2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What is wrong with these kids today?

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/05, 07:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 21 and I'm embarrassed of my generation sometimes as well. I know how you feel, James. Every time I see a white Camry with red rubber fenders and a fart can, I cringe.
Old 2/24/05, 07:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Every now and then this would happen when I drove my '66. I'd just ignore them. Except for this one time 2 years ago

I was driving home late one night when this import :scratch: pulled up next to me. It had a raw metal "Wing" the size of a 707's bolted on the trunk and an exhaust pipe the size of a large grapefruit. It sounded like a loud model airplane. There were two "kids" in it. We stopped at a light and he revved his engine. I bit my lip as not to laugh. Light changed and I sat there as he "peeled" out....not a hint of rubber.....just Brerrrrrrrrr..(sound of model airplane ). Stopped again a few lights down and there he was again. This time All I heard was; "Hey! Old Man!"....and Brerrr; Brerrrrr... (revving the model). Well usually I'd let it go....but "Old Man?" :nono: I was a young 55. I put it in 1st and let loose a long Verooooom (sound of Twice Pipes; ie: Duel glass packs off a 289 bored out to a 302 with twin 4 Barrel Holly's. Included in this package was triple traction bars; Hurst Racing Transmission & 4 speed and Macpherson struts.....looks can be deceiving B) ). The light changed and I laid rubber in 3 of the 4 gears......smoked the little S**t ! .........Felt good too!

Old man indeed!

(It was a young punk that totaled it on a joy ride last year :bang: )
Old 2/24/05, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

One of the reasons I can't wait to get my stang, is so I can start making everybody really mad . . . by doing the SPEED LIMIT! Slow rolln' with a low profile I say. Besides, people can't get a good look when your going fast.

Right now, I race all over the place in my Taurus. Cops don't pay any attention to me. I also like to get in front of people so they can see my dual exhaust, and maybe . . . just for a second . . . wonder if it's just another Taurus. Hehe. Stupid I know, but I'm compensating for a "boring" car. :bang:
Old 2/24/05, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 3RD1@February 24, 2005, 10:44 PM
Every now and then this would happen when I drove my '66. I'd just ignore them. Except for this one time 2 years ago

I was driving home late one night when this import :scratch: pulled up next to me. It had a raw metal "Wing" the size of a 707's bolted on the trunk and an exhaust pipe the size of a large grapefruit. It sounded like a loud model airplane. There were two "kids" in it. We stopped at a light and he revved his engine. I bit my lip as not to laugh. Light changed and I sat there as he "peeled" out....not a hint of rubber.....just Brerrrrrrrrr..(sound of model airplane ). Stopped again a few lights down and there he was again. This time All I heard was; "Hey! Old Man!"....and Brerrr; Brerrrrr... (revving the model). Well usually I'd let it go....but "Old Man?" :nono: I was a young 55. I put it in 1st and let loose a long Verooooom (sound of Twice Pipes; ie: Duel glass packs off a 289 bored out to a 302 with twin 4 Barrel Holly's. Included in this package was triple traction bars; Hurst Racing Transmission & 4 speed and Macpherson struts.....looks can be deceiving B) ). The light changed and I laid rubber in 3 of the 4 gears......smoked the little S**t ! .........Felt good too!

Old man indeed!

(It was a young punk that totaled it on a joy ride last year :bang: )
LOL Good one. I just know my day will come when one of these idiots as well is gonna catch me on a bad day. I just hope when/if it happens their is no cops around.
Old 2/24/05, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by James4litre@February 24, 2005, 10:16 PM
I apologize for my generation. I am 17 an have a red 05 v6 w/ a man trans and about 3 or 4 times a day someone asks me if I want to race. I ask what they have and it's always either civic or integra and I just laugh. I have grown men mess with me in traffic (either tailgating or they pass me). I've behaved and have not raced a single one. My friend was just arrested for a false street racing charge so I'm on edge. Apparently cold air intakes, a bumble bee muffler, and neons add at least 100hp! so to the older members i aplologize for the ignorance of my piers.
No need to apologize my friend. Its not just your generation, there is a bunch of idiots out there even my age (30) that do the same thing. I guess what I dont get is that I would never challenge anyone to begin with. BUT, if I was stupid enough to do so I would challenge someone I knew I could beat for a fact. In comparison to what these freaks do , it would be like one of us trying to challenge a porsche, ferrari, etc. :scratch:
Old 2/24/05, 08:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hear! Hear!

dtdebuty, I have some guys at work ricin' out their vehicles. Its definately not an age thing...its a mindset.

