Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Why you shouldn't use a semi-permanent coating on your car.

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/14, 08:29 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mcate
I'm a longtime Poorboy's user, however I like to experiment with other products. I tried Wolfgang last summer. I was happy with the finish, although the more cars I did, the more I felt like I couldn't really see that it was any better than Poorboy's. (Plus I felt like it made my car a dust magnet) Thinking about trying Blackfire next, & maybe some Dodo Juice products. Somehow, I have a feeling I'll always end up coming back to Poorboy's!
Ive tried a couple poorboys products in the past but i always find myself coming back to meguiars as a mainstay. Ill add things like collinite or pinnacle to the list but thats for when the weather gets better. Actually collinite is great for fall and winter as it lasts quite a while and sheets and beads water very well so cleaning is a breeze.

Ive been hearing alot about Adams Polishes lately and may be giving them a try once mid spring rols around
Old 2/4/14, 10:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
So we now have a case against semi permanent coatings, a case against wax, AND a case against sealants! I can't wait to see what part 4 is! lol
Originally Posted by CCTking
Part 4 is a case against washing with soap. Its all about bleach and vinegar!
It's funny you ask because I'm now wondering the same thing. I thought I knew the direction Marc was going but now this seems to have just turned into a sales pitch for omni-coat.
Old 2/4/14, 10:35 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
Ive tried a couple poorboys products in the past but i always find myself coming back to meguiars as a mainstay. Ill add things like collinite or pinnacle to the list but thats for when the weather gets better. Actually collinite is great for fall and winter as it lasts quite a while and sheets and beads water very well so cleaning is a breeze. Ive been hearing alot about Adams Polishes lately and may be giving them a try once mid spring rols around
Adams is amazing. There are tons of great quality brands out there. Pinnacle, chem bros, griots, even maguires makes some good lines. Personally though I like Adams best. Mainly because their line is consistent, well balanced, and simple (whereas chem bros for example has a crap ton of stuff to sift through). And the quality is top notch. They also have everything you need under one brand, from buckets to towels to MF buffing pads, which makes my OCD happy.

I use a custom made sealant and carnauba for "special" cars.

Last edited by typesredline; 2/4/14 at 10:46 AM.
Old 2/5/14, 08:55 AM
Detailing Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Series finale:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...y-part-4-of-4/
Old 2/5/14, 11:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
It's funny you ask because I'm now wondering the same thing. I thought I knew the direction Marc was going but now this seems to have just turned into a sales pitch for omni-coat.
Originally Posted by MarcHarris
Ahh. I see the angle now. Touché sir. Only one question though. Each following piece countered the previous. Why wax is bad or sealant etc. You built up the product and then crushed it. I enjoyed the reading once in its entirety. However, what is your counter for omni-coat? Following the pattern that would have come at the beginning of part 4. But no counter was made for it.
Old 2/5/14, 12:25 PM
Detailing Guru

Counter for what? Opti-coat? That was in part one.
Old 2/5/14, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mark... great minds think alike. Whatever one person likes to use on their car, another may have a differing opinion.

My personal combo I use on my vehicles is Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Sealant topped with S100 carnauba. Most of my clients do not care what I use on their vehicles, they want shine with durability. I have some that request a certain product, I will purchase it (within reason, of course!) and use what they want because of the way they like the look of their car with it. For the record, nobody has asked me for Opti-coat, 22PLE or any other coating on their cars.
Old 2/5/14, 06:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MarcHarris
Counter for what? Opti-coat? That was in part one.
And there it is. Not sure how I missed it. You Tarantino'd me, lol.
Old 2/5/14, 06:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Last fall I got the small dings out with PDR.
I'm all set come spring time. I will be spending allot of time cleaning waxing and buffing my baby.
Attached Thumbnails Why you shouldn't use a semi-permanent coating on your car.-image-173873094.jpg  
Old 2/6/14, 06:16 AM
Bullitt Member

If the weather here in Indy EVER turns nice, I'll pull the cover off my Shelby & give it the following:
1. Wash w/ Poorboy's Super Slick n Suds
2. Clay
3. Swirl Removal with either Poorboy's SSR 2 or 2.5
4. Polish with Poorboy's SSR1 or Pro Polish 2. (Or both!)
5. A coat of Black Hole Glaze
6. A coat of EX-P sealant
7. Start layering on Natty's Red!

That is unless I get a wild hair & decide to experiment with another brand, which I do sometimes! Like Marc says, trial & error, & see what works for me!

Last edited by mcate; 2/6/14 at 06:18 AM.
Old 2/6/14, 09:29 AM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by DaGonz
Mark... great minds think alike. Whatever one person likes to use on their car, another may have a differing opinion.

My personal combo I use on my vehicles is Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Sealant topped with S100 carnauba. Most of my clients do not care what I use on their vehicles, they want shine with durability. I have some that request a certain product, I will purchase it (within reason, of course!) and use what they want because of the way they like the look of their car with it. For the record, nobody has asked me for Opti-coat, 22PLE or any other coating on their cars.
Meg's 21 and S100 AKA P21S! I feel like Obi-Wan Kenobi "Those are names I haven't heard in a long time."
I'm glad (though no surprised) to hear you're using quality stuff without regard to what the latest newest cool-guy product is. Those are two proven and loved products: the type of stuff I also enjoy using. You certainly don't need the latest import from Europe to get great results.
Old 2/6/14, 03:33 PM
Cobra Member

If the weather here in Indy EVER turns nice, I'll pull the cover off my Shelby & give it the following: 1. Wash w/ Poorboy's Super Slick n Suds 2. Clay 3. Swirl Removal with either Poorboy's SSR 2 or 2.5 4. Polish with Poorboy's SSR1 or Pro Polish 2. (Or both!) 5. A coat of Black Hole Glaze 6. A coat of EX-P sealant 7. Start layering on Natty's Red! That is unless I get a wild hair & decide to experiment with another brand, which I do sometimes! Like Marc says, trial & error, & see what works for me!
Good stuff. Personally though, I'd seal before glaze.
Old 2/6/14, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
Good stuff. Personally though, I'd seal before glaze.
I've always applied glaze before my LSP. Quoting Autogeek's description of glazes: "A glaze is a shine-enhancing product that goes on after polishing but before the wax or sealant. It is made with oils and wetting agents that amplify your paint’s shine and improve the clarity."
Old 2/6/14, 09:59 PM
Cobra Member

I've always applied glaze before my LSP. Quoting Autogeek's description of glazes: "A glaze is a shine-enhancing product that goes on after polishing but before the wax or sealant. It is made with oils and wetting agents that amplify your paint’s shine and improve the clarity."
There really isn't a right or wrong but the glaze will last longer if applied over sealant. I use sealant after polish to have the first coat be the longest lasting. That said I rarely use glaze anyway.
Old 2/7/14, 06:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I've thrown a coat on top before, usually to add a little extra pop for a car show.
Old 2/7/14, 01:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm gonna try some new wax but after I do my wash/clay/correct/glaze. I got some Dodo Purple Haze because it's harder and purple and Blue Velvet because its soft and blue. I'm hoping that it will really make my DIB baby look like a rolling ocean.