Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Weight lifters

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/13, 07:22 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Nice! I used to be chubby in my early 20s and then got super skinny by dieting.

after that, i worked out for several years to gain muscle mass and totally changed my body composition. I gained about 25 pounds but psychologically still felt bad about my appearance because the scale number went up. Crazy I know.

Now that I'm coming out of my 30s, I started working on building some of the mass back. Sadly, once the scale started going back up I freaked out and went back to light weights and cardio.

Sorry for the ramble. anyway, I'd kill for a build like that now.
Old 1/13/13, 07:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to be able to put on weight overnight, but now I stay the same weight but start to look flabby if I don't eat right and work out. Im supposed to stay below 202 for the air force but I stay around 210-215.
Old 1/13/13, 11:03 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
hah, you lightweights.

I can think of a number of football teams I'd be the biggest guy on.
Old 1/14/13, 05:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
hah, you lightweights.

I can think of a number of football teams I'd be the biggest guy on.
Lol well I was up to 270 in my football days in college. Not massive by any means though
Old 1/15/13, 12:05 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hover between 185-200 depending on how much running/basketball I do.

Last week I took a week and a couple days off from the gym because I was doing a fast. My fast ended Friday around midnight, but on Thursday I couldn't shake the need to go to the gym. And I know it's obvious, but let me tell you food is important when it comes to working out lol!

My arms were shaking and felt wobbly, like limp noodles lol. Over the weekend I went back to eating normally and taking my multivitamin again. Yesterday's workout was pretty tough to get through. I took it easy when I needed to. Hopefully I can build my strength back in a week or two
Old 1/15/13, 12:57 PM
NTTAWWT

yep, eating beforehand is quite important.

If I'm working out in the afternoon, I'll have some yogurt and a sandwich or something for lunch.
Old 1/15/13, 01:03 PM
MOTM Committee Member

yep, eating beforehand is quite important.

If I'm working out in the afternoon, I'll have some yogurt and a sandwich or something for lunch.
Do you do specific muscles per day? I think most people do. I like to work several groups per session
Old 1/15/13, 01:04 PM
GT Member

Weight training for 9 years now. Started freshman year of high school for football. Got into Powerlifting and Powerlifting Competitions and have been doing them on and off ever since.

6'4" between 190-210 pounds fluxuating.

Best lifts are
Squat: 600
Deadlift: 550
Bench (the only thing i still do competitions on): 434.5

Quit doing powerlifting for squat and deadlift after some pains began. I still workout that part of my body but not like i used to. The only thing i go max weight and do the competitions for is the bench.. One rotator cuff surgery and recovery. I try to hit the gym atleast 5 times a week but i manage retail so its hard sometimes.
Old 1/15/13, 01:31 PM
NTTAWWT

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Do you do specific muscles per day? I think most people do. I like to work several groups per session
I just work upperbody mostly. Wish I was better at benchpressing, but I think I've got just a terrible form or something. Its pathetic. I'll curl 50# weights without problem, same with every other lift, but trying to put 150 on the bar and lift it is a struggle.

My legs are strong just from toting around all the extra weight and being somewhat active. Plus I don't like to put excess torque on my already bad knees. When I want, I'll leg press half 750+ without too much issue, and could have gone over a thousand if they'd let me overload the machine.

It really depends on what you want to do. If you're trying to bulk up it's probably better to do upperbody one day, legs next, so that the muscles have a chance to rebuild.

Last edited by StangMahn; 1/15/13 at 01:33 PM.
Old 1/15/13, 01:50 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I just work upperbody mostly. Wish I was better at benchpressing, but I think I've got just a terrible form or something. Its pathetic. I'll curl 50# weights without problem, same with every other lift, but trying to put 150 on the bar and lift it is a struggle.

My legs are strong just from toting around all the extra weight and being somewhat active. Plus I don't like to put excess torque on my already bad knees. When I want, I'll leg press half 750+ without too much issue, and could have gone over a thousand if they'd let me overload the machine.

