2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

More Quality Lapses

Search this Thread

Old 5/14/06, 06:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by incomingRPG
refers to Mark's opinion... "And more baseless criticism from the blindly biased."

the last several posts by BC, NDHESQ, TonyA, and Galaxie (posts 35-38) all make points that I think we can all agree with.
Generally I am not blindly biased and listen to opposing points of view...there is always something to be learned.

I really like Mustangs though...
Old 5/14/06, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Generally I am not blindly biased and listen to opposing points of view...there is always something to be learned.

I'd like to point out that my comment was not directed at you. You seem to have a very realistic viewpoint on this subject (unlike some others).
Old 5/14/06, 06:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Thank you for better articulating the point I was trying to make before the flame war began.
No flame war...a spirited discussion!

I love the new Stang, too - I expect to buy an '07 later this year - but it concerns me, frankly, to spend $40K (CDN) for any car only to have "plastic screw like plugs routinely work themselves loose." etc, etc - particularly in the first year or two of ownership.
Thank goodness for a warranty. Ford might benefit from extending it a year and extra miles!

It's a question of Ford being "penny-wise and pound-foolish" (for those familiar with that old saying) at a time when the competition is hammering them in quality perception...and more importantly, in sales.
I would love to hear the discussions that surrounded the decision making regarding some of the things we mentioned here. We really won't know who cut what budget, resulting in what we have seen here.

As you said, Galaxie, using the same plastic that's in the 500 in the Mustang as well, would not have added much to the car's overall cost - maybe a few hundred dollars at most. If you amortize that into a four or five year loan, it's peanuts. So again, the $$ argument just doesn't add up.
When you consider the Shaker 500 option costs over $500, one might say otherwise. Again, we really just don't know for sure. Frankly, I would love to have seen the Mustang GT priced around $23K US to start.

At this moment in Ford's history, I'm convinced that customer perception is > than cost cutting. Particularly when we're only talking about dash plastics and gluing carpets to the floor.
Yep, which is why Ford's newer cars have to look even richer.

Maybe Ford thinks Mustang buyers aren't very discerning overall, I dunno. It's baffling to me, really.
I suspect the marketers think we care about exterior style and performance most. They might be on to something there.
Old 5/14/06, 06:21 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
These are the threads I really enjoy reading, aside from direct personal attacks. While I tend to try and find postive where therein lies negativity, I think it's a healthy way to discuss topics, specifically relating to FMC.

Unfortunately in this internet environment 'typed text' can sometimes be misconstrued in more of a negative fashion. I, personally, am not trying to flame anyone. I am listening and pointing out other sides to the discussion. The next 18-24 months will be a telling time for FMC.
Old 5/14/06, 06:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
The next 18-24 months will be a telling time for FMC.
Indeed it will - I hope the company is financially healthy enough to bring us a better Mustang in the future.
Old 5/14/06, 07:00 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The next 18-24 months will be a telling time for FMC.
And THAT is a telling statement.

Just to show that I'm not picking on Ford - cause I'm only pointing out some potentially problematic oversights - I sat in the top-line 500, and I gotta say that overall, the interior is pretty much on par with any Camrys or Accords I've seen. Pretty nice altogether. I would have liked some of those textures and materials in the Stang, is all. (It's just unfortunate that the exterior of the 500 lacks the flair of the Chrysler 300, which is destroying the Ford sedan in sales.)

I wonder which car sells more by volume, the Stang or the 500...?
Old 5/14/06, 07:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso

I'd like to think that I am open-minded, listen and am always willing to learn something new. But I should be able to offer my point of view without getting flamed every time I do it. Some can flame me if they want, I really don't care. I like Mustangs too.
Old 5/14/06, 07:20 PM
Bullitt Member

These are the threads I really enjoy reading, aside from direct personal attacks. While I tend to try and find postive where therein lies negativity, I think it's a healthy way to discuss topics, specifically relating to FMC.

Unfortunately in this internet environment 'typed text' can sometimes be misconstrued in more of a negative fashion. I, personally, am not trying to flame anyone. I am listening and pointing out other sides to the discussion. The next 18-24 months will be a telling time for FMC.
Agreed
Old 5/14/06, 07:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'd like to think that I am open-minded, listen and am always willing to learn something new. But I should be able to offer my point of view without getting flamed every time I do it. Some can flame me if they want, I really don't care. I like Mustangs too.
Give me a break! You're the one that called those that disagree with you "blindly devoted" and their opinions "excuses". You discount other's opinions and then cry foul when someone turns the tables.
Old 5/14/06, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TomServo92
Yes, you're blind.

