General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/06, 02:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
... my only other option is removing the shaker ducting all together...
I think that may look pretty clean (eliminating the Shaker duct work all together). Only thing to do is fabricate some kind of block-off plate in back of the scoop.
On the negative side, you'll get bombarded with questions on where the 'Ram Air' goes.
Old 12/2/06, 03:04 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike (KdF), do you have any pictures of your Steeda CAI? We saw one picture that looked like the heat shield was made out of aluminum foil, so I wanted to see some installed pics.

Aluminum foil picture: http://store.cal-mustang.com/cm_able...D=9171&DS_ID=4

I really like the way the shaker goes into the stock air box, but I may be losing points at car shows since everybody has this nice CAI and I have this black blah box.

I like the Steeda CAI because you can retain the stock air tube to the throttle body. Doug just sent me an email and said he would retune all of my tunes if I bought a CAI. I don't care about the HP, but I don't think the car will run correctly without getting them retuned.
i`ll get some pic`s up in a little , as I just got back from the car show with the Wifey and eating is on the top burner.

Old 12/2/06, 03:17 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Aahh..here they are. She wuz dooin laundry as I walked by so`s I scarfed the digital .

Attachment 14944

Attachment 14945

Attachment 14946
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-1202061.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-1202062-1-.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-1202063-2-.jpg  
Old 12/2/06, 03:48 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the pics! Does it come with the rebel flag decal?
Old 12/2/06, 04:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
I think that may look pretty clean (eliminating the Shaker duct work all together). Only thing to do is fabricate some kind of block-off plate in back of the scoop.
On the negative side, you'll get bombarded with questions on where the 'Ram Air' goes.
I'll have to do something like that - my only other option is removing the shaker ducting all together.
As far as the elbow from the CAI to the TB... no, I think I'll keep the stock tube. If I wanted more HP, I would change it. But I think it looks good when it's glossy black and the Steeda conical air filter should look better than the stock air box.

OK, I'll take a pic. I just took it out because I drove the '89 to work today. I'll be looking for a keyed 12V source around the map lights.
The more I look at my car the more I think of just getting rid of the duct work. I think it would make it look cleaner and less plasticey. As an added bonus my dipstick handle would be more visible.
-----
Story time...Relates to what I posted above.
Yesterday at the track everyone was complimenting me on my car and saying how great it looked. The majority of those people also asked about the shaker and how it worked. I told them it's mainly cosmetic and that it provided minimal if any performance gain. Alot of them seem to not be bothered by that just because they liked the look. So anyways my point is if I'm going to keep explaning it's just cosmetic why bother having the duct work to the CAI which IMO doesn't look that great anyway and kind of takes away from the car.

Tom-IMO don't waste your time messing with the duct work and just remove it altogether. That way if you like running with the stock air box instead you can just slap that back on.
Old 12/2/06, 04:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Didn't want to lose anybody so I'm kind of continuing on the topic here.

I'm planning on removing my duct work and seeing how it looks that way. So my questions are....

How do you remove duct from the back of the scoop?

What are the odds of getting K&N to replace my heatshield??
Old 12/2/06, 04:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just noticed the addition to your sig. "autographed by Jack Roush."
Old 12/2/06, 04:24 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

That`s the Texas Battle Flag ...........and You wish!

Old 12/2/06, 04:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Remember that door trim mod I was talking about a few pages back?? Well looks like Donna went ahead and did this mod. Looks good I might consider getting that same color. Here's a pic. IMO gives the interior a more classy look.
Old 12/2/06, 04:59 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Just noticed the addition to your sig. "autographed by Jack Roush."
Not sure why that is funny.

Glad you mentioned it though - I meant to link that to a picture of the signature.
Old 12/2/06, 05:05 PM
GTR Member

So anyways my point is if I'm going to keep explaning it's just cosmetic why bother having the duct work to the CAI which IMO doesn't look that great anyway and kind of takes away from the car.
It looks good (great even) when the stock air box is there since it looks clean and complete, but like you all know, I never liked it just pointing toward the conical air filter. If I ever get a CAI, I will probably remove the duct all together, too. Then it's no question that it's purely cosmetic.

How do you remove duct from the back of the scoop? What are the odds of getting K&N to replace my heatshield??
You have to remove the entire engine cover and then remove the scoop from the engine cover and then the rear duct bolts up under the scoop if I remember correctly. I wouldn't bother making a block off plate for it (like Bill mentioned) - the air blowing in the scoop would just go out the back - no biggie. Not sure about K&N replacing the heat shield.

------------------------------------

I just decided to keep my shaker the way it is. After all the talk about the shaker duct, I want to leave mine alone because I really do like the clean look (and the sucking of air)... so screw the judges if I don't have a CAI - the rest of the car should be enough to make up for it.
Old 12/2/06, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by KdF
Aahh..here they are...
Attachment 14946
That's a big **** filter!

