2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Journalist Rips '05 Mustang & "Cornfield"

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/04, 03:19 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my letter:

Dear Mr. Garfield,

I read your review of the Mustang cornfield commercial with unexpected surprise. The problem your created is that the content of your article is diminished by the large number of technical inaccuracies. Elton John dead? Come on. Getting the details if fundamental to good journalism, Mr. Garfield.

Contrary to your assertion, the commercial is appropriately targeted at those that would buy a Mustang, primarily Baby Boomers. The "Bulitt" movie classic car chase resonates like a V-8 at full throttle with this key demographic. Asking the opinion of a fourteen year-old is irrelevant.

The 2005 Mustang, frequently recognized to be the best Mustang ever, is destined to be a classic in its own right. How a literary buffoon like could fail to appreciate this fine car is also problematic. Maybe a romp with a young boy in the cornfield would get you excited, but a 300 horsepower sprint won't. Not liking this commercial, and the car, is akin to not liking, Motherhood, apple pie, and America.

Get real, sir.

You will probably write another column in response to torrent of replies generated a future column. I can read your byline now, "Mustang Fanatics Outraged by Review." Should you attempt to add a rejoinder to these replies, please contact me and I'll arrange for test ride that will have you saying something more intense than, "Oh-hhh, Wil-burrr."
Old 11/15/04, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Thought I would add my $.02

Mr. Garfield,

I recently saw a copy of your article describing your daughter's
opinion of the new "Cornfield" ad promoting the new 2005 Mustang.
As a journalist myself, I am embarassed to read such sloppy text,
filled with misconceptions and irrelevant blather.
I have a daughter that I love dearly, but I don't ask her to do my
job as you have done, and I take considerably more pride in my work
than you do, if one is to judge from your article.
Firstly, by the time paragraph SEVEN rolls around and we find out
you are writing about the new "Cornfield" ad, we simultaneously find
out that: Elton John is dead, and that this is a 2004 Mustang (wrong
on both counts).
You say you dislike this ad because the idea has been used before.
True. I saw the Ford Puma (I believe) ads since I live here in
Europe, and I realized that Europeans never saw Bullitt, and Steve
McQueen has a variable awareness. His cool transcended his screen
persona, and he was somewhat of a loner. There is currently no one
like him in the pantheon of housewife fantasy fodder.
But part of the point of the ad is that this is a new, exciting car
with roots in the past. The fastback that McQueen drove in the movie
was a direct inspiration for the lines of the completely updated model,
and they have done an excellent job.
Unfortunately, you did no research on the product before using
your previous bias to color your half-interested response to the ad.

Your daughter, who knows Mr. Ed, somehow never watched Wanted: Dead
or Alive??
She barely knows who Steve McQueen is, but his coolness has
captivated her, and she forgets the LAST 30 SECONDS of the ad, which
show the driving of the car.
"What's a Mustang, Daddy?"

Bush-league, Mr. Garfield, really bush-league, I would be stunned if
this took you more than 10 minutes to write.

It isn't the best ad I've ever seen, "Anthem" is more clever, but the
fervor being generated by this car is proof of the ads effectiveness,
and if it's not the ad, then how can this car be called "boring?"
Old 11/15/04, 03:41 PM

You know, perhaps the guy should rely a little less on his daughter to get his job done...
Not to mention, perhaps her ignorance can be blamed on him. He doesn't seem to be without himself.
Stupid people breed and raise stupid children.

I'm 21 myself... Along with growing up with the things of my own generation, I grew up with those of my older brother's (by 11 years), all those of my father's, my mother's, and my grandparent's generations because I had the inclination to listen and watch, but much more so, they had the inclination to tell me and to show me.
So I grew up not only with an interest of events that effected me, but the events that effected my family and history in general.

This person wrongly uses his daughter's and his own ignorance, as a model that would suggest youth as a universal adapter to ignorance, to support his arguement.
In fact, I didn't even really see any hint of a real critique of the ad campaign so much as I witnessed his own campaign as to why Ford's marketing idea would never reach friendly shores.
He's already been proven wrong on that one.

The only model market the writer presents is that of his own ignorant family.
Just another critic who thinks their opinion is valid to everyone.
Old 11/15/04, 03:45 PM
dke
Bullitt Member

IMHO,

Trying to teach a Journalist is about as effective as trying to teach a frog to sing. ;-) (Said as one whose written a few thousand articles over the years).

Seriously, if you've ever written anything publicly, you know that you could say the most innocuous and benign things, and SOMEONE is going to take offense, or take it out of context. I never wrote an article that didn't earn at least a half dozen, "you idiot!"'s... so you learn to tone most of it out -- or do something else.

