General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 7/21/07, 02:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I just got back from the track with Brian. We had a great time. Well lets get down to the times which is all anyone cares about.

Me- I got a new best time. 8.6 down from 8.8 and that was with just the CMCV's and UDP's not Doug's 1/8 mile only tune. As it got later it got humid tonight so times suffered. After about 7 the best I could manage was 8.9. So I guess I'll have to try Doug's tune next time. So with that said I lucked out and one another trophy by running a 9.045 which was good for First. Second place went to some ricer with a 9.055. Brian didn't show up till around 9 and with the bad weather his times were affected IMO by a couple tenths. I'll let him post his times and his track experience. So in closing the UDP's and Deletes did make a difference.

-Good night.
Old 7/21/07, 03:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just pulled in. After waaaay too much driving and instead of getting my seriously needed beauty sleep, see Bill2's pics of me , I am posting. Leo thanks for haning out. I wasn't too sure all the driving would be worth it at first, but it was and then some !

What a friggin blast. First "serious" drag racing I've done, legally. My only problem is that my pocket book won't be able to keep up with how fast I want to go.

ahem.. on to the times. Not pulling excuses but with experience I could do better. My best time was 9.12.... something and next a 9.2. All with only Doug's std 91 race tune, C&L & stingers. Missing shifts and really losing time on traction on several runs, sitting there not moving just spinning the tires, hurt on several laps. I could see Leo's mods really pushing his car after about 1/2 track.

What I learned.
a fart-can and repeatedly banging the motor off the rev-limiter may sound cool to your 15-1/2 yr old buddies, but it ain't making that 10 sec car a 9.5 sec car.
I NEED 4.10s, MGW shifter, better tires and pullies at least to keep up w/ Leo.
Even if it's cooler outside you're not going to go faster 'cause the track goes away quickly later in the evening.

I need to built my dream "sleeper" drag car just for these events. seriously. Almost to the extent of not getting a blower for my car, 'cause it'd be that much fun.

> 800 posts
Old 7/21/07, 05:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Well I just got back from the track with Brian. We had a great time. Well lets get down to the times which is all anyone cares about.

Me- I got a new best time. 8.6 down from 8.8 and that was with just the CMCV's and UDP's not Doug's 1/8 mile only tune. As it got later it got humid tonight so times suffered. After about 7 the best I could manage was 8.9. So I guess I'll have to try Doug's tune next time. So with that said I lucked out and one another trophy by running a 9.045 which was good for First. Second place went to some ricer with a 9.055. Brian didn't show up till around 9 and with the bad weather his times were affected IMO by a couple tenths. I'll let him post his times and his track experience. So in closing the UDP's and Deletes did make a difference.

-Good night.
Nice times Leo, will be nice to see how Dougs une improve your time. At least you have a bench mark with all the new mods, now layer on the tune and you can see what does what. Anyways good job
Old 7/21/07, 05:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by habu
ahem.. on to the times. Not pulling excuses but with experience I could do better. My best time was 9.12.... something and next a 9.2. All with only Doug's std 91 race tune, C&L & stingers. Missing shifts and really losing time on traction on several runs, sitting there not moving just spinning the tires, hurt on several laps. I could see Leo's mods really pushing his car after about 1/2 track.

What I learned.
a fart-can and repeatedly banging the motor off the rev-limiter may sound cool to your 15-1/2 yr old buddies, but it ain't making that 10 sec car a 9.5 sec car.
I NEED 4.10s, MGW shifter, better tires and pullies at least to keep up w/ Leo.
Even if it's cooler outside you're not going to go faster 'cause the track goes away quickly later in the evening.

I need to built my dream "sleeper" drag car just for these events. seriously. Almost to the extent of not getting a blower for my car, 'cause it'd be that much fun.

> 800 posts

Congrats on 800 and not to worry on times or skill, they will come to you in time. Remember you guys told me the same thing about tire roasting, same applies here just practice and it will all come to you I sure.
Old 7/21/07, 05:40 AM
Cobra R Member

I wouldn't worry about the times. I think it shows that the stangs are plenty fast right off the showroom floor

Think about it: what kind of mods did the ricer have that made it able to compete with the stangs???????

compare that to the easy bolt-on mods that we have...
Old 7/21/07, 06:46 AM
Cobra Member

not Doug's 1/8 mile only tune.
Dougs got an 1/8 mile track tune??? We got an1/8 mile track about 5 miles away that I have been thinking of hitting on the test and tune night...

Oh BTW... I think Doug raises the rev limit. I was hittin her hard the 2 days ago and ran to where the rev limters were and nothing happened, so then I ran it up to about 6500 rpms and still nothing. Was still pulling at 6500 though... You gotta love Dougs 93 race tune!
Old 7/21/07, 09:06 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
Oh BTW... I think Doug raises the rev limit. I was hittin her hard the 2 days ago and ran to where the rev limters were and nothing happened, so then I ran it up to about 6500 rpms and still nothing. Was still pulling at 6500 though... You gotta love Dougs 93 race tune!
The way I understood it, Doug didn't mess with the rev limit. I may be wrong, though.

There is a screen that I have never gone into where we can change stuff like that, I think.
Old 7/21/07, 10:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Nice track results Leo & Brian!

I have never raced 'legally' before, I ought to make it down there with you guys next time. It's just the r/t drive.... ughh!

Brian, missing shifts? Like you said, bring up the MGW up to the front burner of list to mods to get next.

Brian, I'd just funnel the money into the GT instead of building a sleeper. A sleeper is only good once or twice at the track, then everyone will be onto you. Will work 100% of the time on the streets, but I don't think you'd be making too many street runs.
Another cheaper option is to pick up a beater for a DD.

