2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What is wrong with these kids today?

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/05, 10:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These folks that put on the loud exhaust (but don't put on an intake or a bigger exhaust pipe) are the same ones who put on new shoes and thought it made them run faster.

I respect some "import" cars who come from the factory ready to go, it's the civic, corolla, etc who put on a paint job and coffee can exhaust and think their car is bad that get on my nerves. Much respect to the Evo and WRX.
Old 2/27/05, 10:18 AM
FR500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by mustangfun101@February 27, 2005, 11:14 AM
These kids that put on the loud exhaust (but don't put on an intake or a bigger exhaust pipe) are the same ones who put on new shoes and thought it made them run faster.

I respect some "import" cars who come from the factory ready to go, it's the civic, corolla, etc who put on a paint job and coffee can exhaust and think their car is bad that get on my nerves. Much respect to the Evo and WRX.....but I'd never buy one.
Yea those guys are just there to "fit in" so they look cool...but it doesnt do anything...yea im quite fet up of civics and corollas too but again its not my money so i dont care :stubborn:

As for the Evo and WRX...Evo all the way
Old 2/27/05, 10:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Jessica, I believe a fast car is a fast car no matter who is driving. My friend Angels car is plenty fast and some guys would be in a world of hurt if they tried to run against her. See attached picture of her car.

One fast car
Old 2/27/05, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

All I know is my friends and I ALWAYS make fun of kids our age trying to trick out their cars. Some little Japanese import car from like 1995 will drive by with a HUGE wing on the back and a 6 inch fart can on the back and we'll fall down laughing. It gives teenagers a bad name. We as teens have to accept we have no money, and we're gonna be the ones driving most of the pooty small cars out there.

I'm lucky, I saved up for a long time for my Mustang and I feel no need to trick it out at this point in time, seeing I have no money to do so. At some point in the future I'd like to put bigger wheels on, nice rims, and maybe supercharge it ... but thats a LOOONG time from now.
Old 2/27/05, 10:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The great part is no 95 civic, sentra, corolla, etc will touch you now even with nitrous. I couldn't imagine what would happen if you supercharged it. You are one of the few smart ones. I do see alot of younger people realizing the used 5.0 or 4.6 Mustang is a good bang for the buck buy compared to the Honda, Nissan, and Toyota. Good job on your part. Your car will dust mine......until I get my supercharger.
Old 2/27/05, 10:54 AM
GT Member

Just humour them. I do the same thing sometimes in my '85 Caprice, with its big honkin' 205 with 165hp...trust me, it's slow. I've "raced" a few fast cars, usually with my friend with me, and everyone involved is cracking up laughing.

I pull up next to them, rev, then put it in drive and brake torque it before launch...on my softly sprung ride, the entire car raises about 3" on the left side. I know I'll get killed, but I love seeing a modded Cobra or something haul off at full tilt, its haunches raising up with every upshift. It's truly something to see.

Sometimes I even win, if it's something like a Corolla or Saturn L-Series. Or if I'm at the head of a line at a traffic light, and someone pulls up next to me, hoping to pass me before their lane ends in a few hundred feet, I really make them work for it. I probably shouldn't do that, but they're being morons...just pull in behind me.

I can't wait to get a new car, so I can use the Caprice to learn engine repair on. I'm hoping to change out the carb, cams, and intake just to mess around. That'll be a fun sleeper if I get it fast enough.

PS: If the people in the other car trying to "race" aren't joking around, though, then it's different.
Old 2/27/05, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not all imports are "rice," and on the flip side, there can be "riced out" domestics. We've all seen the V6 mustangs with clear tail lights, triple stack wings, chrome rims that stick out 4 inches, etc...

That said, here's a hilarious site for your viewing pleasure (go to the galleries):

http://www.laughatrice.com/

Old 2/27/05, 12:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think a lot of people don't understand the word import. Now you can call a car an import based on where it is physically made or based on what company makes the vehicle. For example, is a Pontiac GTO an import? It is an American car company but they are made in Australia. Conversely, how about a Toyota Tundra, a foreign car company but made in the United States. Also keep in mind that Ferrari Enzo, Lamborghini Diablo, Porsche 911, those are all imports and a Mustang can't touch any of them and they all post sub 4 second 0-60 times and are in the 11's on the qtr mile.
Old 2/27/05, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think some of you are also confused on what is a tuner car. Tuner car does not = a civic.

Just to name a few imports that are capable of well over 600rwhp with very few mods... Supra (MK4), 350Z, 300ZX, Skyline (R32,R33,R34), IS300, etc.

Mas35nyr, the Infiniti GTR is coming soon, you'll see the concept this fall. There are so many rumors, i'm not going to get specific, but it's going to be directed towards the C6 Corvette Z06. Options for the engine are: 1.) VQ35DETT, 2.) VQ32DETT (new), 3.) 4.5/5.6 N/A V8.
Old 2/27/05, 12:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Not bashing imports or tuners. Bashing people (won't call them kids because older folks do it too) who think their 115hp car can whip my Mustang because they put a loud exhaust on it, neon wiper fluid sprayers, a huge wing that causes more drag then serves a purpose, and hi intensity lights that end up frying their headlight wires. That is a ricer, no matter what country the car (or truck) is made. I love the Evo and WRX but I wouldn't own one. I love the 911, Enzo, and any other "exotic" but I haven't won the lotto, "YET". If people who added all that stuff to their vehicle will admit it doesn't do anything to their cars performance except add maybe 5hp, I'd be fine. Done ranting. Thank you for the soapbox.
Old 2/27/05, 12:58 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by nis350ztt@February 27, 2005, 1:35 PM
I think some of you are also confused on what is a tuner car. Tuner car does not = a civic.

