2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/07, 04:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I was talking to a member today about the TPMS and Realized Why they Got away from the Valvestem Type. Anybody ever try to Reuse a Valvestem. Most times you rip it while removing it. It would be a Safety Isuue reusing the Sensor from one wheel to another!

KC
The snap in style stems can be replaced, I think we are charging 10 per kit.
The service techs just need to be aware when removing one, not just to grab it and pull it out with the sensor still on the back.

Either way, The band style might be the best imo.

I am learning more and more about these every day now that we are starting to see them coming into the shop.

Did my 1st relearn on a GM today, pretty easy.
The Acura MDX we did had auto relearn, very nice.
Still waiting for a Ford with TPMS that needs a relearn.
Old 5/8/07, 04:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Exactly every time a tire is changed or I think t that valve stem you must redo the stem either the new o-ring kit ? correct ? and tire guys say it's a royal pain to do them.
Heh, absolutly.
We all hate change tho, will just take some time getting use to.
Old 5/14/07, 06:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so can you buy a 16" V6 tps for a Magnum wheel?
Old 5/15/07, 02:38 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
The Sensors are the Same. Just a Matter of getting Some New Straps.
Old 5/15/07, 08:59 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Stoenr
Did my 1st relearn on a GM today, pretty easy.
The Acura MDX we did had auto relearn, very nice.
Still waiting for a Ford with TPMS that needs a relearn.
Chrysler also has some vehicles equipped with an auto relearn, On your GM vehicle, was it the type that used the magnet oir the scanner, or did you do the trick where you deflate the tire till the horn sounds then repeat the process around the vehicle.
Old 5/15/07, 09:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by bob
Chrysler also has some vehicles equipped with an auto relearn, On your GM vehicle, was it the type that used the magnet oir the scanner, or did you do the trick where you deflate the tire till the horn sounds then repeat the process around the vehicle.
No, we put the car into learn mode using the message center options. (Now is when normally you would use the magnet or air psi trick) Put the handheld TPMS reader to the LF,RF,RR,LR and it wakes up each sensor as you go to each wheel. Horn beeps after each one, then twice when complete, have a nice day.
Old 7/18/07, 03:29 PM
Cobra R Member

What do you have to do to get your car to recognize new wheels with the sensors in them?
And then will it still know the old ones?
Old 7/18/07, 03:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

They need to be woken up with a progammer. Then programmed.
Not sure but I think the old ones lose the communications at that point with the BCM, not sure.
Old 7/19/07, 10:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Not sure but I think the old ones lose the communications at that point with the BCM, not sure.
thanks, i'll have to ask the dealer.
these things are completely useless anyway, i changed my wheels and the light didn't come on until over 50 miles later!!!
Old 7/20/07, 09:13 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts

Sounds Like Some of my Employee's!

MGB,

KC
Old 7/25/07, 07:11 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to be woken up, eh? Maybe that's why I'm getting a Low Pressure warning after swapping from fanblades to factory GT500 wheels & tires.

After the fun of buying the car (and knowing more about it than the salesman) I can't imagine how much fun it'll be to talk to the service dept about this.
Old 7/25/07, 08:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by GoFaster
Need to be woken up, eh? Maybe that's why I'm getting a Low Pressure warning after swapping from fanblades to factory GT500 wheels & tires.

After the fun of buying the car (and knowing more about it than the salesman) I can't imagine how much fun it'll be to talk to the service dept about this.
Good luck! apparently nobody knows anything about them..
Old 7/25/07, 08:33 PM
Cobra Member

I had my dealer learn in the new set that came with my wheels from the Tirerack. They did it in a couple minutes gratis. They have a handheld tool for setting them up.
Old 7/26/07, 01:16 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RobK
I had my dealer learn in the new set that came with my wheels from the Tirerack. They did it in a couple minutes gratis. They have a handheld tool for setting them up.
You're lucky. My dealer quoted me $100 for the same thing
Old 7/26/07, 08:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sycd
You're lucky. My dealer quoted me $100 for the same thing

Go to another dealer. It's a 15 minute operation tops. Is their rate $400/hr.?
Old 7/26/07, 11:36 PM

Here's how I worked around the TPMS light, which at first I didn't think would be a problem but after a while really got on my nerves.

I went to HomeDepot and bought a 12" X 1 1/2" threaded PVC pipe and matching threaded caps and a can of PVC cement. Then I went to PepBoys and bought a threaded valve stem 1 1/4". Put the offending TPMS sensors in the pipe, drilled a hole in one of the caps and installed the valve stem. Pressurized the pipe bomb looking contraption up to 35PSI and the TPMS light has been gone ever since. Total cost $16.00.

Here's a picture of the fix, that is placed under the rear decklid, and out of sight (Not very appealing) I got this idea from another forum and this is my first post here.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...IMG_1141_1.jpg
Old 7/27/07, 02:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

From what Ive read the sensors need to be pulled out of sleep mode by speeds of 20 mph+. Pretty sure they sleep when the car is off for battery live in the sensors.

I wonder how long the PVC trick will work. Keep us up to date, I have not followed the others who have tried this.
Old 7/27/07, 07:07 AM

Why bother with installing the sensors? Especially if you have to take them to the dealer for "learning." That plus having extra chunks of metal/plastic inside your tires and having to eventually replace the batteries. TPMS might be worthwhile for the kind of drivers that typically neglect their vehicles, but for performance car drivers they seem to be more trouble than they are worth. ($400+ for Tire Rack to install.)

My experience with my summer tires is that the warning message comes on when you start the car - press the restart button and it goes away. The low pressure light comes for a couple of seconds and goes away. Overall, its less annoying than the low fuel warning system.
Old 7/27/07, 07:34 AM
Bullitt Member

$40 for new bands/cradles from Discount Tire, and they reuse your sensors from the stock wheels. The sensors will relearn on their own, either immediately, or after a few minutes of driving. I don't see why this is such a big deal.
Old 7/27/07, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by RUgoinUp?
$40 for new bands/cradles from Discount Tire, and they reuse your sensors from the stock wheels. The sensors will relearn on their own, either immediately, or after a few minutes of driving. I don't see why this is such a big deal.
This works if you have worn out your old tires. You still need to break down the old tires/wheels, retrieve the sensors and, if you are buying from Tire Rack or Discount, ship them for install. If you want a second set(summer and all-season), you need new sensors.

Quick Reply: TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System