John, I think I remember Leo telling me that his 1/8 mile tune is for the Auto's only, it changes the shift points vs rpm's.
This new Tune Leo has may have the redline bumped up to 7000 RPM's!!

Oh yeah.. Phil & Ray =
Old 7/21/07, 11:19 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Brian, missing shifts? Like you said, bring up the MGW up to the front burner of list to mods to get next.

Yes, you definitely need to put this on your mod list. You won't believe how nice this shifter is Brian.
7000 rpms... That is pretty high.

Well, I have to put the UDP install off, he didn't send the alternator bolt and judging from Bill's pictures it is necessary. Does anybody know the length, grade and thread pitch?
Old 7/21/07, 11:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Nice track results Leo & Brian!

I have never raced 'legally' before, I ought to make it down there with you guys next time. It's just the r/t drive.... ughh!

Brian, I'd just funnel the money into the GT instead of building a sleeper. A sleeper is only good once or twice at the track, then everyone will be onto you. Will work 100% of the time on the streets, but I don't think you'd be making too many street runs.
Another cheaper option is to pick up a beater for a DD.

John, I think I remember Leo telling me that his 1/8 mile tune is for the Auto's only, it changes the shift points vs rpm's.
This new Tune Leo has may have the redline bumped up to 7000 RPM's!!

Oh yeah.. Phil & Ray =
You really need to do it. Don't know what the scene at Irwindale is like but Leo said it's much more crowded. That being said it'd be cool to do 'cause it's closer. The drive to SD and back sucked but what the hell. I had a great time. It's miles that I'd either put on the car putzing around or going to work anyway.
I flippin missed 1-2 twice. First time the problem was between the right and left ear . Second time I would swear I couldn't pull it into 2nd... 4.10s ...MGW... 4.10s... MGW.... it's gonna be hard to figure which I want first.

My dream "sleeper" is to get a POS falcon that looks like crap and put a FRPP/Jon Kaase 514CU beast in it. Have it quiet as a camry and as you're pulling into the lanes hit the electric exhaust cut-out.... eh, it'd be fun.

anyway, I'm thinking back to Shorty headers. I've read over and over that for top-end dyno runs they don't help enough but throughout the power range they do, 10-15. They'd help make up what I lost putting the cats back on. Jeez Leo's car sounds great. plus they're smog legal and I can't see how they'd hurt when I get a huffer.
Old 7/21/07, 11:47 AM

Well, I have to put the UDP install off, he didn't send the alternator bolt and judging from Bill's pictures it is necessary. Does anybody know the length, grade and thread pitch?
Yes, the alternator bolt is a MUST.

Don't know the length or pitch, but that bolt is fairly long.

You can always take the belt off the pulley and remove that stud. Once it's removed, you can measure the length and pitch of that stud/bolt and pick up a replacement with a regular bolt head. Don't let that little bolt stop the install!
Old 7/21/07, 12:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes, you definitely need to put this on your mod list. You won't believe how nice this shifter is Brian.
7000 rpms... That is pretty high.

I've read of people just getting a dremel or grinder and shaving the bolt down so that it doesn't interfere with the new pulley.

BTW-Brian must have brought me luck as my winning time was the only run above 8.9 I had all night. Which goes to show you that by the time Brian showed up the weather was crap as I dropped 2-3 tenths. Meaning if Brian had been there earlier he probably could've had a 8.9 or 9.0. This is the first time I've seen the weather/times change so dramatically. It was real muggy last night.

Like Brian said the car was really pulling after the 60ft as I was constantly catching and passing cars after the initial 60ft. Makes me want to get some gears and LCA relocation brackets.
Old 7/21/07, 02:16 PM
GTR Member

Leo, the weight off the front is helping your rear end squat better allowing for better traction. Bet your 60ft times are a hair better.

Brian could really use that 30lbs off the nose.
Old 7/21/07, 03:39 PM

I've read of people just getting a dremel or grinder and shaving the bolt down so that it doesn't interfere with the new pulley.

Makes me want to get some gears and LCA relocation brackets.
John, using a Dremel to shave off the stud portion will work too. However, not sure how you'll back that stud out if you need to swap alternators later down the road.

I see a set of FRPP 4.10's in Leo's future.
Old 7/21/07, 04:50 PM
Cobra Member

John, using a Dremel to shave off the stud portion will work too. However, not sure how you'll back that stud out if you need to swap alternators later down the road.

I see a set of FRPP 4.10's in Leo's future.
I can tell you 4.10's are in my future and next up. As soon as the Ultra Lites are done, well lets put it this way I have already started saving acorns and thinking of things to sell

Leo, you really need 4.10's...................
Old 7/21/07, 05:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

hey... don't push him too hard. I gotta have a chance to beat him still

got my stripes in the mail today I'm hoping I can install them first weekend in August ??

at least if my car isn't faster than Leo's it'll look fast.
Old 7/21/07, 08:04 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Leo, the weight off the front is helping your rear end squat better allowing for better traction. Bet your 60ft times are a hair better.

Brian could really use that 30lbs off the nose.
Very interesting... I think you're right, Tom.
Old 7/21/07, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by philster2003
I can tell you 4.10's are in my future and next up.
Anything else on the performance mod list? Maybe some UDP's or CMCV Deletes? Or maybe an electric H2O water pump?

Originally Posted by habu
got my stripes in the mail today I'm hoping I can install them first weekend in August ??
That's when I'm thinking about doing the DS install. I can squeeze the install in this Saturday, but would hate to run into a stopper the day before the show. This would be a total bummer.

Brian, you can easily stripe the hood, roof and rear spoiler/deck lid during the week and have the whole day Saturday to attack the front and rear bumpers.
Old 7/21/07, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Very interesting... I think you're right, Tom.
Tom is commenting on his own post.

Old 7/21/07, 08:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Tom is commenting on his own post.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)