Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Track Related Mods

Search this Thread

Old 6/1/16, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Looking at the dyno charts for Steeda intake/tune combo makes me drool a bit. 10% is no joke, and something you should be able to feel. Good stuff!

And yes, "I just want to do this" often suffers from "scope creep"

As my wife will attest to
The following users liked this post:
SGwick (6/2/16)
Old 6/3/16, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
5.Monster I just came back from a drive (10pm now). When I turn on the engine, the rpm is at or between 500-750rpm (with slight needle movement bouncing), there's also a metal sound (knocking maybe) coming from engine bay only at the start (disappears after I press the throttle pedal), throttle application feels like an on/off switch, and on hard acceleration feels/gets bogged down or hesitation. Not sure what to make of it but definitely not what I want or expected. Its the weekend so hopefully Steeda (Matt) can work his magic next week. As long as it's worked out before the 25 June (Road Atlanta trackday) it's all good
rpoppertdomi (6/30/16)
Old 6/4/16, 06:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
Sounds like the tune needs some fine-tuning for sure . . . hope Steeda is responsive and gets it straightened out.

I think the throttle response is one of the tricks that they use to fool us to think the performance of the car is improved with the tune. You press the throttle just a little, but the tune gives a lot of throttle response, and you feel like the car is a lot more powerful than it was before. But that is definitely NOT what we want for the track.
Old 6/4/16, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SGwick
5.Monster I just came back from a drive (10pm now). When I turn on the engine, the rpm is at or between 500-750rpm (with slight needle movement bouncing), there's also a metal sound (knocking maybe) coming from engine bay only at the start (disappears after I press the throttle pedal), throttle application feels like an on/off switch, and on hard acceleration feels/gets bogged down or hesitation. Not sure what to make of it but definitely not what I want or expected. Its the weekend so hopefully Steeda (Matt) can work his magic next week. As long as it's worked out before the 25 June (Road Atlanta trackday) it's all good
Hey SGwick, sorry to hear that! Hope Steeda steps up and gets that taken care of for you. 750 sounds about right for Idle, but 500 is rather low. The metal sound would have me worried too. Are you planning to revert back to stock till you get a revised tune?

Yeah, binary throttle is certainly not what we want on a road course. Rolling on at the apex requires precise modulation ability. Keep us posted, I'm certain they will fine tune it for you. May require some data logging though. Can your hand tuner log traces?
Old 6/4/16, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Hey SGwick, sorry to hear that! Hope Steeda steps up and gets that taken care of for you. 750 sounds about right for Idle, but 500 is rather low. The metal sound would have me worried too. Are you planning to revert back to stock till you get a revised tune? Yeah, binary throttle is certainly not what we want on a road course. Rolling on at the apex requires precise modulation ability. Keep us posted, I'm certain they will fine tune it for you. May require some data logging though. Can your hand tuner log traces?
I might increase idle to 750rpm but still doesn't explain metal noise. Can't go back to stock since CAI requires tune. I'm confident Steeda can fix it, I've read nothing but stellar reviews on customer service and resolution.
Old 6/6/16, 05:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Been in contact with Steeda (Matt) and thankfully my CAI & tune issues might be because I filled out the tune form incorrectly. I'm happy this might this resolved sooner rather than by trial and error :-) Understandably Matt was difficult to get a hold of but that's the price for direct one-one customer service with the actual tuner :-) good stuff
Old 6/6/16, 07:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Been in contact with Steeda (Matt) and thankfully my CAI & tune issues might be because I filled out the tune form incorrectly. I'm happy this might this resolved sooner rather than by trial and error :-) Understandably Matt was difficult to get a hold of but that's the price for direct one-one customer service with the actual tuner :-) good stuff

As always ... feel free to keep me in the loop if I can help, it sounds like you & Matt are on the same page, though.

Best Regards,

TJ

Last edited by tj@steeda; 6/6/16 at 07:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tj@steeda:
rpoppertdomi (6/23/16), SGwick (6/6/16)
Old 6/7/16, 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Matt (Steeda) sent me the new tune after I correctly filled out the tune form today and installed it as soon as I got home. Early yet but start up was problem free, no weird (bouncing) idling and back down to 650rpm with no rough movement. Gone is the on/off throttle application, replaced by super smooth, modulated control :-) I still ran it like I always do on the street (under 3.4krpm) but I can sense the power under the surface more readily. The exhaust sound is definitely deeper but only slightly louder (minimal). Exhaust rumble used to be at or above 3K rpm but now occurrence is more frequent (>2.5K rpm) More feedback in a week. So far I'm very pleased with my Steeda purchase and tuning (Matt) :-)
5.M0NSTER (6/7/16)
Old 6/7/16, 05:22 PM
Banned

Awesome SGwick, glad to hear the new tune feels better. I realllly want this mod as well, looking forward to more of your feedback once you spend some time with it!
Old 6/7/16, 06:59 PM
Banned

So Mid Ohio was one of the best track days I've had in a while. Fantastic, technical course spread over 2.5 miles of rolling hills. My top speed was about ~135, and the braking zone that followed was scary as hell.

