2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Paint Quality (Particularly Black)

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/04, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone here have experience with Ford's black clearcoat paint on a Ford model released in the last few years? I read a comment that indicated a problem with the black paint finish. Since black is high on my list, I'd like to know if there's been any problems.
Old 6/3/04, 02:30 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Wifes Explorer is black. Looks pretty good to me. Haven't noticed any problems.
Old 6/3/04, 02:32 PM
Bullitt Member

in the pictures the black looked dull .. i dont know.. i want to be seen so ill probably choose another color
Old 6/3/04, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by MeanStang@Jun. 3rd, 2004, 4:35 PM
in the pictures the black looked dull .. i dont know.. i want to be seen so ill probably choose another color
I've got a '98 black Ranger, and it looks better in person than in pictures, so I don't worry about the pics.

I've got some spots on my hood that I can't get out, but I don't know if that's my fault or the paint. And it's been a while since '98, so things probably have improved since then.
Old 6/3/04, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by MeanStang@Jun. 3rd, 2004, 3:35 PM
Black shows dirt much more readily then other colors. Get a coat of dust on it, and it'll show pretty easily in photos.

In person, my wifes does not look dull -- but it could still use a coat of wax.

EDIT: My wifes Explorer can be seen in one of the pictures if you click "View My Mach 1" below in my signature. It was a bit dirty at the time the picture was taken, so use it for what it's worth.
Old 6/3/04, 02:48 PM
FR500 Member

I heard from a number of people on here that Ford's black is not all that great. Plus, getting a black or red car is going to raise your insurance, not to metion get cops seeing you as more of a potential speeder, adding up to more tickets. It's a fact that insurance companies and cops see red and black cars as "race cars", so I'd stay away from black, even if the paint was great. Plus, really hard to keep it clean. I'm going with the Mineral Grey. I've seen it on 2001-2003 Mustangs... it's a sleek color.
Old 6/3/04, 02:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Black just like silver is a color you have to take car of once you let it go there is almost no getting it back
Old 6/3/04, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by acadian@Jun. 3rd, 2004, 3:51 PM
I heard from a number of people on here that Ford's black is not all that great. Plus, getting a black or red car is going to raise your insurance, not to metion get cops seeing you as more of a potential speeder, adding up to more tickets. It's a fact that insurance companies and cops see red and black cars as "race cars", so I'd stay away from black, even if the paint was great. Plus, really hard to keep it clean. I'm going with the Mineral Grey. I've seen it on 2001-2003 Mustangs... it's a sleek color.
Color doesn't have anything to do with insurance for most companies. They just don't care.

And, why would Black be considered a sports car? Not trying to be arguementaive, but many black cars are the furthest thing FROM a sports car. I'd think Silver was a more classic sports car color (considering Porsche, etc.) I've heard the red myth before, but NEVER black.

"The jury is out on this one. 'I can't speak for everyone else, but GEICO doesn't use color as a determining factor.' "
Old 6/3/04, 02:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by acadian@Jun. 3rd, 2004, 2:51 PM
I heard from a number of people on here that Ford's black is not all that great. Plus, getting a black or red car is going to raise your insurance, not to metion get cops seeing you as more of a potential speeder, adding up to more tickets. It's a fact that insurance companies and cops see red and black cars as "race cars", so I'd stay away from black, even if the paint was great.
If you base a Mustang purchase on color and what insurance and cops think, you should just give up now and buy a sensible Corrola.
Old 6/3/04, 02:58 PM
FR500 Member

I agree with you, DJ... I just wanted to mention that because my wife's friends was just calling around for insurance quotes on her car. It's red... supposedly insurance companies raise your rate because of the color being red or black. Got me. And my brother-in-law is a cop... he told me that color can be the difference between a ticket... mentioning red and black. Hey, I don't agree, just tellin' ya'll what I heard. Black is a fine color... if it wasn't so hot down here, I'd think about getting it. I have heard Ford's black paint has issues though.
Old 6/3/04, 03:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
It is my understanding that paint quality is affected by the surface preparation and the cleanliness of the paint facility. Since the car is being built at AAI, I would advise looking at a black Mazda 6 to see what you might be getting.

My 2000 GT was black, and I only noted a small spot because of dirt. After 2 years, I did not notice any appreciable change other than rock chips. I did have to have my front bumper re-painted for peeling, but that is because of the surface preparation. By the way, at a recent tour of DAP before it closed, we were told an outside supplier painted the bumpers for the SN-95 Mustangs.

Can anyone define what the issues are with black?
Old 6/3/04, 03:18 PM
FR500 Member

Tony... I don't really know. There was a post up a while back and people who had black Fords were complaining about the paint. I personally have never owned a black car, because of it being so hot down here in New Orleans. So, you can't really trust me on the subject... just what I heard.
Old 6/3/04, 05:06 PM
V6 Member

I've a black 97 GT and the bumpers do have faded spots on them. However, the rest of the paint looks fine. Nothing I wouldn't expect from a seven yaer old car though. I personally love black, but you do have to keep it clean. Any dirt and rock chips show up really well. If you have a garage, black almost requires that you keep it in there or at least invest in a good car cover. As far as insurance, mine doesn't show any increase due to it's color. I was also pulled over by an unmarked police car for doing 85 mph in a 65 mph zone, but I didn't get a ticket. I don't think I was singled out because my car was black. More likely, because I was passing everyone else. Yes, I know I was lucky. I really don't have a problem with black, for me personally, its my favorite and I'll get an 05 in black as well.
Old 6/3/04, 05:15 PM
Banned

Red is proven more likely to attract a car theif, however insurance companies will not ask what color your car is.
Old 6/3/04, 05:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Tony Alonso@Jun. 3rd, 2004, 4:11 PM
It is my understanding that paint quality is affected by the surface preparation and the cleanliness of the paint facility. Since the car is being built at AAI, I would advise looking at a black Mazda 6 to see what you might be getting.

My 2000 GT was black, and I only noted a small spot because of dirt. After 2 years, I did not notice any appreciable change other than rock chips. I did have to have my front bumper re-painted for peeling, but that is because of the surface preparation. By the way, at a recent tour of DAP before it closed, we were told an outside supplier painted the bumpers for the SN-95 Mustangs.

Can anyone define what the issues are with black?
The paint on the SN95s has always been very easy to scratch and super-thin. The black has been rather brownish on mustangs. The newer-gen trucks have been excellent. They are going from the oldest to the newest plant, it should be pretty good.
Old 6/3/04, 05:42 PM
GT Member

My black 95 gt had some problems. The clearcoat was flaking off in front of the headlights, and on the rear bumper, and spoiler. I always kept it clean and waxed (liquid glass) and it was garage kept.
Old 6/3/04, 06:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am on my third Black GT and have never had one single problem with the paint. My current 94GT gets looks all the time and people are surprised when I tell them that the car is ten plus years old. The hard part about black is keeping it clean, obviously!
Insurance companies could care less what color your car is and I don't believe the cops give a rats hiney either but Black does have it's advantages though, very good resale value!
Old 6/3/04, 07:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on my second 99+ and havn't had any complaints with the paint that I don't see on every other colored Mustang. The orange peel sucks though.
Old 6/3/04, 07:35 PM
GT Member

Well, black looks great when it is clean, but it shows dirt very easily. Also, when they salt the streets in the winter, that really shows on black. Just what I have noticed
Old 6/3/04, 07:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the mineral grey would look great by all means, but HOW ON EARTH COULD YOU DECIDE TO NOT USE DARK SHADDOW GREY.......CRIPES, with the red interior.......

Quick Reply: Paint Quality (Particularly Black)