2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/07, 06:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just read on another forum that someone took the TPMS off the car and put them in a PVC pipe, with a valve stem, inflated it to 32psi, and put it in the trunk and it was good to go. I'm deffinatly going to try that!
Old 2/24/07, 11:21 AM
Cobra R Member

PLEASE let me know if that works. thats what i have been thinking about doing for a while now
Old 2/24/07, 07:24 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
I just read on another forum that someone took the TPMS off the car and put them in a PVC pipe, with a valve stem, inflated it to 32psi, and put it in the trunk and it was good to go. I'm deffinatly going to try that!
Man, you are bound and determined to get rid of the TPMS aren't you? Forgive me if I hadn't read a few pages up to see if you've replaced your wheels, but I can't see any good reason to defeat a pretty good and unobtrusive safety system on the car that also helps to reduce the operating costs of the vehicle over its lifetime.

That said, you might be able to deactivate the TPMS through the OBDII port (I dunno if this is possible, but some systems can be activated/deactivated via the port)
Old 2/25/07, 10:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is something that you might find interesting. According to the service manual, the tire sensors only transmit while moving at speeds over 20mph. When the vehicle becomes stationary for more than 30 minutes, the tire sensors go into sleep mode to conserve their internal batteries.

Originally Posted by From the 2007 Service Manual
The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) monitors the air pressure of all 4 road tires. The wheel-mounted tire pressure sensors transmit via radio frequency (RF) signals, to the smart junction box (SJB). TPMS functionality is integral to the SJB. These transmissions are sent approximately every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 32 km/h (20 mph). The TPMS function compares each tire pressure sensor transmission against a low-pressure limit. If it has been determined that the tire pressure has fallen below this limit, the SJB communicates this on the vehicle communication bus to the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster then illuminates the TPMS indicator and displays the appropriate message(s) in the message center (if equipped).
The system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

NOTE: The TPMS sensors do not transmit when the vehicle is stationary. If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, it will be necessary to wake up the sensors so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information to the SJB.
Old 2/25/07, 10:56 PM
Cobra Member

I've heard of a few places that can recalibrate these to the required pressure but have not seen it done.
Old 2/26/07, 06:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bob
Man, you are bound and determined to get rid of the TPMS aren't you? Forgive me if I hadn't read a few pages up to see if you've replaced your wheels, but I can't see any good reason to defeat a pretty good and unobtrusive safety system on the car that also helps to reduce the operating costs of the vehicle over its lifetime.

That said, you might be able to deactivate the TPMS through the OBDII port (I dunno if this is possible, but some systems can be activated/deactivated via the port)

i can forsee in my future that i will have multiple sets of wheels on my car, because of this and the rediculous cost of the sensors, and my constant use of a pressure gauge. becasue the unobtrusive safety system wont tell me what the actual pressure is. i dont see a problem with getting rid of the system.
Old 3/12/07, 10:13 PM
Cobra Member

http://www.grabberorange.net/forums/...=tpms&start=30

Thanks to 2007Grabber!
Old 3/13/07, 06:11 AM
Cobra R Member

thanks for the link, i am planning the PVC route, but need the new wheels and tires first.
Old 3/13/07, 06:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by neil07gt
Here is something that you might find interesting. According to the service manual, the tire sensors only transmit while moving at speeds over 20mph. When the vehicle becomes stationary for more than 30 minutes, the tire sensors go into sleep mode to conserve their internal batteries.
Only when working properly, though. If malfunctioning, it stay's lit all the time. (at least mine does).
Old 3/13/07, 09:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FLAstangx3
Only when working properly, though. If malfunctioning, it stay's lit all the time. (at least mine does).
Did you get a Sensor Fault? I got a sensor fault a few weeks after I bought the car. I lived with the fault for about 2 weeks, and it went away on its own. It returned one other time, a month or two later, but I haven't seen it again for months.
Old 3/13/07, 06:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by pferd
Got these links from a friend who is a soon-to-be Mustang owner. May help some...

