2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Paint Quality (Particularly Black)

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/04, 11:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I followed a new Black Mazda 6 yesterday. Seemed to be great quality. But like I said it was new. Unfortunately, won't see any problems for years.

On the question of poor quality paint.
Where does the poor quality and peeling and blanching come from?
Is it the base coat or the clear coat?
How many coats of clear coat does the factory put on?
Old 6/9/04, 11:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Saturn is always demonstrating the way you can bang their cars and not damage them. What kind of paint is on them - or isn't that a conventional paint?
Old 6/10/04, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Let my say this i have a 1990 Probe and for the amount of years on the paint it looks awsome. But then again I take good care of my stuff.
Old 6/10/04, 10:29 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Nazgul@June 10, 2004, 12:27 AM
Saturn is always demonstrating the way you can bang their cars and not damage them. What kind of paint is on them - or isn't that a conventional paint?
they have polymer (plastic) side panels, which have a little more "give" to prevent small dents.

They may add more flex. agent to keep the paint from cracking if it gets hit.
Old 6/12/04, 11:56 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by rm2000@June 4, 2004, 10:17 AM
:notnice: Ford paint quality sucks, even as of recently. As mentioned a few posts ago, many new Ford cars (not just the Mustang) have serious problems with orange peel. Also the paint is too darn easy to scratch, its real thin. My Dodge which was 10 years older than my 2000 Mustang had an overall better paint job then my Mustang does!
I so totally agree with this!!! I have mentioned in this forum awhile back about the left side of my 2000 "BLACK" Mustang being repainted due to an old woman, who doesn't know how to drive turning left into it, anyways....(still haveing anger issues with that, not that you can tell :angry: ) The car was only about a month old & so It's not like I tried to repaint half of a 68 & not do the rest of it, but thats what it looks like. The original factory paint is so faded that it looks blue. Paid to have it detailed, through my dealer & it looked good for about 2 months & looks like crap again. It sits in the sun at work but I keep it in the garage whenever it is not being drivin. I would love to order my 2005 in black as it looks but I will not have a brand new car that looks 10 years old. Someone mentioned that the Satin Silver is hard to keep looking new. Is this true because that is what I'm probably gonna order (possible today) since Charcoal Grey is not an option for the 05?
My daughter has a Black 99 Ford Focus & her paint hasn't seemed to fade like mine. Is there anything Ford has done to fix this problem as they must have changed paint or they way they apply it between these years? Would like to know but still don't think I can trust them with the Black.
Old 6/12/04, 12:20 PM

I Have A black colored cobra. I haven't hade any problems with it so far. If you want to maintain it's Black beauty, try waxing it. There Are two types of wax: one for light colors, And one for dark colors.
Old 6/12/04, 03:47 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Tom_GT500@June 12, 2004, 12:23 PM
I Have A black colored cobra. I haven't hade any problems with it so far. If you want to maintain it's Black beauty, try waxing it. There Are two types of wax: one for light colors, And one for dark colors.
What year is your Cobra? I have some wax that I bought from the guy who repainted my car that he uses so I know that is made for black. It is pure carnuba (spelling) yellow wax. I use a buffer on so it looks good for a little while but not long. The body shop paint still looks brand new so I know that it is bad factory paint. I need to do something as I plan on trading it in for the 2005.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 6/13/04, 11:33 AM

My Cobra's year is 2001. It's 3 years old. The Wax you have should be working. I also have the yellow Carnuba yellow. when you ues the buffer, try not to use it so much. Because you could burn the paint
Old 6/13/04, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

dave_bought_another_black_stang's Avatar

I have had three mustangs since 96 all black and they all dulled and swirl scratched despite meticulous handling using meguiars 3 step system and always hand washing with only the best supplies....It has made me decide to not get black again. And this time I mean it.
Dave
Old 6/13/04, 09:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by vega@June 4, 2004, 6:38 AM
Blue is the ultimate color for not showing dirt. Unless its birdcrrap or something. Stupid birds.

But I WILL wash it every weekend no matter what color
In my experience... Birds seem to crap on blue more than all other colors that friends, family or I have owned.
Old 6/13/04, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

you mean you guys actually wash and wax your cars? never owned black.. currently have dark blue, waxed maybe once in 3 yrs no probs.

then again maybe since i never wash it i cant see the probs.
Old 6/13/04, 10:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Old 6/13/04, 11:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by hdwrench@June 13, 2004, 9:14 PM
you mean you guys actually wash and wax your cars?
Ouch. Yeah, I wash mine once a month (twice in the summer) and wax it twice a year. When it's brand new, you can go several years without waxing and not notice... it isn't until the car is about 10 years old that you see what the result of not waxing very often is. What clearcoat?

Dave
Old 6/24/04, 04:21 PM

I don't think orange peel is limited to Ford. My Onyx Black '01 Alero has plenty of orange peel in the finish. So, don't feel bad.... you're not alone! The Aleros were assembled in Lansing.
Old 6/24/04, 09:53 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Excessive waxing and washing should void your paint warranty coverage.
Old 6/25/04, 06:31 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Originally posted by scottmandoo@June 24, 2004, 5:24 PM
I don't think orange peel is limited to Ford. My Onyx Black '01 Alero has plenty of orange peel in the finish. So, don't feel bad.... you're not alone! The Aleros were assembled in Lansing.
With production cars there will always be a certain degree of orange peel.

There are so many variables in automotive painting that result in poor finishes. Their primary goal is to avoid runs, fisheyes and dust in the paint.

I am happy with the Mustang moving to AAI it should have a much more modern paint shop and reduce some of the problems it had at dearborn (runs, thin paint, etc.)
Old 6/25/04, 08:47 AM

Is it me or do MOST cars companies use the same paint company... only different mixes.
Old 6/25/04, 09:01 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Originally posted by MustangSteve007@June 25, 2004, 9:50 AM
Is it me or do MOST cars companies use the same paint company... only different mixes.
As far as I know, most car companies use PPG paint, I am sure they use PPG e-coat as they have a huge chunk of the market share. I did work in the automotive painting industry for a short time, so I did pick some knowledge up.

The key with paint is the mixture and the equipment. All new paint facilities have paint booth areas which are totally climate controlled (temperature, humidity, etc) These areas are usually sealed off and any workers entering have to wear special clothing and go through air showers to remove dust. With conditions like this it is easy to formulate the paint to be consistent.
Old 7/30/04, 12:25 PM

Sorry to dig up the old thread, but I wanted to make a note on the "orange peel" effect people have been seeing. I was next to a brand new Porsche Cayenne Turbo today at a stoplight, and it had extremely noticeable orange-peel on every surface I could see. One would expect from a $70,000+ vehicle to get a decent paint job. If Porsche can't get it mirror-smooth these days, I'm not sure how well Ford will manage.
Old 7/30/04, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy@June 4, 2004, 2:21 PM
Slightly off topic i know, but.......

Here the motorway police play "Snooker" with the cars. If you know how scoring works, (1 for red, 7 for black, you gotta score a red before you can attampt a colour ball) you will see thet the police will pull a red car, then a black, then a red and so on. They will only very rarely pull a white car because potting the white is a foul and their break is over. I am in a high risk car (Blue, so 5 points). I could cope with a zinc yellow B) (2 points so less favourable to the rozza's). So that is my two cents worth.

If you understood it, great. If you didn't, just ignore it!!!!

James

(A bit off topic)

I heard in England they don't bother pulling over people for stop sign tickets or other misc. traffic misdemanors. I heard they now use cameras which take pictures of your license number and they mail you the ticket to your home/ apartment.

Quick Reply: Paint Quality (Particularly Black)