2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Paint Quality (Particularly Black)

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/04 | 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Originally posted by StevenJ@July 30, 2004, 3:33 PM
I heard in England they don't bother pulling over people for stop sign tickets or other misc. traffic misdemanors. I heard they now use cameras which take pictures of your license number and they mail you the ticket to your home/ apartment.
Automated speedtraps? Oh yeah, and not just in the UK. They're all over Europe. It's actually quite interesting from a technology point of view. The photo's are automatically processed by a system that locates the licence plate and generates the ticket using the national registration database.

Actually the newest development they're working on is replacing the analog cameras in them with digitals that are networked directly into the main computer. Disgusting but still interesting technology.

Which makes for interesting reply technology too btw. Since radar detectors have now been forbidden by law almost everywhere in Europe the latest gizmo over here is a GPS based speed trap locator. It's a small device the size of a regular radar detector with a built in GPS receiver that constantly compares the current position of the vehicle with a database of GPS coordinates of know fixed automated speedtraps. It beeps when you get near one, pretty slick.

And it gets even better. VDO Dayton just released an update module for their GPS navigation system with the same technology. So it will not only will tell you how to get somewhere but warn for speed traps underway as well

Btw are there no fixed speed traps in the US?
Old 7/30/04 | 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Eric B+July 30, 2004, 9:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Eric B @ July 30, 2004, 9:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-StevenJ@July 30, 2004, 3:33 PM
I heard in England they don't bother pulling over people for stop sign tickets or other misc. traffic misdemanors. I heard they now use cameras which take pictures of your license number and they mail you the ticket to your home/ apartment.
Automated speedtraps? Oh yeah, and not just in the UK. They're all over Europe. It's actually quite interesting from a technology point of view. The photo's are automatically processed by a system that locates the licence plate and generates the ticket using the national registration database.

Actually the newest development they're working on is replacing the analog cameras in them with digitals that are networked directly into the main computer. Disgusting but still interesting technology.

Which makes for interesting reply technology too btw. Since radar detectors have now been forbidden by law almost everywhere in Europe the latest gizmo over here is a GPS based speed trap locator. It's a small device the size of a regular radar detector with a built in GPS receiver that constantly compares the current position of the vehicle with a database of GPS coordinates of know fixed automated speedtraps. It beeps when you get near one, pretty slick.

And it gets even better. VDO Dayton just released an update module for their GPS navigation system with the same technology. So it will not only will tell you how to get somewhere but warn for speed traps underway as well

Btw are there no fixed speed traps in the US? [/b][/quote]
As far as my experience no. Cops actually bother to pull you over for misdemeanors. I know from experience. I got pulled over for running a stop sign ! I mean, give me a break! It was at night, in a small neighboorhood and the sign was hidden by bushes! It was ridiculous. Well I guess that makes us a bit old fashioned in the U.S.
Old 3/9/05 | 11:15 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Well I am re-invigorating this thread after sooo long. I have a black GT and I have finally discovered something about the new stang that I am very unhappy with

Man the paint job is terrible. Its so thin a piece of bark coming off the road at 35mph chipped the paint.

Usually when you get a chip there is a ridge between the paint and the primer- usually there is an undercoat between the paint and metal. On the stang it appears they didnt undercoat (primer) at all. When theres a chip you can see bare metal immediately. In 1-1/2 weeks I have two chips showing bare metal from low speed small impacts.. I am not a happy camper. I'm Starting to wonder if the new stang has been rushed out the door at the factory and they sacrificed a quality paint job. Not sure what to do about it.
Old 3/10/05 | 12:38 AM
GT Member

Not sure about black but my wife and I saw a torch red 05 the other day that looked VERY dull. Didn't look super dirty though. All I can think is that they don't know how to wash it. It looked hazy...like a film on it. Very plastic looking, like an old paint job. I was surprised because my 00' Gt has held up very well paintwise (Crystal White Clearcoat). I cannot imagine much has changed in the paint department. Had to be owner error, but sad because the car was brand new.
Old 3/10/05 | 10:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I have a 99 black GT and it also had the problems with cracks appearing on the top surface where the sun would hit the most. It was garage kept, but still had to be parked in the sun from time to time. I love the black color, it is hard to keep clean, but looks great when it is.

The worst part about black is it will show every nick, dent, etc you get on it. ... and you will get one sooner or later from some old lady leaving her cart and it rolling downhill into your car and ... :angry:

Moving on, I love the black but will be getting sonic blue this time around. I will eventually get it painted like swingle007 as I love his and that black and blue combination will look great.

However, as many have pointed out, it is a new facility and more care is taken in painting them now. It is mostly computer controlled, everyone has to wear suits and the dust/air is controlled in the area. I know this from relatives who work there.

That said, many car dealers are using less and less coats of paint than they did in the past, hence why one chip shows up really bad. The reason is from the bean counters, over a 1000+ cars the savings add up. That is why I will be investing in X-pel, lots of wax, and maybe the mud flaps as well.

Good luck with whatever choices you make in colors. Insurance is not affected by the color, however red does draw attention and it has been tested that the color red does make people more aggressive. That is why some cops will be drawn to the red as well, that and they stick out so well.

If you get one of the new Mustangs just expect to get noticed anyways, they look so different from every other wedge shaped or blocky SUV out there. That is why I like it!