2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Journalist Rips '05 Mustang & "Cornfield"

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/04, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 05 Gray GT@November 15, 2004, 3:35 PM
Is the link dead I tried them bolth?
Its a pdf, and kind of large, so you need acrobat reader if you don't have it.
Old 11/15/04, 12:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 05 Gray GT@November 15, 2004, 1:35 PM
Is the link dead I tried them bolth?
Sorry had to turn off firewall to get.
Old 11/15/04, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

What news paper does this guy write for??
Old 11/15/04, 12:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bob garfield writes for advertisement age. That's www.adage.com
Old 11/15/04, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by thegoalie@November 15, 2004, 1:17 PM
Jesus! So the critic didn't think the marketing idea. And now many of you are bombarding him with hate mail?

Some of you really need to get a life
Dictionary.com:
hate mail
n.
Correspondence that expresses the sender's animosity, disapproval, or prejudice, often in offensive language.

I am sorry that his 22 year old daughter that he references in the article has not been priveledged enough to know what Steve McQueen or a Mustang is. That being said, articles that express the author's animosity, disapproval, or prejudice towards this vehicle after only seeing the cornfield commercial (I can only assume that is the only place he has seen it, for there are not many on the streets yet, and the author makes no other reference to actually seeing one) could be considered HATE articles. Hate articles warrant hate mail.

Now had he written about fluffy bunnies with cotton tails, I would email him a picture of a fluffy bunny. (To distract him while the put the straight jacket on...)
Old 11/15/04, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

this guys daughter obviously knows very little about cars or american culture. she is either a 22 year old with an extremly low IQ or just plain ignant.
Old 11/15/04, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is my response

"Mr. Garfield,
I was wondering after reading your recent article on the new mustang if you have actually driven the car. I was wondering if you have seen the massive response the car has received both in magazines and in the few showrooms where you can still find one sitting? I was wondering if you think a focus group of one young girl was something to judge 16-35 year old males by?

You realize I was called by my younger brother when the commercial came on during CSI saying it was able to tape the end of it, he’s 16 and said he got goose bumps when Steve walked out of the field. I have had friends watch a particular show trying to catch this commercial, all in their lower 20’s. I own 3 different MPEGS of it and play them on my P.C. daily. The middle aged men talk about it at the water cooler at work. It is one of the hottest videos on the racing video download sites. All of the above represent people in the Mustang’s targeted demographics and even outside of it. Believe it or not us “wipper snappers†can actually get a concept or heritage and remember things further back than last weeks Survivor episode. Perhaps it is you that is a bit out of touch with what the car means and what people who buy it want.

If you doubt the buzz or demand for this video by the 23 year olds you seem to think wont get it, I suggest you take a trip to an online mustang message board such as stangnet.com, mustangworld.com, themustangsource.com, svtperformance.com, etc. Go there and do a search for “cornfield†and see all the threads and people trying to get copies of this video. See the number of people that say it was the best they have seen, ones that talk about goose bumps, pride and excitement.

And how you call a car boring that has 300 horses, does a 13 second quarter mile, pulls almost .9 g’s, and stops better than any mustang before it all for a base MSRP of $24,995 is beyond me. There is no other 300 horsepower car on the market for less than $30,000.

Obviously your opinion is in the minority or the mustang would be selling as slowly as Pontiacs GTO. Obviously many disagree with you as evidenced by the massive SEMA presence of the 2005 mustang. This is perhaps the best mustang ever.

There are a number of errors in the article itself, it’s a 2005 mustang not a 2004, Elton John isn’t dead, and teens know who Steve McQueen is. You may be capable of reviewing an ad for a Toyota Prius but when it comes to a car with a soul perhaps you should leave that to someone who understands a car is more than transportation.
"
Old 11/15/04, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice ! keep the e-mails going.This guy might even lose his job !!!!
Why would anyone want a guy like this working for them.
Old 11/15/04, 01:30 PM
Bullitt Member

First off, let me state where I am coming from. I am a 23 year-old recent graduate of The Ohio State University School of Journalism and Communication. I am in the advertising/marketing/public relations field and a huge car nut.

I love the Ford Mustang commercial. But, for some reason I am at a loss, for, according to you, I have no idea who Steve McQueen is, nor that he raced cars, collected cars, and starred in some of the greatest car-chase movies ever made. I feel as though I am stuck in some sort of black hole wherupon my mind knows is telling me something, and this highly praised, famous-for-his-critiques journalist is telling me I don't. Oh wait, now I get it, I'm not an eight year-old girl.

I almost forgot for a second that I was a 23 year-old, car-loving, mustang-order-making male. That was a close one.

