General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/07, 11:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess this is for BCMC guys...
Are we still having the toy drive/cruise tomorrow night if it rains? Are you guys still going?
Old 12/18/07, 11:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I honestly had high hopes and thought that maybe, just maybe things would work out and for awhile it sounded like it would. Perhaps and it seems likely that Tom has much more patience than and is much more even-keeled than others, myself included, would be given the same circumstances. It also seems that it's probably not completely GMSs fault either but they don't seem to be helping and I think something like this where Tom had so close communications with them they would bend-over backwards to help, again I don't see that happening. But hey... they sold another 14 turbos and no-one else is *****ing so all is OK, right ?

Bill... who knows... off causing trouble I'm sure. If not he should be.

Is it raining cats-n-dogs down there too ? We have a *show* tomorrow night and I washed the car Sunday... friggin rain (and I love the rain and we need it) now the car looks like crap. Argh. I'm sure it'll looks crappier tomorrow too. Hopefully it'll be dark enough where no-one will notice.

A couple recent pics. The dark one I love because it shows the reflections of the sky so well.

God I love my car...

Old 12/18/07, 11:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by USMC0341
Are we still having the toy drive/cruise tomorrow night if it rains? Are you guys still going?
The stupid email says rain or shine. I have a toy so I should go. If it's raining it'll be a 15 minute show, drop the toy off and bail.

It's late December and I'm complaining that it's raining a little bit.... slightly spoiled here in California I guess.

Anyway, yeah I'm going and unless it's bad I'm staying for whatever period of time, 8-830... or so.
Old 12/18/07, 11:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ricky & Ronnies I plan on showing up around 6:00 - 6:30 p.m. If it's raining I'll leave the ROUSH in the nest. But if it's dry and sunny...

Here is a weather report for Wednesday:

Old 12/19/07, 01:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
BTW-WTF? Why did they close Tom's thread. I thought it was pretty informative.

I feel sorry for Tom. I really do.
The GMS turbo kit was prematurely released into the market without the needed R&D of ALL models from 05-08 with all their little differences and quirks.

Although he'll never admit it openly, I'm betting that he wished he went the SC route.

Looks like the Mod shut it down because it was no longer constructive to the general forum, but more of a 2-way tech support.

I do hope that Tom gets this turbo running like its supposed to and hopefully put this issue to bed.

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I guess your right GMS live up to his rep once again. I'm considering switching my GMS stuff to BMR but that would be wasteful since I got such a good deal on the swaybar delete and a-arm brace.

Wonder what's up with the Taco man. He hasn't posted since this morning.
Hey Leo, Brian and I tried to talk you out of buying GMS, but you insisted.
If it were me, I'd switch them out and sell the GMS stuff. Or, you could always throw some BMR stickers on them.

I've been x-mas shopping at the mall all night.

I'll be there (without the Stang). Dunno how long I'll stay though.

Originally Posted by habu
A couple recent pics. The dark one I love because it shows the reflections of the sky so well.

God I love my car...

Nice pics Brian!

Taking the 'block my plate' approach like Mike?

Brian, if 'the man' has your number, I highly doubt a fuzzy plate will protect you.
Old 12/19/07, 03:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great looking pics Brian. I really need to set a photoshoot day. I wish I had a support/motivation group to get me going on pictures.

Anways, long story short. Brake install went down yesterday. Stumbled across a few problems along the way. Centri pads I ordered were all defective with none of the metal clips attached to the spring itself. Rotorpros(thus far) seems to be more then willing to arrange a return. I decided to keep stock pads as there brand new.

2nd... and most annoying was the use of hi-temp paint... Once the car was completed I took it out for a short spin around the block to hear really nast sounds everytime I braked. I stopped for a second and then took off to feel hesitation. That should been my first clue to drive it harder and clean the rotors of the paint. Anyways, I took it back into the garage parked it for about 5-10mins. Then tried to back it out of the garage... Wrong. Car pads STUCK to the rotors in those few minutes. Had to take off all wheels, rotors, calipers which we're stuck together and clean off all that paint which act as a sealer. Should have driven it more to clear it all off but I didn't. Just a little word to the wise.