Clean looking engine bay though.
Old 12/2/06, 08:55 PM

The more I look at my car the more I think of just getting rid of the duct work...
I'm planning on removing my duct work and seeing how it looks that way. So my questions are....

How do you remove duct from the back of the scoop?

I'm interested in this look too, Leo. If it looks good, I may follow in your footsteps.

I know there's 2 bolts at the rear of the scoop (accessible from the inside) that holds the rear duct on. I'm not sure if you have to remove the whole shroud like Tom said, although it make things easier.

Remember that door trim mod I was talking about a few pages back?? Well looks like Donna went ahead and did this mod. Looks good I might consider getting that same color. Here's a pic. IMO gives the interior a more classy look.
Nooo! In Tom's, yes, I can see it.
Your car's all black and so is your interior. I'm not so sure the red inserts would look good against everything else. But hey, I'm a fan of the sinister look.
Old 12/2/06, 09:07 PM

Not sure why that is funny.
That is funny, kind of...
It sounds like you have a 'signature car'.

If I ever get a CAI, I will probably remove the duct all together, too.
------------------------------------
I just decided to keep my shaker the way it is.
Wow, you decided that in only 2 hours!

It's best to leave it the way it is until you're 100% set on a CAI (and what to do about the Shaker duct work).
Old 12/2/06, 09:09 PM

Oops, forgot to answer this question...

K&N has replacement part numbers for all components of their CAI system down to the screws. So yes, a replacement heatshield can be ordered.
Old 12/2/06, 09:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tom- Something tells me you'll change your mind again in the near future.

Bill- Donna is sending me 200" of the silver insert material for only $12 so I'm going to try it out and if I don't like it I only lost $12.

Do you happen to have the instructions for your K&N because I don't. If so can you get me the part number when you get a chance. I'll be attempting to remove the shaker duct on Monday I'll post pics if I can get it off. I'm thinking it will look great.
Old 12/2/06, 10:20 PM
GTR Member

I'm not sure if you have to remove the whole shroud like Tom said, although it make things easier.
I think the bolts are under the scoop. You can't get to them without removing the scoop, and you can't remove the scoop without removing the shroud. But, check it out first... there may be a way I didn't see.

Nooo! In Tom's, yes, I can see it.
Your car's all black and so is your interior. I'm not so sure the red inserts would look good against everything else. But hey, I'm a fan of the sinister look.
Leo's talking about the silver insert, not the red panel.

Tom- Something tells me you'll change your mind again in the near future.
Nah... But, I think I will take the K&N sticker off like Bill suggested awhile back. It's covering the mold injection mark, but it may look better without it. Also like Bill said, the last car show I was at was Roush-biased... so 3rd was pretty good for having no Roush stuff at all. I'll wait to see what happens at the next judged non-Roush car show.

That is funny, kind of...
It sounds like you have a 'signature car'.
You guys are just jealous. Well, I do have a 'signatured car'... make that 'cars'.
Old 12/2/06, 10:43 PM

Bill- Donna is sending me 200" of the silver insert material for only $12 so I'm going to try it out and if I don't like it I only lost $12.

Do you happen to have the instructions for your K&N because I don't. If so can you get me the part number when you get a chance.
Like Tom mentioned, I thought you were referring to the red panel door inserts! The trim is a different story, it shouldn't look too bad at all.

K&N heatshield part number: 074038

Leo's talking about the silver insert, not the red panel.

...I think I will take the K&N sticker off like Bill suggested awhile back.
Thanks for clearing that up. For a second, I thought Leo was losing it big time!

Good call on the K&N sticker. You don't need a decal reminding yourself that you have a K&N filter.

You guys are just jealous. Well, I do have a 'signatured car'... make that 'cars'.

You're too funny, Tom!

If I ever make it down to Florida, I can sign your car too! (TacoBill is a household name ya know! )
Old 12/2/06, 10:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Good call on the K&N sticker. You don't need a decal reminding yourself that you have a K&N filter. )
Wait, stickers don't give you extra HP?! These ricers all have me fooled.

I would also like to say...Go Gators. Let's hope the BCS agrees.
Old 12/3/06, 12:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

"Like Tom mentioned, I thought you were referring to the red panel door inserts! The trim is a different story, it shouldn't look too bad at all.

K&N heatshield part number: 074038

Thanks for clearing that up. For a second, I thought Leo was losing it big time!"

I'd consider the red panels if having to buy a whole new door panel wasn't the only way. Like I said though for $12 It can't hurt to try. Who knows I might not like them and you might decide you do after seeing them. She's shipping them out Monday so it won't be untill later in the week that I get them. BTW- Thanks for the K&N info. I'll call them Monday and see how much they want for new heatshield. I hope I don't have to remove the shroud as it was a PITA for Bill and I to get it alinged last time.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)