You write as though you are an automotive journalist, when you clearly aren't. You are simply an ad critic pushing your own thoughts on an amazing, well-praised, highly emotional car. I doubt anyone, 23 or not, would ever call this car tired, boring, and aged. This, your highness, is from the ground-up, a new sports car. What Ford did however, is dip into their rich history of great design and influence to produce a car that will be cheap enough for us know-nothing, ignorant 23-year olds, yet evocative for the baby-boomers.

Maybe in the future you will hold back on the criticism, bias and judgement and simply review the ads, not their product. I would hate to see your reviews of the cola wars. One of them probably got similar treatment from you for putting out a boring, aged, and tired cola.

Sincerely,

Andrew Davis
Old 11/15/04, 01:34 PM
Cam Tease

The article is well written, but the guy is retarded. He called it a 2004...what a flamer. Im 16 and just assumed the mcqueen and field of dreams allusions would be obvious to everyone....then again i have a brain. Regardless, the guy has no right to even consider touching the car topic, although he can write (maybe if he does get fired Home and Gardening could find a slot for him).
Old 11/15/04, 01:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just wanted to add my email I sent to this "Journalist" He needs a new job, if his is rating and giving his opinion on advertisements. Sorry for the length, but I had to vent to this idiot. Anyone who disses Steve McQueen is not our friend. This guy really needs a

Hello Mr. Garfield,

I just finished reading your review of the new Ford Mustang television avertisement. I wanted to f start off by saying that I found your review on a Mustang enthusiast website, in the forum section. I just wanted to give my .02 cents to you about your review. First off, if you haven't heard it from others emailing you, the car in the ad is the ALL-NEW 2005 Mustang, not the 2004, 25 year old chassis using, prior model. When you said that they needed to "restore life to aged Mustang" the 2004 models sales figures were up from the previous year by over 1%. This for a car that was still using the same FOX body from the late 70's. If you look at the auto news reports, the 2005 Mustang is the hottest car in the industry, as most dealers can't keep them in stock for more that a few hours. With a starting price under $20,000 for a V-6, and under $25,000 to start for a GT with the V8, this is the best bargin in the sports car world. Every automotive magazine (C&D, R&T, MT, even your sister magazine Autoweek) praised this car as "The Best Mustang Ever". I don't see these praised coming from Chevy and Pontiac, oh, I forgot, the Camaro is DEAD, and the GTO's (an IMPORT) aren't selling even with rebates on them. Just ask the dealers.
The Mustang is all about bang for the buck, and it hits a home run on that. The styling is unmistakebly Mustang, hence there isn't a Blue Oval Badge on the hood, or rear deck. The look of the car is loved by men and women, young and old. Younger people like the way it looks, and it takes the older people back to their youth, when they had their 67s, 68s and 69 Mustangs. The car just stops traffic wherever it goes. Now about the commercial. I don't know how old your daughter is, but I just turned 28, born in 1976, and I know that "Bullitt" was released in the late 60's. Well before my time of movie watching, but I know who Steve McQueen is. Alot of people do, young and old. Most will tell you that the best chase scene in movies was from Bullitt. It was even rated #1 by car and movie industry people. Most people remember him from that movie, as he did his own driving in the chase. With that, the Mustang got even more famous, hence a Bullitt edition being released in 2001, and selling out.
The commercial in whole just worked with alot of people who seen it, and to those I show it to. I have not heard ONE person criticize the spot. Field of Dreams is one of my favorite sports movies of all time, and the take off of it was just well done. If you haven't figured out by now, I am partial to Ford products, as I sell them for a living. Have been for 8 years now, and I am a "Car Guy", who loves cars, and my job. After all the ho-hum Ford commercials over the years, (excluding the Ford GT commercial from the Super Bowl) this got me excited. In my opinion, this commercial deserved more than a 1.5 out of 4 stars. My guess is that your not a "Car Guy" or you don't like movies. I just wanted to give you my opinion. Thanks for your time.

Sincerely
Jeff Greenly
Yocum Ford
Lansdale Pennsylvania

I can't wait to see if he emails me back, and what his response is.
Old 11/15/04, 01:46 PM

Mr. Garfield,

I recently read your article about the “boring 2004 Mustangâ€, and just had to comment. I am a 24 yr old female, with a true love of cars. To me the new 2005 Mustang in the commercial you were referring to is an absolute gorgeous piece of work. I was so excited when I heard they were going to incorporate Steve McQueen into the new commercial. To many car enthusiasts (i.e. Mustang lovers) Mr. McQueen is an automotive icon for his work in “Bullitt†and the great car chases in the movie. I applaud Ford for including him in there commercial. I recently sold my 2003 Nissan 350Z, and will soon be ordering the 2005 Mustang. I wish I had more time to write, but alas, Nick at Nite is almost on.
Old 11/15/04, 02:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here is mine.