Just to name a few imports that are capable of well over 600rwhp with very few mods... Supra (MK4), 350Z, 300ZX, Skyline (R32,R33,R34), IS300, etc.

Mas35nyr, the Infiniti GTR is coming soon, you'll see the concept this fall. There are so many rumors, i'm not going to get specific, but it's going to be directed towards the C6 Corvette Z06. Options for the engine are: 1.) VQ35DETT, 2.) VQ32DETT (new), 3.) 4.5/5.6 N/A V8.
The thing is, that is what most people consider rice: cars like the Civic, Accord, etc. The cars you mention are given the possibility to be powerful. It's like what was just spoken of with the fart cans and wings that were stolen off some unfortunate prop plane. Drives me crazy when one of these cars cuts you off in traffic and then whip around the car in front of them. What does this prove? I really like the Lancer EVO's and the 325 bhp (I think that's right) is impressive. I think that is one foreign auto that sounds really good during rev and has a magnificent launch off the line as a stock vehicle. Although, paying 32,000+ would be evidence of the quality in an EVO, I suppose.
Old 2/27/05, 01:27 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

True, a fast is a fast car. However, the driver does matter A LOT. Take for instance, if I decided to take on that Saleen. If he was a poor driver, I could have smoked him no trouble. Same for the Viper. The ability of the driver can equalize an otherwise sadly unfair race.

However, I am not going to take my chances at being the better driver, in traffic, with my kid in the car. My mom may have taught me how to drive, and I am a pretty good driver. But, I have never taken my car to the track, and I have never taken actual driving lessons. Something I want to do, once the 05 is paid off.

Chad, most people consider rice the ones that John described.
Old 2/27/05, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

So is an Acura TL, designed by North Americans...sourced in North America...and built in Ohio, an import?

What about the Chrysler 300C with drivetrain and suspension components sent directly from Mercedes? Is that still a pure domestic vehicle?

The point is that the lines between imports and domestics is being blurred more and more every year.
One way to tell if it is an import or not is the direction the profits travel. Do you think they use the profits they make to help out here in the USA? :usa:
Old 2/27/05, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by rhoover2@February 27, 2005, 3:56 PM
So is an Acura TL, designed by North Americans...sourced in North America...and built in Ohio, an import?

What about the Chrysler 300C with drivetrain and suspension components sent directly from Mercedes? Is that still a pure domestic vehicle?

The point is that the lines between imports and domestics is being blurred more and more every year.
One way to tell if it is an import or not is the direction the profits travel. Do you think they use the profits they make to help out here in the USA? :usa:
So I would not consider the Acura TL an import then, since there is a lot of money as a direct result of the car going to help out the US.
Old 2/27/05, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Profits man Profits. Not the salary's they pay people. The only reason they have moved thier plants over here it to get past the import quota's that our goverment puts on them.
Old 2/27/05, 03:38 PM

Just did a little research, the plant that builds the Acura TL as well as Honda Accord employs 5,500 people. That comes out to about $200-$250 million annually in salaries, that goes straight into the US economy. They also use many domestic parts distributors. I could go on. These are the numbers I care about. I could care less where the money is going to as far as CEOs and ownership of the company, those people aren't hurting for money. I could care less if Bill Ford made another million or billion or not. Would you buy a Ford vehicle made overseas or a Honda vehicle made in the U.S? I would rather have the Honda, more Americans benifit from the Honda made here than the Ford made overseas.
Old 2/28/05, 02:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1@February 27, 2005, 4:41 PM
Just did a little research, the plant that builds the Acura TL as well as Honda Accord employs 5,500 people. That comes out to about $200-$250 million annually in salaries, that goes straight into the US economy. They also use many domestic parts distributors. I could go on. These are the numbers I care about. I could care less where the money is going to as far as CEOs and ownership of the company, those people aren't hurting for money. I could care less if Bill Ford made another million or billion or not. Would you buy a Ford vehicle made overseas or a Honda vehicle made in the U.S? I would rather have the Honda, more Americans benifit from the Honda made here than the Ford made overseas.
Quite correct. Sadly, their cars are also generally better built fit and finish-wise (especially interiors) than Fords...even though both manufacturers supposedly have access to the same North American resources.
Old 2/28/05, 06:33 AM
Cobra Member

I think some kids are just living out their "Fast and the Furious" fantasies. Some people enjoy a challenge and others don't. Some people just like to get where they're going without being tested.

I have felt both extremes. Most of the time, when I accepted a challenge, it was because I was bored. Simple(minded) as that sounds! But when you have a purpose and a destination in mind, it's easy to blow off would-be contenders.

I think you handled these little kiddies very well. You definitely took the high road!
Old 2/28/05, 09:20 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Mustang have name and reputation. Its one of the best domestic cars and it is really popular. Anti-Mustang guys hate that. That's why they're trying to bring you down every chance they get. When something is the best everyone wants to beat it.