2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I finally got to actually sit in one.

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/04, 10:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
OMG. I SO want one now. If this is a 'review', mods, ok, fine. I want to tell!...

The dealer I do work for had me over to do work (imagine!) and they had a redfire with the grey interior, cloth, IUP, auto V6. I got to play with it, no driving, for all I wanted.

After only seeing pictures, and at the auto show only getting to view from 6-18 inches away, it was nice to actually put my hands on it. I'll get to drive one at the innovation drive thingy this Saturnday at the horsey track, if it all goes right, but to actually get to sit in it, well, that was my big thing. I'm sure it'll drive great!

First thing, checked out the window trick. THAT is neato! Just a small move, but huge dividends in air/rain issues. Very neat.

After I gawked at that a couple of seconds, I got in it. Non-power seating. Sigh. Oh well. The cloth is awesome. I love it already. I will like my GT with it, I can tell. But gotta get the power seat.

Oh well. I got the seat racheted up where my poor little legs (I'm short) can reach the pedals, figured out the Probe style raise/lower thing, tilted the back, uh, back just a little...

:yes:

I turned on the parking lights so I could see the cluster better, closed the door, and just sat for a couple of seconds with my hands on the wheel. The cluster is teh b0m0rs. I love it. That's a must, those four gauges. So IUP it is.

I agree with someone else that said it, the stalks are a bit far away for the turn/wipers, but manageable. I was somewhat surprised at the non-tilt wheel, but the moveable box-wheel a-la Probe and others. Not so great, but hey, it worked out for me. Nice wheel position and everything.

Except for those nits, the car is awesome from a driver standpoint. Shifter, controls, everything in easy reach. BTW, the registers for the A/C are great. Nice feeling, I played with them to be sure. Simple, hardy feeling design.

I am SO wanting one now. :worship:

But the BIG test: Does it really fit me? Can I get in/out with the seat where I need it to be?

Answer: HECK YEAH!!! That really is a big issue for me. The 94-04s I can't use, due to the weird contortions I have to put myself into to get in/out of the things. On occasion, sure, but as an owned car? Nope. So I was relieved when I got right on out and right back in. Yay.

And, at my driving position, you can actually sit in the back. I did. Although my poor legs aren't a good gauge of pax comfort, if I can, most of my peeps can. Although I did hit my head a little on the back glass. Slightly claustrophobic back there. And it's not the easiest to get back out of. But hey...

I don't care. I want it anyway, so too bad for the back-seaters!

I didn't drive it. They only had two there, the redfire/grey IUP, and a mineral grey/tan base. I am going to say this: The Non-IUP version of the steering wheel and auto shifter is not very attractive to me. To each their own if you disagree. But the rest of the interior is very good looking even without the IUP.

That said, I would not want a non-IUP car. IUP light, yeah, I could do that, actually. In the grey. The tan is (wave hand in the 'eh' style) Black could work. But the four gauges are the problem, so Full IUP for me. Wait city, oh well.

And I am somewhat disappointed with the auto shifter handle overall. It looks ok, but doesn't really fit one's hand very well. Not that that matters to me, really, I'd be gettin' the 5 speed GT goodness.

Overall? Great job! My lusting has gone up a few notches. Now, if only I could get one in my car port...

P.S. Did I say the car is awesome? Ok.

/"He likes it! Hey Mikey!" - dang that commercial, but it's appropros here.
Old 11/10/04, 05:58 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you liked it and I hope it works out for you to get one.
Old 11/10/04, 06:53 AM

I sat in one Saturday as well and loved it. I am 5 foot 2, and in my 350Z my chest was literally touching the steering wheel to be able to reach the clutch, and with the Mustang I didn't have to have it up near that far. It was way more comfortable than my Z, but I'm glad it has the window feature like my Z had. Now I'm ready to scale down my wedding and order the Mustang instead :P
Old 11/10/04, 07:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

The first one I sat in was Mine as I drove it off the lot! I saw 2 in July but they both were locked up. It's just as well too because It made taking mine home even that much better. Pictures coming Monday or Tuesday. I am buying a camera this weekend. Thanks Kluski
Old 11/10/04, 07:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by houtex@November 9, 2004, 11:21 PM
OMG. I SO want one now. If this is a 'review', mods, ok, fine. I want to tell!...