Mr. Garfield,

After reading your completely pathetic review of the 2005 "Cornfield" commercial I have come to the conclusion that you have no idea what you are talking about. Aside from your misinformation about the car, your comments about the ad itself are 100% wrong. I am 22 and I was excited to see the way they presented the mustang. With the 05 mustang, Ford used a heavy 60's design influence and It is only logical that there Ad incorporates some of that same heritage. My dad has never seen Bullit but though the Ad was very cool the first time he saw it. Whether or not some 14 year old girl gets the reference is irrelevant, it still shows an amazing car in action. I feel the Ad definitely shows the car in an impressive light and would not change a thing. So sir, do some research and know what you’re talking about before you write it in an article because in the end it is you who looks unintelligent, not Ford, the Ad, or the car.
Old 11/15/04, 02:04 PM
Cobra Member

“A ‘critic’ is a man who creates nothing and thereby feels qualified to judge the work of creative men. There is logic in this; he is unbiased—he hates all creative people equally.â€
~Robert A. Heinlein

I'll be giving this guy a very nice clock cleaning...
Old 11/15/04, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

I was waiting for an article like this. What a douche bag.
Old 11/15/04, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

yes douche bag sums it up very well
Old 11/15/04, 02:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Has he responded back to anyone?
Old 11/15/04, 02:39 PM
Cobra Member

My letter
----------------------

Mr. Garfield,

Let me begin by saying that I am a Graphic Design student and spent a semester learning about marketing. For a particular class, I prepared a marketing plan for the 2005 Mustang (not the 2004 Mustang, as either you or an editor say). I considered using Mr. McQueen in a series of ads, but felt he might not be be instantly recognized by the Business Major students that made up the majority of the class.
However, upon hearing comments upon the latest effort from J. Walter Thompson and Ford, I must say I was mistaken. Coworkers are asking when I take delivery of my 2005 Mustang, and when they can see it. Several web forums are abuzz with fans of the Pony discussing how they are in awe of this commercial. Dealers in the area cannot keep any 2005 Mustangs on the lot for more than a day (as few as two hours, in some cases).
So, what if a viewer does not recognize Steve McQueen, has never seen "Bullitt" or "Field of Dreams"? The message that this is a fun, powerful car is instant. Next time, do not attempt to analyze the car or the company...instead, criticize the message, because that is where the money is made.
Old 11/15/04, 02:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Grantsdale+November 15, 2004, 1:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grantsdale @ November 15, 2004, 1:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by 2005muzzy@November 15, 2004, 3:19 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-03muzzy6
@November 15, 2004, 1:05 PM
We ought to mail him a bag of dog poo to go with our responses! :yes:

Anybody know his address?

Yeah- How can we all e-mail this guy! Brad what's the e-mail??
garfield@crain.com ... right in the first post [/b][/quote]
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was actually referring not to his e-mail address, but his actual mailing address so I could mail him my bag of dog poop.
Old 11/15/04, 02:56 PM
V6 Member

just shot this over to him:

Mr. Garfield:

I would like to start by saying that I am certainly not trying to impugn your journalistic integrity, skills or attack your intelligence in an unwarranted fashion and am merely presenting my opinion. However, I find your AdReview of the Ford "Cornfield" commercial in the AdAge from November 15, 2004 to be the most asinine and improperly researched blathering I have heard or read in some time.

I'm sure by now you've received plenty of emails pointing out the obvious inaccuracies of your writing, such as the fact that the car int he commercial is a 2005 Mustang, not a 2004. This error alone causes me to seriously question your credibility as a journalist, as it shows you have done NO research for this writing, and most likely know absolutely nothing about the new Mustang.

I am a 21-year-old college student and I am infatuated with this car. I have been following it very closely since January 2004, when the 2005 Mustang concept was released. As for you genuinely wondering what the 23-year-olds will think, I can tell you. I find this car to be one of the very best domestic automobiles released in the past 20 years, and much of America seems to as well. I suppose the one exception would be your daughter, and in this case I simply implore you to not set your daughter up to look like a fool in front of a national audience again.

I'd continue on relating to you the mistakes and misconceptions your article and thus you yourself hold about Ford Motor Company, the 2005 Mustang, the effectiveness of advertising strategies and American consumers in general, but I have far better things to do with my time. So as I go off to write a paper or do a bit of economics homework, I hope that you will take the high road. I hope that you will issue a retraction forthrightly, then read and print off all of these emails and hang them over your desk so that when you begin to write before you think in the future, you can look at them and think to yourself, "Wait, I've done this before and I made myself out to be a complete imbecile. I won't do that again".

Quick Reply: Journalist Rips '05 Mustang & "Cornfield"