General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/07, 06:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Jon... ever drive a pre-2005 manual Mustang?? (read:mushy, wet noodle, long throw)

Your car HAS a short throw shifter.

But... I'm just sayin'!

Nope, this is the first manual I've ever owned and driven. I'll order today after I get off work
Old 12/22/07, 06:33 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Jon... ever drive a pre-2005 manual Mustang?? (read:mushy, wet noodle, long throw)

Your car HAS a short throw shifter.
Originally Posted by habu
I haven't seen any of the MGW own ***** that I like.
Stock vs. MGW, yeah night and day. Where the Hurst felt like you had to force it into gear the MGW has a feeling of a precision *snick* into gear. The stock one isn't bad but the MGW is better.
I probably will switch to the MGW after the warranty is up.
The stock shifter is really pretty good, but it could be better.
My only complaint is the 3rd gear shift which, once in a while, doesn't.
I also don't see any MGW ***** I like.
Old 12/22/07, 06:43 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
Nope, this is the first manual I've ever owned and driven.
Then you don't know what a crappy shifter is!

Originally Posted by karman
The stock shifter is really pretty good, but it could be better.
Of course it could be better... anything could be better. To re-emphasize my stand: The shifter that comes with the car is far superior than any aftermarket shifter for a pre-2005 Mustang. People (me included) paid money to get a shifter that still wasn't as good as our factory one.
Old 12/22/07, 07:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JedCranium
Hey what do you guys think of this type of filter?

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_399445_-1
$305???

Unecessary IMO; stick with a Ford Racing or the Ford filter.

Not that I have an oil temperature problem. But I'm sure it wouldn't hurt!
If you don't have a oil temp problem, but want to cool your engine more, why not install a Fluidyne aluminum radiator instead?

Of course it could be better... anything could be better. To re-emphasize my stand: The shifter that comes with the car is far superior than any aftermarket shifter for a pre-2005 Mustang. People (me included) paid money to get a shifter that still wasn't as good as our factory one.
Tom will end up upgrading the shifter at one point, it's just the natural order if he continues modding his car. But until he does, debating with him about it is moot.

He'll eventually see the light...
Old 12/22/07, 10:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Like on those 89s?
Old 12/22/07, 12:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I beleive the new Bullitt has a revised shifter.
Old 12/22/07, 03:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by matko
I beleive the new Bullitt has a revised shifter.
Quote from 5.0 Mustang magazine: "I fell in love with the shifter. It's smooth and quiet, and it doesn't have the wet-noodle feel of the standard S197 shifter."

Bullitt parts will be available from Ford Racing.
Old 12/22/07, 03:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I just went ahead and put the order through for the MGW shifter. I ordered both shaft sizes so I can use both stock and hurst cue ball ****. I thought about waiting till warrenty was up to start modding but just after putting springs on my car the dealer was already annoyed. And anyways I have extended warrenty on the car so why wait.

Hopefully I'll be able to install the shifter next weekend, assuming it comes...
Old 12/22/07, 04:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tom is right... There isn't really anything wrong with the stock shifter. Coming from a 97 GTi it was remarkably better. I went Hurst because of the "look" (and I got a deal on it).The frigging thing was a notch-o-matic and drove me crazy. I decided on the MGW because I wasn't going to try and re-install the stock shifter. The MGW is much better than stock and I am completely happy. It's just that the stock wasn't so bad

????? 'bout the oil thing. I could see how with the turbo that maybe an oil cooler would help then making it remote would ease changing the filter. But IMO unless you need it, it seems like it's maybe overkill. Not that that is bad.

I'll push up some of the pics from Cars & Coffee a little later today, as well as a mini-POTR run.

Jed/George.... what's the site for the C&C pics again ??
Old 12/22/07, 05:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's the pics from Cars and Coffee, They got a few pics of me, jed, and Habu leaving!

Large turn out today! Rest of the pics can be seen here...http://cncpics.com/v/122207/

Got to drive Tacobill's stang today with the LCA and new motor mounts! What a beast!! The car just drives fantastic Had a great time today
with TB, Leo, Brian, and Jed. I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!
Old 12/22/07, 06:03 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
If you don't have a oil temp problem, but want to cool your engine more, why not install a Fluidyne aluminum radiator instead?
Don't have a coolant temp problem, either. The oil filter relocation kit would just make me feel better since I'm using the oil now to cool the turbo.

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Tom will end up upgrading the shifter at one point, it's just the natural order if he continues modding his car. But until he does, debating with him about it is moot. He'll eventually see the light...
Don't hold your breath!

Originally Posted by kh765
Like on those 89s?
Exactly!! Now, THAT shifter was a POS!

Originally Posted by matko
Quote from 5.0 Mustang magazine: "I fell in love with the shifter. It's smooth and quiet, and it doesn't have the wet-noodle feel of the standard S197 shifter."
Wet-noodle?? Then, THAT guy never drove another manual Mustang in his life!!

Tom is right... There isn't really anything wrong with the stock shifter.
*fainting*

'bout the oil thing. I could see how with the turbo that maybe an oil cooler would help then making it remote would ease changing the filter. But IMO unless you need it, it seems like it's maybe overkill. Not that that is bad.
I'm going to install the filter this time so I can do some testing... maybe next time around I'll install the relocation kit. But you are right... probably don't need it.

