2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Journalist Rips '05 Mustang & "Cornfield"

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/04, 07:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impossible for the dealers to screw that up badly enough with 5k mark ups. Even they know that this is just a phase of the 05 Stang, and that once the cars are out in decent numbers, they will be happy with MSRP, and dealing in lower numbers to people in the know about the business.

It's all about supply and demand, and right now, it's a sellers market for the new stang.
Old 11/16/04, 08:48 PM
Cobra Member

Argh, what a pompous piece of---if this guy is from College for Creative Studies...they have lost one prospective student...

His response-
> Mr. Garfield,
>
> Let me begin by saying that I am a Graphic Design
> student and spent a semester learning about
> marketing.
> For a particular class, I prepared a marketing plan
> for the 2005 Mustang (not the 2004 Mustang, as
> either
> you or an editor say). I considered using Mr.
> McQueen
> in a series of ads, but felt he might not be be
> instantly recognized by the Business Major students
> that made up the majority of the class. EXACTLY.
> However, upon hearing comments upon the latest
> effort
> from J. Walter Thompson and Ford, I must say I was
> mistaken. Coworkers are asking when I take delivery
> of
> my 2005 Mustang, and when they can see it. Several
> web
> forums are abuzz with fans of the Pony discussing
> how
> they are in awe of this commercial. Dealers in the
> area cannot keep any 2005 Mustangs on the lot for
> more
> than a day (as few as two hours, in some cases.
> So, what if a viewer does not recognize Steve
> McQueen,
> has never seen "Bullitt" or "Field of Dreams"? The
> message that this is a fun, powerful car is instant.
IS IT? I DISAGREE.
> Next time, do not attempt to analyze the car or the
> company...instead, criticize the message, because
> that WELL, FRANK, THAT IS PRECISELY WHAT I DID. AND
I'M SURE YOU CAN SEE THAT HOW MUSTANG ENTHUSIASTS
REACT TO THE CAR -- OR EVEN THE ADS -- IS IRRELEVANT.
IT'S THE EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE TARGET THAT MATTERS.

> is where the money is made.

I got a pretty good return volley... I think I'll give it a go...

~If you had read closely, Mr. Garfield
Old 11/16/04, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

Mr. Garfield,

Thank you for your quick and frank reply.
I perhaps did not make myself clear in my first letter. In my examples given to you, I mentioned coworkers, and on-line enthuasists. Working in the IT department for my company, I can understand how my coworkers could get excited about the new Mac G5 or Star Wars video game, but about a car from a commercial they might not understand...that surprised me. At school, I have overheard conversations between students who may, I must confess, be Mustang fans, but the point is they are discussing the product. Let me make myself clear here, a group people were discussing the product. The classic word of mouth strategy...first you get the core buyer excited and then everyone else is hot to the idea.
The logic of having Steve McQueen in a Mustang commercial is as clear to me as having Frank Sinatra in a Thunderbird commercial or Luke and Bo in a Dodge Charger commercial. In my view, next time, go down to the point of sale and ask the buyers what they think.
I believe this commercial has hit the bullseye, the enthuasists,and the impact will carry over to the rest of the market.

--------------------------------

I also sent a copy to Mr. Crain, just for giggles...
I await for the sarcastic and less than informed reply
Old 11/16/04, 10:46 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

This may be way off topic, but...

As I was driving down Beach Blvd today, a screaming yellow 05 slid past me. I pointed it out to my daughter, who instantly peppered me with questions as to why I didnt order that color.

I came to stop at a red light, the 05 having pulled off Beach. As I sat at the light, there were two men in thier early 30's, chatting about the 05. They were in a Lexus. I heard the driver say, "they took the latter years of the 60s Mustang, and combined it into one car". His passenger replied, "I never liked Mustangs before, that was a really nice looking car. Isnt there a Ford dealership up ahead?" These guys were obviously not Stang enthusiasts, they werent breaking any laws to get a look at the car. They didnt seem overly excited about it, but were defintely chatting about it. Those guys are the kind of guys that would go home, and see the commerical, and be like, "hey, thats the car we saw today.."

Side note: Yeh, I was a bit miffed... I want my car! humph.
Old 11/17/04, 02:19 AM

LOL

Man I can't believe the bashing this guy is receiving because of his article. .

I bet he pulls his head out of his a** first before he writes another article on anything .

I think he started a fire that he can't put out with this one, lol.
Old 11/17/04, 02:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

After reading and rereading that article, I'm facinated about how annoyed this guy is about the new Mustang. He comes off like the guy that always wanted a Mustang, but never got one. Now he's mad at Ford, the Mustang and anyone that drives one.

