Notices
General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat

If you are buying a new car today...

Old 2/5/16, 12:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE= View Post

You don't understand business and human greed, people wont undercut their profits even if it would mean that their source of profit will die out. Same with the unions, they didn't want to budge on cutbacks, they would rather lose it all and kill the hand that feeds it.
Every item that's a hot buy always sells high the concept of supply and demand in free market, hellcats, camaros, gt350 they all will sell with adjusted markup, dealer buys the cars, sells it for whatever they feel people are willing to pay for a new hot item. Smart people will wait it out and buy for MSRP or even lower.
Not saying you are wrong on the reality but left a sour taste in my mouth and I said go pack sand to GM after that back when I was ready to buy a pony car. Thanks to the greed of Chevy, they turned me onto Mustang and happy ever since with my stang.

For those consumers out there that did pay thousands over invoice, rock out. For those enthusiasts who must be the first few to have a Gt350 and willing to pay 15 to 20k over MSRP, rock out. I have never paid over MSRP for a car. I have never paid MSRP for a car. I would never pay MSRP for a car let alone over MSRP over a car.

There is no car that I personally need or want to have that bad that I would be willing to pay over MSRP or MSRP.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/5/16 at 12:19 PM.
Old 2/5/16, 01:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmoyer View Post
There are so many responses....where to begin.

The dealers price the cars, not the manufacturer. Ford, Chrysler and GM dealers are all guilty of markups on cars. You talk about how bad GM service is, but I've been a GM guy my entire life and have never had an issue getting warranty repairs taken care of. I've even had things fixed for free after warranty because GM felt it was good customer service. Yes, I've had cars with issues, but who hasn't. The Genereal has always gotten my car fixed! The only time they couldn't fix an issue, they sent me away without charging for a six hour service call.

Now, with the '14 GT...I've had the dealership tell me that they won't fix the dreaded engine tick, they won't fix peeling paint on the underside of my hood, and they gave me an attitude about replacing my wheels when the rear axle was found to be bent! Ford's customer service is horrible in comparison to GMs, from my perspective. Also the quality of the fit and finish on the Mustang is not as good as the GM vehicles. I've seen people on these boards make excuses for the car's issues as being an assembly line product. Chevy owners won't accept that as a reason from GM. My Gt has 14k miles on it and the finish is already wearing on the console where my wrist touches behind the shifter.

Someone mentioned the price difference between a '16 base GT and the Camaro. I've done the same comparisons, but you can't take base price to base price. You need to option the GT to match the Camaro SS. In '14, my last comparison, the GT needed the Brembo brake package, at $2200, and a few other options, to equal the SS. When added in, the GT came in about $200 less than a comparably equipped Camaro. Also remember the SS has hood struts and not a prop rod! Personally, the 5th gen never did anything for me so we got the Mustang.

As to the bail out, yes, GM took the money, but they paid it all back and with interest in a very short amount of time. The issue you should have is that the gov't purchased so many shares of stock and then sold all shares before recovering the original share price. That's the investor's fault, not the company's. More gov't waste. Ford got lucky and was on the verge of bankruptcy two years before that and was able to reorganize and renegotiate labor contracts under a good economy. Chrysler and GM felt their pain after the economic collapse. Ford was lucky with their timing.

Lastly, I just recently purchased a new car. We waited for details on the new Camaro, checked out the '16 Mustang and decided on the Charger Scat Pack. The Camaro still has visibility issues that I don't like, the Mustang design still hasn't grown on me and the Charger/Challenger Scat Pack, with about 500hp and 475 torque for $42k is absolutely the best bang for the buck. I now own cars from all manufacturers and I see quality issues with the Charger also. My last new cars were in 2003 and 2006. Did quality go down across the board to keep the costs down and a new GM will be comparable? I don't know.
^ WHAT HE SAID. Especially the part about Ford service. My God, all I read on these boards is people getting f--- over by Ford dealers not wanting to honor the warranty and just saying every problem is "normal". I've experienced this myself 3 times that I've had the car at the dealer. I still have grinding gears and engine tick with no fix. It's made me really second guess ever getting a new Ford again. When I worked as a tech for Chevy, we covered any problem the customer had. I never once gave a car back to the customer for a noise or problem and said it was "normal". Several times we would cover failures that happened just out of warranty period as goodwill.
Old 2/5/16, 01:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
There is an MSRP for cars and Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan , etc dealerships follow quidlines the manufacturer sets. While each dealership can run how they want , they still are front line representives of the manufacturer and GM sets guidelines.

