General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

2014 Chevrolet SS teased in Holden VF Commodore photos

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/13, 12:58 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

If you're referring to qtr mile racing, the 08 Challenger (only came in auto) pretty well proved that. So consistent off the line.
I've had many GM cars. Worked on them for many years. The automatic option is just faster. GM builds a better trans than you can shift yourself. If the tap shift does what it is supposed to do, there's no way or reason someone would want the manual. Unless you just like clutching and going slower. Really if I could get a Ferrari auto tap shift trans in the cobra, I would do it in a heartbeat. I find no joy in clutching and shifting. I want to select the gear I want and never let up on the go pedal. If ford would only build an auto that doesn't make the car slower. From what I understand, Ford's auto trans is slowly getting better though. Going fast is fun for me. Shifting sucks.
Old 2/19/13, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by rhumb
Maybe, maybe not, but you'd need a well calibrated stop watch to actually tell.

A manual option would be so a younger crowd would buy a family car.
Yes, and also for older performance buffs in a family way who aren't ready to put their nads into cold storage simply because they have some kids to shuttle about. Why wouldn’t I, as a dad, want to tool around in the hottest car, even while shuttling junior about? Why does it have to such an either/or scenario rather than having a vehicle that can both haul and haul azz at the same time?

And a manual wagon? Really? So you can jerk the baby's head back and forth as you shift. [/quote]Well, if you drive a manual so badly that you'll give junior whiplash, then yes, perhaps a nice safe slushbox like Aunt Mabel drives in her Buick La Barge would be a better choice. Myself, I can drive a stick with creamy smoothness when daily driving.

Because if you're driving a wagon you better have kids for an excuse. Station wagons are not cool. [/quote]Yeah, like wheezing minvans and wallowing bloated SUVs are cool? I find a wagon with the performance stats of its sister hot sedan to be far cooler than some rolling bread box or SUV behemoth.

[/QUOTE]

Whatever all these responses mean, we're gonna have to agree to disagree. Station wagon is a station wagon. Cool them up all you want, you still suck in a wagon. I'm a fan of the big SUV's. Big safe sturdy powerful roomy. Not quite as convenient as a minivan if you have kids but, you also suck if you're driving a minivan.
Creamy smooth shifting means you're going slow. Buy a Camry.
Old 2/19/13, 01:39 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Ahhh . . . .the internet and different opinions . . . love it . . .

Old 2/19/13, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But that's the truth of the matter. When guys and gals become "family men and women" their life is over. Done. Kaput.

Some of us are fighting that desparately, perhaps futily. Being able to fold in high performance with high practicality would help slide such purchase past discerning wife trying to enforce male domestication.
Old 2/19/13, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Whatever all these responses mean, we're gonna have to agree to disagree. Station wagon is a station wagon. Cool them up all you want, you still suck in a wagon. I'm a fan of the big SUV's. Big safe sturdy powerful roomy. Not quite as convenient as a minivan if you have kids but, you also suck if you're driving a minivan.
Perhaps, but I still see a high performace sedan and wagon (essential identical, performance-wise, to the sedan its based on) as a much sportier option than a big fat, SUV that weighs a 1/2 ton more and has a CG up around shoulder height. Whatever HP the SUV is packing, the sedan/wagon will be considerably faster yet given it isn't dragging around that 1/2 ton of deadweight.

Big safe and sturdy, yes, but that also describes my house. A big sedan would certainly have enough room for me -- only one spawn -- and a wagon's extra space would be icing on the cake.

Any modern sedan is extremely safe and sturdy these days. In fact, SUV's aren't all that great in many safety measures because what they gain in secondary safety -- post-crash survival -- by sheer size and mass, they loose out by significantly worse in the more important aspect of primary safety --avoiding an accident in the first place -- i.e., they bumble into more accidents in the first place.

As for smooth shifts, not necessarily, I pride myself on being able to shift both smoothly and quickly, having practiced since about 8 years old (if you count farm tractors). Any monkey can do one OR the other, it takes real practice and finesse to pull off both.

As for Camry, nads have not fallen off yet.

In any case, I'm glad that Chevy is offering a hi-po RWD V8 sedan that is relatively affordable for a working stiff as an option to the now ubiquitous SUV -- only hope Ford steps to the plate too as they have similar vehicles down under too.
Old 2/19/13, 02:55 PM
Cobra Member

I question whether Ford has something in the works or not. Or are they waiting to see how the SS plays out. For years they've said the demand simply isn't here in the US for cars like this. Perhaps if Ford see's it doing well, they'll jump on the bandwagon.