The message that this is a fun, powerful car is instant.
IS IT? I DISAGREE.
Also, you have to question how good this guy is at his job:

Next time, do not attempt to analyze the car or the
> company...instead, criticize the message, because
> that WELL, FRANK, THAT IS PRECISELY WHAT I DID. AND
I'M SURE YOU CAN SEE THAT HOW MUSTANG ENTHUSIASTS
REACT TO THE CAR -- OR EVEN THE ADS -- IS IRRELEVANT.
IT'S THE EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE TARGET THAT MATTERS.
So basically, this guy polled two people, himself and his daughter, who didn't like/get the ad and basically stated that the ad is horrible and Ford will suffer for it. I would assume that he would be able to figure out that two people don't make a demographic and not everyone is going to like/want this vechile.

Plus, get your facts straight for an article. If I got some "minor" detail like that wrong in my job, no one would be able to get on the network.

Lastly, my wife didn't know who Steve McQueen was either....but she still liked the commercial. She got the whole "Field of Dreams" thing and just thought that Steve McQueen was some old school race car driver. What she was looking at though, was the Mustang. Last time I checked, Ford wasn't selling Steve McQueen.
Old 11/17/04, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by PaulF@November 17, 2004, 3:57 AM
Lastly, my wife didn't know who Steve McQueen was either....but she still liked the commercial. She got the whole "Field of Dreams" thing and just thought that Steve McQueen was some old school race car driver. What she was looking at though, was the Mustang. Last time I checked, Ford wasn't selling Steve McQueen.
That is exactly right. But as a racer, he does have automotive credibility. I'm sure they'll use Marlon Brando to sell butter sooner or later....

or Jeffrey Dahmer to sell freezers....

lots of possibilities.
Old 11/17/04, 04:40 PM

Exclamation

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@November 16, 2004, 11:59 AM
Sir Windsor, very well written letter..

Although, I think every female GT owner on this board will have issue with you questioning our loyalty, enthusiansism, and passion for our GTs.

While I agree that most female Mustang owners own V6s, (Really dont know why to be honest) the numbers of GT owners are increasing, and those of us who are buying our second, third, fourth, etc, are just as much of a motor head as some of you guys buying your first.

I think us female GT owners need to rise up and be counted. I have seen plenty of my sisterhood checking under the hood of the 05 GT.. and before that, I have seen plenty driving GTs.

Maybe its just where I am living, maybe its just how I grew up.. mom racing stock cars, dad owning Mustangs.. but I have two friends with GTs. One has a red 69 GT, and another has a Black 03 GT.

You boys need to understand a bumper sticker I had made: "Silly Boys, GTs are for CHICKS"

Maybe in the end, I am just an anamoly with my gal pals, hmmm, should I start an all girl Mustang Club in here Cali?
Jessica, I am with you on this one. This 2005 Mustang will be my 7th Mustang over the years, the only one that I had that was a V-6 was my 2000 and that's only because of a family situation, that I had to buy two cars at once.

I'm not some farm girl that had nothing else to do, I grew up in the city and I for one love to get my hands into the engine. I have put an engine in a car before, I change the oil, the plugs and anything else you might want fixed.

So it's always urks me when I hear men talking about how women don't know a thing about cars. When I ordered my 2005 Mustang GT, manual transmission by the way, I taught the little salesman a thing or two.

I'm right here with you, in supporting the Women on this board!!!!

Just my 2 cents...
Old 11/17/04, 05:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

My letter to Mr. Garfield, sent moments ago:

Mr. Garfield,

It was with some dismay, a tinge of anger and a lot of laughter that I experienced while reading your review of the "Cornfield" ad that Ford Motor is using to advertise their new 2005 (and yes, it is an oh-FIVE, not an 'oh-FOUR as you state in your ad). Apparently, you must have assumed that there is some connection with a very young, not even driving age, person who can connect Mr. Ed with the prospective market for the new Mustang and at that, figured that Ford will fail? Hmm… makes me wonder about your logic indeed, Mr. Garfield.

First of all, this new Mustang is the finest and most complete 'new' Mustang that Ford has ever built. The orders for the car before the first one was even delivered were in record numbers. The American car-buying public and motor vehicle enthusiasts have embraced this car like few before it. Yet, you choose to deride Ford's use of Steve McQueen? Where is THAT connection, Mr. Garfield. That uninformed derision you used at first angered me but then I realized that the truth is that you do not truly understand automotive advertisement.

And that, my good man, made me laugh.

