2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Brand new 2016 Mustang GT random misfire please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/15, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand new 2016 Mustang GT random misfire please help!!

Hey guys, so I just bought a 2016 Mustang GT performance package last week and within a couple days having it the CEL turned on. I turned off after a couple minutes so I didn't really think anything of it. Well a couple days ago the CEL started blinking and my mustang went into straight limp mode and I could feel one of the cylinders misfire. I took into Joe Meyer's Ford in Houston, TX where I purchased it from, and they had it for about a day and when I get it back they tell me there's nothing they can do because it was a random misfire (P3000 code) and they don't know where to even start looking for the problem. This is complete bull**** (excuse my language) considering I've had it for not even a week yet, and they won't fix it. They told me to keep driving it until it gets worst and bring it back in again. This is unacceptable, they need to keep it until it's fixed, considering I live an hour away I can't keep driving back with the same problem. Have you guys have any clue as to what's going on with my car?

Last edited by TexasPony; 12/2/15 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12/2/15, 04:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Go to a different dealer.
Old 12/2/15, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Go to a different dealer.
Do you know if other dealers will give you a rental, if you didn't purchase from them?
Old 12/2/15, 05:01 PM
Cobra R Member

They may. Depends how good the service department is.
Old 12/2/15, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
They may. Depends how good the service department is.
Awesome, thank you! Also, I'm new to this forum, have you seen anyone else with the new generation have this problem?
Old 12/2/15, 05:14 PM
Cobra R Member

No, but it did happen to my mother's camaro about a week after she bought it. Code popped up, cleared it and it never came back. My guess is that it's related to the engine being new and either certain components not being 100% worn in or the computer not being 100% adjusted yet, causing the error. If it comes back, start worrying. If it doesn't, forget about it.

If it is only a random misfire, then there really is nothing they can do about it. If they can't recreate it then there's nothing to fix, and if the code doesn't return then there isn't anything wrong with it anyways.
Old 12/2/15, 05:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Talk to Desha on here, she should be able to help you out a bit.

It could be a multitude of things to be honest which makes it hard to diagnose.
Old 12/2/15, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ford20
Talk to Desha on here, she should be able to help you out a bit.

Thanks guys! I talked to the dealer next to my house which has a lot better customer service, and they said they'll keep it until the figure out the problem. The CEL came back on today and started blinking, and this is after the other dealership reset it, so it did come back on unfortunately. Also it's taking a couple cranks for the engine to come on, even when warm. I wonder if this has anything to do with the issue. I'll definitely keep y'all posted
Old 12/2/15, 05:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

It might, could be a weak coil that is causing issues. Good luck with it!

I know that I had a similar thing with my Boss but it was a wiring harness and I would get all sorts of random codes pop up. Chasing misfire issues is no fun believe me.
Old 12/3/15, 12:16 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasPony
Hey guys, so I just bought a 2016 Mustang GT performance package last week and within a couple days having it the CEL turned on. I turned off after a couple minutes so I didn't really think anything of it. Well a couple days ago the CEL started blinking and my mustang went into straight limp mode and I could feel one of the cylinders misfire. I took into Joe Meyer's Ford in Houston, TX where I purchased it from, and they had it for about a day and when I get it back they tell me there's nothing they can do because it was a random misfire (P3000 code) and they don't know where to even start looking for the problem. This is complete bull**** (excuse my language) considering I've had it for not even a week yet, and they won't fix it. They told me to keep driving it until it gets worst and bring it back in again. This is unacceptable, they need to keep it until it's fixed, considering I live an hour away I can't keep driving back with the same problem. Have you guys have any clue as to what's going on with my car?
Hello TexasPony,

Welcome and congrats on your new ‘Stang! My name is Deysha with Ford Service, and I’d like to get this escalated for you. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Talk to Deysha on here, she should be able to help you out a bit.
Thanks for the mention, ford20!

Deysha
Old 12/3/15, 03:31 PM

Well I was driving to dealer this morning to drop my vehicle off and my car totally shut down and I was unable to accelerate. I almost got in an accident with an 18-Wheeler that was behind be when this happened and had to pull over on the highway. Got the car to the dealer later on and they called me a little while ago and said that the car had all cylinders misfire as well as 6 other codes that popped up as well. Not a good day what so ever
Old 12/3/15, 03:59 PM
Cobra R Member

It's under warranty.... Relax, it's probably an issue with the wiring harness. It'd be a bad day if you had to pay for all that.
Old 12/3/15, 04:18 PM

Oh I'm not stressing, it just gets a little frustrating considering I just bought it last week. I'm sure you'd be just as flustered if within a week after you purchased your Stang it was malfunctioning to where you couldn't drive it. I appreciate all the help and advice though!
Old 12/3/15, 05:09 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having issues. Never like buying something and then it starts having trouble. If the dealer is worth anything they will get this solved. Just one of the joys of buying something that is a new design and just introduced. They will get the kinks worked out. Keep us updated.
Old 12/3/15, 06:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Oh I'm not stressing, it just gets a little frustrating considering I just bought it last week. I'm sure you'd be just as flustered if within a week after you purchased your Stang it was malfunctioning to where you couldn't drive it. I appreciate all the help and advice though!
I know that feeling. Like I said, I was fighting misfire issues along with camshaft position sensor codes, and other codes for about 8 months and then my engine blew. At least I didn't have to worry about misfire codes any more. That was about a year and 4 months ago and still no engine
Old 12/4/15, 08:38 AM

Sounds like I'm having the same problems as you. They said that along with the cylinders misfiring the camshaft was sending error codes as well. I'm pretty sure the camshaft problems are related to the misfires. I'm supposed to pick it up this morning, they told me they did a system software update as well as a "cylinder relearn" whatever that means exactly. Not familiar with technology in cars these days. I guess it has to do with reseting the computer, for the car to relearn the cylinder firing order, to be in line with the software update. We'll see if it works. If the problem reoccurs, I'll probably just ask for them to replace it, considering it's my only vehicle and I can't afford to keep getting rentals since ford doesn't cover rentals in their warranty.