After GM went bankrupt and took millions of tax payers funds GM should of made it clear to the dealetships under no circumstances are they to charge over MSRP and bottom line, its GM's product. Not the dealerships product. GM was in a rebuild position and gain the trust of the consumer.
Can you imagine the BACKLASH if GM tried to tell their dealerships how much they could sell cars for? The dealership industry is a highly funded BEAST. There are regulations they have lobbied for for years. I'm sure there would be some huge violation GM would be committing by telling dealers how much to sell cars for. I mean sh*t....Tesla can't even sell cars in most of America because the dealership industry controls everything and won't let them set up factory stores.
Old 2/5/16, 07:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0 View Post

Can you imagine the BACKLASH if GM tried to tell their dealerships how much they could sell cars for? The dealership industry is a highly funded BEAST. There are regulations they have lobbied for for years. I'm sure there would be some huge violation GM would be committing by telling dealers how much to sell cars for. I mean sh*t....Tesla can't even sell cars in most of America because the dealership industry controls everything and won't let them set up factory stores.
Hey, maybe you guys are right. It just left a real sour taste that numerous Chevy dealerships were charging over MSRP after GM went bankrupt and took hundreds of millions of tax payers dollars to keep GM and all their dealerships open.

Those Chevy dealerships were open and those owners and employees had a job because of the bail out money and what's the first thing they do. They stick it to the consumers or try too. After being corrected I won't continue to say it was GM's fault, but just wrong.

I have no issue with Ford dealerships charging $15,000 over MSRP because they didn't go bankrupt and they didn't take tax payers money.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/5/16 at 08:11 PM.
Old 2/20/16, 02:37 PM
Mustang Fanatic

Received 414 Likes on 376 Posts
I'm pretty sure I would buy a S550 if I were buying a new car. I still kinda do like the Hellcat too, but I think the S550 would win out. I've been exploring some new avenues as well as boost goes too. I "may", (doesn't mean I am or I am not doing it, just not positive yet), do a centrifugal, like a ProCharger or a turbo if I do a new S550. Of course it would be built by JPC, the turbo kings. You can run lower boost and put out some stupid power and torque. I like that. lol And the temps are a lot cooler as well.
I'm still researching/trying to learn as it's pretty new to me and never had any interest in either before.
Old 2/20/16, 05:56 PM
Mustang Fanatic

Received 416 Likes on 375 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
I'm pretty sure I would buy a crapmaro because I'm a GM fanboy...
Fixed!!!
Old 2/20/16, 05:57 PM
Mustang Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak View Post
Fixed!!!
LMFAO GARY!!
Old 2/20/16, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have been fantasizing about this. My daughter and I were in Toyota getting her corolla serviced. We looked at all the vehicles to see what we would want if we were buying a new car. I would not give up my mustang so this would be a 2nd vehicle. I want something with cargo space and something good in bad weather. I kinda liked the Tacoma. It's my size. I like the look of the Rav4 but do not like that it is a 4 cylinder as most suvs are. The Dodge Durango comes in a Hemi V8 but I think it may be too big for me.

All I really like right now is the Mustang. I had a dream last night that I was test driving one. It was red. I did not like it. It was sluggish. Must have been a V6 or 4 cyl. lol.

If I were to trade up for another mustang I would want a s550 2016 or 17 California Special. As much as I love the silver on the s550, not sure if I would get it again. I like the triple yellow and CO. Maybe race red. I love the black accent package, the spoiler well everything.

Edit: I just looked at some videos on youtube of those colors. I'm really conflicted now on what color. Really loving the CO. Have not seen that color around here yet. I've always loved yellow and black. Red is popular and I had a red mustang. Silver is popular among all cars but when I see it on the s550 and with that black accent package It's such a tough decision.

Last edited by Mustang Mama; 2/20/16 at 07:24 PM.
Old 2/20/16, 10:48 PM
bob
GTR Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH View Post
The S550 isn't perfect though. I was very disappointed in the weight gain. The weight loss of the Camaro should have the S550's seeing GM taillights for the next year or two at least.

Probably until the next chassis debuts unless Ford can really dump some weight and really increase power on the S550. Neither of which seem in the cards.

The 6th gen Camaro's weight loss is substantial in comparison and the V8 car's output appears to be fairly underrated if the reports are to be believed.

That said...

Mustang and Camaro are both great cars but the 6th Gen Camaro has substantially raised the bar in pony car performance for the entry level V8 cars (well as entry level as it gets) and while more expensive the Camaro becomes a deal since its knocking on the GT350's door for substantially less money and perhaps will meet or beat the GT350's numbers when the 1LE arrives for less money as well.

