2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Paint Quality (Particularly Black)

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/04 | 10:17 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Pred8tor@Jun. 3rd, 2004, 4:29 PM
Does anyone here have experience with Ford's black clearcoat paint on a Ford model released in the last few years? I read a comment that indicated a problem with the black paint finish. Since black is high on my list, I'd like to know if there's been any problems.
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet ?!?!?!?!

Forget about past stangs. The new one is being built at AAI with state of the art painting facilities. Using the old plant's paint quality to predict that of the 05 is weak at best.
Old 6/3/04 | 10:28 PM
GT Member

My 1965 Mustang GT Convertible was Black, my 1996 Cobra Vert is black, and let me tell you this.

The car will look good at the lot, but once you start driving it a little while, you'll be fighting swirl marks for the rest of the time you own the car.

If you like waxing, polishing, buffing, and dusting, get a black car. If you like to drive your car without having to detail it all the time, don't get black.

I also agree with Dan here. You can't compare state of the art paint facilities to the past painting on the Mustang.

If you are in love with black, get it, but it took me 30 years to forget the pain before I purchased another black car, and I'll never own another one again. (or at least until my pain subsides, and in another 20 years, I may want another one.
Old 6/3/04 | 10:34 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Shelby Roadster@Jun. 4th, 2004, 12:31 AM
My 1965 Mustang GT Convertible was Black, my 1996 Cobra Vert is black, and let me tell you this.

The car will look good at the lot, but once you start driving it a little while, you'll be fighting swirl marks for the rest of the time you own the car.

If you like waxing, polishing, buffing, and dusting, get a black car. If you like to drive your car without having to detail it all the time, don't get black.

I also agree with Dan here. You can't compare state of the art paint facilities to the past painting on the Mustang.

If you are in love with black, get it, but it took me 30 years to forget the pain before I purchased another black car, and I'll never own another one again. (or at least until my pain subsides, and in another 20 years, I may want another one.
That's a good direction for this post to move towards..... color characteristics.

For paint quality....take a look at the Mazda 6's. Looks excellent from what I've seen.
Old 6/4/04 | 12:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

What about yellow...make that SCREAMING yellow..I thought red and yellow were racing colors.

Black?

Mustangs have more than 1 color that look good with the car.
Old 6/4/04 | 02:52 AM
GT Member

Theres just something about a black mustang, after a good wash\wax....
Old 6/4/04 | 03:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Plus, getting a black or red car is going to raise your insurance, not to metion get cops seeing you as more of a potential speeder, adding up to more tickets. It's a fact that insurance companies and cops see red and black cars as "race cars", so I'd stay away from black, even if the paint was great.

Wrong. Black does not raise insurance...
Old 6/4/04 | 04:35 AM
GT Member

I'm going with the sonic blue and all black interior. I just love the way the big red backlights go in combination with the blue. Unlike the black, which I also find a bit dull. And of course, every time you show your car to someone, they'll say: "you need to wash it." That will bug the heck out of me

Blue is the ultimate color for not showing dirt. Unless its birdcrrap or something. Stupid birds.

But I WILL wash it every weekend no matter what color
Old 6/4/04 | 06:52 AM

Originally posted by BLAKE+Jun. 3rd, 2004, 2:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BLAKE @ Jun. 3rd, 2004, 2:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-acadian@Jun. 3rd, 2004, 2:51 PM
I heard from a number of people on here that Ford's black is not all that great. Plus, getting a black or red car is going to raise your insurance, not to metion get cops seeing you as more of a potential speeder, adding up to more tickets. It's a fact that insurance companies and cops see red and black cars as "race cars", so I'd stay away from black, even if the paint was great.
If you base a Mustang purchase on color and what insurance and cops think, you should just give up now and buy a sensible Corrola. [/b][/quote]
haha.. yah and if you do get a mustang, ill trade u my 1992 corrola for it (13 inch rims baby!)
Old 6/4/04 | 07:07 AM
I Have No Life

I don't know about the US but insurance companies in Canada do ask about the colour of your car because they need to put the colour information on your vehicle registration.

As for the colour black, I have had 3 black cars as well as red, blue, and silver. As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with black finishes on cars, however, since black covers better than any other colour they use less paint on the black cars, less than half than a red car. Then again, that really doesn't matter because they put the same amount of clearcoat over top as they would any other colour.

My 97 GT Atlantic Blue has some orange peel effect near the back fender but I wasn't too worried about it. I would rather live with a small factory defect than an aftermarket paint job anyday.
Old 6/4/04 | 07:25 AM
GT Member

The insurance company has the VIN. Their computer tells them everything about that car, or at least that's what Progressive told me. I'm with Geico now, and neither company cared about the color. I do get cards every 6 months from them to fill in any mods I make (over $1000).

