2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Paint Quality (Particularly Black)

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/04 | 10:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

yeah paint isnt that good right now. my orange gt has orange peel. but it looks great from a distange even upto a few inches. but if you look close and know what you are looking at. it is so obvious. and for insurance ive never seen anything for paying more for a certain color car. i guess orange isnt on the PD's score tracker! HAHA i can speed through your town all i want! :nono:
Old 6/4/04 | 10:43 AM
GT Member

Anyone hear about the new paint GM is trying? I guess it's supposed to be similar in process to powder coating and it is supposed to wear better, be more durable to scratches and such, and easier to clean in the factory. That shoud also help eliminate those "alternate colors". The way I heard it is they are trying it on the new Cobalts. I wonder if Ford would consider anything like that.
Old 6/4/04 | 11:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy@Jun. 4th, 2004, 9:21 AM
Slightly off topic i know, but.......

Here the motorway police play "Snooker" with the cars. If you know how scoring works, (1 for red, 7 for black, you gotta score a red before you can attampt a colour ball) you will see thet the police will pull a red car, then a black, then a red and so on. They will only very rarely pull a white car because potting the white is a foul and their break is over. I am in a high risk car (Blue, so 5 points). I could cope with a zinc yellow B) (2 points so less favourable to the rozza's). So that is my two cents worth.

If you understood it, great. If you didn't, just ignore it!!!!

James

Pretty smart cops there, here, they play UNO
Old 6/4/04 | 11:46 AM

Originally posted by kevinb120@Jun. 4th, 2004, 1:39 PM
Pretty smart cops there, here, they play UNO
Yeah, and here's a Draw 4 for you, Kevin!! :cop: The new color is green (as in cash!!!)

A good point was made about the new plant using new paint gear, so the quality will hopefully be better. At least comparing to previous paint jobs isn't really accurate.

I'm really having a tough time deciding on color. I really like the black, but the two reds are sharp, too. Then there's the Legend Lime, which brings back memories of my first car, a '67 Fastback that I should have never parted with.

I'm kinda glad I can't make a decision now! :scratch:
Old 6/4/04 | 12:35 PM
Cobra Member

The only color car I never tire of is black, and it has been my color of choice on the last 8+ cars I've owned. IMHO, no other color looks better clean, or worse when its dirty.

My '99 Mustang, which was black, did have quite a bit of paint flaking off the roof near the C pillars, but the resistance of the paint to watter spotting / acid rain etching was much better than the previous 2 black Hondas I've owned.

I would expect the 05's paint quality to be on par with Mazda 6's. I haven't looked at them very close, so I can't comment on their paint.

If you own a black car and want to minimize swirl marks, wash, wax, and dry the car in motions parallel with the body panels. Front to back on the hood, top, and trunk, and top to bottom on the sizes. It is absolutely amazing how much better this looks than following the directions on the products and using them in a circular motion.

If I buy an '05 it will be black.
Old 6/4/04 | 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by numenor27+Jun. 4th, 2004, 10:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (numenor27 @ Jun. 4th, 2004, 10:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rm2000@Jun. 4th, 2004, 10:17 AM
:notnice: Ford paint quality sucks, even as of recently. As mentioned a few posts ago, many new Ford cars (not just the Mustang) have serious problems with orange peel. Also the paint is too darn easy to scratch, its real thin. My Dodge which was 10 years older than my 2000 Mustang had an overall better paint job then my Mustang does!
All paint quality now sucks. Your 10 year old car has better quality because they used better quality 10 years ago. Not just ford sucks, even imports have poor quality paint. [/b][/quote]
Really? Feel free to educate me. Is the process or the parts that is degrading the quality? Seems stupid to me as a bad paint job can really detract from a car's overall appearance.
Old 6/4/04 | 02:49 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by acadian@Jun. 3rd, 2004, 2:51 PM
Plus, getting a black or red car is going to raise your insurance, not to metion get cops seeing you as more of a potential speeder, adding up to more tickets. It's a fact that insurance companies and cops see red and black cars as "race cars",

I'm going with the Mineral Grey. I've seen it on 2001-2003 Mustangs... it's a sleek color.
Who told you cops look at black and red and write tickets based on the color of a car. My radar displays speeds in red but that is as close as color has anything to do with a ticket. It's also funny that my cousins ins didn't change one bit when he sold his 01 black GT and bought an 04 DSG GT.

I also don't think Mineral Grey was an option in 03... DSG is the grey for 03... like mine.
Old 6/4/04 | 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Trooper4985@Jun. 4th, 2004, 4:52 PM
Who told you cops look at black and red and write tickets based on the color of a car. My radar displays speeds in red but that is as close as color has anything to do with a ticket. It's also funny that my cousins ins didn't change one bit when he sold his 01 black GT and bought an 04 DSG GT.
Ugggghhh. Trooper, you made a great point about the color of the radar display versus the car color. But... when you said your cousin's insurance rate didn't "change one little bit" when he moved from a 2001 GT to a 2004 GT, you hurt your argument.