When you are getting deluged with email, you tend to filter for content. One's that start, "You're an idiot! DIE DIE DIE!" are usually not worth the second sentence... The ones that are civil, but have more constructive criticism are more likely to be read. Something more along the lines of,

"Sir, while I understand what you were trying to say, the tone seemed a little caustic and hurtful. Think of all the people that make their living off the success of such a campaign, or how many appreciate the ad and what it represents. Sure the ad might have been catering to the enthusiasts and not the unwashed masses, but it makes them feel good and is probably effective to their likely customer base."

That might make the guy think. Most of the other examples felt more like you all venting to get your anger out, because he called your baby ugly. He sorta did, and I agree with you in spirit. But just trying to give you something to think about the next time you want to email a journalist. (Tone WAY down the anger if you want to be effective).

P.S. I'm with most of you. I like the ad. I think his response to it was silly and over-stated, and it wasn't particularly good journalism. And it probably doesn't matter how nice you write your response, many people that write the dumbest articles have the "listen" volume turned way too low, and will filter out stuff they don't want to hear, no matter how well written. But being polite still increases your odds of making a difference.
Old 11/15/04, 03:46 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The question to ask Mr. Garfield's 14 year old daughter is "Name all the cars that you know."

I'd bet it's a pretty short list.
Old 11/15/04, 04:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, surprised that Grantsdale let ya off easy Brad. No "this post should be in the reviews section."
Old 11/15/04, 04:23 PM
Bullitt Member

The opening paragraph of his article bores us at how bright his widdle Katie is. She can mouth the words to Steve Miller, Gershwin, & "Mr.Ed" So if she don't get it, then Ford must have missed the boat huh? When he asks her if the ad wanted her to go out & buy a Mustang she replied "I didn't know it was for a Mustang." Well the narrator only says "The 2005 Ford Mustang, The Legend Lives". Must have gone over their heads then, him calling it a 2004.
"Ask me something else daddy. You want to hear me sing the Gilligan's Island theme?" "Oh Katie, you're daddy's precious girl."
Old 11/15/04, 04:27 PM

The real question here is how can Mitsubishi get away with sellilng that POS eclipse for 31k. I pity the fool who buys that hunk of scrap.
Old 11/15/04, 04:34 PM

The only thing dying is this guys career, well, and Elton John apparently. He really should get more in "touch" if he's going to write critiques on something so "pop-culture" as TV. Ads. Who cares what his daughter thinks, maybe she's getting paid for her "brilliant" market research.
Old 11/15/04, 05:24 PM
V6 Member

Angry

Originally posted by 68notch@November 15, 2004, 12:47 PM
What a mo-ron. Great responses, Grantsdale and Brad. That guy clearly has:

A. no idea what he's talking about and
B. a chip on his shoulder about Ford and/or the Mustang.

I bet he drives a vette.

I'm betting he drives a sexy, exciting Pontiac Aztek
Old 11/15/04, 05:33 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by thegoalie@November 15, 2004, 1:17 PM
Jesus! So the critic didn't think the marketing idea. And now many of you are bombarding him with hate mail?

Some of you really need to get a life
So the critic didn't think the marketing idea.This sentence makes no sense. Some of you really need to get an education.
Old 11/15/04, 07:19 PM
V6 Member

Mr. Garfield,

As someone who studied journalism on the way to a marketing degree, and understands that each critic has an opinion that they are entitled to, I offer my criticism to your article in Advertising Age, November 15, 2004, entitled "Ford robs the grave in effort to restore life to an aged Mustang."

1) Please ascertain all the facts before you launch an attack.
a) The vehicle is a 2005 Mustang and somehow you missed this in your research (assuming you did any). You referred to the car as stale and apparently do not realize that every magazine dedicated to covering automobiles have praised Ford for their efforts on the 2005 Mustang. Road and Track, December 2004 titled "Ford Mustang GT, The best Mustang ever." they state "This car is going to give Mustang a good name, and what a move that is. Long the bastion of youthful exuberance, America's pony car has just smoked the tires 25 years forward to arrive as a fully developed, mainstream automobile, a car appealing to far more than image-crazed youth. Such are the rewards for starting with a completely clear computer screen, a first for any Mustang." Check out a few more magazines and you will find that this is how the car has been received everywhere by it's critics. Ford took more than 25K orders before the car was officially released to the dealerships. There is more than a three month wait if you order one today and good luck getting anyone to sell you one at MSRP. Wouldn't we all like to posses a stale commodity like this?

2) Ford launched a full ad campaign consisting of commercials aimed at various targeted audiences over the last two weeks so to criticize an ad campaign simply on one spot seems quite shallow. Did it occur to you that there would be a target audience that would include enthusiasts who would recognize immediately the lore and symbolism depicted in the ad. For those who don't know the heritage it remains a catchy ad regardless. By including Steve McQueen and references to Field of Dreams you touch upon two different generations that can relate to either or both movies/icons - not sure how you consider this ad that reaches across time and generations to miss the point. The only ones not familiar with at least on reference would be too young to drive.

