2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Journalist Rips '05 Mustang & "Cornfield"

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/04, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SirWindsor@November 16, 2004, 9:36 AM
60% of all mustang buyers are female (in a given model year)the large majority of which buy the V6 model.
30% of all mustang buyers are male (of course) of which the large majority buy GT's.
Umm...I'm no statistician, but I'm pretty sure this isnt helping our "sharpest nail in the box" case any...

So who's buying the other 10 percent of stangs? Pat?
Old 11/16/04, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

You are forgetting about the 10% hermaphrodite.
Old 11/16/04, 11:10 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by new22003@November 16, 2004, 1:08 PM
You are forgetting about the 10% hermaphrodite.
Thats just wrong....
Old 11/16/04, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes that is!!!! But it would explain my Mother-In-Law !!! :shock:
Old 11/16/04, 11:18 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by flight96@November 16, 2004, 11:19 AM
Old 11/16/04, 11:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the quote

“A ‘critic’ is a man who creates nothing and thereby feels qualified to judge the work of creative men. There is logic in this; he is unbiased—he hates all creative people equally.â€
~Robert A. Heinlein

Maybe I'll do a quckie telling him who the 'zombie' really is(possibly metioning that he is raising another one as well).
Old 11/16/04, 11:37 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
38% are female, and the average buyer is 39.
Old 11/16/04, 11:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Robert@November 16, 2004, 6:21 AM
Take a good look at the writing. His article is actually EXTREMELY well-written. Unfortunately, his facts are off and his opinions, misguided.
As a critic though, the first thing he needs to do is remove his personal feelings and analyze it from a neutral standpoint as if he is the primary target audience. He has some issue about Mustangs in general and went on a rant more then a review. It screams bias. If he was that great a writer, he would be better at hiding it. He's just another hack so who cares anyway? I also guarantee he drives something that reflects his social standing to his neighbors, steel blue 7 series maybe?. I cant figure out if his daughter is 23 or 14, but she just may be dating someone with a Mustang right now that is chapping his hiney.
Old 11/16/04, 11:40 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love how he speaks about the Mustang as a 'has been ' car design....... :scratch:

Riiiiiiight.......

So how come on the 3 1/2 hour trip while driving down to Key West this past weekend and keeping my eyes peeled for '05s, I swear it seemed like every fifteenth car was a MUSTANG....... hmmmm..... guess the sales numbers on them over the past few years were all publicity and hype.....

What a moron......

I hope he let's that wizkid genius kid of his pick his next vehicle for him....

[on a sidenote I did see four '05 v-6s on the road during the trip - one on the way down (torch red), two on the streets actually IN Key West (white and a silver), and one on the trip home (black). Also, when I first arrived, on the way to the hotel, we passed the Key West Ford dealership and they had a torch red GT up on one of those metals stands out front right off the road for all to see ]
Old 11/16/04, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my email off: Pretty much says what I think:

Mr. Garfield:

Just got done reading your article on Fords "corn commercial" and frankly I am surprised at your ignorance....True, not every 23 year old will recognize Steve Mcqueen, but I would bet that every mustang fan would, and there are MANY of them. Granted Bullett is not on every night but it is a movie and not some stupid tv program that can only be seen on nick at night. Even if you didn't know him, who cares. It's still a good commercial for the car. By the way, this is a 2005 model and not 2004, you would think you would get your facts clear first before going to print...Tsk Tsk. Are you 23? Anyway, not being that young I do remember going to see bullett and field of dreams is one of my favorites and generally known by most everyone. Again, it's a movie and not an old tv program.
I thought the commercial was done very well and due to Mcqueens association with the mustang and the cleverness of the field of dreams sequence, you can bet that Ford will reap mucho bucks from this. They are already getting hammered at the dealers for the new car, especially the sport model GT, and I don't see it coming to a halt any time soon.
As far as being a boring car, have you really seen one or sat in one. I just purchased one and I have never owned a Ford product in my life. This stinker throws you back in your seat and makes driving fun again. I haven't enjoyed a car like this since my 69 Z-28. These cars bring back the "muscle" car of the 60's but with all of the needed updates of a totally modern car without going into the "corvette and up" bank to make a purchase. For around 26G's you can get a 300+HP, well handling and Eye appealing piece of machinery that will bring back the muscle cars again for a new era to enjoy. It's only a matter of time before chevy and dodge get back into the race with a cammaro and challenger or charger. Who knows, maybe the American car companies will wake up and start getting creative again and stop copying the boring as H.... European or Japanese models.
I would imagine that it's probably just a little jealousy from you that it wasn't you that came up with the idea for the commercial. My last observation is that you also probably drive a VW Cabriolet or beetle. Maybe even a PT cruiser (all 3 of which have been noted as typical "chick" cars. I think the governor of California was probably talking about you when he said, "don't be a girlie man"... This probably explains it all.
:notnice: :notnice: :notnice:
Old 11/16/04, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@November 16, 2004, 11:59 AM
Sir Windsor, very well written letter..

Although, I think every female GT owner on this board will have issue with you questioning our loyalty, enthusiansism, and passion for our GTs.

