your information.

While it will be possible for the Camaro SS to beat a Gt500, stock for stock, more often then not the GT500 will win pretty easily.

97GT03SVT 10/19/08 07:18 AM

I was not stating that they were faster, all i was saying is that they run with it (withing a couple tenths). By the way many track comparos do have the 03-04 Cobra actually beating the GT500 in the 1/4 mi. Look at the major auto magazines. I have driven a stock GT500 and it feels no faster than a stock 04' Cobra. I have taken my 03' to the track and have run faster times than some of the GT500s too. The point I was trying to make is that the 03' Cobra is giving up 110HP, the Challenger 75HP yet they both are at least competitive with the GT500. So for some to say the the SS has no shot at competing with the GT500 is just wrong based on power to weight numbers.

Don't get me wrong the GT500 is a better overall car than the 03' Cobra. It handles better, brakes better and of course is a more livable everyday car. Lets not forget that the GT500's bigger motor always has more room for improvement in terms of mods. I'd love to own one of these as I also find it the most attractive Mustang of all time.