It really depends on what you want to do. If you're trying to bulk up it's probably better to do upperbody one day, legs next, so that the muscles have a chance to rebuild.
Agreed! Your workout habits sound like mine. Except I do a lot less weight. I rarely even use the bench
Old 1/15/13, 03:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice lifts guys. I used to do powerlifting during and right after high school, but that's when I was about 225. Then I gained weight and went back to football for awhile. I went all the way up to 270, hurt my shoulders and started bodybuilding. I lost nearly 90lbs for my first comp. I live bodybuilding, but miss how strong I used to be. I can still lift very heavy, but not like I used to.

I train specific body parts each day. My best results came from a 9 day split like this:

Chest
Back
Off
Quads
Delts
Off
Hams
Arms
Off
Repeat
Old 1/15/13, 03:14 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by blairnr67
Nice lifts guys. I used to do powerlifting during and right after high school, but that's when I was about 225. Then I gained weight and went back to football for awhile. I went all the way up to 270, hurt my shoulders and started bodybuilding. I lost nearly 90lbs for my first comp. I live bodybuilding, but miss how strong I used to be. I can still lift very heavy, but not like I used to.

I train specific body parts each day. My best results came from a 9 day split like this:

Chest
Back
Off
Quads
Delts
Off
Hams
Arms
Off
Repeat
Not bad! I may try that!
Old 1/15/13, 04:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

I train super hard when I do this routine. Each body part is sore almost the entire 9 days. I'm talking to failure with drop sets, heavy negatives, just all out intensity. It's awesome, you will notice big gains. After about 12 weeks of this my incline bench went from about 275x8 to 315x10 on my last set.
Old 1/15/13, 04:35 PM
NTTAWWT

I love it when I go to the gym and do a type of lift that I never see anyone do. Two days later, I walk in and see the guys that were obviously watching me doing the same lifts.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Old 1/15/13, 04:51 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I like when I drive past the gym. Makes me feel great that I'm not one of those people in there.
Old 1/15/13, 05:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love it when I go to the gym and do a type of lift that I never see anyone do. Two days later, I walk in and see the guys that were obviously watching me doing the same lifts.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Lol I like catching people stare in the mirror
Old 1/15/13, 05:33 PM
NTTAWWT

I thought it was especially funny, because it's one of the guys that set off the Lunk Alarm at Planet Fitness the other day. If they see someone grunting, making a lot of noise, dropping weights, etc. they'll set that off. Embarrassed the crap out of that guy.
Old 1/15/13, 06:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

I thought it was especially funny, because it's one of the guys that set off the Lunk Alarm at Planet Fitness the other day. If they see someone grunting, making a lot of noise, dropping weights, etc. they'll set that off. Embarrassed the crap out of that guy.
That is so stupid... It's supposed to be the "judgement free zone" yet they are judging the people who actually workout with intensity. If I worked out there and they set it off, I'd punch the person who set it off in the mouth. Or I would just keep grunting and dropping weights and see if they dare throw me out.
Old 1/15/13, 07:03 PM

Addicted to it, once you get hooked and do it regularly, the feeling of crap comes over you on the days you miss!
Old 1/15/13, 07:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by blairnr67
That is so stupid... It's supposed to be the "judgement free zone" yet they are judging the people who actually workout with intensity. If I worked out there and they set it off, I'd punch the person who set it off in the mouth. Or I would just keep grunting and dropping weights and see if they dare throw me out.

^ I tend to disagree... Theres a difference between a grunt or heavy breathing..... And being stupid, yelling, throwing weights around, etc...There are some people that go over the top. Theres no reason to drop and throw weights.. Makes you look like an idiot IMHO... That has nothing to do with intensity either. Being a powerlifter that has done this for 9 years, Ive NEVER gone screaming throwing **** around.. Not at competitions, in the gym, anything. Theres a difference between intensity, and an attention *****.

Quick Reply: Weight lifters