While I agree that most female Mustang owners own V6s, (Really dont know why to be honest) the numbers of GT owners are increasing, and those of us who are buying our second, third, fourth, etc, are just as much of a motor head as some of you guys buying your first.

I think us female GT owners need to rise up and be counted. I have seen plenty of my sisterhood checking under the hood of the 05 GT.. and before that, I have seen plenty driving GTs.

Maybe its just where I am living, maybe its just how I grew up.. mom racing stock cars, dad owning Mustangs.. but I have two friends with GTs. One has a red 69 GT, and another has a Black 03 GT.

You boys need to understand a bumper sticker I had made: "Silly Boys, GTs are for CHICKS"

Maybe in the end, I am just an anamoly with my gal pals, hmmm, should I start an all girl Mustang Club in here Cali?
consider yourself rare.

sorry about the numbers, wrote it in haste, i could argue it's a varying mix throughout the years 68/32 66/34 etc... Wow that looked bad. oh well!!

I was talking about the loyalty of female V6 owners on a general basis, of course their are always exceptions. I've known quite a few girls that had V6's and they liked the car but were not "passionate" about it.

We don't doubt your passion but if you look around it's mostly guys up on here.
Old 11/16/04, 12:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

anyone look up some of his prior articles yet???
Old 11/16/04, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@November 16, 2004, 1:55 PM
anyone look up some of his prior articles yet???
Na! not really interested! Someone should invite him for a drive in a supercharged Cobra, and not offer him clean underwear...... and when your done with him, kick him in the ding ding! ......... before you open the door and kick him out!
Old 11/16/04, 01:54 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by flight96@November 16, 2004, 12:19 PM
We have the same mother-in-law?
Old 11/16/04, 02:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

here is my initial e-mail, his response, and my response. sorry it s so long and confusing

Mr. Garfield,
>
>
> After reading your completely pathetic review
> of the 2005 "Cornfield" commercial I have come to
> the conclusion that you have no idea what you are
> talking about. Aside from your misinformation about
> the car, your comments about the ad itself are 100%
> wrong. AND YOU'RE BASING THIS ASSERTION ON....WHAT? The fact that at no point do you come off knowing anything about the car. Having owned one yourself and “hating it†you are put on the other end of the predisposed spectrum. I may be a mustang fan but that grants me a large benefit, I know the car. Someone in your position can just say it stinks and not think anything of it. I have owned a 96 Gt for 5 years and have loved every second of it. I chose the car I wanted, and have worked hard for it, which is what everyone should have the pleasure of doing. Everyone has different tastes and if you hated the Mustang you’re certainly entitled to your opinion. That said, I am not only a mustang fan, but a car fan. So having been able to evaluate many different vehicles I can tell you with confidence that your view of the Mustang is heavily distorted, which shows in your Ad review.
I am 22 and I was excited to see the way they
> presented the mustang. OH, WELL THAT CINCHES IT. YOU
WERE EXCITED, SO IT MUST BE Wrong… I was already excited about the car. I was excited to see that Ford tied in their Beautiful design and their “The Legend Lives On†slogan, with a commercial that reflects both concepts. I also don’t think That Ford had to resurrect either of the concepts from to movies. Bullit has they greatest car chase ever on film, and Field of dreams is so much of a classic that although putting the idea in a movie, commercial, or ad isn’t ground breaking, it is easily recognizable to 80% of the country and certainly fits with the feel ford was going for. With the 05 mustang, Ford
> used a heavy 60's design influence and It is only
> logical that there Ad incorporates some of that same
> heritage. My dad has never seen Bullit but though
> the Ad was very cool the first time he saw it.
> Whether or not some 14 year old girl gets the
> reference is irrelevant, it still shows an amazing
> car in action. ACTUALLY, IF YOU READ MORE CAREFULLY,
YOU'D SEE SHE IS 23. At this point I feel I need to mention that your daughter was paying absolutely no attention to the Ad itself if she did not realize that it was for a mustang. Aside from the obvious point that this particular ad is not aimed at her, she should have been able to pick up on the numerous mustang logos or at the very least the only spoken words of the entire commercial. “The 2005 Ford Mustang, The Legend Livesâ€. So again, using your daughters comment in this article shows that she didn’t get the reference (no bug deal)or care about any other part of this particular ad such as seeing the car in action (which is what the commercial gives you even if you don’t get, or care about the reference). Perhaps it would be better to ask her about the commercial where Brooke Shields is talking about the car, as this is the ad in the campaign aimed at her. I feel the Ad definitely shows thecar in an impressive
CAN YOU SEE HOW WHAT YOU FEEL IS NOT PROJECTIBLE
AGAINST THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE OF 22-YEAR-OLDS --
ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU SEEM TO BE A MUSTANG ENTHUSIAST
AND THEREFORE PREDISPOSED TO PAYING CLOSER ATTAENTION? Aside from the fact that no ad can attract every mid-twenty year old, ANY car enthusiast can appreciate the commercial for its shots of the car on the course itself. You hear the exhaust note, see how the car performs in hard cornering, and you see shots of the interior and exterior.
light and would not change a
> thing. So sir, do some research and know what you’re
> talking about before you write it in an article
> because in the end it is you who looks
> unintelligent, not Ford, the Ad, or the car.
So in whole I believe you are not accurate in your review of this ad. It is part of a three ad campaign that covers every demographic and the “cornfield ad†definitely displays its part of the larger picture. Weather your review is a result of your personal bias toward the car, or just a lack of knowledge about the subject but your article comes off rushed in your criticism of the car and the ad.
Old 11/16/04, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Juice@November 15, 2004, 11:59 PM
Mr. Garfield apparently works pretty late. He replied to my e-mail already. And his answer was somewhat civilized.

