General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

2014 Chevrolet SS teased in Holden VF Commodore photos

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/13, 08:29 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight

I Disagree!

I think a manual should be had in every car! A nice sport sedan with a proper manual is

I don't see how 2 less doors somehow makes a manual different. You don't notice how many doors you have when you are properly hitting your shifts and rev matching downshifts.
1: Please quit saying proper. In fact, quit watching Top Gear all together. 3 stupid Brittish ***** who for some reason believe they know what is "proper". Yes I find them entertaining but I have more faith in Obama's promises.

2: Clutching sucks! Stop and go or daily commute. Plus the fact that a heavy performance sedan will kill a clutch. It's just unnecessary when there is a "proper" paddle shift system. It's just not practical or comfortable. Next thing you're gonna ask for is a V8 manual sport wagon. Europe sucks.
Especially the Brittish.

Last edited by Boomer; 2/19/13 at 07:28 AM.
Old 2/18/13, 08:32 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra

1: Please quit saying proper. In fact, quit watching Top Gear all together. 3 stupid **** ******** who for some reason believe they know what is "proper". Yes I find them entertaining but I have more faith in Obama's promises.

2: Clutching sucks! Stop and go or daily commute. Plus the fact that a heavy performance sedan will kill a clutch. It's just unnecessary when there is a "proper" paddle shift system. It's just not practical or comfortable. Next thing you're gonna ask for is a V8 manual sport wagon. Europe sucks.
Especially the Brittish.
'merica

Last edited by Boomer; 2/19/13 at 07:28 AM.
Old 2/18/13, 08:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1: Please quit saying proper. In fact, quit watching Top Gear all together. 3 stupid Brittish *** who for some reason believe they know what is "proper". Yes I find them entertaining but I have more faith in Obama's promises.

Especially the Brittish.
*British

Last edited by Boomer; 2/19/13 at 07:29 AM.
Old 2/18/13, 08:39 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by shurtual86

*British
Old 2/18/13, 08:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like having the option of a powerful RWD full size sedan. I really wish Ford would join Chrysler and GM in this. I like the car but I'd personally rather have the Charger for a couple reasons. For one I think the Charger is more attractive it seems more stylish and not as bland looking. Two Chargers seem to always be on sale I doubt anyone pays MSRP for them...ever! The SS on the other hand is said to be limited production so I doubt they will have any significant discounts.

Overall I bet the SS will outperform the Charger R/T as the G8 did but for me the likely higher price and lack of an AWD option will probably keep me away. I know a lot of fan boys here would rather have a SHO and it probably will perform just as well but I love the classic V8 sedan. If Ford makes something comparable they may be able to save Lincoln.
Old 2/18/13, 10:37 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see how you can argue against a manual in a sedan by saying it's impractical. A V8 RWD sedan by nature is already impractical. Which is the main reason FoMoCo doesn't have one.

Fun? Yes. Practical? No.

I'd rather see them invest in a vette fighter when it comes to spending niche vehicle R&D $$
Old 2/18/13, 11:49 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
I Disagree!

I think a manual should be had in every car! A nice sport sedan with a proper manual is

I don't see how 2 less doors somehow makes a manual different. You don't notice how many doors you have when you are properly hitting your shifts and rev matching downshifts.
Hell, the CTS-V wagon comes with a manual and I think that's cool as ****.
Old 2/19/13, 12:06 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here they gripe about an auto sedan...
but no bytch about the F150 only coming in auto.
Old 2/19/13, 12:18 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by cdynaco
The F150 only comes in auto now?

Old 2/19/13, 12:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please, Ford! Stop making me think about a Chevy. I feel dirty! Oh yeah, manual transmission for life!
Old 2/19/13, 07:35 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1: Please quit saying proper. In fact, quit watching Top Gear all together. 3 stupid Brittish ******** who for some reason believe they know what is "proper". Yes I find them entertaining but I have more faith in Obama's promises.

Especially the Brittish.
How else would you describe a manual shift with a stick rather than paddle shifter other than proper?

Clutching doesn't suck, most of my daily drivers have been with a clutch and have no qualms of stop and go traffic with it. In bumper to bumper you just hand back a bit and let the clutch out and let the car idle. I'm not the idiot tailgating someone when there's no where to go.

I enjoy the work of a clutch, I like being engaged in my driving. Obviously they make manual V8 sedans for people like me not you.

I do love that CTS V wagon!
Old 2/19/13, 08:10 AM

Why would you want a manual in a big 4dr car? If the paddle shifters work ok, why the hell would you want to clutch a car like this? It's not a sports car. It's a powerful rwd sedan. There's no way in hell I would buy a manual sedan. It just seems stupid to me.
It may seem stupid to you, but the Audi rs4, and Cadillac ctsv absolutely disagree with you. This is a powerful v8 sports car with 4 doors, a manual option would be perfect. The g8 Gxp also had a manual offering, and it was a bad *** right.

When it comes to fun cars, or anything fast, a manual should be a standard option as if is by far the most fun and keeps the driver the most involved
Old 2/19/13, 08:13 AM

1: Please quit saying proper. In fact, quit watching Top Gear all together. 3 stupid Brittish ***** who for some reason believe they know what is "proper". Yes I find them entertaining but I have more faith in Obama's promises.

Especially the Brittish.
What? See the above response...this statement makes no sense. Do you not dd your mustang? I do and I am in dc area traffic...it's still much better then an auto in all areas but bracket racing and is much more fun.
Old 2/19/13, 08:52 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
That's a good point. No manual in the F350 either?

