2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad is driving manual in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/05, 07:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the manual, even as a daily driver. When you get stuck in traffic, just think of it as a leg workout

Seriously though... the only time the manual really annoyed me was when I was stuck in stop-and-go rush hour traffic in Chicago for 2 hours... that pretty much sucked.
Old 10/25/05, 08:19 PM
V6 Member

I drive one hour to work each day and an hour back - on a GOOD day - and my commute is 25 miles.

So as you can see, going 25 miles in one hour or more means I spend most of my time in first, second or third and then back down. I probably shift at least 200 times a day!

And this car is GREAT for the commute. Clutch is very light. I installed a short-throw shifter, mainly because I wanted a cool mod, but it's also great because I'm not rowing back and forth with longer throws.

No problems. FYI, I'm 44 and my left kneecap has been seriously dislocated 4 times (like, fully out of place - last time, it wound up back on my calf muscle), and this is an excellent way to keep it in shape. Before this, I was driving a manual-trans Chevy truck for 10 years on the same commute.

Best thing about it, is the nimrods and asshats don't even phase or bother me anymore. I've actually become a more polite, courteous driver because I now feel so bad for these poor buzzards in their Audis, Toyotas and BMW's. And if someone cuts me off, I chuckle because we all know I could mop 'em up on an open road.

Best purchase I ever made for commuting.

As for dealing with starting off on a hill, sorry but that's easy stuff to handle. You'll learn how to heel-and-toe it pretty quick and with a tap on the gas as you slide your foot off the brake and slip the clutch out, you're off. I haven't rolled back one inch yet, and part of my commute involves creeping up a hill with others.
Old 10/25/05, 09:29 PM
GT Member

These are some great accounts of drivers and their experience with manual trannys.

I do love a manual and I'm not really considering other wise from getting one.

We can admit that a manual comes with it's own set of issues that one must consider when making a decission as big as buying a new $30,000.00 car.

I have had 4 manual transmittions and 6 automatics in my years of driving, I am 42 now.

I learned and took my drivers test in a 1972 Gremlin 3 speed.
Next to a 1968 VW squareback.

My last manual was a 1978 King Cobra, that had a high pressure performance clutch, fun car to drive but traffic was a bit of a chore.
Old 10/26/05, 06:50 AM
V6 Member

You also mentioned an anti-rollback device - if you really wanted to, you could upgrade to an aftermarket shifter (highly recommended) and some of them offer options to add a line-lock button on the shifter **** that will engage the front brakes when held down. This is targeted for dragstrip use but works well for the ol' uphill start also.
Old 10/26/05, 12:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mike,

I re-read your question and your latest reply. It looks like you want to be reassured on day to day manual use. Not a problem there. The newer MTXs are light and smooth. Even in performance cars. You'll love it.

Even in heavy LA traffic jams it became second nature, but not a chore.

I learned to drive a manual on a 61 Comet and a 52 Chevy (without doors) "three on the trees" farm beaters back in 1971. Over the years I've had seven manuals and ten automatics. The last manual was a SHO and the last auto was a Mark VIII. That Mark VIII would have been a blast with a 5 speed manual!

Someday I'll get another manual as a second or third car. But for a daily driver I still prefer a automatic...at least for now.
Old 10/26/05, 02:04 PM
GT Member

If you're really nervous on hills with someone on you're butt at first, you can always use the Ebrake. My friend that taught me a standard is from Germany and when he tested there years ago... you'd fail if you didn't engage the Emergency Brake in a manual when stopped.... and it works great for when you're unsure on a hill. Stop, engage it... when you take off, you'll feel the clutch engage then release the brake.