Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just broke my windshield!

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/08, 04:27 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just broke my windshield!

I purchased a Gentex Homelink Auto-dimming Mirror with Compass a while back and have been trying to install it for the last several weeks. I'd work at it for a time and then walk away frustrated. No matter what I tried I could not get the stock mirror off the button on the windshield. I read numerous forum entries about how to get the mirror off, bought a special mirror removal tool, used another mirror to look at how the mirror was mounted to the button and was extremely cautious. I read all the warnings from others who had broken their windshield and was determined I wasn't going to be one of them. I never pulled away from the windshield, always along its plane. Today I was working at it again, being as gentle as I possibly could, but I broke my windshield.

I still can't get the freaking button out of the mirros base!

This is a warning to all that try this on their own - don't! Take your car to a glass shop and have them do it. Don't join the "I broke my windshield crew"!

Martin

Last edited by adrenalin; 5/2/08 at 06:25 AM. Reason: bypassing language filters
Old 5/1/08, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

That sucks man, I've been thinking about the mirror but this is what stops me from it.
Old 5/1/08, 04:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks dude! When I installed a Homelink mirror on my old 05 Mustang I didn't have nearly the trouble that you had. The only difference I can see was that instead of the fancy little mirror removal tool I used a small bladed flat screwdriver. I simply fitted it under the bottom of the mirror base and slowly used leverage to lift the base of the mirror. It took 10 or 15 minutes but the base lifted and the mirror slid right off.
Old 5/1/08, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Yah..when I worked at a tint shop we had to be VERY careful when getting some mirrors off for a front strip. If you apply to much pressure, CRACK. Sorry about your luck man..
Old 5/1/08, 05:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

oh man that sucks!!!
Old 5/1/08, 07:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry you had such trouble. I got my mirror off the first time I tried, following the instructions I downloaded. I also just had to have my windshield replaced due to a rock cracking it. Wow. You better be sitting down when you price that thing.

For future reference for others: "Insert a small blade screwdriver in the slot at the top of mirror bracket located at the windshield. Gently pry the mirror bracket away from the windshield while pushing the mirror upward and off. It was that easy!"

Last edited by 2k5GTC; 5/1/08 at 08:02 PM.
Old 5/1/08, 08:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k5GTC
I also just had to have my windshield replaced due to a rock cracking it. Wow. You better be sitting down when you price that thing.
Hey Steve, if a rock cracked your windshield, why didn't you just submit it through your auto insurance? Windshield claims don't make your rates go higher. Its why they have their own deductible options when you sign up for a policy. This would be much cheaper than paying for it out of pocket.
Old 5/1/08, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I did the exact same thing! Incredibly frustrating. I was trying to be extremely careful and crack! The guys are the glass shop were surprised to see the adhesive was still wet around parts of the original windshield because the car was so new at the time.

I strongly agree with your warning!!

This is a warning to all that try this on their own - don't! Take your car to a glass shop and have them do it. Don't join the "I broke my windshield crew"!

Last edited by adrenalin; 5/2/08 at 06:26 AM.
Old 5/1/08, 09:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey toss a brick on the seat ? plead innosence !
Old 5/1/08, 10:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2k5GTC
Sorry you had such trouble. I got my mirror off the first time I tried, following the instructions I downloaded. I also just had to have my windshield replaced due to a rock cracking it. Wow. You better be sitting down when you price that thing.

For future reference for others: "Insert a small blade screwdriver in the slot at the top of mirror bracket located at the windshield. Gently pry the mirror bracket away from the windshield while pushing the mirror upward and off. It was that easy!"
I wish it was that easy. It isn't! I think some folks get lucky and have a mirror that almost falls off in their hands and others, like me, have one that will not budge no matter what. I tried the screwdriver thing, I tried the mirror removal tool, I used a mirror to see how the spring held it in place and tried everything I could to gently pop it off, all with no luck. Once I had the mirror off in my hand I had to use a pair of pliers on the clip while hammering a screwdriver in the other end to finally pop the button out of the mount. The sping steel clip took everything I had to break it's lock on the metal button. And I'm no weakling. I can still break wheel studs quite easily - I'v just learned how to use a torque wrench. It is the strongest spring steel piece I've ever encountered. Here is a pic for reference:

The windshield is $280 delivered and installed (factory Ford Carlite glass that includes the mirror button). Not too bad. I'm paying for it out of pocket - my screw-up - I don't believe in ripping anyone off, especially when it comes out of your and my pocket in the long run.

Martin

Last edited by mhconley; 5/1/08 at 10:21 PM.
Old 5/1/08, 10:57 PM

Good pic. I just posted in the other thread. Your bracket is the same as mine, and different than the bracket on at least some of the other mirrors. Same thing for me, broken windshield. But the pro did it. Horrible design.
Old 5/1/08, 11:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry that is simply BS.

My State Farm agent insisted the same thing to me, until Corporate jacked my ZERO deductible policy up to $500 because of four glass claims in 2 years.

The useless agent claimed there was nothing he could do about it...

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Steve, if a rock cracked your windshield, why didn't you just submit it through your auto insurance? Windshield claims don't make your rates go higher. Its why they have their own deductible options when you sign up for a policy. This would be much cheaper than paying for it out of pocket.
Old 5/2/08, 12:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Red face Oh Oh

You Guys aren't making me feel Good.

I Ordered the Gentex Auto-dimming Mirror with the Mustang Forum Discount
this Afternoon.
Old 5/2/08, 01:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mhconley
I don't believe in ripping anyone off, especially when it comes out of your and my pocket in the long run.
Old 5/2/08, 05:03 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Why doesn't Ford offer the Homelink mirror as a FACTORY option, like every other manufacturer?
Old 5/2/08, 05:47 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

because it's a dumb mod
Old 5/2/08, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dustindu4
because it's a dumb mod
A dumb mod? I did mine to get temp, homelink, compass, and dimming feature. Not a dumb mod at all.
Old 5/2/08, 06:45 AM
V6 Member

The Ford design on attaching the mirror is awful. I would definitely go to a glass shop to get the mirror off. A glass guy I used came to my house and removed the mirror and didn't charge me anything. The Gentex that replaces the OEM mirror comes with a T 20 Torx screw. I noticed the other day that the OEM mirror on my Dakota truck comes with a set screw but you know Ford they probably saved $.05 a vehicle by using this crappy spring.
Old 5/2/08, 07:46 AM
Bullitt Member

I have a little nick on my windshield. I don't know where it came from. Only have 5000 miles on the car. Looks like this windshield is very fragile.
Old 5/2/08, 08:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dustindu4
because it's a dumb mod
It's not a dumb mod when there is currently a group of crooks in your town stealing garage door openers and registrations from cars then using them to break into your home and rip you off.

Quick Reply: I just broke my windshield!