As good as the Mustang is this is the same sort of thing we saw with the introduction of the SN95 cars. Mustang had better pricing but if your playing the numbers game you had to step up to the SVT cars to gain any sort of parity and ended up paying more than if you bought GM's pony car (well unless you ordered a Firebird stuffed to the gills with options, they could get really expensive).

Funny how history seems to be repeating itself. The Mustang is the more livable car and has better entry level pricing and Camaro has better performance but is the harder car to live with.
Old 2/21/16, 08:41 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love the 2016 Camaro! Am considering of getting it.
Old 2/24/16, 12:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think If I had my car paid off and was to buy another car right now I would get a F-150 4x4 limited.

I just feel like I want a pickup truck this time around. Its been 16+ years since I owned one.
Old 2/26/16, 12:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 313 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by dohc97
What would you get?

For me, there are only two options. A 2016 Mustang or a 2016 Camaro. I hate to say it, but the Camaro it is for me.

I bought my 2014 GT in May 2014. Like many in here, I waited for the reveal of the 2015 GT before making my decision.
yeah, i would get a camaro also. you already have a mustang (of course, the new ones are different), but variety, right?
Old 2/26/16, 01:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Not saying you are wrong on the reality but left a sour taste in my mouth and I said go pack sand to GM after that back when I was ready to buy a pony car. Thanks to the greed of Chevy, they turned me onto Mustang and happy ever since with my stang.

For those consumers out there that did pay thousands over invoice, rock out. For those enthusiasts who must be the first few to have a Gt350 and willing to pay 15 to 20k over MSRP, rock out. I have never paid over MSRP for a car. I have never paid MSRP for a car. I would never pay MSRP for a car let alone over MSRP over a car.

There is no car that I personally need or want to have that bad that I would be willing to pay over MSRP or MSRP.
It was the dealerships

The dealer sets the for sale price, NOT GM. GM puts an MSRP as a recommendation to the consumer that this is what GM deems a fair price to you the consumer and to the dealership who buys the car. From there THE DEALERSHIP can decide to sell it for Invoice, under invoice, MSRP, Over MSRP etc.

Dealerships are in this to make money plain and simple, not to ensure that you are there to have that warm fuzzy feeling about whatever car company they are selling products from. If they feel they can make money on a certain product or if they want to make the sale, they will cut a deal. Hell my truck snickered for 48 and change, yet I got it for 42 because the dealer felt that was a good enough price for them to let the truck go. I wouldn't pay sticker for a product so what will I do? Find a dealer who will sell it to me for sticker or under sticker plain and simple.
Old 2/26/16, 06:05 PM
Post *****

Received 162 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by dohc97 View Post
What would you get?

For me, there are only two options. A 2016 Mustang or a 2016 Camaro. I hate to say it, but the Camaro it is for me.

I bought my 2014 GT in May 2014. Like many in here, I waited for the reveal of the 2015 GT before making my decision.
If I was being reasonable I would get one of these.
Old 2/27/16, 12:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 313 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
If I was being reasonable I would get one of these.
lol Jags are my dads favourite foreign car, for sure
Old 2/27/16, 01:48 PM
Mustang Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stage_3 View Post
Realistically/financially speaking,..............
Then, it would be either a 2016 GT350R, a 2016 Dodge Hellcat Challenger, a 2016 Roush Stage 3 with the phase 2 kit, or a 2016 Mustang GTPP and build it up. Not in that order though. That would be hard line-up for me to decide/chose from.
To edit my list here,...........I'm thinking I may not do another Roush next go round. Nothing wrong with Roush at all as their builds are top notch and quality all the way. Every stage at their factory goes through quality control. Hopefully Ford will come out with another GT500 that is a V8 monster with gobs of power and torque and depending on how it looks. That would be on the list as well. Kinda leaning towards a custom GT PP build right now though. There are a couple of factors that decide upon that to be honest. Not getting into those just yet, as I am nowhere near ready to do that. Need to pay off this truck first.
(But I have been pricing things out and talking to my friends Jamie and Jason whose cars are well over 700 at the rear wheels. They're going to make me spend my money. lol)
Old 1/10/18, 02:43 PM
Mustang Fanatic

If I were to buy my dream car today,...........which I cannot afford, not even a slightly used one at even a couple years old. (I didn't realize they were so expensive. Very expensive.) It would have to be without question, the 2018 991.2 GT3 in Charcoal. What a killer car.
I love the whole look of the car. Inside and out. Gorgeous.
Attached Thumbnails If you are buying a new car today...-2018-porsche-911-gt3-front-three-quarter-motion-06.jpg