Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/07, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible

I had put this info in the MIDWEST section of the forums before I realized it should have been here.

Also, I lowered the resolution on the camera so I could upload the pics directly rather than have to print and scan them to get an image size I could upload as a very grainy image. So the pics here are much clearer.

I am new to the forum, but been around Mustangs a while - Since my Uncle pulled in the drive with a brand new 1969 GT500 Sportsroof... AAaaahhhh, venoms first bite!

My Brother had:
2 - 1969 FBs
1- 1967 Coupe
1 - 1966 Coupe (Still sitting in the feild - 22 years now)

Dad had:
1 - 1967 Coupe he built for my Mom in the 80s
Not a Mustang but a nice car - 1963 1/2 Mercury Comet S-22 - 260 V8, T-10 Sideloader 4sp. Trans. He is the original owner and still has the car.

I also used to work for the company that printed all the stuff for Dobb's Publications (Mustang Monthly, Mustang Illustrated Facts Book(S), 19641/2 - 1973 Mustang Recognition guide, How to paint your Mustang, How to restore your Mustang, Mustang How To, etc. I have copies of each (Sometimes multiples).

Here are some pics of my "Rustang" project. I have had it for 2 years (Nearing 3) and have been collecting some things I wanted for it before tearing it down. i.e. All the Shelby fiberglass, grill and front end parts, roll bar and interior Shelby conversion items, Shelby tail lights etc. for rear. No it will not be a Shelby "Clone" just have the look of a Shelby.

I have a 4.6 modular engine, Auto. trans. , aluminum drive shaft (To be cut and balanced), the harness and ECM from a local County P71 Police Interceptor Crown Vic. to put in it when I'm done. (No it was not "Flashed" before I got it). So I have all the coolers and larger pans for oil and trans. etc. that go with the P71 package.

It will be fully modded, IFS, IRS, pwr RNP steering, Four wheel disk brakes, Pwr. windows (They were not easy to find for the rear of a '69), pwr. sport mirrors, pwr antenna, auto dimming rear view mirror, pwr. locks, pwr. trunk lock, sub frame connectors, and more.

So much for dreaming... I just looked at the current pics again! It's enough to make ya...

I am currently building the frame jig for it. I opted not to go with a rotisserie because I was afraid she would not hold her own weight as bad a the frame rails are, front and back both.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0260.jpg   Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0161.jpg   Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0163.jpg   Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0172.jpg   Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0174.jpg  

Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0175.jpg   Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0169.jpg   Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0183.jpg   Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0185.jpg   Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0191.jpg  

Old 11/3/07, 10:16 AM

More pics
Starting with me and my "Messtang" and that last one is the rust that fell from one smack with a hammer on the bottom of the driver side front torque box - - Eeeewww!

Yeah, shes a scrapper refugee hiding in my wallet and kicking out all my cash, but I just can't stand to see a classic go to the crusher. Oh well, give me time! .

Yeah, I know.... & Right?
Attached Thumbnails Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0211.jpg   Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0217.jpg   Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0218.jpg   Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0215.jpg   Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0220.jpg  

Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0225.jpg   Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0193.jpg   Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0245.jpg   Newbie's 1969 Rustang Convirtible-img_0246.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 11/3/07, 01:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Dan

If you have been at this for almost 3 years, how long do think until project is complete.
Old 11/3/07, 01:45 PM
x21
Bullitt Member

Too bad this isnt a few years earlier and you arent closer to FL. I pretty much got rid of a 69 coupe with less rust than that. Plus I also had a full front end frame of one- from the radiator support, back to - and including- the firewall. I am guessing you could have had use for either. And since it was at my folks house and I was away, they got rid of her. I felt guilty about it, but hoped that someone may have spotted it and saved it.

I wish you the best on that project and all for you not giving up on it! Oh- and Welcome!
Old 11/3/07, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mayito514
Dan

If you have been at this for almost 3 years, how long do think until project is complete.
Well for the last 2+ years I have been collecting those hard to get Shelby parts, then the easier to get Shelby parts and so forth. (A lot of moneyfor some of that stuff!)

I figure 5-7 years maybe less, maybe more. and in the end 36-42K for everything I want to do with it.
Old 11/3/07, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by x21
Too bad this isnt a few years earlier and you arent closer to FL. I pretty much got rid of a 69 coupe with less rust than that. Plus I also had a full front end frame of one- from the radiator support, back to - and including- the firewall. I am guessing you could have had use for either. And since it was at my folks house and I was away, they got rid of her. I felt guilty about it, but hoped that someone may have spotted it and saved it.

