Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

What's the Big Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/05, 10:18 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Shelby Roadster@April 11, 2005, 11:49 AM
I would also ditch the cotton towels. I've been a zaino user since 1998, and micro fiber towels will create much less swirl marks in the long run and perform better.

www.microfiber.org

Cotton towels are a thing of the past.

P.S. I don't have any stake in selling Micro fiber towels, but they are 100 times better then cotton...

Zaino rocks.
crap!

I returned my micro fiber towels for cotton ones! I opened the package already! :bang: :bang: :bang:
Old 4/11/05, 11:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked on the microfiber website and it says the towels are a poly-cotton blend. Zaino's site says not to use anything but 100% cotton. I've accidentally used a poly-cotton blend cloth on a car in the past and it took me forever to realize the polyester was what was leaving ultra fine scratches in my car. I usually purchase black cars, and haven't had this problem since I switched to all cotton.

The link below goes into great detail about micro fibers and backs up my above comments.

http://www.microfiberplus.com/better.htm.
Old 4/11/05, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Before this thread goes completely astray and gets closed check out :

www.autotopia.com or www.autogeek.net

You'll find tons of information and products that will make even the most compulsive neat freak happy!
Old 4/11/05, 12:17 PM

I have on 05 Stang on the way and have been surfing around for a while trying to figure out which product line to go with between Zaino's and Meguiars(guess I happened upon the perfect thread).. given that both provide a quality shine, I'm trying to focus in on quickness and ease of application, and how long a particular application will last... from what I read, it seems Zaino is the way to go with respect to these considerations... can anyone out there quantify this? Is it absolutely true that you don't need to buff the Zainos?? (since I don't currently own an orbital buffer guess that would save me some cash that I'd have to spend if I were to go the Meguiars route)
Old 4/11/05, 12:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by sillystanger@April 11, 2005, 1:20 PM
I have on 05 Stang on the way and have been surfing around for a while trying to figure out which product line to go with between Zaino's and Meguiars(guess I happened upon the perfect thread).. given that both provide a quality shine, I'm trying to focus in on quickness and ease of application, and how long a particular application will last... from what I read, it seems Zaino is the way to go with respect to these considerations... can anyone out there quantify this? Is it absolutely true that you don't need to buff the Zainos?? (since I don't currently own an orbital buffer guess that would save me some cash that I'd have to spend if I were to go the Meguiars route)
I have never used Zaino, so I can't compare it to NXT. NXT is real easy to apply by either hand or buffer. It is one of the easiest products to remove that I have used. I think a lot of people who complain that it's a bit diffucult to remove don't give it enought time to dry. I always let it sit for 20 mins or more and it wipes clean with microfibers. I would be interested to hear how Zaino works with a PC orbital buffer, since that's what I use.
Old 4/11/05, 12:36 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
you do NOT ...I repeat DO NOT use a orbital buffer with zaino.
Wipe on...wipe off.

If you see a streak while applying zaino, you've used too much.
It should almost be a glaze/haze that you apply.
Very little goes a long way.

Also...be sure to use ONLY back and forth motions, not swirls.
Follow the tips/tricks on which way to stroke...side to side or up down..depending on the panels, to get an even more distinct shine.

Once the prep work is done, Zaino IS by far one of the easiest applications ever. And lasts an awsome ammount of time.

Hey dan, tell them about the grease puddle incident on sunday, and how easy it was to get it off with the polish on there.....
Old 4/11/05, 12:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Boomer@April 11, 2005, 1:39 PM
you do NOT ...I repeat DO NOT use a orbital buffer with zaino.
Wipe on...wipe off.

If you see a streak while applying zaino, you've used too much.
It should almost be a glaze/haze that you apply.
Very little goes a long way.

Also...be sure to use ONLY back and forth motions, not swirls.
Follow the tips/tricks on which way to stroke...side to side or up down..depending on the panels, to get an even more distinct shine.

Once the prep work is done, Zaino IS by far one of the easiest applications ever. And lasts an awsome ammount of time.

Hey dan, tell them about the grease puddle incident on sunday, and how easy it was to get it off with the polish on there.....
How do you remove swirls if you don't use a buffer? Does the Zaino just hide them and not remove them? Or do you use a produtct such as 3M SMR before you apply Zaino?
Old 4/11/05, 12:50 PM
Bullitt Member

This is my friends 02 GT with Zaino and My 05 in the reflection.
Old 4/11/05, 12:58 PM
I Have No Life

Zaino has 2 products for Polish.
Z2/Pro and Z5

Z2/Pro is the high gloss polish
Z5 is a swirl/scratch remover
Z2 is more bling, Z5 is reflective, but not AS much as Z2.

Usually Z5 is used until a point you are satisfied with filling in/hiding the scratchs (i can vouche for this...it does a great job, but it doesn't perform miracles. Fine scratchs disappear after 1 coat....it may take more for deeper ones...)

Z2 and Z5 can be interchanged....So if you have 2 coats of Z2, and you notice some scratchs...you can use 2 coats of Z5 and then another 2-5 coats of Z2..whatever floats your boat.

