General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/06, 04:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KdF @ April 28, 2006, 3:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ah-Ha.

Max 200k.

Grumblegrumble..................
[/b][/quote]
Mike- Nothing to grumble about.

When you upload your pics into Photobucket, you'll see link tags below each picture (url, Tag, Img).

Per the instructions in the TMS 'How to post your pictures':
All you need is the 'Img' code (example below) pasted in your message box.
[IMG]http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/0914-7.jpg..[IMG]

File size doesn't matter, Photobucket automatically reduces the image size.
Old 4/28/06, 10:29 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KdF @ April 28, 2006, 11:51 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>besides..... Don`t you people WORK??????[/b][/quote]You jinxed me... or I jinxed myself. I'm a foreman at my attraction at Disney and all the other foremen had off or called in tonight. So, I had 4 attractions to attend to and that really cut into my internet time!
Old 4/29/06, 08:58 AM

Daryl & Tom-
Will this be an AutoVation install weekend?

Y'all (my best Susan impersonation [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] ) can always refer back to this post for professional guidance. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Last minute tips not mentioned in my post is to make sure you have some sharp (new) drill bits. Those factory clutch/brake steel pedals are tough to drill through.

Learn from my oops, don't shortcut it and attempt to use the pedal cover's hole as a drill guide. You will elongate the cover's hole and (by jumping straight to full size) you'll risk breaking the drill bit. Do it right, mark the pedal and center punch it.

You'll see that there isn't much room for the nuts because of the lip behind the pedal. You just have to drill that bottom hole as high up as you can (without going into that lip) so the upper two holes will clear.

Also, the advantage of drilling the bottom hole first is that you can adjust the side-to-side position of the clutch/brake pedals so that they maintain parallel to each other.

And don't forget about the gas pedal comment I posted. Make sure the bottom edge of the cover is close to even with the OEM plastic pedal. Push down on the gas pedal to the floor and you'll see why you have to do this.

Good luck guys. Looking forward to the pics! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/29/06, 09:42 AM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 29, 2006, 11:01 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Daryl & Tom-
Will this be an AutoVation install weekend?[/b][/quote]No, because my "weekend" is Wednesday & Thursday. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

Actually, I like middle of the week off days. But, I don't do any major projects on the other days before going to work. Then I don't feel rushed. I should be putting them in on Wednesday, though!

I just logged on to look for your pedal post, and what do ya know? There it is!

I wanted to see if your gas pedal had the same ridges around the holes as on the clutch and brake pedal (and I think on the dead pedal). Looking at your pics, it looks like your gas pedal is smooth like mine with no ridges. Does your foot need to slide on the gas pedal, and is that why there is no rubber cover like on the brake and clutch pedal?

Speaking of projects, we just got done putting in Mike's adjustable panhard bar. That wasn't too major with just 2 bolts.

Man, I just remembered that I forgot to go get my windows tinted yesterday.

Just noticed on their website that the gas pedal is smooth:

Old 4/29/06, 10:07 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 29, 2006, 8:45 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I wanted to see if your gas pedal had the same ridges around the holes as on the clutch and brake pedal (and I think on the dead pedal). Looking at your pics, it looks like your gas pedal is smooth like mine with no ridges. Does your foot need to slide on the gas pedal, and is that why there is no rubber cover like on the brake and clutch pedal?

Just noticed on their website that the gas pedal is smooth.
[/b][/quote]
Per AutoVation...

Why does the gas pedal have a smooth surface?
The gas pedal is intentionally left smooth for safety reasons. You don’t want you foot “sticking†to the accelerator. The brake and clutch pedals are designed to optimize grip and have a different surface then the gas pedal. This is same reason we can not engrave anything on the gas pedal.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 29, 2006, 8:45 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
...and is that why there is no rubber cover like on the brake and clutch pedal?
[/b][/quote]
No rubber cover, all plastic gas pedal. That's why they supply you with self-tapping screws (straight into the plastic).

Rubber provides grip. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img]
Old 4/29/06, 10:15 AM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 29, 2006, 12:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>You don’t want you foot “sticking” to the accelerator. [/b][/quote]Makes sense!

I feel like Bill this week. My car has been in the garage and covered since I got the car cover.