And for the record, sometimes the bigger person is the one who walks away from a challenge.
Old 2/24/05, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GhostTX@February 24, 2005, 11:15 PM
Hear! Hear!

dtdebuty, I have some guys at work ricin' out their vehicles. Its definately not an age thing...its a mindset.

And for the record, sometimes the bigger person is the one who walks away from a challenge.
I totally agree with you 100%!
Old 2/24/05, 09:07 PM
GT Member

I have to say though, it's real fun to laugh at people when they sit there revving those fart cans at a red light!! The only type of car I will ever be interested in doing a little "light racing" with would be a camaro or firebird. I've gotten to much crap from my friends that have them over the years that the mustang is slow or doesnt have any power, haha, well, we'll see about that now. :bowdown:
Old 2/24/05, 09:26 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Preacher@February 24, 2005, 8:37 PM
Tell me what you think about the stripes...
i love the way it looks. We'll see what happens though. Depends how cheap I can get them.
Old 2/24/05, 10:02 PM
GT Member

Honestly, people have to work with what they got. Of course modding out a Civic seems really stupid to us, but not everyone drives an Mustang GT. I'm 17 and my friends with mid 90s Civics or Thunderbirds or Oldsmobiles want to mod their cars, but only small things. My friend is putting about $1500 into his crappy Oldsmobile, but thats all hes got. I say let the ricers do what they want, even if they do look stupid. But I do enjoy seeing a ricer stare at me with his jaw dropped when he sees my car.
Old 2/24/05, 11:03 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Last weekend I was going to the local stables. As I am cruising up the main street, this 04 Black Saleen vert rolls up next to me. I check out his ride... as I am just about to mouth "sweet car", he gives my ride a once over, glares at me, and punches it at the green. I shake my head, and smile. As I near the stables, I come up behind him at another light, he literally smokes the tires off the light. I was completely rollin. My daughter in the car with me was even laughing. I had no idea what this guy was trying to prove, but I had no delusions of trying to race him! We followed him for a couple miles to our destination, and he would get stuck and end up behind me, then play Ricky Racer cut in and out of traffic just to get in front of me.

Then, same DAY, on the way back, a yellow VIPER does the same exact thing! Glares at me, revs, punches it off the light. Plays Ricky Racer, smokin tires and all. Do these guys REALLY think I am going to embarrass (note, I spelled it right, :P) myself like that? I know better.

I know a lot of it is a chick behind the wheel. These guys think a chick in a sports car is sacriledge, but, c'mon! First, I would NEVER have raced down a blvd at 2:30 in the afternoon, much less with my kid in the car. Secondly, I would NEVER have taken on a 04 Saleen, or a newer Viper. Thirdly, NEVER, EVER underestimate a CHICK in a sports car! My mom raced stocks, and she taught me how to drive.

Thats my rant.
Old 2/25/05, 12:13 AM
GTR Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.+February 24, 2005, 9:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05GT-O.C.D. @ February 24, 2005, 9:02 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-OBleedingMe@February 24, 2005, 8:58 PM

In fact, my sister's b/f won't even talk to me about cars anymore because I bought an '05 Mustang GT! He hates Mustangs that much... won't even look at it. Then again, he spent over $23k to get a cavilier down to 14.3 in the quarter mile.
And you still let this guy date your sister??? :nono:
[/b][/quote]
my brother in-law made fun of stangs and hated em and now he owns one and LOVES it. i wish he would of got a cobra, but hey at least it isnt a GM product.
Old 2/25/05, 12:16 AM
GTR Member

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@February 25, 2005, 1:06 AM
Last weekend I was going to the local stables. As I am cruising up the main street, this 04 Black Saleen vert rolls up next to me. I check out his ride... as I am just about to mouth "sweet car", he gives my ride a once over, glares at me, and punches it at the green. I shake my head, and smile. As I near the stables, I come up behind him at another light, he literally smokes the tires off the light. I was completely rollin. My daughter in the car with me was even laughing. I had no idea what this guy was trying to prove, but I had no delusions of trying to race him! We followed him for a couple miles to our destination, and he would get stuck and end up behind me, then play Ricky Racer cut in and out of traffic just to get in front of me.

Then, same DAY, on the way back, a yellow VIPER does the same exact thing! Glares at me, revs, punches it off the light. Plays Ricky Racer, smokin tires and all. Do these guys REALLY think I am going to embarrass (note, I spelled it right, :P) myself like that? I know better.

I know a lot of it is a chick behind the wheel. These guys think a chick in a sports car is sacriledge, but, c'mon! First, I would NEVER have raced down a blvd at 2:30 in the afternoon, much less with my kid in the car. Secondly, I would NEVER have taken on a 04 Saleen, or a newer Viper. Thirdly, NEVER, EVER underestimate a CHICK in a sports car! My mom raced stocks, and she taught me how to drive.