Since I couldn't find the courage earlier in the day I ended up braking early, which overheated my R-10 pads. I got some major fade, first time ever.I made the adjustment late on, found a pair and started braking late, hard but for a shorter period, and that had better results.

Also during light and medium braking I got a lot of steering wheel vibration. It would go away when I really got on the brakes, but it had me worried for a while. I think I had uneven pad deposits, and as soon as I got on the brakes hard it went away. Nothing on the way home either. Is that brake shutter??

My new suspension was all Aces on this smooth and flowing road course. I was running 75% stiff on the front and 50% rear. I could probably step it up more, but I didn't want to mess with it anymore. Next time. Turn in was still not as crisp as before new suspension, but considering the ultimate mid corner grip and the overall handling that's a small price to pay. Driver mod and it's all good.

So you guys will appreciate this video. It's the mistakes. I stayed on the track but barely. 2:15 and 5:50 is the major ones. First one I just went in too hot. Over the hump and still turning so the front end has grip but the back end not so much. The other one was turning in too early and hitting the steep, tall edge of curbing. Upset the car and threw me off.

Old 6/9/16, 09:30 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Super job, great video. Wow the course looks nice. And smooth...I did not see any shake...like a smooth interstate! My tracks tosses my poor car all over the place!
rpoppertdomi (6/30/16)
Old 6/10/16, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Super job, great video. Wow the course looks nice. And smooth...I did not see any shake...like a smooth interstate! My tracks tosses my poor car all over the place!
Hey Pete, I recorded that with the GoPro suction mounted to the windshield, almost a rigid connection so no shake. But you're right, the track was very smooth. And wide. Helped me stay on
rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/19/16, 09:01 PM
Banned

I missed one more video of another session from my last event on the GoPro.

The nice thing about the more advanced groups of HPDE is that you get the point-by's quick when you come up on them fast. I do it for faster cars, and here is 4 minutes of some good passes I was able to get.

P.S. At 3.23 the red C7 almost looses it

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 6/19/16 at 09:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 5.M0NSTER:
rpoppertdomi (6/23/16), SGwick (6/19/16)
Old 6/19/16, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I missed one more video of another session from my last event on the GoPro. The nice thing about the more advanced groups of HPDE is that you get the point-by's quick when you come up on them fast. I do it for faster cars, and here is 4 minutes of some good passes I was able to get. P.S. At 3.23 the red C7 almost looses it Video Link: https://youtu.be/mza940CLpFM
great driving man! You looked like Senna out there :-) that red corvette got 2 tires off trying to give you the point by, lol
The following 2 users liked this post by SGwick:
5.M0NSTER (6/20/16), rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/20/16, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Nice driving. Looks like you did pretty good.
What track is that? It looks like a lot of fun
rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/20/16, 05:45 PM
Banned

great driving man! You looked like Senna out there :-) that red corvette got 2 tires off trying to give you the point by, lol
Originally Posted by redonblackpony
Nice driving. Looks like you did pretty good.
What track is that? It looks like a lot of fun
Thanks guys, I still have a lot to learn! I was getting more confidence in my line and my ability to corner at speed later in the day. Next time I'll start paying attention to the lap times more.

That was the Mid Ohio Sports Car Course. Great track indeed.
rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/21/16, 01:48 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Great second video!
The following 2 users liked this post by PJRManagement:
5.M0NSTER (6/21/16), rpoppertdomi (6/23/16)
Old 6/23/16, 11:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Tech inspection completed and car loaded. Next stop tomorrow is Road Atlanta :-)
Attached Thumbnails Track Related Mods-photo358.jpg  
Old 6/23/16, 12:54 PM
Banned

Sweet! Good luck, stay safe, have fun and kick @$$. Looking forward to your pics and vids. I wish you firm brake pedal and crisp turn in. We should have shirts that say that!
SGwick (6/23/16)
Old 6/23/16, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sweet! Good luck, stay safe, have fun and kick @$$. Looking forward to your pics and vids. I wish you firm brake pedal and crisp turn in. We should have shirts that say that!
wilco boss. Temps have me concerned but all good

Quick Reply: Track Related Mods