Wednesday: I'm off and I use the Ranger for around town stuff.
Thursday: See Wednesday.
Yesterday: I took the '89 to work because a guy wanted to see the engine.
Today: I'm taking the Ranger to work because I have to meet a guy to give him Mike's stock wheels.
Tomorrow: I have a birthday party to go to before work and I don't want the '06 in the parking lot (taking the Ranger again).
Monday: Maybe I'll drive the '06 again?
Old 4/29/06, 10:24 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 29, 2006, 9:18 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I feel like Bill this week. My car has been in the garage and covered since I got the car cover.
[/b][/quote]
HA! There can be only one Garage Queen. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]

Me:
Monday thru Sunday: 00 Tacoma

I'm still working on my first tank of free gas from the Dealer! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/29/06, 10:26 AM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 29, 2006, 12:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm still working on my first tank of free gas from the Dealer! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img][/b][/quote]Hope you put some "stay bill' in there!
Old 4/29/06, 10:44 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 29, 2006, 9:29 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hope you put some "stay bill' in there!
[/b][/quote]
Not yet, but I'm at little less than a quarter tank (200 miles sound right?).

Between driving to the 'yet to be determined' photo shoot area and taking her to the C-17 carshow this coming week, I may need to put gas in.

Question...
Because of the low miles, it it better to just refill with 5 gallons or so (instead of filling it up)?
By reason, it'll keep the gas more fresh.

Gas brands.. I was thinking about using Chevron gas. Not sure what you have in your areas, but here in CA, Chevron comes pretty highly recommended (I used it in my 944 (see pics))... sold it btw.

By my average, I don't think I need the Staybil unless I put her into deep hibernation. I do try to start the engine and take a short cruise once a week (up to operating temps), but not always get the chance.
Old 4/29/06, 10:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 29, 2006, 10:01 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Daryl & Tom-
Will this be an AutoVation install weekend?[/b][/quote]
Looks like tomorrow for me unless I get lucky and get a chance this afternoon.
[attachmentid=48006]
I agree with Tom, I somehow expected the Heel Guard to be larger. Was weird seeing that small envelope containing all the pedals. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

Also guys I think I have changed my mind (again) on the stripes. I would get the wide stripe painted and that is $1500-$2000 probably with 2-3 weeks in shop. Not an option I want to explore at this time.
So looks like I will be doing the BSM 12" Glossy White Shelby. Just need to see if I can find someone to install them. Don't know if I trust myself to that large of a project [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 4/29/06, 01:19 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote name='TacoBill' date='April 29, 2006, 11:47 AM' post='673718']
Not yet, but I'm at little less than a quarter tank (200 miles sound right?).

Question...
Because of the low miles, it it better to just refill with 5 gallons or so (instead of filling it up)?
By reason, it'll keep the gas more fresh.

Gas brands.. I was thinking about using Chevron gas. Not sure what you have in your areas, but here in CA, Chevron comes pretty highly recommended (I used it in my 944 (see pics))... sold it btw.

Hey! I have a whole 348 miles.

I read just reciently that the two approved brands by All Auto Mfg.`s was Chevron and Shell.
Wish I could Link it. <like remember>
I have never used Staybil. I have had gas in my VW for over a year and no difference. Maybe we gots better Juice in Texas?

[img][/img]

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...F/P5130035.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...F/P5130034.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...F/P5130033.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...F/P5130036.jpg

Lets see how this goes

[b]KEWL!!!!

it did work.
Old 4/29/06, 01:36 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Found the link
Old 4/29/06, 02:27 PM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 29, 2006, 12:47 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Question...
By reason, it'll keep the gas more fresh. By my average, I don't think I need the Staybil unless I put her into deep hibernation. I do try to start the engine and take a short cruise once a week (up to operating temps), but not always get the chance.[/b][/quote]If you drive it once a week letting it get to operating temperature, and put in 5 gallons every once in awhile to add fresh gas, that should be fine. However, STA-BIL won't do a thing to harm your engine or gas tank or gas lines, etc, so for the cost I would put a little in every once in awhile. It also removes water to prevent corrosion and cleans the fuel injectors. It protects your engine from gum, varnish, rust, and corrosion, and it prolongs the engine life (for Chris).

