Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

What's the Big Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/05, 02:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have and use both products. The NXT is less expensive, but not quite as good as Zaino. Before NXT, there was little I could compare Zaino too. I've never used a wax that I could remove from an entire car in less than 5 minutes with almost no effort, and I'm not exaggerating.
Old 4/13/05, 09:51 PM

here are a few shots of my freshly NXT Mequiars waxed car
just did get her tinted and added the Ford exhaust tips

and believe it or not those 2 lil spots on the hood are birds flying over LOL
Old 4/13/05, 09:52 PM

one more
Old 4/14/05, 08:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by max2000jp+April 13, 2005, 2:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ April 13, 2005, 2:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Hellcat6@April 13, 2005, 11:48 AM
Sorry, but I can't help myself here, you are way off track. You do know that Pebble Beach is predominantly pre-WWII era cars with some makes up to about the early 60s? And you also know that these concours museum pieces do not have modern clear coated finishes? If they did, they wouoldn't win. The Zaino products we are describing here are for modern base coat / clear coat type finishes like on the 05 Mustang. Huge because of the internet following? Go ask man on the street if he ever heard of Zaino, doubtful. But he probably knows about Maguires due to lots of advertising.
Your logic is seriously flawed. NXT is a polymer, very similar in composition to Zaino. I am not sure what Megiuars product was on these 21 cars, but let's assume it's one of their professional products. The professional products are clear coat safe as well. You also don't know for sure that a modern paint application with a clearcoat hasn't been applied. Zaino has a huge internet following, you cannot argue that, hence why I stated that there is a huge internet bandwagon.

It really doesn't matter which wax or polish you use, you will get very similar results assuming you use a high end product. The most crucial part of detailing is taking your time and preparing the paint properly.
[/b][/quote]

My logic is flawed? So you think that priceless Buggattis, Delahayes, Cords and Packards violate concours standards by using a non-original paint process (clear coat) and still win at Pebble Beach? Doubtful. So they use some Maguires product and win, that's great. And you use that to prove it's better than Zaino products which are not designed to be applied on that type of surface and would never be used by any of those owners. Um, well, ok.

Glad that you are happy with Maguires, just like so many other people are. I assume that you have tried them both and decided for yourself, that's what I did. That is the best argument any of us can make.
Old 4/14/05, 02:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by wsmatau+April 11, 2005, 6:17 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wsmatau @ April 11, 2005, 6:17 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Badandy@April 11, 2005, 6:39 AM
Zaino is not the only option people.

There are dozens of great procedures for your car that will look as good or better than Zaino. Zaino looks very good but there are "boutique" products such as the Klasse Twins (Cleaner/Sealant Glaze), Ultimate Paint Protection, and the mother to top off any polish, Souveran Paste Wax which is 70 dollars per tin but lasts a LONG time. Souveran ontop of Klasse Cleaner Wax (All in One) and ontop of Klasse Sealant Glaze AFTER doing a machine polishing with Poorboys SSR 2.5 and that is one of the best combos that can not be rivaled. Of course, it takes time, but it is worth it IMO.
I agree with the comment that there are other quality products out there (as I had mentioned in a previous post), but have you used any of the "boutique products" you mentioned? Souverain and pinnacle are insanely expensive. If you can afford them then you can afford to have your butler detail your car! And NO they don't last more than a month tops! :nono:
As for anyone that thinks that Zaino is bandwagon...I've used it for over 7 years after using Liquid Glass, McGuire's 3 step, 3M sealant, expensive Zymol, cheap (wal-mart version) Zymol, and probably several others I prefer to forget. I stick to Zaino. It used to be a real pain to get the results that are quick and easy nowadays. To anyone that doubts it, give it a try and let us know what you think. But don't brag about how much better one product is than another unless you have actually tried both.
[/b][/quote]