The dealer I do work for had me over to do work (imagine!) and they had a redfire with the grey interior, cloth, IUP, auto V6. I got to play with it, no driving, for all I wanted.

After only seeing pictures, and at the auto show only getting to view from 6-18 inches away, it was nice to actually put my hands on it. I'll get to drive one at the innovation drive thingy this Saturnday at the horsey track, if it all goes right, but to actually get to sit in it, well, that was my big thing. I'm sure it'll drive great!

First thing, checked out the window trick. THAT is neato! Just a small move, but huge dividends in air/rain issues. Very neat.

After I gawked at that a couple of seconds, I got in it. Non-power seating. Sigh. Oh well. The cloth is awesome. I love it already. I will like my GT with it, I can tell. But gotta get the power seat.

Oh well. I got the seat racheted up where my poor little legs (I'm short) can reach the pedals, figured out the Probe style raise/lower thing, tilted the back, uh, back just a little...

:yes:

I turned on the parking lights so I could see the cluster better, closed the door, and just sat for a couple of seconds with my hands on the wheel. The cluster is teh b0m0rs. I love it. That's a must, those four gauges. So IUP it is.

I agree with someone else that said it, the stalks are a bit far away for the turn/wipers, but manageable. I was somewhat surprised at the non-tilt wheel, but the moveable box-wheel a-la Probe and others. Not so great, but hey, it worked out for me. Nice wheel position and everything.

Except for those nits, the car is awesome from a driver standpoint. Shifter, controls, everything in easy reach. BTW, the registers for the A/C are great. Nice feeling, I played with them to be sure. Simple, hardy feeling design.

I am SO wanting one now. :worship:

But the BIG test: Does it really fit me? Can I get in/out with the seat where I need it to be?

Answer: HECK YEAH!!! That really is a big issue for me. The 94-04s I can't use, due to the weird contortions I have to put myself into to get in/out of the things. On occasion, sure, but as an owned car? Nope. So I was relieved when I got right on out and right back in. Yay.

And, at my driving position, you can actually sit in the back. I did. Although my poor legs aren't a good gauge of pax comfort, if I can, most of my peeps can. Although I did hit my head a little on the back glass. Slightly claustrophobic back there. And it's not the easiest to get back out of. But hey...

I don't care. I want it anyway, so too bad for the back-seaters!

I didn't drive it. They only had two there, the redfire/grey IUP, and a mineral grey/tan base. I am going to say this: The Non-IUP version of the steering wheel and auto shifter is not very attractive to me. To each their own if you disagree. But the rest of the interior is very good looking even without the IUP.

That said, I would not want a non-IUP car. IUP light, yeah, I could do that, actually. In the grey. The tan is (wave hand in the 'eh' style) Black could work. But the four gauges are the problem, so Full IUP for me. Wait city, oh well.

And I am somewhat disappointed with the auto shifter handle overall. It looks ok, but doesn't really fit one's hand very well. Not that that matters to me, really, I'd be gettin' the 5 speed GT goodness.

Overall? Great job! My lusting has gone up a few notches. Now, if only I could get one in my car port...

P.S. Did I say the car is awesome? Ok.

/"He likes it! Hey Mikey!" - dang that commercial, but it's appropros here.
non-tilt wheel?

The wheel tilts, the tilting lever is on the bottom.
Old 11/10/04, 03:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
No, the wheel doesn't tilt, it moves up and down. Or put another way, the wheel's top doesn't come toward you or away, it moves up and down only.

So, no tilt. It's a vertical adjustment wheel, not a tilt wheel.

But that's ok. It works fine.
Old 11/10/04, 03:06 PM
FR500 Member

welcome rudy
Old 11/10/04, 03:25 PM

thanks