Notices
2010-2014 Mustang News on the Previous Generation Mustang

SCCA Track Night in America = a blast!

Old 7/25/15, 08:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Hey guys, I haven't been on this site for a while, but stopped by to make sure y'all know about these track nights . . .

To everyone who was wondering if you should get your Mustang out on a road track -- the answer is YES you should!

"SCCA Track Night in America" is about the easiest way I know to do it. Check out their web site at link below for dates. They generally run from 3-9 pm during the week -- which keeps the cost down and you don't even have to take a full day off from work.

Track Night in America

I just did the July 22 event in Thompson, Connecticut and it was great. I ran in the novice group. I was afraid that the traffic might be pretty bad -- novice group is pretty popular and there were something like 25? cars on the track at the same time -- but it really wan't bad at all. I did get stuck behind some slower cars a few times and have to wait for a passing zone and point-by, and had to let a couple others by, but not a big deal; no problem getting spread out so you can focus on the track instead of the other cars.

The only small downside to these events, is that there are no in-car instructors. So just take it fairly easy, especially if this is your first time on a track, and you should be OK.

They even had a photographer at the track, showing his skills and promoting is business with free pics. That's where the attached pics came from. Check out Home | Clarus Studios for some great race photography.

Warning / disclaimer: it is immediately addictive! I have already signed up for the next one at Thompson, which is August 6.
Attached Thumbnails SCCA Track Night in America = a blast!-scca_track_night_in_america_tsmp_20150722_gb6_2257.jpg   SCCA Track Night in America = a blast!-scca_track_night_in_america_tsmp_20150722_gb7_1840.jpg   SCCA Track Night in America = a blast!-scca_track_night_in_america_tsmp_20150722_gb7_2114.jpg   SCCA Track Night in America = a blast!-scca_track_night_in_america_tsmp_20150722_gb7_2396.jpg  
Old 7/25/15, 10:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Awesome, glad you had such a good time! Track days are a blast! You might consider this: http://locktonmotorsports.com/product/hpde-insurance
Old 7/25/15, 12:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts
Great pictures, and looks like a ton of fun.

I totally agree, I got my car with the purpose of it being a weekend warrior. Late model Mustangs feel really good on the track, and that's one of few places you can hold the throttle down for more than a few seconds and see what the car is really capable of.
Old 7/25/15, 12:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde View Post
Awesome, glad you had such a good time! Track days are a blast! You might consider this: http://locktonmotorsports.com/product/hpde-insurance
+1 on this. I use Lockton for insurance of my HPDE events. $200 for a weekend is not too bad for the piece of mind. I have not had to make a claim so far (knock on wood), so I can't comment on how good the service is. There is a 10% deductible, but walking away from $3000 is a lot easier than walking away from $30,000.
Old 7/25/15, 02:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Awesome! Great photos. Love my 2011 GT on the track, so much fun. I checked the website, and they don't have events close to me (Las Vegas), bummer.