2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Ponies on order

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/06, 10:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Tom- I noticed in your last post plenum pic, your brake reservior is leaking like 99.9% of other Mustangs.

Got a hot tip from a member here to put some teflon (plumbers) tape on the threads. He said, once done, leak no more! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/11/06, 11:01 AM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was actually going to put in the post... "see my leaking break resevoir?", but I forgot. Teflon tape on the threads of the cap? I figured it was common, as Mike's leaks, too. Thanks for the tip! Was yours leaking?
Old 3/11/06, 11:06 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ March 11, 2006, 10:04 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I was actually going to put in the post... "see my leaking break resevoir?", but I forgot. Teflon tape on the threads of the cap? I figured it was common, as Mike's leaks, too. Thanks for the tip! Was yours leaking?
[/b][/quote]
I don't think mine is leaking out yet, but I'm positive it will, just a matter of time.
I'll do the teflon tape thing when I install the hood struts.

I think the teflon tape gets put on the reservior housing threads; just like regular plumbing stuff.
Old 3/11/06, 11:09 AM
GTR Member

I just cleaned my brake reservoir and pulled the cap... not many threads to put tape on. I guess you could just wrap the tape around 2 times and lock on the lid.
Old 3/11/06, 11:11 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ March 11, 2006, 10:12 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I just cleaned my brake reservoir and pulled the cap... not many threads to put tape on. I guess you could just wrap the tape around 2 times and lock on the lid.
[/b][/quote]
I haven't looked myself, you're the first input on what the treads look like.

Are you going to tape the reservior or the cap threads?
Old 3/11/06, 02:10 PM
GTR Member

The cap threads are inside the cap so they would be difficult to tape. I'll wrap tape 2 times tightly around the reservoir threads (it's more of a lock then threads). Just have to make sure we don't get any teflon tape into the fluid. That should definitely prevent any leaks.
Old 3/11/06, 03:29 PM

Now Bill if you really want to know what it feels like to be a red-headed step child.....[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Looks promising Daryl. We got an odd message change frol ERL. Used to say shipped via convoy carrier Feb27, now says shipped via rail Mar 8. The ETA has always been week of Mar 8. Any guesses?
Plenum cover looks good Tom. Shades are a little too much for old farts like me though. I'll stick with ma Bans. BTW as they are a job related piecee of equipment for me go for the max UV/AB you can get!
Later crew
Old 3/11/06, 05:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red & Shantel @ March 11, 2006, 4:32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Now Bill if you really want to know what it feels like to be a red-headed step child.....[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Looks promising Daryl. We got an odd message change frol ERL. Used to say shipped via convoy carrier Feb27, now says shipped via rail Mar 8. The ETA has always been week of Mar 8. Any guesses?
Plenum cover looks good Tom. Shades are a little too much for old farts like me though. I'll stick with ma Bans. BTW as they are a job related piecee of equipment for me go for the max UV/AB you can get!
Later crew
[/b][/quote]
I think they always ship convoy (Truck carrier) from the factory to the railyard then go by Railcar. Seems to be the common scenario anyway.
Hmm no call from Dealer today, I will drop by tomorrow (Closed) and snoop around see what I can find [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 3/11/06, 07:00 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ March 11, 2006, 5:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hmm no call from Dealer today, I will drop by tomorrow (Closed) and snoop around see what I can find [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Daryl, you'll just be torturing yourself if you see her locked up behind the gate! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img]

And what dealer is closed on a Sunday?? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 3/11/06, 07:03 PM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ March 11, 2006, 9:03 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>And what dealer is closed on a Sunday?? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img][/b][/quote]Mine!
Old 3/11/06, 07:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Don't ask, but ALL dealerships in OK are closed on Sunday. No selling cars on Sundays [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ March 11, 2006, 8:03 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Daryl, you'll just be torturing yourself if you see her locked up behind the gate! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Yea I know but darn I want to see that car !! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 3/11/06, 07:46 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ March 11, 2006, 10:14 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I haven't looked myself, you're the first input on what the treads look like.

Are you going to tape the reservior or the cap threads?
[/b][/quote]
Okay, here's the skinny...

My brake reservior was leaking too! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] , at only 131 miles??

Here's a close-up pic of the threads/lock on the reservior.

I put 2 wraps of teflon tape on the reservior threads and tightened the cap on. It was a tighter fit for sure. That should put an end to the leak! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/11/06, 10:57 PM
GTR Member

I did the same thing today... 2 wraps.

I want to do a few headlight mods.

1. I want to make it so the grill driving lights DON'T go off when you turn on the high beams. I get flashed at night because people just assume I have the high beams on when they see 4 lights. Then when I flash them back, the center lights go out and I feel like I'm retreating to their wishes. Come across any threads here about doing this?