Originally Posted by USMC0341
Here's the pics from Cars and Coffee, They got a few pics of me, jed, and Habu leaving! I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!
Great pics... and Merry Christmas to you, too!
Old 12/22/07, 07:23 PM

... And I got to pilot the George's Saleen/PJ! That thing is sweet!!
First thing I noticed was how comfortable and race like the seats are, quite different from the standard GT seats.
Could be the aluminum flywheel, but the R's come up quick; straight to redline!

Steeda LCA's and Prothane mounts installed!

Write-ups coming soon, but here's a couple teasers...

my pit crew...
Old 12/22/07, 07:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well the entire purchase was completed. Black hurst shift ball on its way! AND I finished all the mods I oringally I had planned in the beggining of November. Now... Whats next? Debating between shock/struts panhard bar, LCAs. I dunno. What are you all planning for the new year?

How are your first impressions with the new mods Bill?

What do you guys think of these. I want to do something with my turn lights. Something other then just tint them. These look good or not?

(1)

(2)
Old 12/22/07, 08:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Bill, how is the engine height with the Prothane mounts installed?? Shaker, etc. still look alright?? Seat of the pants impressions?? Are the bolts in your photo is what's supplied with the mounts?

I'm anxious....... it's been a month since my last mod and I've decided to sell it (SLP Loudmouths for sale in the classifieds, LOL!) so I have these Prothane mounts coming along with Web Electric brake light pulsers, sequential turn-signals, and auto-off turn signals coming soon.
Old 12/22/07, 10:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

I believe he said that it did not lower the engine at all but I'll leave the impressions for him. I got to drive the Tacomobile but since it was my first drive w/LCA, Driveshaft, 4.10s and the Prothanes I couldn't tell you what the difference was. I will say this much though... it's hard not to spin the tires on Bill's car

On a different front.... I had a little fun in mine.

Old 12/22/07, 11:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Dang man, that smoke looks like a space shuttle takeoff!

LOL I hope you own stock in Nitto, BFG, Pirelli, whatever the heck it is!
Old 12/22/07, 11:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
Well the entire purchase was completed. Black hurst shift ball on its way! AND I finished all the mods I oringally I had planned in the beggining of November. Now... Whats next? Debating between shock/struts panhard bar, LCAs. I dunno. What are you all planning for the new year?

How are your first impressions with the new mods Bill?

What do you guys think of these. I want to do something with my turn lights. Something other then just tint them. These look good or not?

(1)

(2)
Honestly I prefer the all black or all clear ones.

Originally Posted by tom281
Dang man, that smoke looks like a space shuttle takeoff!

LOL I hope you own stock in Nitto, BFG, Pirelli, whatever the heck it is!
That's how us Cali guys do it.

Awesome pics Brian. Must've been a real good photographer taking those.
Old 12/22/07, 11:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT

That's how us Cali guys do it.

Awesome pics Brian. Must've been a real good photographer taking those.
Yeah. It was hard to describe at the time, but you took 'em exactly how I wanted them to look. Perfect. Thank You.

Tom
Stock tires. I know once I go to 275 apart from a couple times these smoky days will be over.

JonCo Maybe I'd have to see them on a car already, but by those pics I'm not feeling it.
Old 12/23/07, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by tom281
Bill, how is the engine height with the Prothane mounts installed?? Shaker, etc. still look alright?? Seat of the pants impressions?? Are the bolts in your photo is what's supplied with the mounts?
Like Brian mentioned, I don't see any differences. If there is, it's a hair higher, and that's being pretty critical. I'm totally happy with the look of the mounts and the Shaker/hood.

Yes, the black Allen bolt and silver washer are what's suppied. Only thing that's not included in anti-sieze lube.

SOP: I'm very happy with them. As George mentioned to me yesterday, I may have over exaggerated about all the vibrations of the engine coming up through your spine and loosening your teeth fillings.
My initial reaction to the Prothanes in Jed's Roush was a lot more 'wow!' possibly because he's running cats, thus any addt'l vibrations can be felt alot more. On mine, with the O/R-H, it already vibrated the interior to a degree, which is the reason why I'm guessing it's not a huge difference.

In reality, only a slight vibration is felt on start-up and some during low rpm driving. What is very noticable is that the engine no longer torques side-to-side when revving it up, but rather the WHOLE car now can be seen and felt torquing (maybe 1/2").

To quote George again, he best described the feeling of the engine mounts as being 'tight'.

Speaking of George, here's him in action re-installing the engne mount bracket to the block for me. Thanks George!
Attachment 37056

I believe he said that it did not lower the engine at all but I'll leave the impressions for him. I got to drive the Tacomobile but since it was my first drive w/LCA, Driveshaft, 4.10s and the Prothanes I couldn't tell you what the difference was. I will say this much though... it's hard not to spin the tires on Bill's car
And here's a pic of Brian in action!

Attachment 37055

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
+1
Have to agree with Leo on that one.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-brian1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-george.jpg  
Old 12/23/07, 07:35 AM
GTR Member

We are heading out for the day, but I have a quick question...

What do all your dipsticks read after the car sits over night?

Toward the top of the hatchmarks? halfway?

Just curious since I have to add oil back after changing the filter.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)