Thats my rant.
why do you think it is embarrassing (prolly not spelt right and i dont give a fly fish) to race? Women can drive sports cars, we our a free country. Uncle raced a 2004 viper RT-10 with his blown F-150, side by side until 100mph and then the viper pulled away.
Old 2/25/05, 01:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by James4litre@February 24, 2005, 7:16 PM
I apologize for my generation. I am 17 an have a red 05 v6 w/ a man trans and about 3 or 4 times a day someone asks me if I want to race. I ask what they have and it's always either civic or integra and I just laugh. I have grown men mess with me in traffic (either tailgating or they pass me). I've behaved and have not raced a single one. My friend was just arrested for a false street racing charge so I'm on edge. Apparently cold air intakes, a bumble bee muffler, and neons add at least 100hp! so to the older members i aplologize for the ignorance of my piers.

do not get too much attituted with ur v6, there is a LOT of rice out there that will smoke you. my friends civic (runs 13.8) can almost keep up with me...course its turbo'd. an evo or sti with any mods will take a stock gt on any given day. i know people with 11 second wrx's, nothing really but upgraded turbo, boost controller, and intake/exhaust will get it there, so watch out theres a bunch around. also watch out for turbo preludes, one ripped me a new one last wkend (i know the guy and i knew he would but i wanted to see)

rule of thumb: if its 4 banger and its NA, then it will lose. if its 4 (or 6) banger and its got forced induction, choose your races wisely.
Old 2/25/05, 04:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by 3RD1@February 24, 2005, 8:44 PM
sound of Twice Pipes; ie: Duel glass packs off a 289 bored out to a 302 with twin 4 Barrel Holly's. Included in this package was triple traction bars; Hurst Racing Transmission & 4 speed and Macpherson struts.....looks can be deceiving B) ). The light changed and I laid rubber in 3 of the 4 gears......smoked the little S**t ! .........Felt good too!

Is it just me or did anyone else get goose bumps reading this?

Thanks for and the pics

My deepest condolences for your loss.
Old 2/25/05, 05:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 3RD1@February 24, 2005, 8:44 PM
Every now and then this would happen when I drove my '66...It was a young punk that totaled it on a joy ride last year :bang:
I'm sure I'll be challenged by all the local rice and pimped-out V6 Mustangs once my GT arrives. The Cobras and 'Vettes probably won't even bother with me. Of course I am too old (at 45) for things such as street racing.

OT--Sorry to hear about your '66. Yours was one of my favorite color combinations. Was she built at the old Milpitas (San Jose) plant? I took a tour of the plant when I was a kid and watched them build '68 Mustangs and Cougars. My Dad's cousin worked at the plant as well.
Old 2/25/05, 06:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by James4litre@February 24, 2005, 8:16 PM
Please don't apologize!! :nono: It is a personal choice and the only thing you are responsible for is yourself. Never lower you’re self just because of something you might have in common. I am glad to hear the maturity of statement and I hope that your enjoying you mustang. (just that shows that you have Great taste)
Old 2/25/05, 07:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 2005 Black GT@February 25, 2005, 12:05 AM
Honestly, people have to work with what they got. Of course modding out a Civic seems really stupid to us, but not everyone drives an Mustang GT. I'm 17 and my friends with mid 90s Civics or Thunderbirds or Oldsmobiles want to mod their cars, but only small things. My friend is putting about $1500 into his crappy Oldsmobile, but thats all hes got. I say let the ricers do what they want, even if they do look stupid. But I do enjoy seeing a ricer stare at me with his jaw dropped when he sees my car.
There's a difference in $1500 to engine modification for better performane and/or fuel cononmy and $1500 going toward useless wings and stickers to make it look like the car got $1500 worth of engine modification.
Old 2/25/05, 07:26 AM

I can't wait to get my Mustang GT, but I won't be able to bring myself to sell my Honda Civic. After all the work I had done on the Civic's suspension, engine, etc, the car handles like a dream, and gets up and goes when I put down the pedal. Like it or not, the Honda Civic has been referred to (not by me) as the '57 Chevy of this generation. The Mustang GT is a fantastic car; beautiful lines,RWD and a 300hp V8...there is no replacement for displacement...but there are a lot of import guys out there who take pride in their rides just like Mustang owners, and don't drive like idiots. Not every import is a P.O.S. with neon lights and a coffee can muffler. :R:
Old 2/25/05, 07:46 AM
V6 Member

Did that car look like this ?

Quick Reply: What is wrong with these kids today?