2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Saleen replaces SVT?

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/05, 02:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cobrasvt777@January 3, 2005, 2:07 PM
Most Cobra owners don't buy Saleen because they don't like the styling and the cost for performance is too high.
I think your half right. I bet most Mustang and Mustang Cobra owners Love the styling of the Saleens. All the Cobra owners I'm friends with love Saleens as well. But we all agree they are too high in price when you compare the performance to the Cobra.

How can someone not like Saleen Styling??

I highly doubt that SVT will be outsourced to Saleen. That would shock all of us to the core. :shock:
I never have liked Saleen styling. I know several others that don't either. There are many on this board. They look like cheese graters with wheels. I respect their performance, but, don't like the looks.
Old 1/3/05, 02:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by TKEUofM@January 3, 2005, 4:01 PM
I actually heard from a Ford source that Thai Tang (spelling?) is moving in to take over SVT since he did such an awesome job on the 05.
this is true. It was announced several weeks ago.
Old 1/4/05, 10:12 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never have liked Saleen styling. I know several others that don't either. There are many on this board. They look like cheese graters with wheels. I respect their performance, but, don't like the looks.
Cheese Graters??
well that's okay if you dont like the look of Saleens i guess. TO each his own. I cant argue it cause there are a couple years of Cobras i'm not too fond of the styling either. Shhhhh, dont say nothin though. B)
I still appreciate them though. :worship:

I think Hau Thai-Tang will be a great asset as head of SVT and other Ford Vehicle operations. The guy is Vietnamese born but has American Muscle in his blood. If you ever seen him interviewed, you'll know he has what it takes. However im sorry to see Coletti go.
Old 1/4/05, 04:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by cobrasvt777@January 4, 2005, 12:15 PM
Cheese Graters??
well that's okay if you dont like the look of Saleens i guess. TO each his own. I cant argue it cause there are a couple years of Cobras i'm not too fond of the styling either. Shhhhh, dont say nothin though. B)
I still appreciate them though. :worship:

I think Hau Thai-Tang will be a great asset as head of SVT and other Ford Vehicle operations. The guy is Vietnamese born but has American Muscle in his blood. If you ever seen him interviewed, you'll know he has what it takes. However im sorry to see Coletti go.
Don't get me wrong, I respect (and like) all mustangs. Some more than others. I wouldn't refuse to own or drive a Saleen. I just don't care as much for their styling. Some of the cues look added on or unneccesary. They do appear to have some function (like brake cooling), but seem overdone.
Old 1/4/05, 08:50 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Your rumor is very old.

Just last week SVT said that they are thinking about bringing the SVT Focus back and that by 2007 SVT will have more products out at the same time than it every has.
Old 1/4/05, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by V10@January 4, 2005, 9:53 PM
Your rumor is very old.

Just last week SVT said that they are thinking about bringing the SVT Focus back and that by 2007 SVT will have more products out at the same time than it every has.
Are you serious?? Wicked! Where did you hear this?

I want a new SVT Focus.. I hope they go back to the hatchback

I can't stand that ST coupe, it doesn't look sporty at all :scratch:

Yeah, I know, this is a Mustang forum, but hey, I love my Focus, and I would buy another one.. I wouldn't mind always having a Mustang and a Focus in my stable B)
Old 1/5/05, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Anyone else otice that topics starting with the phrases
"I heard a rumour"
"My local ford dealer says"
always work out to be false?
Old 1/11/05, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by Blip@January 3, 2005, 1:41 PM
Here's a couple more things to throw into the rumor world.

You got to remember Saleen now has an assembly plant in Michigan where they paint and assemble the Ford GT.
(The 05 S-281 E may be made there too.)

The facility has a capacity to do much more.
I can see the Saleen facility being the assembly line for other low volume number vehicles like SVT products, but they will not have any Saleen Label.
It's probably cheaper for them to built speciality vehicles, than making separate build lines at the new Mustang plant.

Also, Saleen built 5 GT-R prototypes for Ford, not just one.
Greetings everyone.

I orginally followed a link over to this board and couldn't help look around a bit before stumbling into this thread....

I just discovered the info about Saleen's plant in MI a few days before their new 281 unveiling in Anaheim. I had the chance to look at the new car as well as speak to Steve and a couple of his marketing guys as they were shooting the promo video that was shown at the unveiling.

I found this little tid bit quite interesting and when I iquired further I was informed that the new plant allowed them to be closer to new model developement and provided for a closer working relationship with Ford. I was also informed that the Irvine (Lake Forest) facility will primarily handle production for the western half of the U.S. and the MI. plant the eastern half. Whether that proves to be true I have no clue.

After a little more discussion it started to make sense - obviously Saleen needs to have a close working relationship with Ford to allow them early access to new models and Ford gets the benefit of Saleen's (and no doubt other tuner's as well) racing experience and engineering/R&D. So, it appears they provide benefits to each other.

I highly doubt that they are set to replace SVT anytime in the forseeable future, (I believe SVT after a little restructuring and redirection will be back in full force) but given their tight relationship I suspect we will see more Saleen (along with Roush and others) tech working it's way into future Fords.

In a nutshell it's a win/win for all parties and a beneficial working relationship even to the point of them handling some limited production stuff as mentioned and/or picking up some specialty work as well. But sliding in to take over SVT... I just don't see that happening.

Brett
Old 1/11/05, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by new22003@January 5, 2005, 2:28 PM
Anyone else otice that topics starting with the phrases
"I heard a rumour"
"My local ford dealer says"
always work out to be false?
Thats why this is the roumer mill.

As I understand it Saleen and SVT did a lot of work together on the new Ford GT. Saleen will not come in and replace SVT if they did there would be many people who would be upset. Not that saleen is bad or anything but I say LONG LIVE THE COBRA :worship: .

This is the first Ive heard about the reintro for the SVT focus. If they did it would be sweet. I have an 02 svtf and it is a lot of fun to drive. It can take the twisties like nothing else. Much faster than my lowered 96 GT I had (in the turns that is).