2. I want to get the Ford Daytime Running Light module. It's safer to drive with some sort of lights on and our cars have nothing. This module will turn on the headlights (without parking lights) at 75% when you turn on the key. There is a 30 second delay so there isn't a load on the starter. I would hook it up to the grill lights instead of the regular headlights. Now if you turn on your headlight during the day everything dims and it's harder to see the digital display and radio display (especially with sunglasses on). With this module, nothing dims when the lights are turned on. As soon as you pull the light switch out, power is cut from the module and all the lights work normally.
Old 3/11/06, 11:10 PM
GTR Member

Oh, can anybody come up with the torque spec for the fuel rail nuts/studs/bolts? That's what they are... looks like a nut, but turns out to be a bolt, with a stud sticking out the top to push on the wire holders!

You remove them to install the plenum cover so I'd like to put them back to factory specs...
Old 3/11/06, 11:17 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ March 11, 2006, 10:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I did the same thing today... 2 wraps.

I want to do a few headlight mods.

1. I want to make it so the grill driving lights DON'T go off when you turn on the high beams. I get flashed at night because people just assume I have the high beams on when they see 4 lights. Then when I flash them back, the center lights go out and I feel like I'm retreating to their wishes. Come across any threads here about doing this?

2. I want to get the Ford Daytime Running Light module. It's safer to drive with some sort of lights on and our cars have nothing. This module will turn on the headlights (without parking lights) at 75% when you turn on the key. There is a 30 second delay so there isn't a load on the starter. I would hook it up to the grill lights instead of the regular headlights. Now if you turn on your headlight during the day everything dims and it's harder to see the digital display and radio display (especially with sunglasses on). With this module, nothing dims when the lights are turned on. As soon as you pull the light switch out, power is cut from the module and all the lights work normally.
[/b][/quote]
This link may help with question #1.

I thought I've seen a topic somewhere about the Daytime Running Lights... sounds like a good thing. Most cars seemed to come with the daytime lights in the mid to late 90's, but now I don't see too many. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 3/11/06, 11:21 PM
GTR Member

I'll check out that link, thanks! Chevys, Saturns, and the like, turn on the front parking lights during the day automatically. It's kinda dumb, but it IS something.

White for some reason disappears easily into the sun, but with lights on there is no missing the car... could save a car from pulling out in front of me when the sun is behind me.
Old 3/11/06, 11:57 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ March 11, 2006, 10:13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Oh, can anybody come up with the torque spec for the fuel rail nuts/studs/bolts? That's what they are... looks like a nut, but turns out to be a bolt, with a stud sticking out the top to push on the wire holders!

You remove them to install the plenum cover so I'd like to put them back to factory specs...
[/b][/quote]
I tried looking for a torque spec (even in other forums), but no luck.
Do let me know when you find out the torque value.
Old 3/12/06, 12:23 AM

Tom (and everyone):
Just about everyone's strut bearing cap studs (visible in your engine bay strut tower) is starting to or shows rust in the majority of 05 (even some 06) engine bay pics I've seen.

If you're intending to show off your engine bay, this may be an eye sore.

Couple solutions are to put billet caps on them (cool, but pricey) or wipe the studs down with a corrosion inhibitor every once in a while (ie. WD-40 or equivelant).

I'm trying option 2 and see how it goes.

Goal is to keep it looking like this forever! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Old 3/12/06, 05:24 AM

Without a car to check out yet....couple of things on the brake reservoir. Is there a diaphram gasket inside the cap? And Bill in your shot it looks like a little yellow spot in the middle of the cap. Is that a wher the fluid is coming from? Most systems I have seen use a diaphram gasket that moves as fluid is displaced from the res to the calipers. There is usually a tiny hole in the cap that allows this movement without contaminating the fluid. Just wondering.. Seems is this is a common problem there should be a TSB. One way yo get one cranked up!! Happy Sunday!
Old 3/12/06, 06:49 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red & Shantel @ March 12, 2006, 4:27 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Without a car to check out yet....couple of things on the brake reservoir. Is there a diaphram gasket inside the cap? And Bill in your shot it looks like a little yellow spot in the middle of the cap. Is that a wher the fluid is coming from?
[/b][/quote]
Red, I know what you're speaking of and this design is not it.

The yellow mark on top of the reservior cap is just that, a mark (from the factory). I noticed a few little marks like that in various locations in the engine bay. Dunno the point of them. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

There is a small diaphram on the inside of the cap and a flat rubber seal that contacts the top section of the reservior neck. It's supposed to keep the fluid in, but obviously is letting some seep by.

Didn't see any TSB's addressing this, 2005 or 2006. Few members of 05's here have had the cap replaced by the dealer, for some it helped, others not.

Past posts:
post 1
post 2

Sorry for the blurry pic, didn't realize it til I downloaded it.

Quick Reply: Ponies on order