Why are you all mad at me? I didn't say Zaino was on the bandwagon nor did I say all this stuff was that much better. I honestly think you are over-reacting, I didn't say anything controversial nor did I say what you said I did. To answer your questions, yes, I have used these "boutique" products. Why would I "brag" about them if I haven't? Of course I have. I can have my butler to do my car if I can afford Souveran? It is $70. It is not insanely expensive when it lasts an insanely long time. Your Zaino kit and everything you use from Zaino costs way more than my "boutique" products such as Klasse and Pinnacle. My Klasse AIO followed up with two coasts of Sealant Glaze lasts 6 months STRONG. Can your Zaino offer that acrylic protection? I will try Zaino, don't worry, but I never said it was bad or that my products are so much better. I'm not fighting, just keep it friendly.
Old 4/14/05, 02:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by wsmatau+April 12, 2005, 8:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wsmatau @ April 12, 2005, 8:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Dan@April 12, 2005, 10:01 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Boomer
@April 12, 2005, 11:11 PM
Case in point: A guy a year or 2 back (when the NXT line came out) had Zaino on his car, and he didn't take it off....landed up using NXT overtop, and it completely hazed the surface.

Quit telling that story pete, you're getting me nervous. Couldn't he just take the stuff off with a dish soap?
Sure, but you need to start with a clean slate no matter what you are using. Putting NXT over Zaino is asking for trouble, unless you are a chemist and have checked out how it will react. The point is...DON'T MIX AND MATCH. These products are designed by professionals.
[/b][/quote]

This is a common misconception. Mixing products is VERY common on the autopia forums, most people do it. While some prdoucts don't mix, you need to use common sense. NXT has a few cleaners in it which haze Zaino, but besides that there really aren't that many conflicts. People use Klasse, 1Z, FMJ, Zaino, Meguiars, and KlearKote interchangably and have great results. Do not listen to this advice, while once in a while it doesn't work, you can get the best of both worlds. For example, you can use ClayMagic Clay bar and then polish with Poorboys SSR 2.5 polish. This is a better swirl remover than Z5. You can then top it off with Z-2 Pro and the prep that you got from other products will make it look stunning. People use different product lines and then top it off with Meguiars #16 Carnuba wax which adds warmth and depth. Experiment! Just not using NXT as a topper if you have already used a wax.
Old 4/14/05, 03:28 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Not everyone has the time to research all this...i know I don't.
So I'd rather be safe than sorry...and I don't exactly want to trial/error it.

And to be honest, if you NEED that extra say 1-5% that a mix of products use...by all means...go right ahead.

My warning was just a heads up. Can it happen? Absolutely
A better way of backing up your argument would be:

"Research to see if the products are friendly with each other, as not all products will conflict"
Old 4/14/05, 06:37 PM

Researching this stuff could be a full time job! Think I've spent about a day trying to decide on whether to use cotton or microfiber towels and I still can't decide! :bang:
Old 4/14/05, 10:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Badandy+April 14, 2005, 2:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Badandy @ April 14, 2005, 2:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by wsmatau@April 11, 2005, 6:17 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Badandy
@April 11, 2005, 6:39 AM
Zaino is not the only option people.

There are dozens of great procedures for your car that will look as good or better than Zaino. Zaino looks very good but there are "boutique" products such as the Klasse Twins (Cleaner/Sealant Glaze), Ultimate Paint Protection, and the mother to top off any polish, Souveran Paste Wax which is 70 dollars per tin but lasts a LONG time. Souveran ontop of Klasse Cleaner Wax (All in One) and ontop of Klasse Sealant Glaze AFTER doing a machine polishing with Poorboys SSR 2.5 and that is one of the best combos that can not be rivaled. Of course, it takes time, but it is worth it IMO.

I agree with the comment that there are other quality products out there (as I had mentioned in a previous post), but have you used any of the "boutique products" you mentioned? Souverain and pinnacle are insanely expensive. If you can afford them then you can afford to have your butler detail your car! And NO they don't last more than a month tops! :nono:
As for anyone that thinks that Zaino is bandwagon...I've used it for over 7 years after using Liquid Glass, McGuire's 3 step, 3M sealant, expensive Zymol, cheap (wal-mart version) Zymol, and probably several others I prefer to forget. I stick to Zaino. It used to be a real pain to get the results that are quick and easy nowadays. To anyone that doubts it, give it a try and let us know what you think. But don't brag about how much better one product is than another unless you have actually tried both.
Why are you all mad at me? I didn't say Zaino was on the bandwagon nor did I say all this stuff was that much better. I honestly think you are over-reacting, I didn't say anything controversial nor did I say what you said I did. To answer your questions, yes, I have used these "boutique" products. Why would I "brag" about them if I haven't? Of course I have. I can have my butler to do my car if I can afford Souveran? It is $70. It is not insanely expensive when it lasts an insanely long time. Your Zaino kit and everything you use from Zaino costs way more than my "boutique" products such as Klasse and Pinnacle. My Klasse AIO followed up with two coasts of Sealant Glaze lasts 6 months STRONG. Can your Zaino offer that acrylic protection? I will try Zaino, don't worry, but I never said it was bad or that my products are so much better. I'm not fighting, just keep it friendly.
[/b][/quote]

