Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I go to the dealer...(quite a read)

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/07, 09:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I go to the dealer...(quite a read)

because my friend wanted to purchase his extended warranty on his '06 GT. Now I've been wanting to get a GT of my own and I wanted it special ordered, but have been waiting for whatever reason and will probably still continue to wait. However I figured, well while I'm here I might as well test drive a GT for @*# and giggles. I tell the guy what I'm looking for and what not and ask if I can test drive a GT, he happens to have a 5 SPD available to drive, so I said great. Well it happens to be pretty darn close to what I want; black on black leather, ribbed applique, etc. He tells me, now here's where the story is prolly BS, that a pregnant woman traded it in with 1000 some odd miles on it, 2007. I say to myself, if she was pregnant why did she buy it? Unless she got knocked up by surprise.

The drive was great, really smooth clutch, everything is like butter. The exaust however was surprisingly loud for a stock exaust, but maybe cuz it's a 5 SPD? It didn't have the standard pipes, they looked bright polished aluminum yet it wasn't a GT appearance package. So we get back and the guy gives me a "blowout" price. Says he can sell it off for $24,500. Now granted it doesn't have everything I want, but sometimes you have to sacrifice. I asked if they can at least swap out the stock 17" wheels and give me the 18" fanblades and add the hood scoop and he said they shouldn't have a problem with the wheels and the scoop may be dooable.

If they can scoop it and swap the wheels, do you think that's a good price for an 07 with a little under 1100 miles on it? I don't know, I have X-Plan and can't use it on this car cuz it's considered pre-owned. What if I get a brand new one though, special ordered how I like it, WITH X-plan and 2007 incentives. I might pay a couple grand extra, I don't know I'm all conflicted. I didn't even go in there with the idea of buying anything!
Old 7/23/07, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh yeah, as a added bonus for reading my story, saw this beauty in the show room!

I saw the window sticker on this, yeah this dealer posted a $20000 markup on it, what are they out of their minds???
Old 7/23/07, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '07 is a GT 5-speed with only IUP and the Premium Interior Package as options, nothing else. Invoice was $26,990. X-Plan was only $32 less, according to the invoice. You can get either $2000 cash or low financing on a new one. I'd say if they'll swap out the 'blades and scoop it, they're trying to work with you on it.
Old 7/23/07, 10:48 PM

2007 GT, Manual Trans,IUP,Premier Trim Package,Airbags,GT Appearance Package,Sirius,Comfort Group heated seats. Msrp 29920.00 Purchased for 25922.00 last April. For comparison.
Old 7/23/07, 11:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I bought my '05 GT brand new in Oct. of '06 for exactly $10,600 off the price of the '06. Best decision I ever made. I'd suggest you go for it. However, first try to verify the story of the pregnant woman (not sure how, maybe try to ask to talk to her on the phone or something). I'd hate for you to buy a car returned due to the "lemon law".

PS. All S197's are five speed, manuals and automatics.
Old 7/24/07, 12:20 AM
V6 Member

well its an investment , your spending alot of money why spend it on somehting you are 100 % satiesfied with
Old 7/24/07, 12:50 AM
Cobra R Member

simple: ask dealer to give you name and number of seller (i figure if he won't,hes hiding something)...run a carfax on car...get caa or mechanic to do a inspection.....
Old 7/24/07, 05:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
intrest rates are higher on used cars than on a new car. Wait for that 0% for 60mo finance rate then go for it. What you save now on the sale price you will spend on intrest.
Also as far as contacting the old owner.... if the dealership gave my number out I would be a little ****ed. Run a car fax report on it. I know they are not always correct but its a start.
Old 7/24/07, 07:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Well being that there's only a little over 1000 miles on it I'm thinking maybe this car was a demo car that has been test driven like crazy and maybe they want to get rid of it. I don't think I'll ask for the woman's info as I too would be ****ed if someone gave that out. I think what I'll do is see how much a customer order for a new 07 would be with xplan and the incentives, then see how much I can haggle that 24500 price down. Oh yeah I forgot to mention, my gf's uncle works at the dealer, something with pre-owned cars. Yeah kinda important info lol. Maybe he can give me the low down on what's up with this car and help me with the price!
Old 7/24/07, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

Here's an FYI for you...my dealer has an '07 V6 with 22 miles on it in their used lot. It was wrecked during a test drive - t-boned in fact. If a car sustains damage beyond a certain threshold ($500?) pre-delivery it can't be sold as new. That may be the story here. I don't buy the pregnant lady story one bit. He's lying. Carfax won't tell you anything because they wouldn't have reported it. It's not a demo or they would sell it as new. It was either wrecked or a someone's financing fell through. My money is on wrecked. Oh, and you can't order an '07. They ceased production in June.
Old 7/24/07, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be a valid story. I'm in the car business, and people do come back on occasion and trade that quickly. It's rare, but it does happen. If the car was a wrecked demo, it wouldn't be titled, unless the dealer ran it through their leasing company or something just to get a title. A demo has an MSO just like any other new car. If you really want the car, and your GF's uncle works there, go straight to him. Have them put a statement on the buyer's order that the car has not been damaged and make sure someone from management signs the order.

Also, since you can get zero or low interest on the new car, do some figuring and compare how much the interest is going to cost on new vs. used. That might be a factor in your decision. Once you factor that in, the new car might be a better deal.
Old 7/24/07, 08:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I sold an 07 Vette with 820 miles on it and an 07 Jeep Rubicon with 680 miles on it this week, both were trade ins.
Old 7/24/07, 12:59 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Idk, Id be sorta sketchy about that price. What I find kinda wierd, is my local dealership had 2005's back when they first came out, selling them (nicely loaded) for like 20k. I wish I had some money. Of course, had I had some money, Id be driving a mint condition '66 coupe, for a slim price of $5k.
Old 7/24/07, 01:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Hey Kevin, what did they trade the 'Vette for after all of 820 miles? Did they decide they really needed a minivan or something??
Old 7/24/07, 02:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey viiStang, where in NJ are you from? You have a PM coming! When you read it, hit me back.
Old 7/24/07, 03:44 PM
GT Member

Never believe the "story" the dealer has behind any car they are selling used. -- Get what you want it will be worth the wait. Mine was.
Old 7/24/07, 04:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Does anyone here smell lemons??? (and BS about the "pregnant woman"?)

I do...

My $0.02: Everyone here on TMS (and elsewhere, to be fair) says when their 'Stang gets wrecked, flooded, recovered from theft, suffers from excessive repairs, et al..

"Trade it in, it will then be someone else's problem."

Do you want to be that "someone else"? I sure don't. Buy a NEW one.
Old 7/24/07, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Think maybe here may have mentioned it, but what if I can get them to put it in writing that the car has not been returned due to damage, lemon law, faulty engineering, etc?
Old 7/24/07, 07:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
then alls you have to think about is the finance charges from a new stang to a used stang
Old 7/24/07, 07:36 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
There should not be a problem finding a new '07 GT for little over invoice less the rebate. That will make it very close in price to the used one.

Quick Reply: So I go to the dealer...(quite a read)