Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

2017 Season plans

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/17, 07:54 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Awesome, I could use some advice here. I did get the firewall plug just in case I do decide to get rid of the sound tube. Can you elaborate on what difference it made?

Inside the car I can barely hear the intake even with the sound tube. Once I crack the windows is when I hear it.
Maybe they changed something between 2011 and 2014. In my car, the extra airflow increased the fake engine sounds coming from the sound chamber under the dash. It was annoying to me, so I removed the sound tube, plugged the firewall and capped the fitting on the CAI. You still hear the additional airflow from outside the cabin, just not the fake tinny sound from under the dash. The rubber seal from inside a master cylinder cap fits the hole in the firewall perfectly and it was like $4. I don't remember the exact part number. I would disconnect the sound tube and cap the nipple on the CAI and take it for a drive to see if there is a noticeable difference. Then you can decide if you want to leave it on or not.
Old 4/10/17, 08:14 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SGwick
Agreed, I spoke to a driver of a 302 tracked prepped at COTA, and he didn't have any plastic covers and he said he removed the molded foam type underneath the boss manifold. I removed mine and installed roush but now I'm thinking 302s grill :-(
Why the frowny face? The 302s grills look good. I am considering one just for the looks, since at this point I don't have an overheating problem.
Old 4/10/17, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
Why the frowny face? The 302s grills look good. I am considering one just for the looks, since at this point I don't have an overheating problem.
Because I just bought the roush
Old 4/11/17, 07:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Installed my Steeda intake last night! Just have to load up the tune now...

Also took the car out yesterday on the suspension. It's firm but but as harsh as I expected. Can't wait to dial it in!
Old 4/11/17, 07:14 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
Maybe they changed something between 2011 and 2014. In my car, the extra airflow increased the fake engine sounds coming from the sound chamber under the dash. It was annoying to me, so I removed the sound tube, plugged the firewall and capped the fitting on the CAI. You still hear the additional airflow from outside the cabin, just not the fake tinny sound from under the dash. The rubber seal from inside a master cylinder cap fits the hole in the firewall perfectly and it was like $4. I don't remember the exact part number. I would disconnect the sound tube and cap the nipple on the CAI and take it for a drive to see if there is a noticeable difference. Then you can decide if you want to leave it on or not.
Thanks, for the feedback!

I am not experiencing the same thing with the sound tube in place. In the cabin with the windows closed I can't her the intake. Only with the windows down

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Installed my Steeda intake last night! Just have to load up the tune now...

Also took the car out yesterday on the suspension. It's firm but but as harsh as I expected. Can't wait to dial it in!
How do you like the intake tune??

Also I still can't believe how crazy stiff your springs are. My car doesn't roll either. But that is because the steeda sway bar

But I get it ... different use case.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 4/11/17 at 07:48 PM.
Old 4/11/17, 07:42 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Because I just bought the roush
I guess I would frown too if I just bought something and found out I may need something different.
Old 4/12/17, 04:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks, for the feedback!

I am not experiencing the same thing with the sound tube in place. In the cabin with the windows closed I can't her the intake. Only with the windows down

How do you like the intake tune??

Also I still can't believe how crazy stiff your springs are. My car doesn't roll either. But that is because the steeda sway bar

But I get it ... different use case.
I haven't driven it yet with the intake and tune, loaded the tuning last night. I have a little more work to do on the rear wing before the car goes out again. Feeling like I have a lot to do still before 4/24 track outing... but it should be a fun season!
Old 4/14/17, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Finally figured out my oil leak, it was from the hoses going into the AN fittings for both hoses. I watched YT and recut the hose/AN connection (tape/cut/rethead/connect). I also installed new SVT fan and the biggest happy news is the fan TURNED ON! :-) before that I got to drain the radiator fluid and used 2 water setters and all DI water. When the car was warm I went for a quick test drive and no issues.
Attached Thumbnails 2017 Season plans-photo167.jpg  
Old 4/15/17, 05:31 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Finally figured out my oil leak, it was from the hoses going into the AN fittings for both hoses. I watched YT and recut the hose/AN connection (tape/cut/rethead/connect). I also installed new SVT fan and the biggest happy news is the fan TURNED ON! :-) before that I got to drain the radiator fluid and used 2 water setters and all DI water. When the car was warm I went for a quick test drive and no issues.
hey SGWick, glad you found the issues! Is this at the connection to the oil cooler?
Old 4/15/17, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

hey SGWick, glad you found the issues! Is this at the connection to the oil cooler?
yes, going into oil cooler not oil filter side
Old 4/16/17, 07:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Bought an accusump last night. Hopefully the install isn't too bad. It'll offer some peace of mind going forward!
Old 4/16/17, 05:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Do they sell a kit to hook up an accu sump to these cars, or are you having to put it together yourself?
Great products I ran one in my last off-road race truck.
I had it mounted next to me in the cab and would control it with the manual lever.
Old 4/17/17, 01:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
Do they sell a kit to hook up an accu sump to these cars, or are you having to put it together yourself?
Great products I ran one in my last off-road race truck.
I had it mounted next to me in the cab and would control it with the manual lever.
Not a specific kit for the Mustang. They sell the accusump kits, but it's all generic installation. I've mapped out my planned installation, so it should be pretty clean and simple. I'm using the pressure sensor control unit so it automatically discharges when oil pressure drops below ~30psi, and it refills quickly as well to support road racing. I'll post up pictures of the installed product and the installation procedure if I actually remember do capture photos along the way for once...
Old 4/17/17, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Signed up for LRP on 29 June :-)
Old 4/18/17, 06:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Signed up for LRP on 29 June :-)
Nice!!! Which club?
Old 4/18/17, 07:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice!!! Which club?
SCDA (Sports Car Driving Association)
Old 4/18/17, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I should have known you have run with them already lol. I've been watching your YT vids at LRP...so fast. A few questions, the uphill, are you waiting to power throttle till after the front compresses on the other side? and additional question but for last right corner (waiting for compression before adding throttle)?
Old 4/20/17, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice!!! Which club?
I noticed from your vids from LRP you're using 4th and 5th gear only. Do you use 3:73 gearing?
Old 4/22/17, 09:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I noticed from your vids from LRP you're using 4th and 5th gear only. Do you use 3:73 gearing?
Yes I'm 3.73's. not obvious in the video, but I run 4th to redline on no name straight and just ride the rev limiter for a good 500'. I'm very excited to rev to 7200 or so now, it should make a big difference

Also, I started grabbing 3rd before the left handed. That helps a lot I found. Just started doing it. Gonna play around on Monday, I might not be able to grab 3rd with the aero, wider tires, and new suspension. It should carry more speed everywhere as long as the driver has the *****!
The following users liked this post:
SGwick (4/22/17)
Old 4/22/17, 09:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I should have known you have run with them already lol. I've been watching your YT vids at LRP...so fast. A few questions, the uphill, are you waiting to power throttle till after the front compresses on the other side? and additional question but for last right corner (waiting for compression before adding throttle)?
Thx! I really want to break into 0.59's this season. Might have to buy R7's later this summer if I can't get there in the contis

Yes I hold on applying full throttle until after the car settles over the uphill. It's slower but it's safer. I may have had a minor incident there once

Yes, downhill is no brake, quick snap in at compression then power power power. Enormous grip there

Last edited by dmichaels; 4/22/17 at 09:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SGwick (4/22/17)