Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Thinking of buying a 2016 Mustang ? Read this first

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/15, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of buying a 2016 Mustang ? Read this first

Hey guys,

Just to let you know the nightmare that I am going through. I bought my brand new 2016 Ecoboost Mustang in November 14th, 2015. I took delivery of it this Saturday around 5:00 p.m. Next day Monday I was in the dealership with a long list of defects. Among them are: the Engine taping/ticking/clicking (Tried another same car and it does not do this sound), hard vibrations starting 55Mph that feels unsafe to drive, Headlight switch loose, hood doesn' t close properly and when it does it is not aligned with bumper, scratch in right fender, rear bumper not aligned with body side panels, right door and left door not aligned with panels, it sticks out about 3 mm., dent in right side panel...Guess what dealership, Customer Service and everybody else say...Warranty will fix everything. Now after my car being nearly 30 days out of service in the shop, the car still have the same defects. Ford says they are trying to fix it. Reallity is that I already paid 30K for a defective car that I cannot enjoy. It has been a great dissapointment. I asked to replace the car, they say no. Be careful before you buy a new Mustang. Check it first, drive it first. No quality control in the factory. It has been a nightmare. I hope noone has to go through the same than me.
Old 12/17/15, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can echo that I had some similar issues when I picked up my 2016...

- The day after I took delivery, literally within 12 hours, a coworker noticed a ding in the door, and the car had less than 100 miles on it (54 of which were put on by the dealership). The dealership agreed to pay for paintless dent removal, and ended up removing three dings from the passenger door and two from the roof. Obviously, either an issue with factory quality control, transit, or dealership prep.
- The rear taillight molding panel, on the trunk lid, didn't align properly. It was about 1/2" set in against the passenger side taillights, and about 1/2" set out against the driver's side taillights. I looked at every 2015/2016 the dealership had, and every single one was aligned differently. The dealership fixed this issue free of cost, and the panel now aligns much better.
- The Sync 3 system continues to have issues, and the dealership (and Ford) keep giving me the run around WRT troubleshooting and/or replacement of parts.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing more and more people complain about quality control, and Ford either denying the issues or dragging their feet. It's sad, really.

Best of luck!

JR
Old 12/26/15, 05:26 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I still (due to the lack of hood paint 'fix' after ten years of obvious process flaws) think quality to ford no longer means what buyers expect... it seems to be faded to 'good enough' to get them sold, hopefully thru warranty before anyone notices.

with defects such as misaligned panels, painting over dirt, seam sealer applied alongside seams instead of on the seam... painfully obvious that 'quality is job one' has left the building long ago.
panel fits on my 06/07/09 were all excellent. only one spot on the 06/07 where theres dirt under the clearcoat, and two on the 09, minor things that can happen, understandable that even a 'cleanroom' paintline cant be as dustfree as desired... its understandable that random stuff can get under paint...I never wanted them 'fixed' as a repaint wont ever be as good as original baked paint...but all three of ours had the hood undersides bubble off due to flawed process that ford first released TSBs about in 2005...
the dirt under the paint and corrosion issues that were so apparent at the 2015 auto show though... well, in my opinion they are getting sloppier- but at least they are sealing hood edges finally- although one displayed had sealer missing the seam, and the old bubbling paint already starting near a hinge...the dirt in the doorframes of the trucks was pathetic(only a f350 on display was perfect- others all had at least one or many instances of crap in the paint) along with two trucks showing fender paint bubbling around one bolt- a third truck had 'broken' paint around both core support/fender bolts, where you could see alignment was corrected AFTER paint- no way should that ever be acceptable- especially without touchup around the washers/bolts to reseal moisture out...guaranteed those readjusted trucks that see salt are gonna have issues...at least ford now has 5 yr paint adhesion warranty on F150- but they still must lack the confidence in their paint to apply same warranty to the problematic mustang hoods(now aluminum fenders too). oddly, f150 fender bolts have double washers- assume for galvanic corrosion protection, but mustang still single washers...hmm. one has 5 yr paint warranty and extra galvanic protection, and one has 3/36 without extra measures taken for its aluminum body/steel bolt contact points...coincidence?

Last edited by ford4v429; 12/26/15 at 05:28 PM.