General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/06, 03:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by habu
My day was just made a whole lot better. Coming back to work from a late lunch and I set off my first car alarm in a parking structure
Too funny!

And I agree, our cars aren't meant to sound like Prius'.
Old 12/15/06, 03:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
I won the bid, Leo's coming over in the morning.

Stay tuned for his pics and report.
It would have taken him all weekend just to get here!
Man, you and Leo hadn't posted in so long I thought California had slid off the map!
Old 12/15/06, 05:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sorry it's that I've found getting a new tv has renewed my interest in playing my 360.

Rotor install less than 24hrs to go.

Bill-Couldn't help but notice you added gears to your list. Click on the link in my sig. It will take you to summitracing where you'll find the FRPP "gears of war" for almost $100 cheaper.
Old 12/15/06, 05:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Bill-Couldn't help but notice you added gears to your list. Click on the link in my sig. It will take you to summitracing where you'll find the FRPP "gears of war" for almost $100 cheaper.
If you don't mind me asking, why the 3.73s over 4.10s ?? I saw a spreadsheet here that showed the 4.10 as not really making that much difference in 60+ MPH RPMs.... Just curious.

I've always thought that 4.10/4.11s would kill freeway driving but it seems everyone says the 4.10s dont on this car, I wondered if you know something that I should know ?

Good luck on the install. Can't wait to see the pics. They'll look great behind the new wheels
Old 12/15/06, 05:55 PM
GTR Member

Then add $350 for the install - that's not something I suggest you do at "Bill's garage" (unless you like your rear end growling). Seriously, though, without the proper tools and know-how I would never attempt that myself.
Old 12/15/06, 05:59 PM
GTR Member

If you don't mind me asking, why the 3.73s over 4.10s ?? I saw a spreadsheet here that showed the 4.10 as not really making that much difference in 60+ MPH RPMs.... Just curious.

I've always thought that 4.10/4.11s would kill freeway driving but it seems everyone says the 4.10s dont on this car, I wondered if you know something that I should know ?
Leo has 3.31s right now, so a jump to 4.11's would be huge for him. Personally, I would never go over 3.73 gears on a street car. 1st gear is just about useless with 3.73s, let alone 4.11s. And gas mileage will drop for either.

The only reason I changed gears in my '89 was because it only had 3.08s. That was way too high and needed to be changed to 3.55s or 3.73s. I chose 3.73s since I don't drive it every day.
Old 12/15/06, 08:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Good luck on the install. Can't wait to see the pics. They'll look great behind the new wheels
Well like Tom said I have an automatic that comes with 3.31 gears unlike the sticks that come with a 3.55. From reading several threads on various forums the consesus seems to be that if you have an auto you shouldn't go higher than 3.73. Although I've also seen some people with autos get 4.10 and swear by it. So untill I find someone with an automatic that has 4.10's and is willing to give me a ride I'm sticking with 3.73.

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Then add $350 for the install - that's not something I suggest you do at "Bill's garage" (unless you like your rear end growling). Seriously, though, without the proper tools and know-how I would never attempt that myself.
The thought never crossed my mind. I already know which shop I'm taking them to once I get them. Either way gears won't be on my car for atleast half a year if not more. Thanks for warning though.
Old 12/16/06, 12:01 AM
GT Member

Goodevening !!do You Know Why I Pulled You Over

1:30 Am Coming home from work. Got pulled over by a state trooper.Oh dang. Wasn't speeding. 'goodevening officer" -"goodevening,do you know why I pulled you over?" "NO" -"Your exhaust" "Yeah ,I have flowmasters on the car" " did you know that any modification in New York state is illegal?"
"No I didn't , It said on the box that they were 50 state legal"
"your neighbors must love you, have a good night"
WOW- No ticket and the 2 officers left with smiles on their face.
it was bound to happen. these mustang with the O/R pipe sound like nascars.I guess i have to start driving it like a baby at night to avoid all the attention.
ANYONE ELSE GET PULLED OVER YET???
Is that true about modifications being illegal?? the first thing i thought of was. how do all the harley bikes get away with it??
Old 12/16/06, 12:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2006muzzy
1:30 Am Coming home from work. Got pulled over by a state trooper.Oh dang. Wasn't speeding. 'goodevening officer" -"goodevening,do you know why I pulled you over?" "NO" -"Your exhaust" "Yeah ,I have flowmasters on the car" " did you know that any modification in New York state is illegal?"
"No I didn't , It said on the box that they were 50 state legal"
"your neighbors must love you, have a good night"
WOW- No ticket and the 2 officers left with smiles on their face.
it was bound to happen. these mustang with the O/R pipe sound like nascars.I guess i have to start driving it like a baby at night to avoid all the attention.
ANYONE ELSE GET PULLED OVER YET???
Is that true about modifications being illegal?? the first thing i thought of was. how do all the harley bikes get away with it??
I have gotten pulled over once, no ticket, for running with my headlights and running lights on at the same time. Never for exhaust though.
I doubt the mufflers would be illegal, but the O/R H-Pipe is.
Old 12/16/06, 12:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I have the same setup as you and haven't had any problems. All I see cops doing is checking the car out never had a problem so far. (Knock on wood) Like Daryl said the O/R H is illegal but the flowmasters are A-OK.
Old 12/16/06, 01:26 AM
GT Member