I've never liked black. It takes so much attention to make it look good, and after a few years there are swirls and stone chips. God forbid if you don't know any better and use regular wax instead of black wax. Give me red any day.
Old 6/4/04 | 07:35 AM
Bullitt Member

My sister has a black 98 esscort and the paint looks good I mean it could look better but she doesn't take care of it the way she should. But once you give it a wax it looks great
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Paint quality overall has gotten worse in the last few years, especially in regards to "orange peel". I've noticed this on several vehicles from several manufacturers though; it's not isolated to Ford.

Funny, though. Classic Mustang judges count off for orange peel, yet all Mustangs come from Ford with tons of it!

Yeah, but black with dark tinted windows looks good! Plus, with the dark bullit wheels, I think that would be awesome. It's a hard combo to pass up.
Old 6/4/04 | 07:36 AM
Bullitt Member

WELL I GUESS I'LL BE BUFFING OUT MINE
Old 6/4/04 | 08:18 AM
GTR Member

Slightly off topic i know, but.......

Here the motorway police play "Snooker" with the cars. If you know how scoring works, (1 for red, 7 for black, you gotta score a red before you can attampt a colour ball) you will see thet the police will pull a red car, then a black, then a red and so on. They will only very rarely pull a white car because potting the white is a foul and their break is over. I am in a high risk car (Blue, so 5 points). I could cope with a zinc yellow B) (2 points so less favourable to the rozza's). So that is my two cents worth.

If you understood it, great. If you didn't, just ignore it!!!!

James

Old 6/4/04 | 08:59 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy@Jun. 4th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Slightly off topic i know, but.......

Here the motorway police play "Snooker" with the cars. If you know how scoring works, (1 for red, 7 for black, you gotta score a red before you can attampt a colour ball) you will see thet the police will pull a red car, then a black, then a red and so on. They will only very rarely pull a white car because potting the white is a foul and their break is over. I am in a high risk car (Blue, so 5 points). I could cope with a zinc yellow B) (2 points so less favourable to the rozza's). So that is my two cents worth.

If you understood it, great. If you didn't, just ignore it!!!!

James

Boy, gotta respect your local/state police don't cha.
Old 6/4/04 | 09:00 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Glad Ford is using Screaming Yellow now. It is one of the nicest I've ever seen.

Also, there is no way I'd let insuracne dictate my colour choice. Some companies charge extra, some don't it seems. Either way, if I'm paying almost $30,000 for a car, I'm going to get my favorite colour!
Old 6/4/04 | 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

:notnice: Ford paint quality sucks, even as of recently. As mentioned a few posts ago, many new Ford cars (not just the Mustang) have serious problems with orange peel. Also the paint is too darn easy to scratch, its real thin. My Dodge which was 10 years older than my 2000 Mustang had an overall better paint job then my Mustang does!
Old 6/4/04 | 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Pred8tor@Jun. 3rd, 2004, 2:29 PM
Does anyone here have experience with Ford's black clearcoat paint on a Ford model released in the last few years? I read a comment that indicated a problem with the black paint finish. Since black is high on my list, I'd like to know if there's been any problems.
Hi guys, I've been lurking for a while but had to register because of this post. I think I know what the issue is with the black paint because I have the problem on my 2001 expedition and have heard similar problems from others with black Fords. The paint tends to be soft or possibly not fully cured. This leads to several problems. I noticed after about 1 to 2 years that there were small cracks in the paint and as time goes by they get worse. They are mostly on the upper surfaces that are exposed to direct sunlight, meaning hood, upper fenders and roof. I have had two spots where the paint has flaked off already and the edges around the door handels are flaking as well. I know something is not right with the paint and it seems to have an unusually thick clear coat on it. I live in South Florida and the sun here is brutal. :bang: My Mustang has a quarter sized spot on the top of the rear bumper that looks similar but more like tiny circular scratches that just appared and is not from a lack of paint care on my part. Fortunately that is the only paint flaw on the stang. I would really be interested to know if you or anyone else has these "cracks" in the paint as well or flaking around the handles.
Old 6/4/04 | 10:25 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by rm2000@Jun. 4th, 2004, 10:17 AM
:notnice: Ford paint quality sucks, even as of recently. As mentioned a few posts ago, many new Ford cars (not just the Mustang) have serious problems with orange peel. Also the paint is too darn easy to scratch, its real thin. My Dodge which was 10 years older than my 2000 Mustang had an overall better paint job then my Mustang does!
All paint quality now sucks. Your 10 year old car has better quality because they used better quality 10 years ago. Not just ford sucks, even imports have poor quality paint.

Quick Reply: Paint Quality (Particularly Black)