I'll give a better impression of the SS lines later today after work
Old 12/19/07, 05:51 AM
Cobra Member

I've been busier than a one-legged man in an ***-kicking contest and finally if it wasn't the holidays I'd have much more money to spend on my car.
Or a one armed paper hanger........................

I stayed out of the Turbo fray lately as I really had no value add. GMS so enraged me that I felt it better to let it go, I said my peace trust me on that.

It also confirmed that I would never ever buy from GMS, anything no matter how simple it was. And I'll be letting anyone who wants to know how I feel about GMS thats for sure.

It also confirmed to me that I could not install a turbo like Tom did, Bill could tackle it I'm sure but me, no way. I'd buy the kit and have it professionally installed and let the installer ensure it was done correctly and to spec. I know thats a bunch of extra cash but I'd understand that going into it.

Toms a good man, he held his "cool", much better then most (I for sure ha) I certainly hope the root cause is determined and the resolution is found and we all get a chance to hear the cause and the fix. Shutting down the thread seemed premature but I understand the lock. I've seen threads get much more confrontational, I though most if not all pretty much behaved themselves.
Old 12/19/07, 07:14 AM
GTR Member

It kinda sucks they shut down the thread. I was getting a lot of info. But I can still talk to the main people through PMs.

No, I would not have gone SC.

If I could do it ALL over again, I would buy the same kit.

It's NOT as bad as it seems, really!

With a turbo lag issue, I have (approx) 425 RWHP / 405 RWTQ on a Dyno Jet. Wait to I get the vacuum line hooked up properly (a new revelation), and the boost controller hooked up.

Another way to look at it:

If I was racing, I would be pi$$ed from the lack of torque and getting the car moving off the line.

I'm NOT racing it, so now I have a 500+ BHP machine that's still extremely quick, sounds bad as hell, doesn't put much wear-and-tear on the drivetrain (or clutch), get's 22+ average MPG, and looks great a car shows.

Am I supposed to be upset?? Do you REALLY feel bad for me??

Old 12/19/07, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by JonCo
I wish I had a support/motivation group to get me going on pictures.
Hey Jonathan, WE are your support/motivation group!

Now go out and take some pics of your ride and post them up.

Sorry to hear about the brake ordeal, sounds like you've got a handle on it now though.

Originally Posted by philster2003
It also confirmed that I would never ever buy from GMS, anything no matter how simple it was. And I'll be letting anyone who wants to know how I feel about GMS thats for sure.

Toms a good man, he held his "cool", much better then most (I for sure ha) I certainly hope the root cause is determined and the resolution is found and we all get a chance to hear the cause and the fix.
Tom is a Trooper through all this, but I think he's reached the end of his 'cool' line.

For those that don't know JR (like me), he's a vid clip of him.
Old 12/19/07, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper

If I could do it ALL over again, I would buy the same kit.

Are you kidding me??

Doesn't bother you that you installed everything per their directions and it doesn't work like it's supposed to? Or the fact that you have to go and buy other stuff just to make it work?

And yes, I REALLY felt bad for you, but not so sure now... you seem to be pretty happy about this whole experience, which is great if true.
Old 12/19/07, 07:47 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
For those that don't know JR (like me), he's a vid clip of him.
We have a saying here at work; "If his lips are moving then he's lying"

When I watched that vid Bill that saying came to mind...................
Old 12/19/07, 08:09 AM
GTR Member

Are you kidding me??
I just said it was another way to look at it.

Doesn't bother you that you installed everything per their directions and it doesn't work like it's supposed to? Or the fact that you have to go and buy other stuff just to make it work?
The funny thing is, I still haven't hooked it up per their directions. The directions say to hook the waste gate up to a boost source before the throttle plate. At the same time, I was told it really didn't matter, so I hooked it up to the same place I hooked up the BOV (after the throttle plate). This is the "new revlation" that I will be fixing next. As far as the boost controller, that will take max psi from 6 to 8. I guess it was supposed to be 6 all along, but 8 (even 9) is still safe. Over 9 and I'm pushing the limits of the fuel pump.

