General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

2014 Chevrolet SS teased in Holden VF Commodore photos

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/13, 01:45 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Look people it's kind of a north south young old thing.

If I had a station wagon my wife would drive it. I don't care how cool it is its a wagon. A kid hauler. SUVs were the modern equivalent. The wife has one and I drive it when I'm driving the whole family around. I wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan nor would my wife.

She'd love a wagon when some of these kids move away but then again later when most of them move away she's gonna want a sporty full size sedan.

When I was in school before the whole SUV thing the country club moms all drove Volvo and Merc wagons. It's a chick car. A MILF car if you will. Around here nobody drives wagons. We drive trucks and the women drive SUVs. Not all of course but a lot do. We also have more than one kid and we do things that require hauling lots of **** around too.

So I've kind of forgotten my point here. Oh yeah.

Minivans suck.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 2/20/13 at 01:46 PM.
Old 2/20/13, 02:02 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Look people it's kind of a north south young old thing.

If I had a station wagon my wife would drive it. I don't care how cool it is its a wagon. A kid hauler. SUVs were the modern equivalent. The wife has one and I drive it when I'm driving the whole family around. I wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan nor would my wife.

She'd love a wagon when some of these kids move away but then again later when most of them move away she's gonna want a sporty full size sedan.

When I was in school before the whole SUV thing the country club moms all drove Volvo and Merc wagons. It's a chick car. A MILF car if you will. Around here nobody drives wagons. We drive trucks and the women drive SUVs. Not all of course but a lot do. We also have more than one kid and we do things that require hauling lots of **** around too.

So I've kind of forgotten my point here. Oh yeah.

Young Northerners suck.
Fixed.
But that's pretty much spot on Gary. I may buy the wife a Chevy SS but the suburban isn't going anywhere. Run out of parking, build another driveway.
Old 2/20/13, 03:14 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
:yawn:
Old 2/21/13, 02:37 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand why the chev gets auto only; the HSVs, that will have the same driveline, get manual.
HSV's GTS will practically get ZL1's driveline, including LSA.

For those that are interested Falcon will get a major facelift in 14. It will have a similar corporate look to
Fusion. No word on whether this 14 Falcon will get LHD. Highly unlikely.

But there is good news re large rwd Ford sedans in the US....................... I can't say more than that but know there's light at the end of z tunnel. The bad news is if '14 Falcon isn't LHD then you may be waiting til the next cycle.

Export from Australia is not good with our high dollar (US$1.03). As an example this spec SS would be over $65k in Au, and you're getting it for how much???
Old 2/21/13, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Falc'man
I don't understand why the chev gets auto only; the HSVs, that will have the same driveline, get manual.
HSV's GTS will practically get ZL1's driveline, including LSA.

For those that are interested Falcon will get a major facelift in 14. It will have a similar corporate look to
Fusion. No word on whether this 14 Falcon will get LHD. Highly unlikely.

But there is good news re large rwd Ford sedans in the US....................... I can't say more than that but know there's light at the end of z tunnel. The bad news is if '14 Falcon isn't LHD then you may be waiting til the next cycle.

Export from Australia is not good with our high dollar (US$1.03). As an example this spec SS would be over $65k in Au, and you're getting it for how much???
Well like I said before, GM has a well performing automatic transmission. In most tests and a majority of amateur racing, the GM auto seems always a better performer. Of course there are a lot of purists who believe they can outperform the auto all by their superior driving skills but I truly doubt it. The fact that this is a mustang site makes people here doubtful about the performance of an auto, since auto mustangs have always been turds. If Ford made an equivalent to the 700R4 or the 4L60E then you would probably see a lot more mustang auto lovers. The old AOD was a better ship anchor than a trans unless heavily built.
Old 2/21/13, 07:26 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Well like I said before, GM has a well performing automatic transmission. In most tests and a majority of amateur racing, the GM auto seems always a better performer. Of course there are a lot of purists who believe they can outperform the auto all by their superior driving skills but I truly doubt it. The fact that this is a mustang site makes people here doubtful about the performance of an auto, since auto mustangs have always been turds. If Ford made an equivalent to the 700R4 or the 4L60E then you would probably see a lot more mustang auto lovers. The old AOD was a better ship anchor than a trans unless heavily built.
Its not all about performance. I like manual transmission because I have more control over the car with it. I can actually choose which gear to use instead of the computer trying to do it for me (and usually gets it wrong).
I can drive my Mustang during any snow-storm because of the manual transmission and its actually easier to drive in the snow than the FWD Fusion automatic.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 2/21/13 at 07:28 AM.
Old 2/21/13, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Zastava_101
By the way, here is Holden Calais V Sportwagon, which is pretty much Chevy SS wagon.