3) If you have taken the chance to look the car over you will discover that Ford is relying on the GROUND UP retro styling to speak for itself. It is amazing that they place only one logo/name badge on the entire exterior of the car that states it is a Mustang and that is the Running Pony in the grill. No where on the exterior do FORD or MUSTANG appear as Ford is relying on the styling and mystic the "legend" inspires to drive interest. Last time I checked they were not marketing to your daughter, sir this is not a box of cereal to be certain. You personally had no problem recognizing the vehicle despite the fact that you obviously know very little about it (getting the year wrong will prove to be telling here as I am sure you will or have been advised of that by your readers at this point). I think one would commend Ford for marketing the car to a more mature consumer considering that for under $30K you can take ownership of a 300 HP vehicle.

In closing, you have made inaccurate statements regarding the car (please research the sales numbers on the 2005) being STALE; you have criticized an ad campaign based on 60 seconds when there are more than a few minutes of material to this campaign that launched simultaneously across several networks intended to reach multiple demographic groups thereby only commenting on a "piece" of the package rather than the entire effort. You may be good at what you do but you blew this one. You failed to do your research, shot from the hip getting your facts wrong and as most crack pot critics (of which I do not group you, only suggest that this piece implies you could be) only covered your limited view by only commenting on part of the campaign rather than the whole product.

Neal W. Smith
Ford Enthusiast
Director of Marketing for a Forbes 500 Company
Consumer
Small Business Owner
And member of several professional organizations that will have access to your article and my letter.

My 2 cents signed sealed and delivered.
Old 11/15/04, 08:16 PM

Do you think it hurts to be as dumb as this guy is? Because it really hurts me :scratch:
Old 11/15/04, 08:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dear Mr. Garfield,

You stink.

BlackriderX
Old 11/15/04, 08:25 PM
FR500 Member

BRAD I TOTALLY AGREE!! i think this man just made this article to make some money. he obviously dont understand!!
Old 11/15/04, 08:35 PM
V6 Member

You know, I think that's part of the point of the commercial. The real enthusiasts "get it". The wannabes don't. That's the purpose of a 300 HP beast and the old school styling. They know what market is paying attention. 25,000 pre-orders and tons more on the way? I think Ford did everything right with this car, aside from a few nit-picky things. Other than that, this guy is lost. Poor journalism to boot.
Old 11/15/04, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm still trying to open the article. Anyway, I am 15 and I have seen Bullit and knew immediately who Steve McQueen was and I thought it was awesome. Although I didn't really like Field of Dreams I thought it was a clever marketing device Ford chose to use. Media has gotten ridiculous these days. What the heck is up with him saying the 'new' Mustang and then he said it was a 2004!? I could name and write and article better than him on any car. At least have some common knowledge to know it's a 2005. BTW, has anyone gotten a response from him?
Old 11/15/04, 08:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

What a d ickhead. Just another reason you should see the movie you want to and buy the music you like as opposed to listening to a critic.

LAAHHOOSSAHHERRR!

I love Jim Carey.

Old 11/15/04, 09:08 PM

i saw the cornfield commercial mentioned in the article, and it was one of the coolest car commercials i have seen.......in fact it is my favorite one of all time.

You know, I think that's part of the point of the commercial. The real enthusiasts "get it". The wannabes don't. That's the purpose of a 300 HP beast and the old school styling. They know what market is paying attention
exactly. nothing more needs to be said than "the legend lives".
Old 11/15/04, 09:15 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Ok y'all, I agree that this guy needs some help, and should really rethink his day job.

However, to echo another poster, it does not help to send a letter condemning this journalist when the text is misspelled, or facts are wrong. At least two posters got his daughters age wrong, another had intermediate grammar, and at least one had misspellings.

If you do write in to this guy, please make sure you spell check, and fact check. Lets not make the same mistakes we are ridiculing the journalist of making. It only makes you look bad, and immediately puts your letter and ultimately your effect as a rebuttal on the lowest level of concern.

Elton John is dead? Darn, I really need to read the newspaper more often! I could have sworn I just saw him on a live special... herm, must have DVRd that before he died.

Edited to add: I havent even seen the darn commercial, and my 11yr old doesnt know who Steve McQueen is, but I also dont know who the heck Innuasha (spelling) was either! She can tell you however how many HP is in the GT, what a ricer is, and giggles when a guy revs his engine at me. She also is begging me to give her my 05 in 5 years. Take that Mr Garfield.

Quick Reply: Journalist Rips '05 Mustang & "Cornfield"