And yes, I REALLY felt bad for you, but not so sure now... you seem to be pretty happy about this whole experience, which is great if true.
Thank you for REALLY feeling bad for me. Certain things I'm not thrilled about, but the turbo thread blew it way out of proportion (which was JR's fault).
Old 12/19/07, 08:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by JonCo
Great looking pics Brian. I really need to set a photoshoot day. I wish I had a support/motivation group to get me going on pictures.
Photoshoot... heck it's my driveway and so cal so the weather is nice. Anyway like Bill said just take the pics the car will look great so it'll be hard to take a bad picture.

Originally Posted by JonCo;
Anways, long story short. Brake install went down yesterday. Stumbled across a few problems along the way. Centri pads I ordered were all defective with none of the metal clips attached to the spring itself. Rotorpros(thus far) seems to be more then willing to arrange a return. I decided to keep stock pads as there brand new.

2nd... and most annoying was the use of hi-temp paint... Once the car was completed I took it out for a short spin around the block to hear really nast sounds everytime I braked. I stopped for a second and then took off to feel hesitation. That should been my first clue to drive it harder and clean the rotors of the paint. Anyways, I took it back into the garage parked it for about 5-10mins. Then tried to back it out of the garage... Wrong. Car pads STUCK to the rotors in those few minutes. Had to take off all wheels, rotors, calipers which we're stuck together and clean off all that paint which act as a sealer. Should have driven it more to clear it all off but I didn't. Just a little word to the wise.

I'll give a better impression of the SS lines later today after work

yeah that paint is a PITA...

Originally Posted by Trooper89
No not really. Still it seems like it's been more trouble than it should be and even with the great numbers the hassle of trying to figure out what is not right should not have happened.

It's like getting a beej from someone with braces
Old 12/19/07, 08:17 AM
GTR Member

No not really. Still it seems like it's been more trouble than it should be and even with the great numbers the hassle of trying to figure out what is not right should not have happened.
I learned a heck of a lot more than I would have learned if it was just a plug-n-play! So, that makes it all worth it to me.

Great pics, BTW.
Old 12/19/07, 08:38 AM

It's like getting a beej from someone with braces
Ouch!

I learned a heck of a lot more than I would have learned if it was just a plug-n-play! So, that makes it all worth it to me.
Sounds good Tom! You are now our official POTR turbo 'go-to' guy!
Old 12/19/07, 08:42 AM

My Steeda LCA's are here. Now waiting for the Prothane mounts to come in. If the wife has no plans for me on Saturday, I may install one or both.

And as an added bonus, I heard Leo's springing for pizza!!
Old 12/19/07, 08:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Great pics, BTW.
I would hope so! I thought I had a pretty good mechanical understanding of turbos and that thread showed me how nuanced it all is and I know zip about that stuff. So by default, Tom, you'll be the Turbo answer guy.

Thanks for the compliments. I got a better lens for my camera and have been playing with it. Its been fun so far.

Bill So... install party at your house Sat.?

Hey Tom.. what happened on the Everest ride ? Does it affect you adversly ?
Old 12/19/07, 09:25 AM
GTR Member

Hey Tom.. what happened on the Everest ride ? Does it affect you adversly ?
No, it doesn't affect me at all. Since it was in the paper, I can post this:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...,7220436.story
Old 12/19/07, 09:57 AM
Cobra R Member

God I love my car...
You're not the only one.

Originally Posted by TacoBill
My Steeda LCA's are here. Now waiting for the Prothane mounts to come in. If the wife has no plans for me on Saturday, I may install one or both.
I know you're gonna love the LCAs. I'm surprised you haven't done them sooner.
Old 12/19/07, 09:59 AM

Bill So... install party at your house Sat.?
I'll keep you guys updated whether it goes down or not.

I'm not sweating either install, but the m-mounts looks to be a little challenging. I might have to remove the Shaker before jacking up the engine.. we'll see.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)