Either he is getting a great rate on the 04 GT, or else he was paying through the nose on the 01 BLACK GT, since the rate apparently stayed the same!
Old 6/4/04 | 04:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by vega@Jun. 4th, 2004, 3:38 AM
Blue is the ultimate color for not showing dirt. Unless its birdcrrap or something. Stupid birds.
Gonna hafta disagree there. I will most likely be getting a sonic blue myself, but the ultimate colour for not showing dirt on the mustang is by far mineral grey - it's practically the same colour as the dirt!
Old 6/4/04 | 04:47 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Decipher+Jun. 4th, 2004, 4:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Decipher @ Jun. 4th, 2004, 4:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vega@Jun. 4th, 2004, 3:38 AM
Blue is the ultimate color for not showing dirt. Unless its birdcrrap or something. Stupid birds.
Gonna hafta disagree there. I will most likely be getting a sonic blue myself, but the ultimate colour for not showing dirt on the mustang is by far mineral grey - it's practically the same colour as the dirt! [/b][/quote]
yeah grey hides dirt great
Old 6/4/04 | 04:48 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Originally posted by Pred8tor+Jun. 4th, 2004, 4:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pred8tor @ Jun. 4th, 2004, 4:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Trooper4985@Jun. 4th, 2004, 4:52 PM
Ugggghhh. Trooper, you made a great point about the color of the radar display versus the car color. But... when you said your cousin's insurance rate didn't "change one little bit" when he moved from a 2001 GT to a 2004 GT, you hurt your argument.

Either he is getting a great rate on the 04 GT, or else he was paying through the nose on the 01 BLACK GT, since the rate apparently stayed the same! [/b][/quote]
Ok boys relax...

Bright colors i.e. red and yellow attract attention because they stand out in the sea of bland grey and white cars. You might not necissarily get a ticket because of it, but you maybe will get pulled over for no reason except the police officer notices your car and decides to run your plates.

Color and Insurance.
Some companies and/or juristictions do have surcharges on their insurance for the color of your car. It may not be where you live, but it does exist.

Paint - I think it has gotten better in the last few years. PPG had some serious paint problems in the late 80's early 90's where it would peel clean off. Orange peel can be eliminated with proper paint setup. There are a lot of factors that affect paint quality, and with the old paint shop at the old Dearborn assembly probably had something to do with the poor finishes on Mustangs... I am sure this will change with the S197
Old 6/4/04 | 04:51 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by rm2000+Jun. 4th, 2004, 1:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rm2000 @ Jun. 4th, 2004, 1:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by numenor27@Jun. 4th, 2004, 10:28 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-rm2000
@Jun. 4th, 2004, 10:17 AM
:notnice: Ford paint quality sucks, even as of recently. As mentioned a few posts ago, many new Ford cars (not just the Mustang) have serious problems with orange peel. Also the paint is too darn easy to scratch, its real thin. My Dodge which was 10 years older than my 2000 Mustang had an overall better paint job then my Mustang does!

All paint quality now sucks. Your 10 year old car has better quality because they used better quality 10 years ago. Not just ford sucks, even imports have poor quality paint.
Really? Feel free to educate me. Is the process or the parts that is degrading the quality? Seems stupid to me as a bad paint job can really detract from a car's overall appearance. [/b][/quote]
It seems like the paint just doesnt withstand elements very well. It seems like it is thin. Once, I hit something going at about 1 mph, and it chipped the paint. Just seems thin to me
Old 6/4/04 | 05:14 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by gotmy05@Jun. 3rd, 2004, 2:52 PM
Black just like silver is a color you have to take car of once you let it go there is almost no getting it back
Black, once that starts fading, forget it. Truth is most people with black cars let the paint go to heck anyways.
Old 6/4/04 | 05:34 PM
GT Member

Silver is the easiest in my opinion. it takes severe neglect for it to look dirty. At least from 10 feet or more anyway.
Old 6/4/04 | 09:37 PM

I have had some experience with automotive paint. One of the problems plaguing domestic automakers particularly is the fact that black is a popular choice but the quality needed for black paint to sustain is very expensive. Ford black has had problems, but so have all the other domestics, with black paint deteriorating at a much faster rate that other paint colors. It especially has problems with fading, chipping, and the clearcoat being eaten through creating spots on the paint. This is something that is hard to overcome due to the fact that it would cost a lot more to paint it to the point that it would last as much as other popular colors. It would also incur costs in delaying the manufacturing of other colors, for the time it would take to administor the steps necessary to get black to that quality. Black looks the best clean but it is hard to keep the way. I am going to go with the Dark gray metallic.
Old 6/4/04 | 10:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I had a 2001 Harley Davidson F150. The black paint was just fine. Like most people have been saying, it shows the dirt and scratches more. IMO it looks better than any other color when it's clean. As far a orange peel goes, I do seem to notice a little more in black but that goes back to the fact black doesn't hide things as well as say gray. If you like black, get it. Just be prepared to wash it more.
:jedi:
Old 6/5/04 | 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

no problems here...check out the mistress for my black beauty
Old 6/6/04 | 01:08 AM
Bullitt Member

I've decided to get a black GT. And a slave to wash it daily. And a cute little girl in a Catholic school uniform with a feather duster to care for it before I race Vin and Paul on Saturday nights. And someone with a fire extinguisher to cool me down when my bum catches on fire because the black leather seats are 250 degrees in the So Cal sun. And a pair of asbestos gloves so I don't have to actually touch the black steering wheel.

"It is far better to look good than to feel good, daaahling." B)
Old 6/6/04 | 10:22 AM

black with red seats... i think this picture is the real deal. looks amazing
Old 6/6/04 | 10:28 AM
I'm people, and I like.

to all the people that have seen the legend lime:
does the quality of the paint seem excellent, or poor???

Quick Reply: Paint Quality (Particularly Black)