I wish you the best on that project and all for you not giving up on it! Oh- and Welcome!
Okay, I'll cry now.... and yeah, hopfully someone saved her!
Old 11/3/07, 03:36 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Welcome to the site! I can't wait to see it when it's all done!
Old 11/3/07, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Welcome to the site! I can't wait to see it when it's all done!
Thanks, I hear ya! sometimes it's tempting to throw all the Shelby fiberglass and chrome onto the rusty beast just to See it but then, it probably would not fit right and just remind me what a pain fiberglass fitment can be sometimes But I'll get there when I get there, and deal with it when the time comes.
Old 11/3/07, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow 5-7 years, Well I for one wish you good luck with it
I am sure you will do a good job I feel your commitment to the project.,
Old 11/4/07, 06:46 AM

Well, the 5-7 years just has to do with waiting for the $$$ one step at a time. This car has been an idea in my head for over 20 yrs. and has been physically setting in the shop since Feb. '05, so another few years won't change my commitment to it.
Old 11/4/07, 08:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Cool

Dan, Welcome to the site!! I understand the waiting and stuff, I bought a '66 coupe in St. Louis back in Feb. '04, turns out it needed floors, qtrs, doors, fenders, and maybe 'rails someday (they're ok for now, if I take care of them). Anyway, good luck with the Rustang, and post pictures when you can of the progress!! We like seeing how projects are coming along!! Here's a couple new pictures of my '66. The qtr is just temp. installed, btw.
Attached Images   
Old 11/5/07, 06:13 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by hiznherponies
Dan, Welcome to the site!! I understand the waiting and stuff, I bought a '66 coupe in St. Louis back in Feb. '04, turns out it needed floors, qtrs, doors, fenders, and maybe 'rails someday (they're ok for now, if I take care of them). Anyway, good luck with the Rustang, and post pictures when you can of the progress!! We like seeing how projects are coming along!! Here's a couple new pictures of my '66. The qtr is just temp. installed, btw.
If it were me I would prob. do the rails now and not have to tear her down again in a few years. Someone had done a patch job on the rails in mine and they just rotted around the patch work.

I'll post more pics (Hopefully soon) as I get the car on the frame jig. Right now I am fabricating the legs for the jig, and looking for the best price locally on steel for the jig's crossmembers to support the car. An Art Morrison frame for the conv. would be nice for this car but $wow$.
Old 11/5/07, 01:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yea, I've thought of doing that with the Art Morrison chassis for both my projects!! Maybe if I win the MegaMillions!!!LOL!!
Old 11/5/07, 06:25 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by DanK69RustangVert
I figure 5-7 years maybe less, maybe more. and in the end 36-42K for everything I want to do with it.
dont you think you may have 42k in a 20k car when it is done .. thats a lot of metal mite damage .. buy a good one and then add your shelby stuff ..
Old 11/5/07, 08:52 PM

In MO - Fewer low rust cars here. New cars rust in 5 -7 years here unless you take precautions and good care of them. And a "Good" one at 12K or better would still need a goodly amount of $ in changes to be what I want in the end. And I am nearing 20K now, just with the Shelby stuff and drive train - So add it up, no I'm not too worried about ending value. I don't plan to sell for some long years anyway.

Still, I could find an easier one to build this is true but if I want to mod it up what better candidate than worthless junk? I defiantly don't have to worry about hurting it's value! And when I'm done I will know what I am riding in, and not have to worry that someone didn't do the job right, or is there rust hiding in the corners under body panels and trim of that 12K car?

But yeah, I did have to expect one (If not several) comments like "Scrap her, junk her, part her, get another one" I may be just an old f**t stuck in my ways but, I'll dance with the one that brung me. Even though they are still around, there are just too few of these old classics left to junk 'em out.

Besides if we don't save the ones we can, how will the next generation of 'stangheads score a classic?
Old 11/6/07, 07:54 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts
my comment may have been a bit sharp .. you should see the miracles kenny and greg g do with some of the stangs they have
Old 11/6/07, 04:43 PM

No prob., as I say, I expected it and have gotten sharper comments so don't sweat it.

In the end she needs frame rails (ALL), torque boxes (ALL), floors, doors, inner rockers, outer rockers, quarter panels, toe board floor extensions, and a front frame cross brace. and thats without a new top reconditioning the top mech. converting to a power top, adding A/C or mentioning the interior. (I have the top motor, top switch, stuff for the Shelby interior including the roll bar and all items (Except new seat covers) for the interior as part of what I have spent already.

I planned on changing the over axle panel around for the suspension I want in it, the fenders, hood, trunk lid, and quarter extensions will be fiberglass anyway with the Shelby look, the front and rear valence need to change for the Shelby design also, the engine compartment will be custom for the 4.6, so a shaved firewall, and smooth clean aprons (No shock towers) the cowl area, and quarter door posts are about all thats left. but then, again that was the idea - a new car when done.
Old 11/8/07, 08:10 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I see mega potential there. True there is some rust, but any good classic will have rust. I like doing the metal work, and fixing the rust spots, putting in new panels, and the like. And when you do get her finished, you'll know that she's yours.
Old 11/9/07, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by StangMahn
I see mega potential there. True there is some rust, but any good classic will have rust. I like doing the metal work, and fixing the rust spots, putting in new panels, and the like. And when you do get her finished, you'll know that she's yours.

Amen Brother! , and thanks.