2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I just broke my windshield!

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/08 | 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Easy Fix. Don't leave the door between your Garage and House unlocked...

Originally Posted by Tispco
It's not a dumb mod when there is currently a group of crooks in your town stealing garage door openers and registrations from cars then using them to break into your home and rip you off.
Old 5/2/08 | 09:23 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Black GT500
Easy Fix. Don't leave the door between your Garage and House unlocked...
That'll slow the crooks down for 30 seconds while they close your garage door so they won't be seen breaking down the door into your house.

Martin
Old 5/2/08 | 10:18 AM
GTR Member

stuff in my garage is probably worth more than the stuff inside
Old 5/2/08 | 10:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by dustindu4
because it's a dumb mod
I see you think mighty highly of yourself and your opinions ...
Old 5/2/08 | 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
stuff in my garage is probably worth more than the stuff inside
+1

I think my garage DOOR is worth more than what is inside...other than the car...
Old 5/2/08 | 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

If they are that determined, they don't need your garage door opener...

Originally Posted by mhconley
That'll slow the crooks down for 30 seconds while they close your garage door so they won't be seen breaking down the door into your house.

Martin
Old 5/2/08 | 04:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Subaru, Mazda, and a bunch of other OEMs use the SAME Gemtex Homelink/Temp/Compass mirrors and they offer the fully loaded mirror as a $249 factory option.
Old 5/3/08 | 09:54 AM
Cobra Member

I'm normally not into all the "luxury" stuff in a pony car, but I do have to say that I REALLY wished Ford had offered this mirror as an option! I would have spent the extra bucks on the option without thinking about it.

For me, I like the compass, I like homelink, but I REALLY like the OAT sensor. Ever been driving down a wet country road in the evening and wondered if the road ahead is just wet, or is it starting to freeze? Black ice is NOT fun to drive on (heck, I've busted my butt HARD before when I got out to check the road and the "wet" road had already frozen in to a smooth sheet of ice! The car handled it better than I did!) and any warning is definitely appreciated by me.
Old 5/3/08 | 10:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It's also a matter of cost. $300+ aftermarket install vs $249 factory option.
Old 5/4/08 | 11:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why not just have the dealership put it on? They screw it up, it's their dime.
Old 5/5/08 | 08:41 AM
Cobra Member

I just put my mirror in place yesterday without any trouble. It seems that Ford may have changed the mounting method at some point because my '06 mirror mounted differently than the '05 I previously had. The '05 had that metal spring clip that needed to be released with a screwdriver to slide the mirror off. It came off with a little bit of work. The '06 seemed to remove much easier, used a thin screwdriver in a few spots and it was off in a few moments.
Attached Thumbnails I just broke my windshield!-dsc00250sm.jpg  
Old 5/5/08 | 02:13 PM
GT Member

I had my windshield replaced Saturday with a Ford Carlite factory windshield at a total cost of $304. I installed the new mirror, programmed my Homelink buttons and calibrated my compass Sunday. The entire mod ended up costing $515, quite a bit more than I had anticipated, but all in all worth it.

Please just heed my advice. If your mirror seems difficult to remove STOP - take your car to a professional and have them remove the old mirror. If you happen to have a mirror that removes easily count yourself lucky. I wish I had known going into this that Ford used different mounting types at different times.

The new mirror has a Torx set screw.

Martin
Old 5/5/08 | 09:35 PM

Yes, take it to a pro. But get them to tell you their guarantee up front. A pro broke my windshield, but because of the difficulty and risk involved, they don't guarantee it won't break. I did get a new windshield at cost, but that's still $190.
Old 5/6/08 | 03:18 PM

I installed the Gentex compass/temp/homelink mirror in my '07 vert about a month ago. I slipped a small blade screwdriver into the bottom slot on the mirror bracket and eventually pushed it up as far as it would go, and the mirror slid right off. It took me about 10 minutes to get it right, but the key seemed to be sliding the screwdriver in far enough. Slide, don't hammer it in. Also, the mirror will slide off in an upwards direction, so don't push the mirror too hard trying to take it off.
Old 5/6/08 | 05:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ericw2000
I installed the Gentex compass/temp/homelink mirror in my '07 vert about a month ago. I slipped a small blade screwdriver into the bottom slot on the mirror bracket and eventually pushed it up as far as it would go, and the mirror slid right off. It took me about 10 minutes to get it right, but the key seemed to be sliding the screwdriver in far enough. Slide, don't hammer it in. Also, the mirror will slide off in an upwards direction, so don't push the mirror too hard trying to take it off.
Please do not beleive anybody when they tell you how easy it is to remove. "Just do this" and "just do that" - I tiried it all and it did not work.

Ford used different mounting system on different cars or some get jammed when installed while others don't.

I'll repeat this again:
Please just heed my advice. If your mirror seems difficult to remove STOP - take your car to a professional and have them remove the old mirror. If you happen to have a mirror that removes easily count yourself lucky.

I just want to save people from the same $300 mistake I made.
Old 5/6/08 | 05:32 PM
V6 Member

Man that really sucks!! I did my mirror this past weekend and the only problem I had was taking that darn OEM mirror off. It held me up for day cuz I was getting pissed and I'd walk away calm **** and go back at it. I finally got the largest and flatest screwdriver I had, wiggled it firmly while wiggling the mirror up and it did come off. But my mounting bracket does look different than yours! I dont know why Ford didnt use the T 20 torx set screw, its so much easier!!