I still have the x-pipe

I have the same setup as you and haven't had any problems. All I see cops doing is checking the car out never had a problem so far. (Knock on wood) Like Daryl said the O/R H is illegal but the flowmasters are A-OK.
I still have the x-pipes on. haven't put the h-pipe on yet. When I decelerate the car screams this raspy sound. Loud as heck. ( by watching the vids) The H-pipe doesn't give off that sound.It sounds deeper and doesn't have that back lash farting sound between gear shifts.I hate the x pipe. can't wait to take it off.
Old 12/16/06, 07:52 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 2006muzzy
( by watching the vids) The H-pipe doesn't give off that sound.It sounds deeper and doesn't have that back lash farting sound between gear shifts.
Oh, really?
Old 12/16/06, 01:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well I'm back from installing the rotors at Bill's. I won't have the pics untill later when he uploads them. The install went good with only one minor problem. The problem came when trying to remove the rear stock rotors. I guess since I drive my car daily, rain or shine rust had developed between the back of the rotor and the "stud plate" (probably not what its called but you get the point) so when we went to pull it off it was stuck and wouldn't budge. So we ended up having to hit the stock rotors with a hammer. A few good hits and it came right out rotor intact. Total time for install was a little over 2 hours. Very easy install if you have the tools I'd say this is a really easy mod to do and really adds to the car. My calipers really stand out now which is a bad because they're not very clean. So I think my next mod will be some black G2 caliper paint.

Tom- Kevin got a pic of the door trim from the inside. I'll post it here once I get it.
Old 12/16/06, 02:07 PM
GTR Member

That would be between the rotor and the "axle".

But, that is normal... Even mine had to be hit with a mallet to get off after the little bit of mileage I had on the car. Bill's probably fell off!
Old 12/16/06, 05:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks guys for the info on the gears. I did find the spreadsheet and for a manual tranny, mine, the diff is 300 rpms at 70mph... if it's correct.

Congrats on the Rotor install It's a B___CH when they won't come off nice and easy. My last car, a VW GTi, had a phillips screw that held the rotor on the axle and I stripped it out and had to buy a screw extractor set to get them out. Thankfully it looks like you avoided that fate. Get them rotors painted and snap some pics.

BTW did you get the drilled or Slotted rotors? or the drilled and slotted ones ?
Old 12/16/06, 07:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That would be between the rotor and the "axle".

But, that is normal... Even mine had to be hit with a mallet to get off after the little bit of mileage I had on the car. Bill's probably fell off!
The more you know....

Thanks guys for the info on the gears. I did find the spreadsheet and for a manual tranny, mine, the diff is 300 rpms at 70mph... if it's correct.
Congrats on the Rotor install It's a B___CH when they won't come off nice and easy. My last car, a VW GTi, had a phillips screw that held the rotor on the axle and I stripped it out and had to buy a screw extractor set to get them out. Thankfully it looks like you avoided that fate. Get them rotors painted and snap some pics.

BTW did you get the drilled or Slotted rotors? or the drilled and slotted ones ?
They're Drilled and slotted with the hub painted black.
Old 12/16/06, 08:31 PM
GTR Member

Well I'm back from installing the rotors at Bill's. I won't have the pics untill later when he uploads them. The install went good with only one minor problem. The problem came when trying to remove the rear stock rotors. I guess since I drive my car daily, rain or shine rust had developed between the back of the rotor and the "stud plate" (probably not what its called but you get the point) so when we went to pull it off it was stuck and wouldn't budge. So we ended up having to hit the stock rotors with a hammer. A few good hits and it came right out rotor intact. Total time for install was a little over 2 hours. Very easy install if you have the tools I'd say this is a really easy mod to do and really adds to the car. My calipers really stand out now which is a bad because they're not very clean. So I think my next mod will be some black G2 caliper paint.

Tom- Kevin got a pic of the door trim from the inside. I'll post it here once I get it.
sorry Leo,I love to use this ! Can't wait for those pics!!
Old 12/16/06, 09:59 PM
Cobra Member

Now hold on a minute! Bill does drive his car, I can vouch for that... He took me for a ride. Proving once and for all the car you see in the videos is not a stunt double!
Old 12/16/06, 09:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Have you guys seen the most recent pics of SHR's louvers? If not check out the thread they look amazing they're going onto my list. I think I'm going to pre-order them so I can save money as I assume the price will be closet to $200 once they're released.
Old 12/16/06, 10:14 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
Now hold on a minute! Bill does drive his car, I can vouch for that... He took me for a ride. Proving once and for all the car you see in the videos is not a stunt double!
Relatively, Bill never drives his car.

Have you guys seen the most recent pics of SHR's louvers? If not check out the thread they look amazing they're going onto my list. I think I'm going to pre-order them so I can save money as I assume the price will be closet to $200 once they're released.
I saw them in person, on the SHR car... they look great! You do realize that you have to remove the quarter glass to install them, right?

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)