But yes, NO electric toys, just a side to side or up/down motion.
Old 4/11/05, 01:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Boomer@April 11, 2005, 1:01 PM
Z2/Pro and Z5

Usually Z5 is used until a point you are satisfied with filling in/hiding the scratchs (i can vouche for this...it does a great job, but it doesn't perform miracles. Fine scratchs disappear after 1 coat....it may take more for deeper ones...)

Z2 and Z5 can be interchanged....So if you have 2 coats of Z2, and you notice some scratchs...you can use 2 coats of Z5 and then another 2-5 coats of Z2..whatever floats your boat.

So, when I first get my car, I should probably initially buy Z-2? I am assuming there will be no/few scratches as soon as I get it. I plan on putting a coat of Zaino polish on the exterior, Z-10 on the interior, and 303 Protectant on the top the day I get it. Just need to know which polish to use.
Old 4/11/05, 01:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Boomer@April 11, 2005, 2:01 PM
Z2/Pro and Z5

So the Z5 is an abrasive to remove minor swirls? I am sure on a swirl marked finish that you would have to prep the surface with something a little harsher than the Z5.
Old 4/11/05, 01:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

When I bought my '05 this was my routine:

1) Wash car thoroughly and dry.
2) Clay bar. I used Mothers instead of Zaino just because I didn't feel like placing an order. I don't think there is a big difference across brands of clay. Some people may think this is unnecessary on new paint, but remember your car has sat in a Michigan rail yard for 1-4 weeks after it was built. There are all sorts of contaminents on the paint (raildust/dirt).
3) Quick rewash and thorough dry.
4) 1 coat of Z-5.
5) Spray detail with 1 coat of Z-6.
6) 1 Coat of Z-2.
7) Re-apply Z-6. Repeat #6 and #7 until you're happy (2 times for me).

This all took me about 6 hours. While I was waiting for the Z5/Z2 to dry I cleaned the interior. REMEMBER the most important step is prepping the surface properly! You can use the best wax in the world and it won't look great unless you take your time to prep the surface properly. One great aspect of being a zaino customer is all the tips they offer on their website. If you take the time to read and follow all the directions I doubt you'll be disappointed. And FYI they DO NOT recommend using an electric buffer.
Now that I know my paint is protected I went back this week and put one more coat of Z-2 on the whole car and a second on the front bumper and hood because of the "lovebugs" that were mentioned earlier.
Old 4/11/05, 02:34 PM

hmmm... just attempted to order the Zaino kit (ZKIT-1), but since I'm from New Jersey, I was instructed to contact a local distributer in PA... the distributer is just a name and number, not a business from all appearances... don't know if I'll feel comfortable giving out credit card info in this type situation. Ohhh, why must Jersey be damned so!! Looks like I'm back to Meguiars...
Old 4/11/05, 03:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by max2000jp+April 11, 2005, 3:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ April 11, 2005, 3:08 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Boomer@April 11, 2005, 2:01 PM
Z2/Pro and Z5

So the Z5 is an abrasive to remove minor swirls? I am sure on a swirl marked finish that you would have to prep the surface with something a little harsher than the Z5.
[/b][/quote]

There are NO abrasives in any of the Zaino polishes. The Z-5 polish has fill qualities for tiny surface scratches. Another plus is that their polish is nearly perfectly optically clear and will not yellow like wax. BTW, all car wax has some degree of yellow right from the start, it's inherent in the carnauba. Also, you can apply as many coats as you want, it only makes the paint look "deeper". I now several guys in my Cobra club that have 30-plus coats.

Hey, I have nothing at stake here, it's just my testimonial. I've used Liquid Glass, Mothers, and others in the past...and liked them. However, nothing was so easy to use, protected so well, and looked so good as Zaino. Hope you decide to try it sometime.
Old 4/11/05, 03:20 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like everyone forgot to tell Hellcat that is one AWESOME looking car! VERY nice!!!
Old 4/11/05, 03:29 PM
GT Member

I've got 6 coats of zaino z2 pro on my car and constantly get compliments on it. I use a california car duster to get the pollen off in the morning .

I love the stuff and would never use anything else. It really does work wonders especially for a black car. The shine really does look a mile deep.
Old 4/11/05, 04:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I use Meguir's 3 step.

1. Wash
2. Clay bar where needed
3. Cleaner Wax
4. Polish
5. Carnuba

Results...

By the way...the little spec on the hood is not bird droppings...its the Moon.

I couldn't imagine a better shine. My dad has always used Meguirs, and So have I. Does wonders, and is easy to use.
Old 4/11/05, 04:52 PM
I Have No Life

Yeah, I thought Z5 filled the scratches/swirls.

does a great job
Old 4/11/05, 05:00 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Surfn, I love that Meguire's Carnuba, that's what I use. That's an insane shine.
Old 4/11/05, 05:12 PM
I Have No Life

Great job Rich...
Black looks awsome cleaned up.

Quick Reply: What's the Big Deal?