But typically a reactive approach isn't the best in business.

If they haven't reacted to the Charger yet, though. I doubt they'd jump on this.
Old 2/19/13, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
I question whether Ford has something in the works or not. Or are they waiting to see how the SS plays out. For years they've said the demand simply isn't here in the US for cars like this. Perhaps if Ford see's it doing well, they'll jump on the bandwagon.

If they haven't reacted to the Charger yet, though. I doubt they'd jump on this.
Well our police force here is still using Crown Vics. Some chargers here and there. Wondering how many of these cars will be used for law enforcement. Government contracts might be enough alone for these cars to succeed.
Old 2/19/13, 04:06 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Well our police force here is still using Crown Vics. Some chargers here and there. Wondering how many of these cars will be used for law enforcement. Government contracts might be enough alone for these cars to succeed.
Haven't they been been selling the police version for a year or so already (Caprice) ? Or is that a different vehicle from this one? I saw about 5 of them at a Chevy dealer early last year.

http://www.gmfleet.com/police/chevy-...atrol-car.html
Old 2/19/13, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau

Probably true, though if Ford isn't doing one-model/market chassis any more, what spin-offs of the 2015 Mustang chassis await? I could readily see some desperately needed Lincoln coupe and/or sedan to compete with Caddy and the foreign upmarket brands, so perhaps a more affordable Ford (Galaxy?) spin-off wouldn't be too far fetched.

Would be great for those of us in a family way who would love to enjoy an affordable hi-po RWD sedan while meeting those hauling needs too. Ford has or will have all the bits and pieces necessary, here's to hoping they pull the trigger.
Old 2/19/13, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

Haven't they been been selling the police version for a year or so already (Caprice) ? Or is that a different vehicle from this one? I saw about 5 of them at a Chevy dealer early last year.

http://www.gmfleet.com/police/chevy-...atrol-car.html
I've never seen them before. Wonder why there isn't a V8 in them.
Old 2/19/13, 04:35 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
I've never seen them before. Wonder why there isn't a V8 in them.
There is, scroll down to the option list. 6.0L
Old 2/19/13, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

There is, scroll down to the option list. 6.0L
SAWEEEET!!! Can't wait for the police auctions.
The Holden Caprice is actually a much cooler car.
Old 2/19/13, 06:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Probably true, though if Ford isn't doing one-model/market chassis any more, what spin-offs of the 2015 Mustang chassis await? I could readily see some desperately needed Lincoln coupe and/or sedan to compete with Caddy and the foreign upmarket brands, so perhaps a more affordable Ford (Galaxy?) spin-off wouldn't be too far fetched.

Would be great for those of us in a family way who would love to enjoy an affordable hi-po RWD sedan while meeting those hauling needs too. Ford has or will have all the bits and pieces necessary, here's to hoping they pull the trigger.
You are spot on. I went to an auto show earlier this month and I liked every Cadillac over the Lincoln competitor.
Old 2/20/13, 07:51 AM

Likewise. While I really liked the new Lincoln Mark Something-or-Another's interior, the outside was nice but a bit "meh" while the chassis/drivetrain were "MEH," certainly as compared with what most of the Caddies are running on. All very competent, just not terribly compelling, which is what Lincoln desperately needs.
Old 2/20/13, 10:09 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Station wagon is a station wagon. Cool them up all you want, you still suck in a wagon. I'm a fan of the big SUV's. Big safe sturdy powerful roomy. Not quite as convenient as a minivan if you have kids but, you also suck if you're driving a minivan.
So station wagons and minivans are uncool, Camry is slow, but big SUVs are cool and fast?
Old 2/20/13, 10:14 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

By the way, here is Holden Calais V Sportwagon, which is pretty much Chevy SS wagon.

Old 2/20/13, 12:26 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Gross
Old 2/20/13, 01:19 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
Gross
Hey - just throw a stick shift in there and then its cool!

Old 2/20/13, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Zastava_101

So station wagons and minivans are uncool, Camry is slow, but big SUVs are cool and fast?
Nope. But big SUV's will jump a curb, pass through high water, and pull a big trailer. All with the family being safe and comfortable inside. And will totally crush a Camry in a collision.
Old 2/20/13, 01:39 PM

Hey - just throw a stick shift in there and then its cool!

Sounds like the general consensus. Now it's a sport wagon.

Quick Reply: 2014 Chevrolet SS teased in Holden VF Commodore photos