It's a Chevy guys. The auto will perform better. It always has. A manual option would be so a younger crowd would buy a family car. And a manual wagon? Really? So you can jerk the baby's head back and forth as you shift. Because if you're driving a wagon you better have kids for an excuse. Station wagons are not cool.
Old 2/19/13, 10:22 AM
Cobra R Member

This reminds me of my whole awd option on the mustang discussion. I don't see why people would rather not have choice. If you don't want a manual transmission buy an automatic. Why do some people here try to act like auto executives and dismiss the option. I personally wouldn't want a stick but wouldn't be opposed to the option. Keep in mind even Honda offers a stick shift in the accord sedan, why not the V8, rwd SS?
Old 2/19/13, 10:34 AM

Next thing you're gonna ask for is a V8 manual sport wagon.
Yeah, how crazy is that...

Just crazy enough, YEEEEHAWWWW!

Boy, an SS with a wriggle stick, DAYUMMM, how awesome would THAT be! My 15-month old boy would never be satisfied with playground thrills ever again.

While the stick isn't offered now, I think that option may well be open as the mechanically identical G8 GXP offered it.

Sure, a slushbox makes more practical sense, as would a turbo-four, mileage master tires, vinyl seats and a 65mph speed limiter. But shoot fire, where's it written that some family dude with spawn to lug about has to resign themselves to automotive drudgery? Does having a kid and lots more stuff to haul about automatically mean I should box up my nads and buy a minivan lest I seem somehow inappropriate?

Why would I be any less excited about shifting my own gears in a 415hp SS sedan or wagon than I would a 400+hp Stang? Excessive clutch wear? Not if fitted with a sufficiently beefy clutch (as would be true with ANY car) and driven with more skill than a driver's ed student. Hassle in traffic? No more or less than any other stick shift. Unseamly for a big family sedan? Let me check my etiquette guide to be sure, but in my book, heck yeah and all the better for it!

If I were counseling Chevy, I'd say not only a stick shift option for all those family men, and women, who haven't simply given up on excitement and resigned themselves to automotive somnolence, but also bring over the wagon and El Camino versions like, right now.

Americans are so schizophrenic about vehicles in so many ways, especially regarding wagons: "I'd never buy a big, fat, slow, clumsy family wagon, so instead, I'll buy a far bigger, fatter, slower and clumsier SUV that makes even less sense, costs more and will gladden every Saudi princeling with their gluttonous fuel needs to try to push all that deadweight." A fat pig of an SUV over a performance wagon that's the performance equal of its sedan version -- just doesn't make sense to me for a performance enthusiast.

Last edited by rhumb; 2/19/13 at 10:37 AM.
Old 2/19/13, 10:53 AM

As for the SS in general, AWESOME!!!!

Yeah, I might have a few styling and other nits to pick, but they're just that, small nits and it’s great to have an American (Aussies are close enough) V8 RWD performance sedan.

The nits:

A few styling elements are a touch fussy and clumsy in detail, mostly the front facia and a bit in the rear -- nothing horrible, just a few elements I might have cleaned up and resolved a bit more coherently. It’s overall proportions, stance and look are spot on for a modern performance sedan. While I think the previous G8 was a bit nicer yet, this is still a great looking car overall.

Too “bland?” Perhaps to someone who equates a lot of styling – scoops, spoilers, ducts, wings, stripes, etc. – with good design rather than appreciating well drawn, balanced and proportioned basic form and line, as this car has. Of course, should one insist on a rolling clownshow of a performance car, there’s always the J.C. Whitney catalog to fall back on. Myself, I appreciate the clean, refined, understated yet athletic and dynamic underlying design that’s devoid of the all-too-typical pubescent performance tack ons.

No stick, but hopefully that will be in the pipeline.

No wagon. Yet??? Same goes for an El Camino ute version. I think they're still making those versions Down Under, so hopefully should this be well received; Chevy will have the nads to bring those over too in full performance regalia.

So, Ford, yeah, the SVO was, well, kind of nice enough, sort of, how about some neo Galaxy 500 built off of the 2015 platform to compete?
Old 2/19/13, 11:03 AM

It's a Chevy guys. The auto will perform better. It always has.
Maybe, maybe not, but you'd need a well calibrated stop watch to actually tell.

A manual option would be so a younger crowd would buy a family car.
Yes, and also for older performance buffs in a family way who aren't ready to put their nads into cold storage simply because they have some kids to shuttle about. Why wouldn’t I, as a dad, want to tool around in the hottest car, even while shuttling junior about? Why does it have to such an either/or scenario rather than having a vehicle that can both haul and haul azz at the same time?

And a manual wagon? Really? So you can jerk the baby's head back and forth as you shift.
Well, if you drive a manual so badly that you'll give junior whiplash, then yes, perhaps a nice safe slushbox like Aunt Mabel drives in her Buick La Barge would be a better choice. Myself, I can drive a stick with creamy smoothness when daily driving.

Because if you're driving a wagon you better have kids for an excuse. Station wagons are not cool.
Yeah, like wheezing minvans and wallowing bloated SUVs are cool? I find a wagon with the performance stats of its sister hot sedan to be far cooler than some rolling bread box or SUV behemoth.

Old 2/19/13, 12:26 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by rhumb
If I were counseling Chevy, I'd say not only a stick shift option for all those family men, and women, who haven't simply given up on excitement and resigned themselves to automotive somnolence,
But that's the truth of the matter. When guys and gals become "family men and women" their life is over. Done. Kaput.

Old 2/19/13, 12:27 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by rhumb
Maybe, maybe not, but you'd need a well calibrated stop watch to actually tell.
If you're referring to qtr mile racing, the 08 Challenger (only came in auto) pretty well proved that. So consistent off the line.

Quick Reply: 2014 Chevrolet SS teased in Holden VF Commodore photos