"well, at least you didn't call me a moron, like the
other 25 emailers.
whether mustang enthusiasts are excited about the new
mustang is sort of besides the point, in my view. (by
the way, i've owned one recently. hated it.)
the question is whether this ad will bring the rest of
the target audience into the fold. i'm guessing no.
we'll see.
yours,
bg"

So he has owned a Mustang in the past and it's not his cup of tea. Some one posted earlier that if he didn't like the car, he probably wouldn't like the ad. I'm not in marketing, except for the consumer. But as Americans, we all have the right to agree to disagree. It will be interesting to see if he comments on the response to his article in future columns.
I also got a response, of sorts, my own post with some detailed all caps responses interspersed with my own text. Pretty much the same thing everyone else got, had a Mustang, hated it. Elton John's death a joke, 2004 a typo, with some extra comments.

Basically we had VERY different opinions about how profound his daughters past and recent comments were. Every good father thinks his kid's observations are amazing, but being a good father does not make you a thorough journalist.

He feels the piece showed effort, whereas I felt it was a stream-of-consciousness piece of junk, and it may be wrong to apply strict standards to an op-ed piece, but he does not seem to understand that basic errors in fact ruin the credibility of anythng, even an opinion piece.

No, he's not going to lose his job, or conversely get a promotion. Likely he will use this experience in a future article about raging fanatics (Mustangers).

Of course, that's what a GOOD journalist would do, so don't get your hopes up.

Peace,
Old 11/16/04, 03:17 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by 05fordgt@November 15, 2004, 2:41 PM
When you said that they needed to "restore life to aged Mustang" the 2004 models sales figures were up from the previous year by over 1%. This for a car that was still using the same FOX body from the late 70's.
You should have checked your facts first.

Through October 31, 2004 Mustang TOTAL Mustang sales were 103,700
Last year through Oct 31, 2003 Mustang TOTAL Mustang sales were 116,645
That's 11.1% LOWER in 2004.

2003 was up 1.4% from 2002,
2002 sales were DOWN 18% from 2001,
2001 was DOWN 3% from 2000
Old 11/16/04, 03:23 PM
dke
Bullitt Member

I think he was referring only to Octobers numbers, not through to October. (That is an assumption on my part; I saw something on the Car connection or Auto Insider that mentioned the month was up over last year; but year of year sales are down as you expressed. But I don't have numbers).

Still, we need to remember to interpret those numbers. Before a new model comes out, it often depresses the old models sales. Plus there can be ramp-up, ramp-down losses, and other things going on. So I'd rather compare a full year (2005) to 2003, etc....
Old 11/16/04, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Didnt one those big name papers fire a guy some time ago about making up stories and lying about facts and just telling a good ole fashion @#$%^&* lie.
Old 11/16/04, 04:29 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by dke@November 16, 2004, 4:26 PM
I think he was referring only to Octobers numbers, not through to October. (That is an assumption on my part; I saw something on the Car connection or Auto Insider that mentioned the month was up over last year; but year of year sales are down as you expressed. But I don't have numbers).

Still, we need to remember to interpret those numbers. Before a new model comes out, it often depresses the old models sales. Plus there can be ramp-up, ramp-down losses, and other things going on. So I'd rather compare a full year (2005) to 2003, etc....
Oct 2004: 9,232
Oct 2003: 9,755
Change: DOWN 5.4%

2004 sales were up slightly through May 2004 (~ 1/2 %). Sales tanked in June and have never recoverd. There are LOTS of 2004 Mustangs still left on dealer lots (over 20,000 as of Oct 31), so supply of 2004's are not the problem.

Note that the October 2004 #s include BOTH 2004 and 2005 Model year Mustangs.

I read his comments to say that sales of the old Mustang were up in 2004, which is NOT the case no matter how you try to spin the #s.

The writer does have a point here. In 2000, Mustang sales were 173,676.
Full year 2003 sales were 140,350, so in 3 years Mustang sales have declined by 20%.

Even with the new 2005 Mustang, total sales for Mustangs in calander year 2004 will only be around 135,000, down from last year. and way down from 2000.

Until December 31, 2005, the jury will still be out on how successful the 2005 Mustang is. Hopefully the Ford dealers won't screw up things too badly with their $5K markups.

Quick Reply: Journalist Rips '05 Mustang & "Cornfield"