No pissing contest here. You asked me to post pics to prove your point. If you don't have the wherewithall to find them yourself, then the lazy tag still applies.
You've called me blind and lazy, and for several posts I have avoided responding to your personal attacks. Perhaps that why you never denied being a skunk.
Old 5/14/06, 08:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You've called me blind and lazy, and for several posts I have avoided responding to your personal attacks. Perhaps that why you never denied being a skunk.
Those are my responses to you based upon your posts and actions in this thread. I didn't respond to the "skunk" comment because I refuse to stoop to your level of immature name calling. As further evidence, you called someone a "moron" in another thread in the forum and forced the mods to shutdown the thread down so don't even dare go there with me regarding "personal attacks".
Old 5/14/06, 09:03 PM
FR500 Member

would u want this car to be over priced?? i wouldnt have been able to get it personally....im only a teenager, ill look into quality if i were going to buy a BMW or something along those lines
Old 5/14/06, 09:36 PM
GTR Member

I agree with Galaxie. The first thing I noticed about the car that I wasn't crazy about was the plastic used. It does scratch easily..especially on the upper doors. I spent over 30000 for this car.For some people,that may not be considered a lot,but to me it is a decent sum of money. however,I loved the exterior of this car 1st. The interior has grown on me...I'm am spending a **** load on billet accessories to make it a little nicer though. We are all fans of the Mustang or else we wouldn't be here on this forum. That being said ,"CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG DAMMIT!" Thank you and have a nice day
Old 5/14/06, 10:55 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by RaGsHoCkEy88
would u want this car to be over priced?? i wouldnt have been able to get it personally....im only a teenager, ill look into quality if i were going to buy a BMW or something along those lines
Out of the mouthes of babes.
Old 5/14/06, 10:57 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Boltzman
"CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG DAMMIT!"
Awwwww...where's the fun in that? Think LAPD, where "we treat you like a King."
Old 5/15/06, 07:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Old 5/15/06, 08:48 AM
FR500 Member

Out of the mouthes of babes.
im not a baby!!
Old 5/15/06, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Was looking closely at a GT on the lot today (lots of them on the lots these days, it seems), and noticed another - what I would consider egregious - example of cost-cutting that helps make my argument about how Ford only did a half-way job on this car.

Anybody with a GT, look up under the dash behind the pedals. Near as I could see, Ford couldn't be bothered to carpet the floor all the way up (you can see insulation), and worse yet, didn't properly tack or bolt the carpet down.

I mean, I know they've cut corners, I know they've deleted many convenience features, I know they used cheap plastic on the inside...but this is just plain sad. I've never see anything like this on any car before. Not to mention looking like crap, what happens when that whole thing gets dirty, and you find yourself having to vacuum insulation instead of carpet (??) or the carpet catches into your shoes or somehow gets caught up into the pedal mechanisms...?

To make matters worse, the Ford parts manager at the dealership - whose family are long-time Ford fans and performance nuts - candidly and quietly admitted to me that he has MAJOR issues with Ford quality, and says that it is still way, way behind.

Old 5/15/06, 09:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TomServo92
Those are my responses to you based upon your posts and actions in this thread. I didn't respond to the "skunk" comment because I refuse to stoop to your level of immature name calling. As further evidence, you called someone a "moron" in another thread in the forum and forced the mods to shutdown the thread down so don't even dare go there with me regarding "personal attacks".
Those are pretty strong accusations Mark, too bad NONE OF IT IS TRUE. You have your facts all wrong... http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=47185
My original post...The price of gas will change people's buying habits. (Yes, some of us will still buy our Mustang's.) But daily driven vehicles with long commutes will eventually change. Honda and Toyota are ready to meet that challenge today. Unfortunately, it will probably be years before the "domestic" manufacturers have an answer.

For that I was called a moron by jcopin...do you work for honda??
lol that sounds like a press release
the domestics have no tiny cars??
moron

My response to being called a Moron was...No, I don't work for Honda, personally I would not buy either, but I would praise Ford IF they had an answer. So are you trying to be Beavis or Butthead with the moron comment? Congratulations, I think you've succeeded!

Looks like you're trying to spray me like a skunk.
Old 5/15/06, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Was looking closely at a GT on the lot today (lots of them on the lots these days, it seems), and noticed another - what I would consider egregious - example of cost-cutting that helps make my argument about how Ford only did a half-way job on this car.

Anybody with a GT, look up under the dash behind the pedals. Near as I could see, Ford couldn't be bothered to carpet the floor all the way up (you can see insulation), and worse yet, didn't properly tack or bolt the carpet down.

I mean, I know they've cut corners, I know they've deleted many convenience features, I know they used cheap plastic on the inside...but this is just plain sad. I've never see anything like this on any car before. Not to mention looking like crap, what happens when that whole thing gets dirty, and you find yourself having to vacuum insulation instead of carpet (??) or the carpet catches into your shoes or somehow gets caught up into the pedal mechanisms...?

To make matters worse, the Ford parts manager at the dealership - whose family are long-time Ford fans and performance nuts - candidly and quietly admitted to me that he has MAJOR issues with Ford quality, and says that it is still way, way behind.

This is a good article that is related to this topic. Hopefully it will change some minds in here:

http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/bamw...11-autos.shtml

Quick Reply: More Quality Lapses