Who's mad at you? I started another paragraph addressing previous comments when I refferred to the "Bandwagon" comment, so if you got confused I'm sorry. You are right that Zaino is not cheap, but a little goes a long way and it lasts an awfully long time. You are right about the Pinnacle/Souveran costing "only" $70 for the tin, but that is only for the wax! If you don't use a paint cleaner it will not bond. There's another $30, assuming you didn't clay bar before that. As for Souveran lasting 6 months, you are the first person I have ever heard make that claim. There are extreme conditions that are factors and effect longevity (exposure to elements, heat, etc) so maybe I should clarify:
I use Zaino because it has an extremely nice "result to effort" ratio and it will last for several months under the worst conditions (hot sun, no cover, rain, etc.)
I completely disagree with your comments that mixing and matching products is a good idea. Clay bars are one thing (after all they are basically scrubbing off contaminents) but most of the products that we have been discussing have been professionally designed to produce the best results. These compounds are designed to bond at a molecular level to provide you with the clear glossy finish. I'm sure some product lines are interchangable, but I'm not going to be the guinea pig for trial and error and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I know.
Old 4/14/05, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by sillystanger@April 14, 2005, 6:40 PM
Researching this stuff could be a full time job! Think I've spent about a day trying to decide on whether to use cotton or microfiber towels and I still can't decide! :bang:
From my limited knowledge i'd use microfiber. It's a softer & a tighter weaved towel than cotton, therefore more delicate on your car. Just my .02.
Old 4/15/05, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ok you guys. I don't get what is up with all of the hype about Zaino's. I went on their website and read about their products and application process, looked at testimonials, and pictures. I ordered their products just so I can try it myself, but in the meantime, here is my 2 cents:

1. Zaino's is not that expensive. They way you all talked, I thought it was like buying gold! Zymol is waaaay more expensive. 1 jar of their wax was around $40 the last time we bought some and that was a couple of years ago.

2. On the website, they tell you to wash your car with Dawn dish soap. I understand the principle of it is to remove all of the old wax, etc. But on a new car or one with a paint job, I would NEVER use dish soap. There are products out there that remove impurities in the paint, and remove old wax. Using Dawn is the equivalent of using PAINT STRIPPER or PAINT THINNER. Why in the world would you put Dawn or any dish soap on your $30,000 car!!!!

I've used Mothers Gold for several years now, and get amazing results with their products along with an unbelievable shine. I have lots a 1st place awards to show for it. But all I keep hearing about and reading about on this website is either Zaino's and Meguires. Anyone else use Mothers Gold??
Old 4/15/05, 09:17 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Mtang78@April 15, 2005, 10:38 AM
Ok you guys. I don't get what is up with all of the hype about Zaino's. I went on their website and read about their products and application process, looked at testimonials, and pictures. I ordered their products just so I can try it myself, but in the meantime, here is my 2 cents:

1. Zaino's is not that expensive. They way you all talked, I thought it was like buying gold! Zymol is waaaay more expensive. 1 jar of their wax was around $40 the last time we bought some and that was a couple of years ago.

2. On the website, they tell you to wash your car with Dawn dish soap. I understand the principle of it is to remove all of the old wax, etc. But on a new car or one with a paint job, I would NEVER use dish soap. There are products out there that remove impurities in the paint, and remove old wax. Using Dawn is the equivalent of using PAINT STRIPPER or PAINT THINNER. Why in the world would you put Dawn or any dish soap on your $30,000 car!!!!

I've used Mothers Gold for several years now, and get amazing results with their products along with an unbelievable shine. I have lots a 1st place awards to show for it. But all I keep hearing about and reading about on this website is either Zaino's and Meguires. Anyone else use Mothers Gold??
I've used the Mother's three step system with carnuba wax and it was pretty slick.

Okay, what's the deal with the dawn soap??

