2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Unfilled '05 Orders Carried Over to '06

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/05, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking out loud...did Ford know how the 4.6l 3v was going to stand up to this application and did they want to limit production until it was proven?

Did they know that buyers were literally going to come out of the woodwork?
Old 4/7/05, 08:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally posted by Snikt@April 7, 2005, 5:56 PM
Does any of this really matter?
No, it doesn't. In fact I'm done with it. It's become tiresome.
Old 4/8/05, 07:47 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Stadifer@April 6, 2005, 6:08 PM
I gotta defend Ford a little bit here. First off historically it has been the V6 sales that has carried the Mustang (roughly 70%+ EVERY year for a long time). Why would you suddenly shift production when your past numbers clearly indicate that the V6 is the bigger seller? The only reason why GT's are in such high demand is because this is the first year of an amazingly succesful re-design of America's pony car. So in turn the major Mustang fans said "I want that!" so the first year is expected to see a surge in GT sales. Next year or the year following it is likely that sales once again shift towards the V6.

Should Ford had expected this change? Perhaps, but the numbers clearly showed that the V6 is the top seller.

As far as production capability is concerned. An article posted on here made it pretty clear how Ford figures out what cars get their V8 engine. The report stated that Ford felt the F-150 line was too valuable to decrease its production which takes the same engine. You can't increase production if you can't increase the production of ALL the components that go into the car. I can't blame Ford because they'll make far more money on an F-150 then they ever would a GT Mustang.

So Ford is left with only two options. Reduce demand by increasing price or allow the market to find its own equalibrium. So far it appears Ford is doing the later and for that I'm relieved. If Mustang takes a big price increase it could push it out of my price range easily.

I do agree that no price protection is crap. I also understand everyone is excited to get their very own pony. Unfortunately sometimes you have to wait for a very good thing. Look at it in a positive way. You'll have more time to save up a down payment and in turn decrease the interest paid for your loan.
Question: based on low V-6 sales, do you think Ford will add something to the 2006 V6 to get sales moving? Like bigger wheels, mo power????
Old 4/8/05, 08:07 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by army_eod+April 8, 2005, 7:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(army_eod @ April 8, 2005, 7:50 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Stadifer@April 6, 2005, 6:08 PM
I gotta defend Ford a little bit here. First off historically it has been the V6 sales that has carried the Mustang (roughly 70%+ EVERY year for a long time). Why would you suddenly shift production when your past numbers clearly indicate that the V6 is the bigger seller? The only reason why GT's are in such high demand is because this is the first year of an amazingly succesful re-design of America's pony car. So in turn the major Mustang fans said "I want that!" so the first year is expected to see a surge in GT sales. Next year or the year following it is likely that sales once again shift towards the V6.

Should Ford had expected this change? Perhaps, but the numbers clearly showed that the V6 is the top seller.

As far as production capability is concerned. An article posted on here made it pretty clear how Ford figures out what cars get their V8 engine. The report stated that Ford felt the F-150 line was too valuable to decrease its production which takes the same engine. You can't increase production if you can't increase the production of ALL the components that go into the car. I can't blame Ford because they'll make far more money on an F-150 then they ever would a GT Mustang.

So Ford is left with only two options. Reduce demand by increasing price or allow the market to find its own equalibrium. So far it appears Ford is doing the later and for that I'm relieved. If Mustang takes a big price increase it could push it out of my price range easily.

I do agree that no price protection is crap. I also understand everyone is excited to get their very own pony. Unfortunately sometimes you have to wait for a very good thing. Look at it in a positive way. You'll have more time to save up a down payment and in turn decrease the interest paid for your loan.
Question: based on low V-6 sales, do you think Ford will add something to the 2006 V6 to get sales moving? Like bigger wheels, mo power????
[/b][/quote]
V6 sales are not "low"...
Old 4/8/05, 08:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by army_eod@April 8, 2005, 7:50 AM
05 V6 sales aren't low virtually all the V6 Stang's produced are sold. Only the regions that receive the bulk of allocations have extra ones on the lots (Florida & Texas seem to top the list). In most cases I'd bet those V6's are bone stock with no extras in them too.

I highly doubt that Ford makes a major production shift between MY's. The surge in GT sales can probably be attributed to the enthusiast coming back to buy a new one and they are going to want the GT. I'd be willing to bet in the next year or two sales shift back to V6 with the GT becoming the minority once again.

Right now Ford needs to let the market find it's own equilibrium without too much monkeying. If they play with prices, features, or production too much it could deflate the market and the Ford is realllllyyyyy hosed.
Old 4/8/05, 09:47 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Stadifer+April 8, 2005, 10:57 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stadifer @ April 8, 2005, 10:57 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-army_eod@April 8, 2005, 7:50 AM
05 V6 sales aren't low virtually all the V6 Stang's produced are sold. Only the regions that receive the bulk of allocations have extra ones on the lots (Florida & Texas seem to top the list). In most cases I'd bet those V6's are bone stock with no extras in them too.

I highly doubt that Ford makes a major production shift between MY's. The surge in GT sales can probably be attributed to the enthusiast coming back to buy a new one and they are going to want the GT. I'd be willing to bet in the next year or two sales shift back to V6 with the GT becoming the minority once again.

Right now Ford needs to let the market find it's own equilibrium without too much monkeying. If they play with prices, features, or production too much it could deflate the market and the Ford is realllllyyyyy hosed.
[/b][/quote]

Personally, with the way all Mustangs have sold, I doubt Ford could do much in the way of anything to srew it up. That said, I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut you see another price increase for the '06s.
Old 4/8/05, 08:04 PM

so to sum it up...all 06 orders will start from scratch because 05 orders will not be carried over?
Old 4/8/05, 09:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Stadifer@April 6, 2005, 9:08 AM

Another thing to consider is that they are talking about how many customer order there are. I would image that MOST people who are motivated to order a Mustang are going GT. But that doesn't mean that the majority of people buying off the lot won't be V6 buyers. At the end of the day the ratio may still be right - but, because the demand is so high they simply won't have enough of either for this year.
Old 4/8/05, 11:33 PM
V6 Member

Dudes, I suggest we all wait 1 to 2 years and get a nice used 05 for a much reduced price. I don't buy new cars. I alway wait till the price catches up with the value. As the newer cars come out they will surely drop in value. Also, any bugs that show up, would likely be worked out in the first 2 years any way under warrenty issues. No need to really worry here. There will plenty of 05 toys to pickup in the future.
Old 4/9/05, 12:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Fast351@April 6, 2005, 10:54 AM
I am intrested in that info, too Rampant. I am more than happy to get an 06', but I really would like to know what options I have for that model year. I sure as heck want to know what Colorado Red and Vista Blue are going to look like.........
colorado red
http://www.fordfocus.com.au/home/model_zetec/