Hello? Daryl? Your Avatar?
Old 4/29/06, 07:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 29, 2006, 3:30 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hello? Daryl? Your Avatar?[/b][/quote]
Don't like my Avatar ? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img] I did that one JUST for Susan [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Ok here we go, I actually got the pedals installed and I have one thing to say;
WHAT A PAIN IN THE A** [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]
Maybe I don't have the patience, maybe I'm too fat to get in there comfortably or maybe I am just not very good at this stuff, but 30 minute install;
MY A S S.
About the only thing I did different from Bill on the install was to try and help the Dead Pedal to be a little more stable. Installed per the instructions, I am afraid a bump will knock it off. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
I bought some 2" x 4" Industrial Strength Velcro strips and applied two strips lengthwise across the Dead Pedal, then screwed it down.
Velcro Strips
It still is not as stable as I would like for it to be because the carpet just isnt't thick enough for the velcro to GRAB it properly.
Also I would STRONGLY recommend you use an Angle Drill to drill these holes as there was virtually NO room for me to get my cordless or even corded drill in there.
All Done 1
All Done 2
All Done Close
Don't get me wrong through all the B itching I really like the look and feel, so I guess it was worth it in the end [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
And yes my Dead Pedal is missing a screw, got shorted one [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
Old 4/30/06, 02:54 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ April 29, 2006, 6:22 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
... I really like the look and feel, so I guess it was worth it in the end [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
And yes my Dead Pedal is missing a screw, got shorted one [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Excellent install, Daryl! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Did I not mention that it's a royal pain in the butt? Oops! Maybe I left that part out. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

By looking at your pics, you got the bend/angle version as my first set (in reference to my e-mail).

Bummer on the missing screw. You can always get in touch with Jeff at AutoVation or go buy some longer stainless steel screws, may help stabilize it a bit more.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ April 29, 2006, 9:58 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
So looks like I will be doing the BSM 12" Glossy White Shelby.
[/b][/quote]
Didn't know BSM had a 12" kit.

What's the distance between stripes?

I like their 10" stripe kit, but would rather have 1.5" gap instead of their 2" gap.
Old 4/30/06, 08:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 30, 2006, 3:57 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Excellent install, Daryl! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Did I not mention that it's a royal pain in the butt? Oops! Maybe I left that part out. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] [/b][/quote]
Thanks, and NO you must have forgot to mention that part [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 30, 2006, 3:57 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Didn't know BSM had a 12" kit.
What's the distance between stripes?
I like their 10" stripe kit, but would rather have 1.5" gap instead of their 2" gap.[/b][/quote]
12" BSM Stripe Kit
3rd Box Down $139.95
Per BSM Instructions for 2005 Mustang Pre-Cut Stripes:
<div align="center">Prep for stripe installation
Buy Masking tape in 1 1/2" width.
Use this tape to mark the center of the car, and as a guide for stripes.
Make sure you carefully center the tape, as this is your guide for stripe installation.
The stripes will lay about 1/4" away from the tape
</div>
That would make 2" gap, but I guess you could use 1" masking tape, which would make a 1.5" gap or just butt the stripes up to the masking tape.
The only thing is you would probably have some trimming or tucking to do around the brake light and mock gas cap.
Old 4/30/06, 09:42 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ April 30, 2006, 7:31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
12" BSM Stripe Kit
3rd Box Down $139.95

The only thing is you would probably have some trimming or tucking to do around the brake light and mock gas cap.
[/b][/quote]
Must have just been released, never noticed it on their site before.

I have sample pics of all kinds of stripe widths, but they're on my work's PC; I'll post them tomorrow.

Can't close the gap space unless you order 'without nozzle cut-outs' and not sure how the pre-cut contours would be affected if moved in 1/4" each side. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

Heel plate question:
How far down did you run down the screws? End of screw even with the nut plate backing or past it?
Old 4/30/06, 09:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 30, 2006, 10:45 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Heel plate question:
How far down did you run down the screws? End of screw even with the nut plate backing or past it?[/b][/quote]
I tightened till I felt the nut plate try to move
Old 4/30/06, 09:51 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ April 30, 2006, 8:51 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I tightened till I felt the nut plate try to move
[/b][/quote]
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

You mean you tightened the screws down until the nutplates didn't move?
Old 4/30/06, 09:51 AM

Looks of the board changed! Internet time...? What is that ? I have a cover I got from Kevin that has never been out of the box. Tough to drive with it on [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img] Not good to put it on a dirty car so.... Shantel had a serious burp an splash back that lasted for " a really long time". As soon as she got the car started the check engine light came on and the gas gauge went nuts, Looks like another trip back to the dealer tomorrow. Since then I checked the gas cap to make sure it was on correctly and tight and the light went out a day ago... gremlins? Ayway, sun is shining, breeze is blowing and the water is sparkling so I hate to leave y'all but time to hoist a sail.

sea ya

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)