Is it or is it NOT safe?
Old 4/15/05, 09:59 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Dan+April 15, 2005, 10:20 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan @ April 15, 2005, 10:20 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Mtang78@April 15, 2005, 10:38 AM

I've used the Mother's three step system with carnuba wax and it was pretty slick.

Okay, what's the deal with the dawn soap??

Is it or is it NOT safe?
[/b][/quote]

Go to Autopia.org and do some reading. You will learn a ton of information real quickly.
Old 4/15/05, 10:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm not trying to flame Elizabeth here, but I disagree that using Dawn to strip the car is equivalent to using paint thinner! Zaino certainly wouldn't have that on their site if it was evenly remotely possible to damage your finish with it.
Old 4/15/05, 10:38 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by outdoorstom@April 15, 2005, 12:15 PM
I'm not trying to flame Elizabeth here, but I disagree that using Dawn to strip the car is equivalent to using paint thinner! Zaino certainly wouldn't have that on their site if it was evenly remotely possible to damage your finish with it.

Dawn dishwashing liquid as an auto wash is used only to strip away any residue of old "stuff" that's on your finish so you can start with a "clean pallatte" to do whatever wax routine you choose. To use it as an "everyday wash" would not be a good idea because the alkalines in Dawn does indeed, strip off any wax and leave your finish unprotected if you don't follow it up by applying your wax.

I've got a couple of shelves in my garage of all sorts of stuff....Meguiars, Mothers, Pinnacle, Zymol, etc. You name it, I've got it (need to clear out all of that stuff). Speaking in generalities, carnuba based waxes don't last very long. For that reason alone, I don't use them anymore (but used to use them all the time). Polymers are the "in" thing right now. For good reason, too. They give a "glass like" shine and they do last. My preferred brand is Zaino because I've used it for 7 years and have been pleased with all of their products.....for both shine, ease of use and durability. Over that 7 year period, Zaino has refined their products even more. So, I've found no need to use anything else. I've had 5 year old cars, that sit outside in all kinds of weather and Zaino has done a great job with protecting them. I'd put up the finish on those cars to cars that are a year old and aside from stone chips and door dings, would say that the Zaino shine would compare favorably to just about anything else I've used.

That said, there are a ton of wax products out there. Probably a good many of them would do a good job.

Going to concours events, I've seen more Zaino products than probably any other brand used. Don't know what that means, but I have to think those award winners who use Zaino know something.

Bottom line, use what you want. Prep (like an initial Dawn wash and subsequent claying) will go a long way to keeping your Mustang in like new condition.

I'd stay away from some of the "miracle waxes" that dealerships tout or that you see crop up from time to time, though. I'd also stay away from any product that has "abrasives" to get rid of swirls since they will remove part of your clearcoat and paint to remove swirls. If you've got severe swirls I'd stick with 3M's polishing pad products.

Although Zaino doesn't recommend microfiber, I've found that good microfiber is better than the 100% cotton towel routine for ease of use. The good ones also don't scratch your surface.

I will be getting some Meguiars microfiber towels to try since they look like good ones. Look for the "waffle weave" towels, if you want to go the microfiber route, though.
Old 4/15/05, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Mtang78@April 15, 2005, 8:38 AM

Well here is a "test subject." I've used Mothers' before with good results. I used their clay bar this time around with Zaino on top. I used the Expensive Zymol one time and decided I'd never put that much effort into my daily driver again (that jar of wax sat in my fridge for two years!) It was a great shine and smooth as could be, but I can't devote one whole weekend a month to washing/cleaning/polishing/waxing my car. Like I've said before I'm sold on Zaino because it provides great shine, is easy, and lasts.

Let us know what you think when your Zaino comes in! Try to be objective.
Old 4/23/05, 04:15 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

After applying Meguires nxt ... took 4 hrs ...

[attachmentid=18904]

[attachmentid=18906]
Old 4/23/05, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Has anyone with a black 05 used zainos on the plastic bumpers? I was wondering before I tried it. I have 4 coats of Zainos on the rest of the car.
Old 4/23/05, 06:36 PM
GT Member

i've used it on the bumpers without a problem 5 coats worth.
Old 4/23/05, 07:28 PM

this may be a bit off topic but I was just wanting to know what you guys use for detailing and drying? I currently use a microfiber towel and was wandering if its as good or not as good as using a 100% cotton towel.

Quick Reply: What's the Big Deal?