Last edited by TexasPony; 12/4/15 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12/4/15, 10:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

On the early production Boss car it was a wiring harness that was causing all of the issues and even on later production cars the wiring harness will go bad after something like 48 hours of track use. I'm sure that Ford has rectified that issue. That sounds a lot like the crankshaft position sensor relearn that we have where it relearns the position of the crankshaft in relation to the evens of the motor. If you keep at it you should be able to eligible for the Lemon Law. I'm sure Ford is curious about the issue and is communicating with the dealer trying to figure out a solution though.
Old 12/5/15, 06:27 PM

I know that feeling. Like I said, I was fighting misfire issues along with camshaft position sensor codes, and other codes for about 8 months and then my engine blew. At least I didn't have to worry about misfire codes any more. That was about a year and 4 months ago and still no engine
On the early production Boss car it was a wiring harness that was causing all of the issues and even on later production cars the wiring harness will go bad after something like 48 hours of track use. I'm sure that Ford has rectified that issue. That sounds a lot like the crankshaft position sensor relearn that we have where it relearns the position of the crankshaft in relation to the evens of the motor. If you keep at it you should be able to eligible for the Lemon Law. I'm sure Ford is curious about the issue and is communicating with the dealer trying to figure out a solution though.
Yeah, I just got an attorney and we're going to be pursing either a replacement or buyback. Look I love Ford, it's really all I've ever owned, and I do understand out of the thousands of vehicles they pump out a year, there's going to be some bad one's. My whole concern is with this many problems the car is having and it hasn't even hit 850 miles yet, I don't want the car repaired and handed back to me, I want it replaced. Considering the check engine light came on the day I drove it off the lot, brings me to believe that I was sold a faulty vehicle. I babied it the whole time I've owned it, knowing that with new engines you need to break it in a little, so I'm 100% sure that it was not due to neglect on my end. This was my 3rd trip to the dealer for repairs, I've only driven it 6 out of the 10 days I've owned it, the rest has been in the shop. I guess my whole argument is, that when I buy something that is $40,000 and it has problems from the day I bought it, I don't just want to be told oh it's fixed, and go about my day. With such a big investment, I would like to know the product I just purchased is up to par. I'm just explaining to the people that think I 'need to relax" my concerns, and to know that I'm actually keeping my calm throughout this whole process, but I am going to be exploring my options in to what can be done, because like I said, I don't want that specific car back.

Last edited by TexasPony; 12/5/15 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12/5/15, 06:42 PM
Cobra R Member

It's been in the shop once... Don't be paying an attorney anything yet. Lemon Laws typically dictate a certain number of days in the shop for the same problem, and having that problem not be fixed. It's VERY early for any of that.
Old 12/6/15, 08:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I just got an attorney and we're going to be pursing either a replacement or buyback. Look I love Ford, it's really all I've ever owned, and I do understand out of the thousands of vehicles they pump out a year, there's going to be some bad one's. My whole concern is with this many problems the car is having and it hasn't even hit 850 miles yet, I don't want the car repaired and handed back to me, I want it replaced. Considering the check engine light came on the day I drove it off the lot, brings me to believe that I was sold a faulty vehicle. I babied it the whole time I've owned it, knowing that with new engines you need to break it in a little, so I'm 100% sure that it was not due to neglect on my end. This was my 3rd trip to the dealer for repairs, I've only driven it 6 out of the 10 days I've owned it, the rest has been in the shop. I guess my whole argument is, that when I buy something that is $40,000 and it has problems from the day I bought it, I don't just want to be told oh it's fixed, and go about my day. With such a big investment, I would like to know the product I just purchased is up to par. I'm just explaining to the people that think I 'need to relax" my concerns, and to know that I'm actually keeping my calm throughout this whole process, but I am going to be exploring my options in to what can be done, because like I said, I don't want that specific car back.
Have you spoken with the owner of the dealership? We had a 1990 Eagle Talon AWD/Turbo, which had acid rain spots all over it. I noticed them the morning after picking up the car and returned to the dealership. The owner looked at it and had it assessed by a detail shop who recommend repainting the car. I told them no deal , it was new car and I wanted a new car not a repainted new car. The owner agreed, and told us to drive it for the weekend and he would find another for us, same color and options. On Monday he told me he found one in Denver and was having it trucked in. It did have a CD player which ours did not ($230 option). He said it was on him for our trouble. Three days later we swapped keys and received the new paperwork and drove home. We have purchased at least 12 cars and Jeeps since then. a happy customer is a customer for life. In fact my wife is driving a 2015 Jeep from them. Sorry for the Long post, but I hope you can make a similar deal. It never hurts to talk to them.

Quick Reply: Brand new 2016 Mustang GT random misfire please help!!