You see, not every ad is aimed at the entire car-buying demographic which is apparently your ill-conceived belief. In actuality, I suspect that fewer 18-30 year olds know as much about Steve McQueen as do the 30-50 year olds. Yet, perhaps that was intentional on Ford's part - because fewer cars can be afforded by the young, Simple Plan crazed public whereas the more financially secure public (those 'ancient' 25-50 generations) are able to do so. Also, most of those 18-30 buyers aren't looking for a Mustang - they may well drool over it but they more likely are looking at more 'practical' transportation for them and their spouse and their 2.5 children - a minivan perhaps? But - I would bet you a hot fudge sundae that more of the 18-30 year olds know who Steve McQueen is than you imagine.

Mr. McQueen was an icon and loved by many, racing and non-racing fan alike. His car chase scene in the movie "Bullitt" is synonymous with performance and excitement and in particular, with the Ford Mustang. Hence, Ford's decision to dust off the Computer Generation Devices and link Mr. McQueen with the 2005 (again, an oh-FIVE, not an oh-FOUR). Why? Because seeing Steve McQueen getting in and driving the new Mustang, albeit ComGenned, strikes a resonant chord deep within those who know what Mr. McQueen was about (performance cars) and what this new Mustang represents (surprise - performance cars again!).

It is obvious that you sir do not 'get it'. And the Field of Dreams similarity? If you were a true sports car enthusiast and in particular, a Mustang enthusiast, you would not have to even ask. But since you are not, you can not understand that this new 2005 Mustang is a car many of us have been dreaming about since we heard it was coming and saw the first conceptual drawings.

But you do not understand that, do you Mr. Garfield?

I feel sorry for you sir. It is obvious that your soul has no passion; that you can not 'feel' the excitement that seeing a successor to the breed - as this new 2005 Mustang is - come from a dream to a reality. We enthusiasts are head over heels in love with this car and our numbers are legion.

The 2005 Mustang is a dream come true for many. And had Mr. McQueen been alive today, I do not doubt for one minute that his order for one would have been the first that Ford would have received.

And no one, NO ONE, would have been more deserving to have the 2005 Mustang Job One than Steve McQueen.

Thank you,
Steve Gibson
Old 11/17/04, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@November 15, 2004, 10:18 PM
Ok y'all, I agree that this guy needs some help, and should really rethink his day job.

However, to echo another poster, it does not help to send a letter condemning this journalist when the text is misspelled, or facts are wrong. At least two posters got his daughters age wrong, another had intermediate grammar, and at least one had misspellings.

If you do write in to this guy, please make sure you spell check, and fact check. Lets not make the same mistakes we are ridiculing the journalist of making. It only makes you look bad, and immediately puts your letter and ultimately your effect as a rebuttal on the lowest level of concern.

Elton John is dead? Darn, I really need to read the newspaper more often! I could have sworn I just saw him on a live special... herm, must have DVRd that before he died.

Edited to add: I havent even seen the darn commercial, and my 11yr old doesnt know who Steve McQueen is, but I also dont know who the heck Innuasha (spelling) was either! She can tell you however how many HP is in the GT, what a ricer is, and giggles when a guy revs his engine at me. She also is begging me to give her my 05 in 5 years. Take that Mr Garfield.
HE IS THE ''PROFESSIONAL JOURNALIST" NOT US. :nono:

IMO... He is still in the wrong.
Old 11/17/04, 07:15 PM
Bullitt Member

One thing that everybody seemed to miss is this:

If Sheryl Crow, a successful mucisian (although politically deceived just like most other people in Hollywood and buys into the propaganda that the media throws at her), can utitlize Steve McQueen to make her image cooler, is this guy really saying that Ford can't? By the way, for those who were wondering, she has a song entitled "Steve McQueen" .. it's a catchy tune and even features another important person to racing (in the Southern sector of our country anyway, no offense) .. Dale Jr.

http://boss.streamos.com/real/interscope/s...tevemcqueen.ram

If you have broadband, you can see what I'm talking about.

If she can make money off it and thinks people know who Steve McQueen is, I'd venture to guess most Ford ENTHUSIASTS who buy the car know who he is.
Old 11/17/04, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Juice@November 15, 2004, 11:59 PM
Mr. Garfield apparently works pretty late. He replied to my e-mail already. And his answer was somewhat civilized.

"well, at least you didn't call me a moron, like the
other 25 emailers.
whether mustang enthusiasts are excited about the new
mustang is sort of besides the point, in my view. (by
the way, i've owned one recently. hated it.)
the question is whether this ad will bring the rest of
the target audience into the fold. i'm guessing no.
we'll see.
yours,
bg"

So he has owned a Mustang in the past and it's not his cup of tea. Some one posted earlier that if he didn't like the car, he probably wouldn't like the ad. I'm not in marketing, except for the consumer. But as Americans, we all have the right to agree to disagree. It will be interesting to see if he comments on the response to his article in future columns.
The douche bag can't even use correct punctuation? I thought editors in the press were supposed to know all this stuff. I guess he doesn't even know e-mail ettiquette.