TPMS Overview
http://home.ptd.net/~safari/mustang/fsm/TPMS.pdf

Sensor Training
http://home.ptd.net/~safari/mustang/fsm/Training.pdf

Sensor Details
http://home.ptd.net/~safari/mustang/fsm/Sensor.pdf

Strap and Cradle Details
http://home.ptd.net/~safari/mustang/fsm/Strap.pdf
Great Info, thanks! Is there a place online which sells tools such as the activation tool described by the Sensor Training document? Or do I need to get that from my Ford dealer?
Old 5/3/07, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by pferd
Got these links from a friend who is a soon-to-be Mustang owner. May help some...

TPMS Overview
http://home.ptd.net/~safari/mustang/fsm/TPMS.pdf

Sensor Training
http://home.ptd.net/~safari/mustang/fsm/Training.pdf

Sensor Details
http://home.ptd.net/~safari/mustang/fsm/Sensor.pdf

Strap and Cradle Details
http://home.ptd.net/~safari/mustang/fsm/Strap.pdf

Linky broken! Anyone know if these are still around? I need to train my new sensors. Thanks!
Old 5/3/07, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Boo, I already have TPMS, the two sensors are mounted on my face right between my ears and nose.
Old 5/3/07, 11:16 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Agent MOO
Boo, I already have TPMS, the two sensors are mounted on my face right between my ears and nose.
I know. I know. I don't need it, but I don't want the **** warning on my brand new car either! I already ponied up the cash for sensors in my new wheels so I'd like it to work. Not looking for unsolicited opinions here, just the pdfs!
Old 5/3/07, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RobK
Linky broken! Anyone know if these are still around? I need to train my new sensors. Thanks!

I fixed the links. Please try again.

Mark
Old 5/3/07, 11:51 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks!
Old 5/3/07, 06:17 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!

I am Getting Reports of Dealers putting wheels on Mustangs without using the TPMS Sensors. Customer Takes Delivery of car and 30 Miles doen the Road the Light comes on. Be aware if you change wheels on an 07 to make sure they are TPMS Compatible!

kc
The system waits 30 miles before reporting that the sensors aren't there? Average 60 miles per hour and that's half an hour.

Man your tires could be REALLY flat by that point.
Old 5/3/07, 06:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Cheese302
PLEASE let me know if that works. thats what i have been thinking about doing for a while now
It sounds like they work on centrifugal force to wake them up so in THEORY I doubt the PVC solution is going to work. Surely the vehicle knows it's moving but it's not getting any signals because the sensors are in sleep mode. According to 05stangkc you'd get about 30 miles and the light would come on. Ask the guys who've done the PVC solution how long it's been working for them.

Personally, I installed TPMS on my Jeep and it's a little bit more advanced than what you get in most factory kits because I actually get the pressure and temperature readings rather than an "idiot light".

They're also valve stem mounted sensors rather than band mounted.

An '07 Mustang won't be in budget for me. I'll be looking for an '05 model. But when I get it, I'll be installing the same TPMS kit that's in the Jeep.

On the system I use, I can set the warning levels to exactly what I want them to be, and I can also easily set up an Off-Road mode where the system thinks 6 psi is "normal" and will give me an alarm at 4 psi.

I can see the lack of control over some of the OEM solutions causing headaches... but... I still enjoy having the system in my Jeep. I know my spare tire is in good condition without removing the cover, and if the car is pulling to one side I can just press the check-up button and see if there's a problem with the tires or if it's just a cross wind.

It's also great for those pesky nails.
Old 5/3/07, 06:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
They do not get woken up by centrifugal force.
They are woken up by the cars BCM(body control module) Or a hand held programmer, no not the Sct or predator, lol

This is the tool we just purchased for our shop a few weeks ago
http://www.bartecusa.com/?gclid=CIre...FQWjIwodh1yfUw
ur tools are designed to activate and decode all TPMS sensors on the market.

Only 585 bucks! lol. You can bet we will be charging a nice fee for reprogramming sensors.
Old 5/3/07, 07:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
They do not get woken up by centrifugal force.
They are woken up by the cars BCM(body control module) Or a hand held programmer, no not the Sct or predator, lol

This is the tool we just purchased for our shop a few weeks ago
http://www.bartecusa.com/?gclid=CIre...FQWjIwodh1yfUw
ur tools are designed to activate and decode all TPMS sensors on the market.

Only 585 bucks! lol. You can bet we will be charging a nice fee for reprogramming sensors.
In that case, the home made pipe bomb should work fine

Quick Reply: TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System