Nice! While this is more in cruiser trim than battle-wagon attire (though I think the front end forms are better), add the SS decor and firepower and sign me up. Oh, that and a stick to wriggle.

Heck, keep this trim but sneak in the SS mechanicals underneath and you'd have the perfect Q-ship. You could blow through a speed trap at 120mph, sideways, and the cops would even notice.

If Chevy really wants to be a bold stereotype breaker/iconoclast, stick the supercharged motor and associated speed bits from the Camaro ZL-1 to really but some shocked faces and any number of Boss, Camaro SS, M3, and any number of other performance car owners. A low 12-second, 120mph grocery-getter would be the ultimate incongruity.

Last edited by rhumb; 2/21/13 at 11:20 AM.
Old 2/21/13, 02:26 PM

Its not all about performance. I like manual transmission because I have more control over the car with it. I can actually choose which gear to use instead of the computer trying to do it for me (and usually gets it wrong).
I can drive my Mustang during any snow-storm because of the manual transmission and its actually easier to drive in the snow than the FWD Fusion automatic.
But this won't be a snow storm type vehicle. In fact, it probably won't sell well up north at all. It may turn a few BMW owners simply because its an affordable V8 sedan but its probably not a logical car up north. In the south there has been a big need(want) for another car like this. I'm sure the whole NASCAR thing will help also.
GM also has always had to keep their performance cars in order. The SS will NOT outperform the Corvette, Camaro, CTSV. Just like the Camaro will never trump the Vette. That's one thing that Ford does right. There's a mustang for every competitor. GM is really big on their flagship vehicles. I wouldn't doubt if there is a manual trimmed out SS in the future once all the numbers have come in and the initial dust settles. But I'm still gonna say the auto with paddles will outperform a manual option.
Old 2/21/13, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by rhumb
Nice! While this is more in cruiser trim than battle-wagon attire (though I think the front end forms are better), add the SS decor and firepower and sign me up. Oh, that and a stick to wriggle.

Heck, keep this trim but sneak in the SS mechanicals underneath and you'd have the perfect Q-ship. You could blow through a speed trap at 120mph, sideways, and the cops would even notice.

If Chevy really wants to be a bold stereotype breaker/iconoclast, stick the supercharged motor and associated speed bits from the Camaro ZL-1 to really but some shocked faces and any number of Boss, Camaro SS, M3, and any number of other performance car owners. A low 12-second, 120mph grocery-getter would be the ultimate incongruity.
End of the day, its still a station wagon. And you're still "that guy" with a performance station wagon. No sir, you are not cool in that thing. Right next to a tricked out turbo minivan.
Old 2/21/13, 02:36 PM
Post *****

End of the day, its still a station wagon. And you're still "that guy" with a performance station wagon. No sir, you are not cool in that thing. Right next to a tricked out turbo minivan.
No different than 'Verts right?! Wannabe roadsters and stuff?!
Old 2/21/13, 02:38 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri

Everyone knows verts are chick cars!
Old 2/21/13, 02:44 PM

Nah. I prefer the profile of the vert when the top is up. And all 4 windows roll down. I'm still not a vert fan even though I own one. But my kids love to cruise with the top down and that's pretty much the only time I drop it. Being "that guy" cruising solo with the top down keeps mine up usually.
Old 2/21/13, 02:45 PM
Post *****

Being "that guy" cruising solo with the top down keeps mine up usually.
Old 2/21/13, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Figured you would like that.
Old 2/21/13, 02:52 PM
Post *****

Being "that guy" cruising solo with the top down keeps mine up usually.
Old 2/21/13, 02:59 PM

It's amazing how the flip of a switch can can turn a BMFer into a douchebag chariot.
Old 2/21/13, 03:04 PM
Post *****

It's amazing how the flip of a switch can can turn a BMFer into a douchebag chariot.
Bah . . . As Gary has stated in past posts . . . Drive what you like f*** everyone else! (Says the guy with a bright orange/black Mustang!)
Old 2/21/13, 03:12 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Well, at the end of the day, the SS is still a Chevy ... or Holden. Nothing cool there either.
Old 2/21/13, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I dont know, but the headlights on this car are ruining the whole car for me, much a small thing but it makes a big difference.
Old 2/21/13, 06:48 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, at the end of the day, the SS is still a Chevy ... or Holden. Nothing cool there either.

Quick Reply: 2014 Chevrolet SS teased in Holden VF Commodore photos